Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious what fans think - do you want a cost reduced 20.00 figure?

Hybrid View

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar

Curious what fans think - do you want a cost reduced 20.00 figure?

I've seen a lot of comments today on Facebook about Fangman not being worth $25/$27.00. I wish it was less expensive to make these figures but reality being what it is, production/material costs have risen necessitating this price increase (that in all fairness we announced back in July!).

As we start looking at a potential 2014 line, do fans want the same quality/accessories and package we have now, or would you prefer we found ways to cost reduce the figures back down to $20.00? This would likely include things like very minimal packaging (i.e. a polly bag), no accessories and reduced deco.

What say you? Keep as is or go for a less expensive version of figures that can come in closer to $20.00? Just curious what everyone's thoughts are.

Scott

I dont want poly bagged figs with no accessories. I want what we have for the price we are paying, if that means the paint aps are great and the accessories are worthy. I think with the higher price we should continue to get 2 accessories per figure and I do not count, nor have you in the past, a cape as an accessory.

Heroic Warrior
    Poly bags, but not reduced deco or quality.

I'm fine with what we have now. If something is going to be reduced, I'd go with poly bags.

Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) is back!! Crow's Avatar
    Keep everything the same. Most figures are around $20-$30 in the collector markets. The New 52 JLA figures are $20 each and nowhere near the MOTUC quality. I want the same quality I've been getting since 2008 (which I know some people will say "what quality? Matty's QC stinks, etc."). If we are going to finish this line in the next 2-3 years, let's keep everything consistent. This is the BEST toy line out there!! It doesn't take even a dollar a day to buy one figure (excluding shipping, tax). If you're buying 2 figures, like I am, it's not really that hard to budget. I have a family and bills like many others and I can still reasonably afford to buy these dollies and other things. If people don't want to buy them at these prices then that's perfectly understandable. Everyone has their limits. I, for one, am not ready to give up on this line
    Crow T. Robot
    "Mike, what the hell is this?!"

"Into the sea of waking dreams, I follow without pride"---Sarah McLachlan Possession

Heroic Warrior
    I would be fine with figures of the same quality and number of accessories but in far simpler packaging. I'd be fine with a polybag and a bio card, but then again, I'm not a MOC collector. You could also get rid of that white mailer box to save money.

Don't cut paint apps. If anything, scale back the accessories released per figure and then put additional newly tooled ones in weapons packs once a year.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Please leave things as they are Scott. People have to stop thinking on the cheap and looking for 2008 prices as that only takes away from every figure (paint deco, cut accessories etc).

I want the great looking deco and all the accessories the $5.00 sub increase promised. I'm tired of cut accessories or black plastic being used to cut cost on mattels end when prices have increased for raw materials. Fans just have to accept that they had a great $20.00 run for 4 years straight and now they have to pay $25.00 as a sub holder or $27 if they choose to cherry pick.

Why are you listening to the "loud minority" now, Scott? You never used to before.

Don't listen to the "loud minority" saying Fang Man is not worth $25/27. He most certainly is worth it! He's a great figure with excellent paint applications and 3 accessories. That's fantastic.

In answer to your question, Keep MOTUC AS IS. The packaging is great and I consider part of the collectible factor of the figure. Maintain the higher level of paint applications and accessories. It's these high level qualities that make the line worth collecting and stand out above other toy lines. It's why so many other brands have tried copying it.

We love MOTUC for how it is. It's the greatest toy line on the market. Making it anything less would defeat the point of making them and, more to the point, collecting them. DO NOT let the last years of MOTUC be reduced to something less than great.

If you cost reduce MOTUC, you'll end the line prematurely. More people will stop buying the figures, because no one will be satisfied buying something "sub par" to what they used to get, knowing it could have been better.

LEAVE MOTUC AS IS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    Why are you listening to the "loud minority" now, Scott? You never used to before.

Don't listen to the "loud minority" saying Fang Man is not worth $25/27. He most certainly is worth it! He's a great figure with excellent paint applications and 3 accessories. That's fantastic.

In answer to your question, Keep MOTUC AS IS. The packaging is great and I consider part of the collectible factor of the figure. Maintain the higher level of paint applications and accessories. It's these high level qualities that make the line worth collecting and stand out above other toy lines. It's why so many other brands have tried copying it.

We love MOTUC for how it is. It's the greatest toy line on the market. Making it anything less would defeat the point of making them and, more to the point, collecting them. DO NOT let the last years of MOTUC be reduced to something less than great.

If you cost reduce MOTUC, you'll end the line prematurely. More people will stop buying the figures, because no one will be satisfied buying something "sub par" to what they used to get, knowing it could have been better.

LEAVE MOTUC AS IS!!!
    Amen! Perfectly worded my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I'm almost solely a MOC collector. I think there would be a big hit in sales if figures didn't come MOC.
    I open mine now, I am ticked I tossed the older bubbles prior to October (except the Blastic painted figures, I still kept them carded, but since opened them, but still have the ability to recard them)....but everything new since I open (except Shadow Weaver), but either leave it carded, or display it loose, leaving me the option for both forms of display....And doing so, I agree I for one would be ticked to loose the packaging, even though I open them, I still keep it. And I have plenty of room to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    I am fine to pay for what it is now, an I will continue to support the Classics brand till its end [REGARDLESS OF COSTS].
    But if we can drop $1 or $2 by using only [pollybags ONLY as packaging] but not loose any accessories to cut back a $1 or $2... to get some fans back on board the brand... I say go for it, as I display them loose anyway.

BUT PLEASE DO NOT CUT ANY ACCESSORIES OR DROP QUALITY!!!
    I will not buy anything new, especially since we already have 4+ years of packaged figures, without packaging. I may open my stuff now, but I want my packaging. I'll just stop collecting MOTUC and spend my money for Transformers and other things that have packaging. Especially for $20+ (plus $10+ shipping) figures....hell no.

No Bagged figures.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; January 16, 2013 at 10:38pm.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I don't know where this all came from but the criticism is nonsense and to respond to it would damage this excellent MOTUC line.

Please TG, keep the packaging and current level of accessories. MOTUC are not statues. These cool figures need their weapons and indeed I have been looking forward to seeing what Easter Eggs the 4H might give us in future after seeing Zodak's head, the Grayskull Orb of Power and Stand, the Strobo meteorite, the Time Wheel and Randor's chalice.

We need more of these nostalgic items not less, and if tht means we pay $27 then I'm more than willing to hand over my hard earned!

I certainly do not want poly-bagged figures. Yuk.

MOTUC is a great line as it is - stick with it.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post

LEAVE MOTUC AS IS!!!
    Absoulty Right.
    I could not say it better.
    By the Way, a Collectors Line without a Packaging,How mad is this thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu-Berlu Reg View Post
    Quoted for truth.

Toyguru : stop listening the haters on-line, most have no clue about what they are talking about. Keep doing what you've been doing so far. It's fine as it is, and I don't mind the necessary price increase at all. Those figures are worth it as they are (and that's coming from somebody who bought thousands of MOTUC figures since the line debut).

Also, keep the more "obscure" characters coming (Netossa, Fang-Man, Karatti, Octavia, Geldor...). That's because of this type of characters that this line is so awesome and enjoyable to collect.
    And to people only interested in the "main characters" : go back to 2002 and collect 200X stuff.
    I hated 200X's toy line.

The main characters to me were butchered, therefore saying to go collect 200X if you want the main characters is not going to mean very much, when Classics by it's very design is to give the fans the direct translation of the original figures into modern articulated toys....so, one can't very well go back to a failed line that bears little resemblance to the original figures and be expected to be satisfied with it, when the Vintage figures are what they wanted....Classics is that line....obscure characters are second rate to the main guys....no matter how much you want them.

I like some of them myself, but numbers don't lie, and apparently more people spoke and said no more obscure characters for now, finish the Vintage figures....this is how the line started with Vintage figures....they should all be done before the line ends....otherwise the main original objective of Classics is an epic fail.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

One of the things I'm finding maddening about this topic is... MOTUC has taken several giant steps forward lately.
    We've had news that Castle Grayskull sales have far exceeded Mattel's expectations.
    Granamyr sold out in less than a month, and is considered such a success (blew the Wind Raider out of the water!) that they are contemplating more large, expensive items for the line.
    Netossa, the very first $25/$27 MOTUC figure and the first- let's just say for fun "poorly received"- figure of 2013, sold out in just two days and is winning over the majority of naysayers once they open her and see what a fantastic figure she turned out to be.
    Early samples of Ram Man, Jitsu, and Fang Man seem to be getting the fanbase very excited about the next few months of products. Folks over at The Fwoosh are happily reporting tight joints, excellent paint apps, and no reversed parts or any of that sort of QC issue.
    A good chunk of subscribers were pleasantly shocked to find their Netossa arriving either ahead of the sale, or on the sale date.
    NYTF is less than a month away and everybody is enthusiastically speculating like crazy as to what the future will hold.
    Rumours of additional outside-the-sub Filmation product being revealed is piquing fan interest.
    So, yes, it just maddens me that this topic has reared it head and has nearly 500 responses and 10,000 views in just a little over 24 hours when I think the brand manager knows the answers already, yet somehow they just can not be implemented for whatever reason.
    I hope curiousity has been satisfied and we can move on and forget about this- go back to being excited about these upcoming releases- and let the behind the scenes folks do their jobs and sort all of this out behind the curtain, without coming here and firing a gun in the lobby to scare everybody into crying out: "Everything is fine! Please leave it alone!"
    That's pretty much what this thread has succeeded in doing.
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    Poly bags, but not reduced deco or quality.
    I don't want the quality to be reduced or accessories.
    Although I don't mind if additional accessories are sold in accessories/weapon packs.
    The box & card I just recycle except for the bio.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    I'd rather keep things the way they are. If we can get to the end of 2015 without another price hike, I think fans will come to accept the new price, and the benefits of it.

Packaging really doesn't matter to me, but paint deco and accessories are what put this line above and beyond a retail line, and what make them so much better than even the 200x line. So much was sacrificed for price-point, and that's why the Stactions look a hundred times better than the toyline.

The figures we're getting are top-quality. If you can do that for less money, great. If not, don't mess with the current formula.
    My 2016 Wishlist:

2.0s: HE-MAN, Teela
    Filmation: KITTRINA, Vultak, Dylamug
    200x: VEENA, Prahvus
    NA: CRITA, Staghorn, Quakke, Butthead
    Concept: RED BEAST, Tony Guerrero He-Man

I'm almost solely a MOC collector. I think there would be a big hit in sales if figures didn't come MOC.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Fang Man not worth $20, but Jitsu is? He comes with three weapons just as Jitsu does.

Don't listen to the haters, TG. Leave the line as is. Bios and all.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Fang Man is the epitome of what we should be getting for $25. Great sculpt, three amazing accessories, and a nifty bio. I personally don't understand what all the fuss is about in regards to this particular figure. I could see the argument being raised, and being addressed by Mattel, for characters such as Stratos (zero accessories) or Netossa (one accessory + cape, which has never been counted as an accessory before). But Fang Man? C'mon. That's just anti-FILMation talk.

As far as cost reducing...I do not want to see a decrease in paint apps or accessories. I am okay with alterations being made to the packaging, though I would like to continue receiving bio cards.

I wonder if you could ship bimonthly, dual or tri-carded figures that are related to each other and save on packaging (and pass that savings along to the consumer) that way?

Glimmer and Angella

Stonedar, Rokkon, and Granita

Shokoti and Lord Masque

Madame Razz and Loo-Kee

Blade, Gwildor, and Saurod

Despera vs Flutterina

Dragstor vs Extendar

...for example...

The only way I could see cutting accessories as being a good idea is if all off the planned accessories (Meaning 2-3 items PER CHARACTER) were all to be released quarterly in a weapons pack, along with other repaints).
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Things are perfect now!!!!
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    I dont want poly bagged figs with no accessories. I want what we have for the price we are paying, if that means the paint aps are great and the accessories are worthy. I think with the higher price we should continue to get 2 accessories per figure and I do not count, nor have you in the past, a cape as an accessory.
    i agree 100% (especially the part about the cape)

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Keep figures as they are at $25.00; however, many fans have problems with paying that much for an adult collectible, then the quality being poor or Matty/DR customer service being very difficult to work with as documented time after time, incident after incident.
    this cannot be stressed enough.

customers are not just paying for the product they are also paying for a quality product and customer service. these things are built into the price that your customers pay for these items and when they are lacking, customers will complain about the price.

Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    Keep it as-is! The people who are complaining about the price increase have no clue how lucky we have it. Trying to compare the price of this line to full retail doesn't work... I liken it to something more direct, with limited production, like DC Collectibles' Ame-Comi figures which, in the same timeframe that MOTUC has been around, went from a starting $40 price tag to the last figures sporting a $70 price tag. A 75% price tag is hard to swallow, especially when for almost a whole year the figures produced were straight up repaints of previously released figures released at or near the original pricing.
    this is true. many people here and on other sites seem to have never taken an economics class or have no experience with manufacturing. they should be ignored when they fail to grasp these concepts.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

Snappy Threader
    I don't collect MOC so my opinion is obviously skewed, but I would totally go for poly bag (as long as they are packed good). I don't want lower quality though, I want them to last years and years. As far as accessories, I would be ok with fewer accessories, they could always be offered in weapons packs down the road.

As an opener, I'm cool with minimal or even no packaging. If that alone was enough to bring down costs, go for it. A reduction in deco or accessories would likely make me a non-buyer, however.
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

I think Mattel needs to cost reduce SHIPPING.

The fact that DCIE Sub Saint Walker figure (which was shipped separately from my 2 MOTUC Sub figures) costs $18, but had a grand total of $34.95, after shipping and tax on shipping, is INSANE.

My two Netossa figures, which have yet to arrive, came to a grand total of $71 and change. Yes, NYC tax is 8.875%, but the shipping is really too much.

I don't believe that shipping should be that high... plus, Digital River is one of the very few companies that has the gall to charge tax on the shipping because they claim that it is "shipping and handling." I don't know any company that I have ordered from recently that does this. It's clearly a cash grab for them.

Offering this line via another distributor will save the Sub in 2014 and 2015... well, that, and making a super popular figure like Scorpia the Exclusive will help.

Another point: Non-U.S. customers, who make up a decent amount of your customer base, or rather did prior to 2013, were priced out of the Subs.

Instead of charging a bigger Subscription Fee, you tacked the price increase onto the figures. That raised customs charges a LOT.

I've seen your replies to this in other threads and forums, where you basically say, "tough, it's a U.S. based line." That's an inadequate response, and a foolish one. You anger and alienate your non-U.S. customers, and in the internet age, there really is no such thing as a U.S. market, unless you want to limit your ability to grow the brand.

Just some suggestions.

I've been a loyal customer the whole time Matty has been around. I won't bother going into how ridiculous Digital River can be (there have been a lot of instances where Digital River has actually come through and I, and others, have posted about that, praising them).

But if you could make my 2 MOTUC Subs each month with a corporate rate UPS shipping charge of $10 or $12 INSTEAD of $15.10, or in the case of my 0.93 lb. Saint Walker figure at $14.10 shipping (plus tax on that shipping), I'd be a happy camper.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Don't change a thing! If you lose the packaging, you will anger the entire MOC collector community.

Mattel needs to consider releasing the figures outside of the monthly schedule though to help people save on shipping costs. Sell/Ship 3 figures quarterly and not monthly.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella