Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair Transplant, and other options

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar

Hair Transplant, and other options

just curious if anyone on here has thought about this option, or considered any alternative to going bald. I have been going bald for the past 5 years, and am now 30. I don't really care too much, but everyonce in a while i look in the mirror and think of what if I was to do something about it. just curious if any of you have done something about it, or just stayed natural, or done any other options.

If I ever start to go bald I will most definitely do something about it. Bosley or Rogaine or something. Luckily I have a thick head of hair. I have started greying though. Right now it blends great and is only really noticeable in my beard been I don't shave for a week or so. When it starts getting bad I'll start coloring it again.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I have a thick head of hair, but I have always said that I ever start going bald then I will just start shaving it.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

I use a thickening spray and a coffee shampoo, I'm 34, and the last few years have been thining, but it's all still there. I take kelp tablets and when going out use a thickening spray. Which makes my hair look so full. Well worth the investment.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Baldness runs in my family, and I started to notice it happening to me in college and started taking Propecia. It stopped the receding and replenished a little That had thinned on top, and I'm still on it nearly 15 years later. It's not covered by insurance and is crazy expensive, but it's working for me and so it is worth it to me.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Thin on top but still there. I am thinking of calling Bosley if I can scrape up the money, but I have not done a lot of serious research as of yet. Because of the way I am balding - front to back, rather than back to front - I am told Rogaine wouldn't help.
    Last edited by Dave-Man; April 8, 2014 at 05:46pm.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

I am sure most of the replies are from men, so let me give you a woman's perspective. When I was 24 years old I lost all of my hair due to an extreme adverse reaction to the Hep B vaccine (it irreparably damaged my immune system). It started out in patches, but in three months time I was almost completely bald except the top. Because I had such long and thick hair to begin with, it was almost impossible to tell that I was missing most of my hair underneath.

Then one day I was in the shower washing my hair and I heard a sickening thud as a giant clump from the top came out. I decided that I was tired of being victimized by this horrific turn of events and I took my hair loss into my own hands. I went to my stylist and had her shave my head. I am now 35 and my hair has never grown back. To add insult to injury I have also lost my brows and lashes.

I rock the baldness every single day instead of wearing the very expensive wig I had custom made for my wedding. I do not identify myself as a haired person, I have a really hard time wearing a wig. I feel like it is super fake and just not me. When I came home with a shaved head that day, I inspired my best friend and his father. They had been wearing hair systems for years and decided if I could rock the bald look then they could too. Their former stylist always tells me that I cost her money, but she is glad I inspired them and gave them confidence.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you should do what makes you happy, but being bald is not the end of the world. I met my hubby after I lost all of my hair. We have two beautiful children who do not know that Mommy is different than any other Mommy (and I hope some cruel children do not change this). At the end of the day you have to love yourself. I do not mind being bald, but I do miss my eye lashes and brows (ha!).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Thin on top but still there. I am thinking of calling Bosley if I can scrape up the money, but I have not done a lot of serious research as of yet. Because of the way I am balding - front to back, rather than back to front - I am told Rogaine wouldn't help.
    I have heard this as well. that is the way I am balding. I have heard that the creams/foams like rogaine only work on the back spots.

I'm loosing mine little by little but I honestly don't care. For years I had long hair and loved it but one day I got sick spending so much time on it every morning that I cut it all off. Since then I have never looked back. I like it short and the hair loss I can live with.

I'd be more upset if I was losing my facial hair. I love my beard and can't live without it. In fact I think I'm gaining more facial hair while loosing scalp hair.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I am sure most of the replies are from men, so let me give you a woman's perspective. When I was 24 years old I lost all of my hair due to an extreme adverse reaction to the Hep B vaccine (it irreparably damaged my immune system). It started out in patches, but in three months time I was almost completely bald except the top. Because I had such long and thick hair to begin with, it was almost impossible to tell that I was missing most of my hair underneath.

Then one day I was in the shower washing my hair and I heard a sickening thud as a giant clump from the top came out. I decided that I was tired of being victimized by this horrific turn of events and I took my hair loss into my own hands. I went to my stylist and had her shave my head. I am now 35 and my hair has never grown back. To add insult to injury I have also lost my brows and lashes.

I rock the baldness every single day instead of wearing the very expensive wig I had custom made for my wedding. I do not identify myself as a haired person, I have a really hard time wearing a wig. I feel like it is super fake and just not me. When I came home with a shaved head that day, I inspired my best friend and his father. They had been wearing hair systems for years and decided if I could rock the bald look then they could too. Their former stylist always tells me that I cost her money, but she is glad I inspired them and gave them confidence.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you should do what makes you happy, but being bald is not the end of the world. I met my hubby after I lost all of my hair. We have two beautiful children who do not know that Mommy is different than any other Mommy (and I hope some cruel children do not change this). At the end of the day you have to love yourself. I do not mind being bald, but I do miss my eye lashes and brows (ha!).
    thank you for sharing your story. I agree with the love yourself comment. that is why I am not freaking out. I don't mind the way I look, and its obviously part of life, but occasionally I think, what would it look like if I chose to use something. glad you have found happiness and peace in the situation.....

I actually have the opposite problem. My hair growth is accelerating every year. I have to cut it every week or two (depending on how short I go).
    Of course, you usually look like crap immediately following a haircut, so it's a 24/7 struggle for me just to avoid looking ridiculous.

I have learned how to cut it myself because it was just costing too much money.

A guy at work used rogaine n it made a difference on him.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Yeah, well unfortunately I was still in high school when I started losing my hair. I was like 15 or 16 when it started to thin. I already had a bald spot when I was 17. So, it hit me early.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Has anybody here ever tried Bosley, and how did it work out for you?
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I have a friend who has had a receding hairline since I met him and he began using Propecia and his hair grew back. If I had not met him before he started using it, I would not have known that he ever had hair loss.

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    I have a friend who started going bald at 17, and he is now 23. He's embraced it and looks good with a shaved head. His girlfriend loves it. Consider that and do your research before you start taking a drug to treat your hair loss. The negatives may outweigh the positives.
    Last edited by CapricornDefender; April 9, 2014 at 01:08pm.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I discovered I was balding at 21. It was pretty much gone by the time I was 23.

At times, I really miss having hair. But, I shave my head, and I save a lot of money on haircuts - haven't had one in seven years now. I had asked my dermatologist about options, just for the heck of it, and he said to me "Don't you think if there was a sure-fire way to reverse baldness, we'd be all over it?"
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

I'm probably not qualified to comment on this thread, as my hair is quite thick, but I keep it practically shaved (I buzz it down to 1/8" every week). I constantly get grief from men who are bald/balding saying to me, "If I had hair, I wouldn't shave it!"

My advice for bald/balding men, if I were in your shoes: concentrate less on your hair and more on your bodyfat. Men who are cut/muscular can rock a bald head and look awesome. Low body fat really brings out the bone structure in your face, giving you a define jawline and cheeks. That's the way to go, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post

Thanks for sharing your inspirational story.

For a guy to lose his hair is one thing, but a woman….. that’s something else.... I'm sure people would look at you and think to themselves your on chemotherapy fighting cancer.

I've started receding at the temples and thinning on top about five years ago, but I do not have a have a bald spot at the back. I started using Rogaine and I am confident it has slowed it down but not stopped it all together. So don't listen to people who say it only works for bald spot at the back as that is not always the case.
    I really can't believe their isn't an effect treatment for it yet.
    When I first started noticing my thinning I got lots of good information from some forums I'll try to find the URL for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I use a thickening spray and a coffee shampoo, I'm 34, and the last few years have been thining, but it's all still there. I take kelp tablets and when going out use a thickening spray. Which makes my hair look so full. Well worth the investment.
    Whats the thickening spray you use mate? I might give that a go.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

I'm actually thinking about shaving the sides down real fine and etching in the old lightening bolts, as in high school.

trsut me, you don't need that

Quote Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
    Thanks for sharing your inspirational story.

For a guy to lose his hair is one thing, but a woman….. that’s something else.... I'm sure people would look at you and think to themselves your on chemotherapy fighting cancer.
    Happy to share if it helps. I get a lot of hugs from people. My hubby used to think it was weird and now he just accepts it - LOL. He met me after I lost my hair, so you think he would be used to it by now. I get to hear a lot of really inspiring stories. I have come across some rude folks, but for the most part people are curious or sympathetic. I am just grateful for my many blessings. I think getting 'sick' so young forced me to settle down and focus on what was important. Plus it saves me a ton of dough. Do you know how much money I spent on primping before? LOL!

I was on Rogaine for a long time starting in college. The topical formula stains clothes and bed sheets if it isn't completely dry. The foam works so much better but I wish they would put a sunscreen factor in it. I went on a combo of Rogaine and prophecia after grad school. I had sexual side effects with the propecia BUT it helped with the hair growth tremendously. I was thinning mostly in the back and have some receding at the temples. Neither Rogaine nor propecia did anything about the hair loss at the temples. After a while, Rogaine can lose its efficacy. I was on it for about 10 years and then it just wasn't working anymore. Please please please read the warnings on the side of the box for Rogaine. I have had some heart problems (irregular heart beat, AFIB) within the past couple of years and went off both of these to see if one was influenincing it. When I try going back on Rogaine I get a tightness in my chest after about two weeks of use that goes away after I stop using it. My doctor said it can get into the bloodstream because it is absorbed through the skin. It's original use was for blood pressure regulation and hair growth was just a side effect so it makes sense it can affect the heart.

Currently I am off both so I lost a lot of hair at the crown. Noticeably so since people comment on it (mostly my tall friends). I have looked into hair transplantation but not with bosley, with a center just outside of Chicago. I went in for a consult for the FUE method where they remove individual groups of hairs, not the strip method that results in the long scar. I would say I am a 3V or a 4 on the Norwood chart. The estimate they gave me was $12000 and that was a year ago. That would cover my crown, and about a finger's width lower at each temple. That's a lot of money. The problem is that it doesn't prevent future hair loss with the rest of your hair so they recommend Rogaine and propecia even after the transplant and that's something I can't do with my heart condition. When I asked what happens when I lose more, they told me to come back in and pay for another procedure. I'm currently 40 and decided to just go short with the hair. I had/have thick curly hair I was just starting to enjoy after years of hating it, but with the hair loss at the crown, it looks awkward. So, now it's short and I use a lotion with sunscreen daily.

Hope all of that helps.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I'm bald and I'm proud of it. I started with a small bald spot on the back of my head in my late twenties. I looked at all the options, but there really is no permanent cure. The pills and creams cost money and they will eventually stop working. Transplants will eventually stop working. I embraced my baldness because I realized that's just how I am. I don't worry about about it. I shave my head once a month and a run a hair trimmer through it once a week. It never hindered me with the ladies when I was single.

Get over your self esteem issues and just embrace your baldness.

Snapshot_20131018_1.JPG
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!