Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So...Deadpool is getting his own movie

So...Deadpool is getting his own movie

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/2009..._top_eo/122412

Los Angeles (E! Online) – It's official: The mutants are taking over Hollywood. And we're not talking about the freaks running the studios.

Following the monster weekend for X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and a day after announcing that a Hugh Jackman-powered sequel is in the works, 20th Century Fox has confirmed to E! News that Jackman's costar Ryan Reynolds will be given his own spinoff and potential franchise-launcher as the Marvel Comics antihero Deadpool.

The 32-year-old Canadian actor, otherwise known as Mr. Scarlett Johansson, will again star as Wade Wilson, a wisecracking, cancer-stricken mercenary who's cured of the disease after undergoing the same Weapon X genetic alteration as Wolverine.

But along with superhuman powers, enhanced strength and self-regenerating healing powers, the slightly unhinged Deadpool can absorb the abilities of dead and captured mutants.

Aside from Deadpool and the Wolverine sequel, Fox is also working on an X-Men spinoff focusing on Ian McKellen's villainous Magneto and another dubbed X-Men: First Class, which is being written by The O.C. creator Josh Schwartz.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Co-Creator of the NV
    I heard about that yesterday. It doesn't surprise me, but I wonder how badly they hurt his character with what they did in Wolverine.

Good for him, Ryan Reynolds is awesome.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Well, the bits of XM:O with Reynolds as Wade Wilson were pretty damn good.

Do I like what they did with "Deadpool"? No. That having been said, it was never stated in the movie that Weapon XI was, in fact, Wade Wilson. That, coupled with the fact that it wasn't even the same actor in the makeup (Scott Adkins was XI), provides the movie makers plenty of leeway to do a Deadpool movie free from the continuity drek that was XM:O.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    Well, the bits of XM:O with Reynolds as Wade Wilson were pretty damn good.

Do I like what they did with "Deadpool"? No. That having been said, it was never stated in the movie that Weapon XI was, in fact, Wade Wilson. That, coupled with the fact that it wasn't even the same actor in the makeup (Scott Adkins was XI), provides the movie makers plenty of leeway to do a Deadpool movie free from the continuity drek that was XM:O.
    yeah that's true but given what the first post said it looks like they are going with what happened in that movie. As far as i know Deadpool can't absorb abilities in the comics.

I really dislike how they chose to handle Deadpool. The character was ruined for me. I will not see this movie and I hope it gets scrapped. I would like to slap the face of the man who thought altering Deadpool in such a drastic, and redundant way would be 'cool'

In regards to Origin movie version of Deadpool becoming Weapon XI, it was rather vague. I don't believe it was ever matter-of-factly stated that Deadpool was Weapon XI. I've only seen the flick once so I could be wrong but it felt more like they used Wade as the first part of the 'dead pool'. Which just happens to be Weapon XI.

I'm going to go on to suggest that the quoted statement is not a direct press release as it gets a basic certain fact which IS stated in the Origins movie, wrong. It is not stated nor suggested in the XMO:W movie that Weapon XI absorbs powers at all. It was specifically mentioned that they used genetics to create him. That much was made completely clear and I doubt the studio PR team would make such a mistake.

That being said, I have a conflicting opinion on if they will continue with Deadpool as Weapon XI.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
    After the credits are completely over there is a scene of Weapon XI's blade retracting through the rubble revealing his hand which then moves over to grab his own head. The mouth is no longer sewn shut and he says something akin to 'shush'.

That makes me believe that they may possibly continue with him as Deadpool.

So now how will they be able to say Weapon XI isn't Deadpool? Easy, they never said he was in the movie. In the credits he's listed as Weapon XI, not Deadpool. How can they explain Wade coming back to life, that's also easy. Just like the comics he was given healing abilities. Another reason for the 'not Weapon XI' column, how could you make a movie about the bad guy and actually get people excited about it (which I also think will be a problem for the Magneto movie)? I understand the whole anti-hero thing but it would take so much effort to get people to think of Weapon XI as a good guy.

I would hope that if the studio payed any attention to the people who have been very vocal about the Weapon XI thing then they'd fix it. Normally I'd say that they could stray a bit to get a larger audience appeal but I don't think it applies here. Deadpool isn't a household name. The fans are the ones who are going to be dragging their friends to see yet another comic book movie. This isn't like Spider-man or X-Men where their names are to comics as Nike is to shoes. There isn't going to be much of a general audience who is going to just see it because it's listed on the now playing marquee. They need the fans. Period. You can't **** them off or the movie will flop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ink F301 View Post
    In regards to Origin movie version of Deadpool becoming Weapon XI, it was rather vague. I don't believe it was ever matter-of-factly stated that Deadpool was Weapon XI. I've only seen the flick once so I could be wrong but it felt more like they used Wade as the first part of the 'dead pool'. Which just happens to be Weapon XI.
    well they didn't outright say it, logan looks at XI and says "Wade?" sees the mouth sewn up and says "looks like they finally found a way to shut you up." so it's implied that it IS wade Wilson, but just like spider-man 3 did with Sandman killing uncle ben (groan) they could shoe horn in a reason why it wasn't him or something clumsy like that - thing is as of now the movie has mot of the public that has seen it believing XI is Wilson. that ending you posted wasn't in all the prints, the one I saw had wolvie in Japan.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I don’t understand why they make a movie about this character instead of X-Men 4.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhelmsley View Post
    I don’t understand why they make a movie about this character instead of X-Men 4.
    Deadpool if done right could be a very strong franchise for them. So far they have ****ed it up in every way possible, but I think they are aware of his potential upside and how big he can be.

X-Men 4 on the other hand could also do quite well, however it is a lot more costly to do due to the sheer number of mutants involved, as well as the concerns and prices of bringing back Jackman and Berry. I suspect they are hesitant to make a movie without Wolverine and Storm (although I really wish they would), but they are likely unsure if they can get them back (Jackman might not stay around for ever and it makes sense to milk the Wolverine franchise before he moves on).

I would much rather have X-Men 4.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Also keep in mind that in the movie, the one scientist told Stryker that all the mutation add-ons hadn't fully taken hold yet, but he was to be activated anyway, so most of the crazy powers will probably disappear, leaving him with a few choice ones for his franchise.

I'm actually pretty excited for this. I'd love to see a movie with Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool, and hopefully with some care given to the script.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

I really really really love the character Deadpool and had always been a huge supporter of Ryan Reynolds to play the role... so when I found out what they had done to him in the Wolverine movie I was understandably upset and have refused to see the film because of this (I was actually only going to see the film because it had DP in it and still may at some point...or just wait for the dvd)

Now again I am in two minds, I mean I really want DP to get his own series of films because he is a kick-ass character that combines great action with laug-out-loud comedy (at least in the comics)...but they are using the movie version of him which I have to say I can't stand the sound of.

Oh and for those who are s saying "I would rather have X-Men 4" you do realise the creation of one does not exclude the other. Just because a DP film is possibly being made that does not mean there will be no X4
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Now again I am in two minds, I mean I really want DP to get his own series of films because he is a kick-ass character that combines great action with laug-out-loud comedy (at least in the comics
    He's pretty funny in marvel ultimate alliance as well

Heh true, in fact no matter what team I put together in that game I always have him as a member

This being a Deadpool movie, I actually hope they come up with a completely ridiculous explanation as to how Weapon XI turns into 'normal' Deadpool.

The movie could even start with Deadpool giving a comedy recap of the Wolverine movie, insulting it, and saying something like 'they did some experiments to me, I turned into a freak, had my head cut off, and due to some very complicated things that I don't really understand I am now fully recovered and back to normal.'

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    That, coupled with the fact that it wasn't even the same actor in the makeup (Scott Adkins was XI), provides the movie makers plenty of leeway to do a Deadpool movie free from the continuity drek that was XM:O.
    That's wasn't Ryan Renold's as Weapon XI??? Are you sure? It looked a lot like him!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    That's wasn't Ryan Renold's as Weapon XI??? Are you sure? It looked a lot like him!
    from what i understand 99% was a stunt man for the fights, they used cgi to make the close up look like renolds, similar stuff they used on stewart and mckellen to make them look younger
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Quote Originally Posted by byinfernoslight View Post
    This being a Deadpool movie, I actually hope they come up with a completely ridiculous explanation as to how Weapon XI turns into 'normal' Deadpool.

The movie could even start with Deadpool giving a comedy recap of the Wolverine movie, insulting it, and saying something like 'they did some experiments to me, I turned into a freak, had my head cut off, and due to some very complicated things that I don't really understand I am now fully recovered and back to normal.'
    That would work for me as it is totally over the top and just fits the character

Quote Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
    mckellen
    he was in the movie?? I don't recall seeing him.

And I'm the same ways Wolfsfang. I always put deadpool on my team when i play that game.

i am also wondering how they will rectify what happened to him in the wolverine movie?

i know about the ending but still you have to wonder why they did what they did in the movie.

if the deadpool in the deadpool movie is ANYTHING like the deadpool in the hulk vs. wolverine movie i will see it twice. he was HILARIOUS in that just like he should be.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Sheboygan,WI(Home of the Worlds Biggest Bratwurst Celebration)
    I havent seen X-men Origins yet,but I love Ryan Renlods.That guy is funny as hell.With the lastest spinoff,this would make it his 3rd Marvel movie right?
    My active ebay items for sale.http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/taddow...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    --------------------------------------------
    GOOD TRADERS
    jbaw2, Dr.Omega, Andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it, tmcclurg, celticsfan, THEGODBEAST, Venom77713, Royalt1us, racerx, davidlogan, granbeetle, MOTU SAN JOSE 2, prime731,galaxywarrior,Butterflyer,Creasy Bear.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by BURTDAWG View Post
    I havent seen X-men Origins yet,but I love Ryan Renlods.That guy is funny as hell.With the lastest spinoff,this would make it his 3rd Marvel movie right?
    Ya, this is #3

I don't think they should ignore what has happened to Wade, but I think they should work around it. They should set the movie in the present X-men time line and have wolverine and Rouge working together, (assuming she is getting her powers back.) I think that rouge should absorb some of deadpools powers permantly from him. Therefore they could kind of revert the character back to what he was before.

(I also making the assumption that once Rouge gets her powers back they will work slightly more like in the comic, than in the x movies. )
    Windblown Advocate since 200x

I'd certainly prefer they did away with most of the "weapon xi" nonsense.
    There was a line about how the powers/dna they were grafting to him hadn't fully bonded.
    Perhaps they could just have his healing factor "reject" all of those less than savory additions to the merc with a mouth.
    Bill :: guitargod694