Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 425 of 863

Thread: Curious what fans think - do you want a cost reduced 20.00 figure?

  1. #401
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I dunno. This is just my opinion, but I feel like most of those MOC collectors will make the transition to become MIP collectors. There's still going to be that: "I need a backup figure" and/or "I need some extras in polybag to sell later on" mentality. And for the folks that we do lose completely, I'm thinking they would be replaced and overall sub sales would increase due to a lower price-point.
    I disagree. I get 2 subs and one is so I can keep one in the packaging, which I like. If they get rid of it the I'll only be getting one sub. Poly-bags do not make a good collectible. Can you name any high quality collector lines that offer their product in poly-bags?

  2. #402
    Heroic Warrior darthdrew13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Little Elm, TX
    Posts
    506
    Here's a thought...

    Keep producing NEW figs at the current pricing schedule and if slots are harder to fill, reduce the number of "NEW" figures in a calendar year. (NEW figs like the stuff coming soon in 2013 for example)

    Produce Re-Released figs with reduced accessories in poly bags at the lower price point for those collectors that want cheaper figs they can fill holes in their collections with and also get custom fodder at a lower cost. Re-using molds should easily cost less as there are no development costs. Examples: Teela which only comes with a sword and shield (using the EXACT same deco, or very slightly altered) so I can finally have her. Sorceress would still have to come with her staff and Zoar (plus stand) but may not need to have the attachment for Zoar. Fisto could be re-released in vintage deco only (minus the 200x gear/head) and maybe later on in the 200x set-up.

    That way, we get the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. Hardcore, purist-like and MOC collectors still get great figs in great packaging and more casual collectors get figs they need for their collections. I think this solves so many problems/issues in an easy way.
    Take it easy,
    Drew

    Looking for: deals on MOTUC Roboto, King He-Man, Meckaneck, Zoar (from Sorceress) and more!
    Have to trade: A couple MOTU vintage, GIJOE (vintage 3.75 inch and 25th Anniversary figures and vehicles), Star Wars, Transformers (movie line), and Marvel Universe and a few Marvel Legends, plus MORE!.

    darthdrew13's B/S/T

  3. #403
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I never said it wasn't.

    I said it wasn't FAIR. Nothing I said was false.

    Learn to read and not make assumptions.
    I read quite well, thank you - let's not degrade the discussion into personal insults.

    Saying it isn't "fair" to discuss a fact is simply false. If its a fact, then it's perfectly open fodder for discussion and there is nothing "unfair" about it.

  4. #404
    Heroic Warrior sirsniffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jersey City, NJ
    Posts
    1,397
    How about something like a potato chip bag that is sealed and inside is a baseball card size bio?

    totally kidding...

  5. #405
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,554
    Quote Originally Posted by affleck13 View Post
    Polly bags sounds like a great idea
    Someone should just start a thread now about all the loose accessories damaging the deco of the figure in shipping.
    Pics only so toy guru can weed through them with ease

    HAHA, exactly. But At $20, there will be no accessories. So no worries! So dumb.

  6. #406
    Angast's #1 fan Bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Windy City South Suburbs
    Posts
    4,009
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    I read quite well, thank you - let's not degrade the discussion into personal insults.

    Saying it isn't "fair" to discuss a fact is simply false. If its a fact, then it's perfectly open fodder for discussion and there is nothing "unfair" about it.
    Then stop making assumptions based on my comments. You clearly put words into my mouth that were not true.


    The packaging is just as important to MOC collectors as the figure. Now that's a fact! Comparing one to another isn't FAIR.

  7. #407
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,554
    For everyone that feels the issue isn't the cost of the figure, but in reality the shipping costs. Just copy and past the following:

    It's NOT THE FIGURE PRICE, Scott. IT'S THE SHIPPING.

    Maybe if enough of us post it he'll see it like he saw those four people on Facebook.

  8. #408
    Heroic Warrior Stratos*Major's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    MS, Gulf Coast
    Posts
    2,297
    IT'S POLL TIME:

    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-YOU-sacrifice

    I tried to think of it all if I missed something vote other

  9. #409
    Heroic Warrior sirsniffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jersey City, NJ
    Posts
    1,397
    It is the shipping actually. That is what stops me. I have paid $30+ for these MOTUC figures on other sites, but I feel like Mattel should be giving us a break on it to encourage us to buy direct and subscribe.

    I guess the money has to go to all the artwork, licensing, and six figure salaries for execs, I know the money ain't going to those sweatshop workers in China, Indonesia, and India. They likely get paid in mare's milk and old Monopoly game pieces.

  10. #410
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    The packaging is just as important to MOC collectors as the figure. Now that's a fact!
    Quite honestly, sorry, yes that is a fact.

    Take the packaging, and what do you have a ****** off loose collector that has been forced to
    either still collect the figures the way someone else has made it so, or not collect the line at all.

    Great compromise!

    Either collect the line like a loose collector and deal with it, or get out....so yes, it's a fact the
    packaging is as important to a MOSC collector as what's in the packaging. Hence being a MOSC
    collector in the first place....
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  11. #411
    HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    4,233
    Ok, Riddle. So you say "we don't know the details", then say "TG is telling the truth on shipping". Which one is it? Yes, shipping has gone up across the board in recent years, but if we can't speculate that they are gouging on shipping, you can't speculate that he is being forthright.

    By the way, the prices I mentioned from BBTS were for one MOTU classic figure vs the shipping for one MOTU classic figure from Matty. And the invoice I got from Matty on the last figure sent was one pound. All the rates I mentioned were for domestic shipping. Why would Matty/DR NOT be taking advantage of flat rate shipping costs for individual figures? It simply doesn't make sense. It's not like Ontario, CA is some rural area with no access to post offices or UPS facilities. There are five post offices in Ontario. And while there will always be a little variance, an extra 50% seems excessive.

    And this:
    Then, you have the possibility of negotiated rates involved as well. Again, it can get pretty involved.
    This is exactly what has peoples' dander up. We feel like the "negotiated rate" is artificially high.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

  12. #412
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    102
    Don't change anything!


    It's hard to discuss the product price if we do not know what the costs for producing the figures,
    the accesories, the packaging and the costs for shipping, distribution (DR) etc and of course Mattels profits are.

    Toyguru said that the actions necessary to achieve the reduced pice would
    "... likely include things like very minimal packaging (i.e. a polly bag), no accessories and reduced deco."

    That are three different actions (packaging, accessories, deco).
    But he didn't say how much would be saved by the individual actions.
    Lets say they used "minimal packaging" but kept the accessories and deco. How much would they save? 50 cents?
    We do not know.

    Some people here seem to assume that changing the packaging alone reduces the price by $5.
    But that is obviously not the case.

  13. #413
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,641
    Quote Originally Posted by JKM View Post
    Don't change anything!


    It's hard to discuss the product price if we do not know what the costs for producing the figures,
    the accesories, the packaging and the costs for shipping, distribution (DR) etc and of course Mattels profits are.

    Toyguru said that the actions necessary to achieve the reduced pice would
    "... likely include things like very minimal packaging (i.e. a polly bag), no accessories and reduced deco."

    That are three different actions (packaging, accessories, deco).
    But he didn't say how much would be saved by the individual actions.
    Lets say they used "minimal packaging" but kept the accessories and deco. How much would they save? 50 cents?
    We do not know.

    Some people here seem to assume that changing the packaging alone reduces the price by $5.
    But that is obviously not the case.
    Exactly, not to mention....this line will never unless it's made retail be reduced in price....it's all hypothetical sarcastic BS
    started with the claim that a small bunch of people on Facebook were complaining they didn't think Fang Man was worth $27

    It's not really about Shipping, Packaging, Accessories & Deco....it's about that....pretty much Filmation haters not liking Fang Man....wow.
    The line is fine so long as the sub prices do not go above $25....the only way a poly bagged figure will happen is if the line
    were to die and that was the best and cheapest way to finish the few figures that were tooled at the time.

    Now I know there are some that don't like Fang Man, but we all know it's mostly a Filmation hatred....whoopee....And that same type
    of hatred wants a Vintage MOTU pure line....well, you're not getting it, and the figures are $25 - $27.... I don't like it, many don't like it,
    but the only way to help is reduce shipping, or find other means of distribution for these things....if other places and other direct online
    retailers (not referring to Amazon) can offer cheaper shipping....so can DR, and better yet, if third party sellers like BBTS a self contained
    non contracted by a major toy company company, can sell using cheaper shipping options....so can DR.

    If they can't can them for a company that can handle simple things like coding pages correctly....but we know that won't happen, so
    everything in these pages is pretty much moot.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; January 17, 2013 at 11:32pm.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  14. #414
    Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,099
    LEAVE AS IS

    Scott, for my money I'd rather have the same and better quality with the increase in price (not that I want an increase in price) than have an underpainted, accessoryless figure in a baggy. First of all the 4H's work is too fantastic to undermine it by throwing their work in a baggy and ending their ability to add even one accessory to a figure because of cost. I know this already happens to a degree because of cost but I don't think this would be that great. It reminds me of when Hollywood started using models of the General Lee for the jumps in The Dukes of Hazzard because of the cost...It just wasn't the same and the show got cancelled.

    Secondly, I am a loose and MOC collector and I display both versions. So I definetly want my MOC figures. If worse came to worse the figure is the most important part but the packaging is worth something to me with the figure in it. I also do believe the packaging will keep the intregrity of the figure intact for display and add to its long term value. I realize that at some point you guys are looking at another increase and maybe sooner than you can admit. Everything in life just keeps going up in price and I see no end to it so Mattel's material cost is just going to increase. Yes I would have taken a Ram Man in a bag if that's the only way I could have gotten him but I'd rather not have to go there, at least not yet. When it gets to the point where you're at $40+ dollars for one figure shipped on the way to $50 shipped for one figure then I'm going to really start feeling it a little more. Others will drop off and the line will suffer. You've even said it yourself that at some point the line will be priced out of existance because of the cost of materials vs enough people who are willing to pay for the figures as that higher rate. I don't know where we're at on that time line but if that's the only way the line could survive then ok. But until then leave it as is. I can handle $25-$35/$40 for a carded, accessorized figure but beyond that I don't think I would be able to subscribe and would probably start cherry picking. So I doubled my subs to four this year which also more than doubles my financial commitment with the rate increase. When I have to go this extent financially for half of this sub, we're done and I'll be looking into baggy's and accessoryless figures. Please do all you can to keep the line going. You do a good job and you're in a tough position as a fan and manager and I think you're underappreciated for what you have pulled off. Ok the Lt Spector thing was a little much but I can't say I wouldn't have wanted to do that to if it were me. Thanks so much for the Castle Grayskull opportunity too. I pre-ordered 3 of them. Do whatever you have to do to keep this thing going and I'll do my part here.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

  15. #415
    Heroic Warrior orbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,386
    Holy crap, I have ready 95% of these 17 pages and have come to the conclusion that the best thing to look at is the shipping costs and leave everything else alone. I thing TG and Mattel need to live up to their word. Deliver to us the 2014 sub that will make our collections "feel complete" and keep the price the same, as you stated the increase was enough to get you through the next couple of years w/o another increase. Which if you think about it, they are getting a higher profit now, if they are expecting costs to continue to rise and they have set the price at a point they will not need to increase it accordingly. So there is really no need to even have this discussion. Mattel, enjoy your fat profit and we will enjoy the quality figures you give us.

  16. #416
    Heroic Warrior Ben Solstice-Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    328
    Holy hell Scott, IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT! Thank you for the grand and generous offer of giving us all an option to voice our opinions, the purchasers, but this isn't necessary on several levels in my opinion. I get it.

    This is a case of the minority being the loudest from what I've seen. The price is fine in my opinion. I mean, come on... I almost fell over when I saw that GI Joe figures went up to $9.99 at Target last week. This is what it is, and is a sign of the times.

    Would poly bags bother me? No. I have one sub and I rip all mine open like I did when I was a kid. However, if this were to change, I fear we would lose buyers and that would hurt the line.

    Oh... and this:

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post

    It's NOT THE FIGURE PRICE, Scott. IT'S THE SHIPPING.

  17. #417
    Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miami Beach, FL
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    That is poppycock.

    USPS Priority Mail is about $6. BBTS charges $7.75, Matty charges nearly $10.

    BBTS charges $7.39 for UPS Ground. Matty charges $14.10.

    So, yeah. Boldfaced lie right there. Looks like Mattel is getting railroaded by DR in shipping costs and is nice enough to pass the losses on to us.
    That's what I say. There's NO WAY I'm ever going to buy that Matty has to charge me $15 to ship ONE basic figure and I can send the same figure for less than $10. Bull chips.


    Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    For everyone that feels the issue isn't the cost of the figure, but in reality the shipping costs. Just copy and past the following:

    It's NOT THE FIGURE PRICE, Scott. IT'S THE SHIPPING.

    Maybe if enough of us post it he'll see it like he saw those four people on Facebook.
    I posted this very thing...
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

  18. #418
    Heroic Warrior darthdrew13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Little Elm, TX
    Posts
    506
    I agree the over inflated shipping is a very sore spot with most of us, but if Matty is offering reduced accessory/baggie figures why not re-issue the figures we wanted and missed? Like I said earlier, Teela is a PERFECT example of a figure that we want re-released that can come with reduced accessories. Zoar is not necessary, and many customizers have the snake headdress and staff in their Marketplace lists for sale/trade. Soooo just re-issue her with a sword and shield and put her in a baggie so many of us can add her to our collections! It also promotes customizers to go after her again as she was a great female fig that has many uses. I think offering figures this way IN ADDITION to the normal new figures in blister packs is an easy WIN-WIN.
    Take it easy,
    Drew

    Looking for: deals on MOTUC Roboto, King He-Man, Meckaneck, Zoar (from Sorceress) and more!
    Have to trade: A couple MOTU vintage, GIJOE (vintage 3.75 inch and 25th Anniversary figures and vehicles), Star Wars, Transformers (movie line), and Marvel Universe and a few Marvel Legends, plus MORE!.

    darthdrew13's B/S/T

  19. #419
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    That's what I say. There's NO WAY I'm ever going to buy that Matty has to charge me $15 to ship ONE basic figure and I can send the same figure for less than $10. Bull chips.
    Don't....you'll get the "handling" in the S&H police on you....like "handling" charges even make sense in a predominately online buying era anyway, most places pay hourly to "handle" packages....an extra charge added to shipping costs is stupid.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  20. #420
    Court Magician Tiberius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Frozen Northern Wastelands
    Posts
    52
    As the 27 dollars price point is hard to swallow, at least Scott has given us a reason, true or not. What I DON'T understand is the increase in shipping. I have buddies in the states that are getting charged 14-15 dollars to ship a figure... come on Scott, lets figure this out or just stop the line.

    Like, here is an idea. Create NEW packaging for the MOTUC line. Make it a lot like DCUC. Why? These boxes are easy to save and open without damaging, that gives MC, and us collectors a chance to perhaps choose if we want it MOC or Loose. I feel it would be a good idea to have a set # of collector boxes to people who choose to have one per order.
    Last edited by Tiberius; January 17, 2013 at 11:56pm.

  21. #421
    Keyboard Warrior The Blue Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    426
    Scott's comments sound like a thinly veiled threat to me. Pretty much "Pay what we're asking, or here's what we'll be reduced to". Meh. I haven't bought a figure from this line since Rattlor, I'm getting Ram Man, and then I'm out for good.

  22. #422
    Reaper of Crom Riddle of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by MC Modulok View Post
    Loose collectors have been subsidising MISB collectors for years, paying for unnecessary bubbles, rubber bands, tape, mailer boxes to keep cards flat, postage for bulkier boxes etc. Personally, polybags are perfect with no changes to deco or accessories - maybe even coming with just a bio card if the masses actually want them.

    And MOC collectors have been subsidizing with loose collectors for years, paying for unnecessary articulation and better plastics. I also don't give a rat's ass about loose joints, bobble heads, gummy hands and flimsy swords. Let me add that we could also do with out paint on the back of the figure or any attention to detail at all for that matter since "I" can't see any of it any ways....

    We can play this game all day if you'd like.....Sounds like fun doesn't it? Maybe we should do with out the things mentioned above as well since so many seem to have NO regard for the MOC collector...

    Respect is a two way street.

  23. #423
    Lord of the Patch baronterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    4,537
    keep as is. I know we are getting a great product and I vote by my subscription.

    I will pay because you always deliver what I want.

    keep it up, dont lose a thing. Fangman is easily worth the price based on previous releases and price of production and just all the great stuff he has got. one of the best ldesigned characters to date. I didnt even think hed translate but boy am I glad he did.

    id much rather get less figures a year but at this level of quality than cheaper figs.

    keep quality at current levels at cost of everything else if need be. keep those bios too thoug.

  24. #424
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Then stop making assumptions based on my comments. You clearly put words into my mouth that were not true.


    The packaging is just as important to MOC collectors as the figure. Now that's a fact! Comparing one to another isn't FAIR.[/b]
    Well then instead of just yelling "It's not FAIR!!" over and over, why not participate in the discussion and bring some facts and reasoning to the discussion instead of making emotional declarations so no one has to try to decipher your meaning.

    There is nothing "fair" or not here - nor even a presumption that anything should be "fair". Lots of things about collecting can be said are "not fair". If someone lives in Boston, and cannot attend Comic-con, they may believe it "not fair". Some people live outside of the US and think its "not fair" that shipping costs are so high for them.

    You said, and I quote, "Claiming that a loose figure is more important the packaging it comes in isn't fair." You have yet to explain why, because that statement is not based on established fact (presuming that there is a level of "fairness" to maintain).

    First, it's not a claim - it's a fact. As I established above, no one is going to buy an empty package, yet some people would buy figures without the packaging. So yes, as the central reason for the purchase, it is the most important part of the purchase

    Second, the Brand Manager has asked if people would do without it, so there is no basis for your statement that it "is not fair" - when asked a question about packaging or poly-bag, it most certainly is fair to bring up the fact that the figure is the most important part of the purchase.

    There is nothing "not FAIR" here - that is an emotional response. You can say it's it something you do not want, you can argue that it would be bad for the line, but saying "it's not FAIR!!" To bring up a relevant fact is simply not a correct statement.

  25. #425
    Heroic Master of Maturity SCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    7,709
    Polly bags as a point of serious discussion is laughable. What's next, Castle Grayskull shipped in a garbage bag?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •