Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious what fans think - do you want a cost reduced 20.00 figure?

Don't change a thing! If you lose the packaging, you will anger the entire MOC collector community.

Mattel needs to consider releasing the figures outside of the monthly schedule though to help people save on shipping costs. Sell/Ship 3 figures quarterly and not monthly.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    I don't mind paying $25 as a subscriber but you REALLY need to check into the much higher shipping fees we are now getting. Bigbadtoystore and other online e-tailers ship items for less. With the shipping and tax, my $25 figures are coming in at $40! WTH?
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I tried to say this about the S&H before, DR doesn't have to do it, if places like Penney's and Sears don't BBTS doesn't, Hasbro Toy Shop doesn't....the "handling" charge is asinine anymore since almost everything is available online, and it's not like DR at Matty does anything anyway but take orders pull stock and pack boxes....this is what their employees get paid hourly to do regardless. They are a typical warehouse, of which I have plenty of experience, I know what exactly goes into order fulfillment, and it's not a hard task, especially in today's computer driven world, the damn computers do most of the work for you....
    How do you think companies get money to pay the hourly wages? That's what handling is covering, not the actual cost to package your individual shipment, but spread across all packaging going on for all shipments to pay all of the warehouse components. And I find it really hard to believe that every other company out there that you mention or that anyone on this board deals with is only chafing their straight up shipping costs to customers... Anyone order from Lego, for example?

Keep in mind, by the way, that Sears, Penneys, and most major chains out there are selling enough products at a nice profit margin that they can afford to cut corners on shipping & handling charges. I would challenge the same is true of BBTS who has some pretty nicely marked up prices on a lot of items over retails prices where they're making enough profit they can more than make up for a little loss on shipping & handling.

I don't mind paying $25-$27 for the figures but once you add the high cost for shipping it becomes a bit too much for me to purchase every figure and that leaves me to just buying the one's I REALLY want.

Also Screw-Ups like reversed body parts and other QC issues don't help the situation...

It feels like I'm flipping a coin every time I recieve a figure to see if there will be a problem or not.

The product isn't the problem (don't change anything)...the logistics are the problem and the company in charge of them (D.R.). As it has already been stated multiple times, the shipping service is terrible between the absurd costs and the amount of time it takes to receive your items (e.g. 12 days to get from Cal. to FL.) to the unacceptable customer service. I have no problem whatsoever paying my $25 per figure but let's be honest, that is not what we are paying. I was just billed $36.74 for Netossa (which is a figure I have zero interest in) even though I can ship a MOTUC figure from FL to Cali myself for $4.

For the record, I still haven't received my Granamyr which was ordered within minutes of when he became available. While talking with a very nice customer service rep. at Newgistics who was trying to help me locate where the package is, she mentioned that after seeing the name of the company who was the sender (Digital River), she was aware that they have a reputation for being very tough to work with. I mention this only because it makes no sense to keep using this company that continuously makes Matty Collector look inept to their customers as well as other partners within your own distribution process.

Please Scott, if there is a way to make the switch over to Amazon, please do so as quick as possible! I'm sure we will all be much happier in doing so (you as well)!

BTW...Fang Man looks pretty awesome and now that Netossa is out of the way, I'm really looking forward to what the rest of this years sub will bring me!
    Last edited by X-Factorz; January 17, 2013 at 01:24am.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    I'd go for the polybag but not reduced deco or accessories.
    Same here, I'm collecting loose only now even though I have 3 subs, would love a price break for lack of packaging, paint apps and accessories are a must though!

Keep it as is or dump it all together. You gotta remember as some already stated you'll ALSO loose certain markets and over-all appeal if cuts are made, so how would you ultimately be solving any thing?

You'd be doing nothing but, robbing Peter to pay Paul, so you'd still be in the hole when all is said and done.

I'd say at least 40% of the buyers are MOC collectors and with the swap to a poly bag you're gonna loose people right off the bat, and LOTS.

People voting for the poly bag are nothing more then loose collectors voting with "their" best interests in mind, and NOT the entire health of the line. You know how "a certain" vocal community can be with this sorta stuff, trust me don't do it.....

Accessories is another tough pill to swallow, BUT could possibly be implemented *if* fans were able to get them later on in a weapons pack. Still hurts for MOC collectors as it kinda stinks having an empty bubble with just a figure inside, BUT perhaps at a last ditch effort to save things.

Paint deco would be a tough loss as well, but the least important of the three if I "HAD" to choose one as we've already been there to some extent, survived and would be the least noticeable of the three.

I personally would look at alternatives however, rather then these losses as you'll ultimately just loose people more then any thing if this goes in to effect.

I'm telling you, if things were easier to swallow in regard to all of the CS issues, DR blunders, QC, easier control over your own account, less botched this or that it would of made a world of difference a long time ago.

A lot of people just simply have nothing left in the gas tank at this point and then price hikes which sets the icing on top.

If you want to take different step forward the easiest might be to just cut down on the SKUUS, yet again. Changes to actual methods as stated before will do no thing, but loose customers. For every one you get back with the decreased price you'll loose another that simply isn't happy with the way the product turned out.

Cutting down on the SKUUS would give people the same thing that they're getting now, but with simply not as many of them which = more money in the pocket. Kinda makes every one happy since who doesn't like to save money.

Heck...I guess it stretches out the line a bit too which isn't that bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factorz View Post
    Please Scott, if there is a way to make the switch over to Amazon, please do so as quick as possible! I'm sure we will all be much happier in doing so (you as well)
    The whole Amazon thing isn't happening as the point of this thread has to do with cost. For Mattel to deal with Amazon with shipping these things the price of the figure will CERTAINLY go up. Trust me......

I'm fine going with cheaper packaging, but keep the decos. In regards to accessories, i'd say just sharpen your pencils a bit and don't include accessories, no one was asking for (i.e. Decker's 2nd head, Serpent ring that came with SMA, etc.). Then include essential weapons in a weapons pak.

Please keep things as the are. $25-$27 is totally acceptable for these quality figures. I would personally be fine with poly-bagging, but there are a bunch of MOC collectors that would just quit without the packaging, so I wouldn't change a thing. (losing accessories or paint apps would suck!)

Fang Man specifically, I have no nostalgic connection to the guy, but I think turned out pretty sweet! And 3 accessories to boot. Definitely worth the price.

There's no point asking for opinions here... people will vary immensely depending on circumstance.

Personally
    - I could care less about the packaging/bios. It gets thrown out and I never remember them.
    - I love unique weapons/accessories. Things like the Randor goblet are brilliant items we need MORE of.
    - Shipping is fine as I order in a group. In fact, it's costing about the same to get the INSANELY FAST shipping via DHL to Australia this year as it did to put up with the INSANELY SLOW shipping via international post last year. Figures cost about $26 shipped in a group of 5 last year, now they cost $34 (so considering the sub figure increase of $5, I pay an extra $3 to get my figures in a few days as opposed to over a month = WIN).

But that's me. I know MOCers don't want to lose out, people who love weapons don't want to lose out and people have different circumstances when it comes to shipping.

I don't get how you can cut down accessories when you have already done it for Netossa, though, despite the increased price. Seems lame.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Mirroring a lot of what has been said already:

1: I don't think that reducing quality, be it paint apps, detail or accessories is a good idea. The best thing about this line is how fantastic these figure look when you get them in hand. There have been figures that I have not been into at all, and then I see a figure review showcasing the detail.

2: I would be all for poly bags because I'm not a MOC collector, but I know that it would do more harm than good. I think most of the MOC collectors would quit, and that's not good for the line.

3: Again, as others have said, shipping costs. The cost for shipping, handling and tax is insane. $25 a figure is not terrible...but by the time we get done they are almost $40 ($37 and change in my case). Then add in there that we cannot combine shipping, which we were promised would work during the sub drive. And maybe it will for February, but my expectation was that it would work this month and that I would be able to get both subs to ship together.

How much will shipping be on Castle Grayskull? $120.00?

$25/$27 may be getting up there price wise, but the biggest problem is that it is not the final cost. We are paying almost $40 in total, and that is a killer.

So if you are interested in making a lot of people happy, don't cut accessories or paint or even packaging, but find a way to cut shipping costs. I wish i could say that I thought it would happen, but I'm not hopeful. Digital River either somehow ended up with a contract where they own Matty's soul, or has some naughty pictures of someone, because it seems like no matter what stupid thing they do, excuses are made and hard actions aren't taken. Again, I said seems like, I don't know what happens on conference calls. I just don't see DR lowering what the charge, and I don't see Matty dumping them for someone far more reasonable
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Absolutely no cuts to accessories, packaging, or deco!!!!! Maintaining the status quo is essential to the quality of the line, and those who are whining about prices need to wake up and check their calendars to see that it's not 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post

1: I don't think that reducing quality, be it paint apps, detail or accessories is a good idea. The best thing about this line is how fantastic these figure look when you get them in hand. There have been figures that I have not been into at all, and then I see a figure review showcasing the detail.

2: I would be all for poly bags because I'm not a MOC collector, but I know that it would do more harm than good. I think most of the MOC collectors would quit, and that's not good for the line.

3: Again, as others have said, shipping costs. The cost for shipping, handling and tax is insane. $25 a figure is not terrible...but by the time we get done they are almost $40 ($37 and change in my case). Then add in there that we cannot combine shipping, which we were promised would work during the sub drive. And maybe it will for February, but my expectation was that it would work this month and that I would be able to get both subs to ship together.

$25/$27 may be getting up there price wise, but the biggest problem is that it is not the final cost. We are paying almost $40 in total, and that is a killer.

So if you are interested in making a lot of people happy, don't cut accessories or paint or even packaging, but find a way to cut shipping costs. I wish i could say that I thought it would happen, but I'm not hopeful. Digital River either somehow ended up with a contract where they own Matty's soul, or has some naughty pictures of someone, because it seems like no matter what stupid thing they do, excuses are made and hard actions aren't taken. Again, I said seems like, I don't know what happens on conference calls. I just don't see DR lowering what the charge, and I don't see Matty dumping them for someone far more reasonable
    You said it perfectly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post

Polybag for price reduction would be fine.
    Keep the accessoiries. I prefer accessoiries over the missing blue on the Stinkor weapons for instance.

I agree that shipping costs should be you first concern.

L O L

No. No way do I want a lame no accessory 1970's paint job figure in a ziploc. If I wanted that I'd go to Goodwill. Also why peeve off the MOC guys? Seems like more problems than it's worth.

Instead of trying to save money, why not try and make some? Hmm? I seem to recall a mountian of Mer-Men that you just gave away. I'm not criticizing this, but I am criticizing the ump-teen months that they were not on sale. Look at the BF stuff. I mean come on! Why stuff you have sitting there, costing money to store, isn't available for purchase is baffling. Mattel lost, and continues to lose money from me every week. I know they have figures I need...but so does Amazon, and they are available 24/7. I may pay more, but get free shipping so it's just as good as buying from Matty, only I don't have to skip a month. Odds are Snout & Flipshot will be up with Jitsu. I don't need them, so $60 goes to Amazon, not Mattel because they wanted to pay money to sit on figures instead of selling them. There's your problem.

So no I don't want a cheapo figure, I want what we have been getting, for the price we pay & less BS! No more capes as accessories, no more "popping" & ya know figures with their shoulders and forearms on correctly would be great too, and I bet it wouldn't hurt sales either. Just a thought.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

I am really disappointed that you suggested these options for reducing the cost of these high price point collectibles. Cutting packaging and quality? Really, really, disappointed, but not at all surprised. I recall you making a similar suggestion before.

This line has had 4 strong years of fans buying into a subscription model, and hanging on through a laundry list of issues that would have crippled or killed other lines. You want to talk about the 'angry vocal minority' here? See what happens when you start producing sub quality figures and remove their protective display packages, all for the sake of saving a few bucks. With all of Mattel's money, resources and brand power, surely there is some way to continue the line as is, and perhaps reduce the cost to $23 per figure, without further cutting all the things your loyal fan base loves.

I find it extremely hard to believe that a few complaints on Facebook or Matty.com about 1 figure is the reason for you posting this thread. I have sent you numerous messages on various subjects, and never received a a single response, and none of them were complaints about how a figured looked.

There have been some pretty ridiculous comments thrown out on these boards, especially in regard to 'subbers' vs 'cherry pickers' and who is 'responsible' for supporting/killing the line. The suggestion to make these cuts will upset BOTH of these types of collectors, and this thread only proves that the real problem comes from within Mattel, and not from its vocal, finicky, divided consumer base.

I sincerely doubt the comments of a few guys not digging Fang-Man moved you to post here, so obviously, the logistics behind this poorly conceived thread is something we will never truly know. As of now, my MOTUC days are numbered, and I do not suspect any new revelations will change my mind.

On a final note, $27 for a 7'' plastic action figure, is ridiculous. I don't suspect you will read this comment or respond to it either.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; January 17, 2013 at 03:03am.

Scott, I would just leave things as they are. If I get a quality figure with cool weapons, I don't mind paying $27. A figure with less decos and no weapons would make me quit collecting the line.

Keep things the way that they are!

A poly-bagged, accessory-less, barely painted figure (Just to save $5) would be a disaster. The figures would no longer look like they're part of the MOTUC line and collectors would have little reason to buy multiples. A MOC collection would no longer appear unified with bagged figures that look like over-sized Happy Meal toys. As a loose collector, packaging doesn't mean much to me but decos and accessories do. Imagine Rio Blast without weapons...Mantenna with less paint apps than his vintage counterpart...Queen Angella without wings...Two Bad in a single color!

DON'T DO IT!

Personally, I feel that collectors know what they're getting into when it comes to prices. Most exclusive, limited-edition lines (Like Ame-Comi, Big Toys, Figma, TF Masterpiece, etc) are always more expensive than retail toy lines. I can't think of a toy line like MOTUC at retail that is less than $15 per figure. I collected WWE figures and their premium Elite line (Comparable in size, articulation, and accessories to MOTUC) went up from $15 to $23 each since 2010. These figures are made in much higher numbers than MOTUC and even still, extra accessories, like the figure stands, and some decos were cut after the first year in order to keep costs down. However, the prices still went up and we ended up getting less for it. Keep in mind that Elite figures come out in waves of six figures every other month, with at least one figure that's packed only one-per-case (or even one-per-every-other-case in some instances!), and it can be a chore to hunt them down in stores. It's not cheap and this is just one retail line...Also look at how tough it is for Star Wars, Monster High, DCU, and GI Joe collectors!

MOTUC, however, is actually easier on the wallet with only one or two monthly figures to worry about. The line is naturally winding down as more core characters get made, so it doesn't need to be so robust anymore. This years' sub "barely" made it at 135% but the way I see it, that's still well over 100% and should be counted as a success this far in the line. Mattel should have more confidence in this line that's outlasted everything else on Mattycollector. Instead of cheapening out in the end, the line should finish with a bang. Making good versions of fan favorites like Modulok, Glimmer, Scorpia, Rio Blast, Mantenna, and Horde Troopers will ensure continued interest. Skimping out now will only cause more people to cut their losses, drop the line, and stick with only the good figures that were made.

Instead of cutting corners, Mattel should focus on the issues that collectors have been talking about for years. I feel that improving customer service and finding better shipping solutions will go a long way in extending the longevity of the line. All we need is a few more years of a steady monthly output and MOTUC will be the most complete line in Mattel history!

Besides, we're seeing the most resurgence of MOTU media than we have in years. The monthly comics and handheld video game performed greatly and there's also the Hollywood movie that seems more imminent than ever before plus the acquisition of cartoon rights from Dreamworks...We could be on threshold of some great MOTU years and Mattel wants to cut out?!

(BTW, why does a handful of negative comments on Facebook warrant such a drastic proposal when we have to provide hundreds of photos to get design flaws to be taken seriously?)

Heroic Warrior
    Here's a suggestion, how about the brand manager and other suit types at Mattel taking a salary cut?

Seriously, if you want fan suggestions, tell us something about the profit margins. I know you can't give exact figures, but still...

Or how about poly bags for those who want them this way at reduced prices and shipping?

Keep things the way they are at $25.....but something needs to be done about shipping like EVERYone else is mentioning. Not just cost but the ability to combine early access with subs. I just sent out Netossa to for a trade...cost me $4 less to ship than what I was charged and will get there in half the time. And this was in the exact same packaging she was shipped to me in. All I did was put a new label on the box. None of the figures are costing us $25.....they are costing us $35 at the bare minimum and honestly they should never cost more direct from Matty than they do on the secondary market.....especially reissues.

BTW....Fangman is worth every it. He's loaded with great accessories and what I expect from the line.

First of all let me say I appreciate Scott's desire to try to keep this line alive and look for solutions to some of these issues.

As people have stated going strictly polybag would cost you the MOC collectors.

But here is a thought... How about next year offering subscribers the option of either signing up for a carded subscription at the current price or a pollybagged subscription at a reduced price. This seems like it would please everyone. MOC collectors can keep getting the figures the way they want them, openers would get what they want a little cheaper, and a lot less plastic would end up in the landfill from the loose collectors opening their figures. GI Joe club kind of does something like this already where they produce their convention boxed set both with packaging and without and they release their yearly membership figure both carded and loose.

I personally collect Masters figures both MOC and loose so if you offered the option I would gladly sign up for both a MOC sub and a pollybagged sub.

As far as assessories go (speaking only for myself) I'd be okay with seeing them released in separate weapon packs if it meant bringing the figure price down (and thus extending the life of the line due to pricing out less collectors).

But Scott, in all honesty the most obvious way to make these figures cheaper is to improve the way DR is handling shipping and tax.
    1) We need combined shipping. If it's a quality figure I don't mind paying $27 for a day of figure but I do mind watching that price jump to $40+ just because I can't combine it with my subscriptions.
    2) We need cheaper shipping options. There is no reason why a large shipping facility (that gets reduced shipping rates not available to smaller businesses and individuals) should be charging more for shipping than what costs an individual to ship the same figure.
    3) DR needs to stop over charging for tax. There are limited circumstances where it is legal to charge tax on shipping--for instance if it is a flat price that includes shipping or if they are a business that personally delivers an item (like a furniture store that physically puts your furniture on their truck and personally delivers it to your door), but these figures aren't flat priced (S&H is charged and invoiced as a separate amount) and DR does not personally deliver these figures (they use USPS, UPS, etc). Thus in states such as California it violates the tax code to charge tax on shipping (and legally they are technically required to attempt to return that excess tax to their customers, and if unable to return the funds to the customer they are required to surrender the excess tax charge to the state). So while it's true that maybe cost reducing your figures would save your customers a buck or two a much more obvious way to save your customers a buck or two would be to hold DR accountable for following tax laws and start only charging tax for the product and stop also charging tax for shipping.

That's my two cents. Again I appreciate the fact that TG is willing to come to the boards to discuss these types of ideas. Personally I'm okay with the current price. Do I wish it was cheaper?... Sure, but the current price isn't make or break for me. But it is for others and loosing customers due to price isn't good for the line which is something we all care about. But I think the focus shouldn't just be cost reduction. You have to look at waste too and right now there is a lot of waste going towards overcharged tax and overpriced/inefficient shipping.

In this day and age it is somewhat embarrassing for a business like DR not to have a system set up where they can combine shipping, charge appropriatly for shipping, or correctly calculate tax.
    TOP 44 WANTS
    VINTAGE:Peekablue/Dragstor/Perfuma/Saurod
    NA:Crita/Darius/Nocturna/Sagitar/Sebrian/Tuskador/Kayo/Lizzor/
    Andros/Hoove/Quakke/Vizar/Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Sunder/Twiggets/Masque/Dylamug/Vultak/Granita/Malektha
    200X:Veena/Miro/Hawke/Prahvus/EvilSeed/Illumina/Ceratus
    MISC:Lodar/Delora/Dare/MaskOfPowerDemons/LtAndra

Heroic Warrior
    I still believe the cost is overly inflated as it is. People can say what they want, but we've now seen TWO retailers selling the same overstock as Matty for less then we can buy them from the website.

It's a bit ridiculous.

Lower price. Lower Shipping.

If matty will give them away to Retailers at some kind of loss... why are they boosting the price for the overstock for THEIR customers?!?

Everything is fine the way it is (with the exception of the QA issues which need to stop).

Leave it all alone and let them keep making great figures... I am a MOC collector and want my packaging. Plus I doubt lack of packaging would create much of a dent in the price anyway. I am sure most of it is in the physical materials/molding/painting/assembly of the figures and pre production as well.

2012 was hard some months just from the sheer volume of releases... If the offerings are kept reasonable each month (1 or 2 figures) it isn't very hard on the wallet. I have no problem paying the prices as long as there isn't 3 figures and a beast being released in the same sale/month.

I'm for keeping it the way it is now. I'm a MOC collector so if you go the the polybags I'll most likely be out of the game.

Like others have stated you guys need to look harder at DR and the shipping prices. I have no prolem paying the $25.00 for the figure but the $14.00 for shipping is crazy.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes