Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: War waged on adult toy collectors! Sign the petition

War waged on adult toy collectors! Sign the petition

The story so far...

WAR WAGED ON ADULT TOY COLLECTORS - Why you should be concerned

Gamers have to deal with it, Barbie doll collectors have to deal with it, now it’s the adult action figure collectors turn.

Let’s be upfront here, this is censorship. Instead of leaving it up to consumers to decide what they will and won’t purchase, people are now pushing for items to be removed from store shelves. It’s Prohibition all over again, but with action figures.

You may not have heard about the recent controversy, involving the Breaking Bad toyline that was, yes was, on sale at Toys R Us.
    Susan Schrivjer of Fort Myers, FL took great offense to the Breaking Bad adult collector figures being sold at Toys R Us. So much offense that she started a Change.org petition, gathering 9,300 supporters. The petition can be found here... http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...<br /> <br />

Toys R Us has since removed the figures from shelves and even went so far as to post to their Twitter account “Re: BB "Let's just say, the action figures have taken an 'indefinite sabbatical.’”
    The problem here, and this is Soccer Mom Censorship at its worst, is that by taking this action they are both offending and alienating their adult toy collector customers.

Daniel Picket of Actionfigureinsider.com has started his own petition to get the figures back on the shelves, citing that this is not just about the Breaking Bad figures but about the larger principle in question. Daniel Picket’s petition has gained over 6,000 supporters in a fraction of the time as Susan Schrivjer’s. His petition can be viewed here. https://www.change.org/p/toys-r-us-k...<br /> <br />.

He also posted an eloquent follow up here... https://www.change.org/p/toys-r-us-k...ion_update_ema

I’ve been paying close attention to this growing issue, I’ve heard it on my biased in the Soccer Mom’s favor local CBS morning news, I’ve seen it all over Facebook, and the first argument that people make in defense of Susan’s petition, is that adult toy collectors have no business collecting toys. That we’re weird. Flawed. Creepy even. I’m offended. Completely and totally offended. Don’t believe me? Check this news article... http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...tilised-are-we I can’t make this stuff up. We’re being stereotyped. And don’t think this isn’t a slippery slope, because it is. What’s next? Video Games (again)?, Transformers because they have guns? He-man and She-Ra because they dress to scandalously?, GI Joe because they’re too violent? The Road Runner because he’s so mean to Wile E Coyote? Truth be told, the Breaking Bad figures are rather bland. I mean, I can’t imagine a child going out of their way to even want one, I’m and adult collector and I’m don’t see the appeal. But I do see the larger issue at hand. I get that a couple of meth cookers isn’t ideal for kids. But if you’re a good parent, your kid isn’t watching Breaking Bad, recognizing the characters, and probably doesn’t care about the toys.

This is a time where adult collectors of anything considered outside of the box, like video games, action figures, comic books, anything sci fi, we need to band together. Sign Daniel Picket’s petition.

In the spirit of compromise, want to put the Breaking Bad figures on a higher shelf? Different aisle? Glass case? Okay, fine, (I think they’re in a different aisle anyway). But to pull them completely isn’t the answer. Just remember, your hobby is probably next.
    Last edited by jzachery; October 23, 2014 at 04:18pm.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

just signed. this is the dumbest thing ever.

The links you posted aren't finding anything on the website....has chang.org taken the petition down?

Edit:
    Nevermind, did a search on the site and found the petition.
    Last edited by wayne-klops; October 23, 2014 at 03:54pm.
    Here's how to end the line:
    2015 200x Mini-Sub: Evilseed, Calix, Prahvus, Horde Wraith, Miro, Veena, Hawke

2016 line: LordMasque, Vultak, Granita, Despara, Dylamug, Hunga, General Sunder,Tuskador, Crita, Lodar, Quakke, Darius

Quarterly items: Sagitar, Stridor, Night Stalker

Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Because, you know, it's not like we played with toys based on adult movies like Aliens or Terminator or Robocop back in the day or anything.

Signed.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Signed, no brainer.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Signed....
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Toys R Us is a private store and can choose what it wants to sell and pull from the shelf at any time. This is not a big deal. The toys can be purchased elsewhere.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    I have mixed feelings.

Personally, I wholeheartedly believe that toy stores should be for kids. The idea that they have toys out for Meth dealers is insane to me. However, I also think it ridiculous that Breaking Bad is singled out when it is on the shelves right between Sons of Anarchy and Rambo...

On a separate note however, it really isn't anything new. Even in the 80's we had Robocop and Rambo toys and those weren't properties designed for kids either... Though they DID get cartoons eventually... which is a whole other level of insanity...

There are way too many avenues for 'adult collectors' that they don't need to complain about Toys R Us not selling them on the store one aisle over from TMNT and Star Wars.

As for 'a separate aisle' Their separate aisles are a joke. You have a row for Star Wars/Transformers, TMNT, Superheroes, and 'everything else' Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy were right next to the Mario and Video game figures at my store.
    Last edited by phantom1592; October 24, 2014 at 05:47am.

I had an awesome Rambo figure with a super sweet knife when I was 8. I had no clue who Rambo was at the time but I remember seeing the comercial and wanting the toy so St. Nick brought it. I grew up fine...lol. im not going to buy a figure with meth for my kid. But seeing it isn't going to hurt them.....they shouldn't even know what it is honestly. I don't think it sets a good precident to start banning adult collecters lines from a Toy Store like Toys R Us though. So I signed it.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I had an awesome Rambo figure with a super sweet knife when I was 8. I had no clue who Rambo was at the time but I remember seeing the comercial and wanting the toy so St. Nick brought it. I grew up fine...lol. im not going to buy a figure with meth for my kid. But seeing it isn't going to hurt them.....they shouldn't even know what it is honestly. I don't think it sets a good precident to start banning adult collecters lines from a Toy Store like Toys R Us though. So I signed it.
    It was a different world back then.

I also had a Robocop and a Rambo... and eventually a Terminator with no idea who they were. But it REALLY made me want to find out who they were and watch the shows...

Back then we were able to see them on TV edited down to something a bit more appropriate with parental supervision... Nowdays they have so many 'extra channels' that they don't do that anymore.

I signed. I know TRU is aimed at kids (duh) but they should maybe think about having a adult collector isle or something of that nature.

Signed.

This is ridiculous. So, you can have a little girl play with an animated human corpse (Monster High) but not have them see an action figure on the toy shelf with a fake meth accessory? I mean, just don't let kids buy the figure!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

This is in no way a first. Anyone else remember in the late 90's/early 2000's when WWE released an Al Snow figure? Parents had stores pull the figure because it came with a "decapitated" head, which was really a mannequin head that Al Snow talked to. But parents who didn't follow the product got their way and the figure was gone.

Oh no. A children's toy store won't sell action figures of meth cookers. The sky is falling.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Heroic Warrior
    Late 80s Freddy Krueger doll was not exactly well received by parents
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

the dumbest thing about this is kids SHOULDN'T know who these characters are and thus wouldn't even look twice at these figures. it's a non issue. some old realistic looking white guy and some grungy teen/20 something, what kid would want that figure?
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I lead with, what was called for was extreme but.

I will say I think one of the worst things to happen to mass market toy aisles was the inclusion of figures aimed more at adults. They take up space for stuff that should be aimed more at children. Walmart, Target, K-mart should never have included figures like this in the first place (DCUC, Marvel Legends, this past week I saw Game of Thrones). Yes as collector it's convenient but it's probably not helped bring up children into action figures. I think those figures should be found more at places like Hot Topic, Hastings, Comic book stores, Gamespot (when related to video games). I think however Toys-r-us should be a middle ground, but with some responsibility in regards to the stuff aimed more at adults.

This last week I went on vacation and I think entered 4-5 Toys-R-us, two were express which there wasn't any problem with but then the regular ones there was a slight problem. The toys in question are mostly gathered together and put on one aisle. Exceptions which are aimed more at adults but acceptable for children being the vintage TMNT figures, and some other items that are like that. The adult aisle was typically more towards the back of the action figures, but was really more a half aisle and on the other side you had anything from TMNT, Superheroes, budget figures etc on the other side. As a general rule the aisles are set up based more on popularity but that's in general, a few times this aisle wasn't that deep into the store. Very easy for a child to accidentally to find. So they are being pseudo responsible in that they realize there is potential for an issue but haven't fully done what they need to do (what they should do will come in just a minute).

I agree they shouldn't know who the characters are, but everyone here from the 80s raise your hand if you got action figures from lines before they got media examples include He-man, G.I. Joe, TMNT, Transformers. It still happens people find something they think is appealing and pick it up. Granted the figures in question probably shouldn't be too appealing to children, and we can argue that the above are done in different styles but main point being I could see it happen.

The real solution is to gather up everything aimed specifically at adults, this also includes Star Wars Black, TMNT Classics, Marvel Legends, and really fill up the adult aisle. Put it further in the back of stores with more buffer from things like the cars and probably bikes etc, and have employees keep a sharp eye on the aisle in question. You don't have to label the aisle specifically but if all that is done right there it will be less of a problem. Parents also need to help and watch where their kids are going, and be aware that the aisle exists.

for me this is less war on adult collectors and more of trying to fix what can be a problem. yes parents should take responsibility for raising their children, but so should others in helping them it takes a village to raise a child so the saying goes.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I It still happens people find something they think is appealing and pick it up. Granted the figures in question probably shouldn't be too appealing to children, and we can argue that the above are done in different styles but main point being I could see it happen.
    if it were to happen it would be a rare case, and likely the kid is buying it for artistic reasons (resembles someone they know or they show and interest in realistic sculpts) other wise the odds that a kid would buy a breaking bad figure is VERY low, and the odds that it will inspire that kid to become a meth dealer are even lower. I get your point but these retailers are going where the money is, I don't know what percentage of their customer base is adult collector, but it seems enough for them to have started an adult collector focus.

From what i hear it's hard enough to get kids to buy toys based on shows they love, it isn't very likely they will be buying toys based on shows they have no interest in.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I agree they shouldn't know who the characters are, but everyone here from the 80s raise your hand if you got action figures from lines before they got media examples include He-man, G.I. Joe, TMNT, Transformers.
    True, but there are a few arguments to make on that.

Many of those toys were made to be visually appealing to kids, and especially with the likes of Transformers, have features and gimmicks to draw kids in. If we could somehow travel back in time to the 80s and put some Breaking Bad figures (with no one in that time knowing what they are) next to the likes of MOTU and Transformers, somehow I doubt that they would have the same general appeal, and kids in general would likely have no interest.

Additionally, the market for toys is simply different today. Action figures as a whole amongst kids aren't as popular as they were when we were kids. Outside of the current TMNT line (which is an anomoly in today's market), you don't see many lines having a lot of playsets, vehciles, and the like anymore. And that became popular through the new cartoon. These days action figures aimed at kids are not gaining popularity under their own merrit with little to no media support. Instead the ones that do anywhere from moderately well to really well are the ones that are based on well recognizes properties that kids are familiar with. While there could always be the occasional one-off exception here and there, I doubt that most kids these days are choosing toys based purely on the toy, itself, without some kind of other media support. With all of the media and other forms of entertainment out there today, the market is a lot different than it was when we were kids.

And with that being the case, I think that's a big part of why Toys R Us expanded into the market of adult collector focused toys. Since kids aren't collecting toys today to the extent as when we were kids, they expanded their market into other areas to do what they can to make as much money as possible under the circumstances.

The real solution is to gather up everything aimed specifically at adults, this also includes Star Wars Black, TMNT Classics, Marvel Legends, and really fill up the adult aisle. Put it further in the back of stores with more buffer from things like the cars and probably bikes etc, and have employees keep a sharp eye on the aisle in question. You don't have to label the aisle specifically but if all that is done right there it will be less of a problem. Parents also need to help and watch where their kids are going, and be aware that the aisle exists.
    Why should collector-aimed toys of kid-friendly properties like Star Wars, TMNT, DCUC, Marvel Legends, etc, should be separated in the same manner as figures based on Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones?

While a toy line may be more aimed at collectors, if the property is something for all ages, I don't see why those toys should be completely removed from the kids aisle. It's not like the toys, themselves, are unsafe for kids. I can see doing a better job of separating out anything based on more adult oriented properties (i.e. shows like Breaking Bad, or R rated movies), but the rest makes no sense. Even if kids aren't the target audience of those particular toy lines (TMNT classics, DCUC, Star Wars black, etc.), a sale is still a sale. There's no reason to try to hide those from kids.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; November 3, 2014 at 10:52am.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Is Toys 'r' Us even relevant anymore? I have none nearby to me as they have all closed and I live in a major metropolitan city.

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    Oh no. A children's toy store won't sell action figures of meth cookers. The sky is falling.
    Yes, they should stick to tried and true mass murderers and insane killers like the Joker, Carnage, Venom and the like.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Response to the first, it's more just preventing the rare situation that it happens. Idiot proofing is all, just like in most places you handle food you aren't supposed to have certain cleaning supplies like bleach within like 20 feet of the product, yet for certain cleaning purposes you need that stuff. The rule just keeps the rare chance of an accident from happening from happening.

I question how often kids do pick up the more adult designed figures. Like you said in response to the other aspect. Not saying a kid wouldn't be likely to pick them up, and the reason is simply to fill up the collector aisle. If you are going to make an aisle for collectors go all out and do it, don't fill up half an aisle and let parents push you around when their kids accidentally find the meth dealers.

Also all ages for the property not all toys are for all ages, small parts, some figures aren't designed for heavy play while others are.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Response to the first, it's more just preventing the rare situation that it happens. Idiot proofing is all, just like in most places you handle food you aren't supposed to have certain cleaning supplies like bleach within like 20 feet of the product, yet for certain cleaning purposes you need that stuff. The rule just keeps the rare chance of an accident from happening from happening.

I question how often kids do pick up the more adult designed figures. Like you said in response to the other aspect. Not saying a kid wouldn't be likely to pick them up, and the reason is simply to fill up the collector aisle. If you are going to make an aisle for collectors go all out and do it, don't fill up half an aisle and let parents push you around when their kids accidentally find the meth dealers.

Also all ages for the property not all toys are for all ages, small parts, some figures aren't designed for heavy play while others are.
    But even if a kid WANTED a walter white figure, does anyone think that would make him a meth head or dealer? Hell as he-man fans how many of us are body building barbarians?

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    But even if a kid WANTED a walter white figure, does anyone think that would make him a meth head or dealer? Hell as he-man fans how many of us are body building barbarians?
    But not many of us had a secret revealed to us one day when he held aloft our sword and said a magic phrase.... Or found out our midichlorian count was really high...

Most likely if that happens to a kid there was a problem already. So don't arguing against that.

Queen of the evil Horde AlexisLasek's Avatar
    But not many of us had a secret revealed to us one day when he held aloft our sword and said a magic phrase.... Or found out our midichlorian count was really high...

Most likely if that happens to a kid there was a problem already. So don't arguing against that.
    I have a high midichlorian count and therefore weild a red lightsaber and one day when held it aloft I became a heroine! I am so confused I'm sith by night and heroine by night augh!

NOTE:

I sprained my knee on halloween (my fav holiday) and am in pain so I am a little out of it. Wish the hospital gave me something better than tylenol though lol.
    We need a Snake Teela and Critta in MOTUC! The snakemen and Space mutants are the only factions without a girl in them!