Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Star Collecting This Line

How to Star Collecting This Line

I just discovered Masters of the Universe Classics. I realize that might be hard to believe, but I have never seen them on shelves or in local comic/gaming stores. I only stumbled on to it because I happened to search for Shadow Weaver on eBay to settle a debate with a friend that someone was selling bootleg figures and then saw an actual Shadow Weaver. I was shocked.

I was a huge MOTU fan growing up. I had a lot of the vintage line (all of which I've lost sadly) and loved the cartoon. I only watched a few episodes of the 2002 series and I bought Evil-Lyn and Skeletor in the 200x line before giving up in frustration over how hard it was to find the figures (plus I was somewhat mad at how long it look Evil-Lyn to come out considering her prominence).

But enough with the background. Now I've found that there is a huge line of MOTU figures that I never knew about. And, almost as soon as I made this discovery, I found out they seem virtually impossible to collect.

I don't want to beat dead horses. I've browsed enough blogs and sites over the last week to find out all the problems people have with MattyCollector and Mattel over how this line has been treated. But I do want to vent just a little.

How can you construct a business model that basically guarantees a shrinking customer base each year? Shouldn't it be easier for new customers, like me, to get involved in collecting MOTUC figures? All of the figures I might want have already come and gone. How can you build a MOTUC collection without Beast Man, Tri-Klops, Teela, Sorceress, and a few others that are no longer being made and are all pushing $100 or more on eBay? Surely it's easy to see that no one new is going to subscribe in order to get Glimmer, the Unnamed One (whoever that is), and Filmmation one-shots. I mean, who is going to have a shelf that features Shokoti, Batros, and Mantenna, but has no Beast Man, Man-at-Arms, or Stratos (and, yes, I'm going to mention Beast Man every time).

MattyCollector has seemed to acknowledge this at least a little because He-Man and Skeletor seem perpetually available on their web site. But I'm just having trouble grasping the why core figures are gone forever. Aren't there are a few other figures they could sell as fast they could produce?

So, enough with a rant. I've bought Shadow Weaver (my favorite character who I have been waiting 30 years to have) despite the cost. I won't pay anywhere near that much for anyone else. So what's the best bet to start with this line? Cherry pick eBay auctions and hope for the best? Beg existing collectors for reasonable rates? Hope that Matty reissues a bunch of characters before the line wraps up in 2014 or 2015?

I'm just not sure where things stand. I find it hard to believe that Teela and Beast Man are gone forever and will cost $200 to own, but it's also hard to imagine buying too many figures if you can't have a display that features them.

Thanks for your time and sorry if I picked at any old wounds. I'm just genuinely perplexed by this whole situation. You'd think Mattel would want my money, but I guess not.

I'd start with going to mattycollector.com and going to the collection essentials page where you can get Skeletor, He-Man, Battle Cat, Panthor, Hordak, She-Ray, The Palace Guards.

For the likes of Teela, unfortunately, if you want her, your going to have to pay a high price for her on ebay. She is rare as she has never been re-released and 2.0 version of her isn't likely in the next few years. Fisto and Sorceress will be rare to find as well.

Good Luck!

Heroic Warrior
    Yea, this is one party you unfortunately can't afford to have been late too.
    They're not reissuing any figures at this point, so your only option is to buy them second hand at crazy prices, trade for them, or just forget about it.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    How can you construct a business model that basically guarantees a shrinking customer base each year? Shouldn't it be easier for new customers, like me, to get involved in collecting MOTUC figures? All of the figures I might want have already come and gone. How can you build a MOTUC collection without Beast Man, Tri-Klops, Teela, Sorceress, and a few others that are no longer being made and are all pushing $100 or more on eBay? Surely it's easy to see that no one new is going to subscribe in order to get Glimmer, the Unnamed One (whoever that is), and Filmmation one-shots. I mean, who is going to have a shelf that features Shokoti, Batros, and Mantenna, but has no Beast Man, Man-at-Arms, or Stratos (and, yes, I'm going to mention Beast Man every time).
    People need to buy in because while Mattel might re-release the main guys, they won't likely re-release the characters they're making now, so unless you subscribe now, if you ever want a complete collection, you'll be paying $100 or whatever for every figure, rather than just the few main ones you need, and that's only IF Mattel doesn't eventually re-release them if and when a movie comes around or for some anniversary. Anyone would be foolish not to subscribe at this point if they're interested in having as many MOTUC figures as possible. The sub is now the least expensive way to get them, now that they allegedly won't be showing up at Big Lots anymore.

Further, paying $100 for a few figures isn't such a big deal anymore. I know it's still a lot, but even a brand new Tamashii web exclusive can easily go for around $100 or more on the secondary market. I still need a S.H. Figuarts Gavan Type G, which will easily cost around or over $100. That's life these days. That's the cost of collecting.

Unfortunately this line is so tiny that the only way to know of its existence is going through the web looking for figures. I discovered the line in 2010 while looking for 200x figures. So until there is a Motu movie the fan base would not increase. I thought that Castle Grayskull would make more people get into the line but according to sub sales it seems we are the same.

Patience and Good luck!

Thank you everyone for the quick replies.

I'm not going to subscribe because I don't care if the figures they are making now are ever released. I don't want them. I don't even want the Horde Trooper, which is an incredibly bad take on the characters (how can anyone watch the show and miss that they have TWO eyes, and do not resemble Cylons), and that's the only character that I can see that even has a tiny bit of relevance to the old line or the Filmation show.

I WOULD subscribe, in a second, if that would let me get some of the figures I missed. But I guess that's not going to happen. Maybe I'll roll the dice that Beast Man and Teela will reappear some day (how could those two not get second printings). In the mean time, let me see what I can pick up on eBay and Amazon for something resembling reasonable rates.

Thanks again.

I'd start with Big Lots !!! or the Marketplace here. Big Lots has a handful of 2011 figures for just $10 bucks if you can find them. Also Better to do business with an orger here in Marketplace then a ebay seller.

Heroic Warrior
    You can also check the forums here on the .Org to see if anyone has any of the figures you want. Usually, people have figures to buy/trade in the MOTUC Marketplace, but this far in, it might be harder to get some of them than others. But it's another avenue to go down that might likely be cheaper than the Internets.
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Heroic Warrior

I'm not going to subscribe because I don't care if the figures they are making now are ever released. I don't want them. I don't even want the Horde Trooper, which is an incredibly bad take on the characters (how can anyone watch the show and miss that they have TWO eyes, and do not resemble Cylons), and that's the only character that I can see that even has a tiny bit of relevance to the old line or the Filmation show.

I WOULD subscribe, in a second, if that would let me get some of the figures I missed. But I guess that's not going to happen. Maybe I'll roll the dice that Beast Man and Teela will reappear some day (how could those two not get second printings). In the mean time, let me see what I can pick up on eBay and Amazon for something resembling reasonable rates.

Thanks again.
    Don't hold your breath on Beastman. He has been released several times over the course of this line. Mattel is not gonna put these figures back into production to hopefully move a few units for collectors who jumped in late. Is Hasbro gonna re-release the 25th anniversary line because I discovered it late, NO! As other people have mentioned, look to the marketplace, Ebay, amazon, BBTS, and biglots for those figures.
    My tribute to MOTUC video using still photos of MOTUC figures with filmation music : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ibute-to-MOTUC

I WOULD subscribe, in a second, if that would let me get some of the figures I missed.
    It seems as if your main interest is the vintage MOTU and FILMation characters. If that's the case, I'd get a 2014 sub.

It will include Two Bad, Modulok, Blade, Tung Lashor OR Sssqueeze and definitely a few more vintage MOTU characters. Any of the figures you don't want in your collection can more than likely be traded here in the marketplace for figures you do want. Buying a sub will also give you access to "Early Access", which could help you get some past figures.

Anyway, welcome to the Org and good luck in your quest to start a MOTUC collection!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

If you want to start collecting the line at this point you should start by taking out a small loan. The older figures are crazy expensive.
    Jii Dee regarding Matty's view on MOTUC Collectors: "Here be whiny surrender monkey dragons".

MOTUC NEEDS: Sssqueeze, Dragstor, Saurod, Blast Attack, & Lord Masque.

The Marketplace forum here can be a handy place to pick up a good chunk of great figures.
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

Court Magician

Thanks again.
    How can anyone look at the vintage toy and miss that they don't have two eyes. Sorry but is it really an incredibly bad take on those characters just because you like the Filmation version of them more than the original toy design? ... Nope... I guess...

Court Magician
    The Marketplace forum here really is the way to go. I came in late to the game as well and was only able to catch up by purchasing a large lot ( essentially someone's entire complete loose collection). I paid about $1,000 for this lot , but it averaged out to about $12 a figure - including the rare hard to find ones. My suggestion is look to do something like that, maybe around tax time return time or just save up. It's a bitter pill to swallow spending that much at once, but it's been worth it to me in the long run. There was NO WAY I would have been able to catch up buying the figures individually, especially for the early and limited releases like Teela, Beastman, Sorceress, Fisto, etc. Good luck!

along with the martketplace, I got a HUGE start at last years Cyber Monday sale. that's when I started collecting. As well as start with the big hitters like Teela, Fisto, Beast Man, Whiplash, etc...THey keep going up in price and continue to be harder to find.

Snappy Threader
    Friend of mine is putting together a set. Matty Essentials, Big Lots, Cherry Picking and a local flea market (of all places) have scored him quite a few. Looks more like a POP collection than anything though right now. Well, more like a "Secret of the Sword" collection. Mainly POP with a few of the MOTU characters from the film.

Horde Trooper: The original toy had one eye if you blasted its armor apart, but it wasn't difficult to pose it to have two eyes like the Filmation version. The re-make has a giant eye that puts Cylons to shame. It isn't true to either the show or the old toy. I'm not sure what the point of the design is.

I will try the Marketplace. I can't justify $200 for Beast Man or Teela (I already paid over $100 for Shadow Weaver). I'm going to see what kind of collection I can build if I keep under $50 a figure.

Buying lots/collections of figures on eBay will save you money. I also know someone who is currently selling his collection.

Are you a fan them of the Filmation cartoons?

The figures next year will include Two Bad, Glimmer, Modulok, Blade, Huntara, Scorpia
    Last edited by bcrduke; August 23, 2013 at 03:41pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Big Lots....

I am a fan of the cartoon and the vintage toys. I'd love to have Two-Bad and Scorpia, but the rest of the figures next year are too obscure to be of interest.

So, is Big Lots an actual option? It would be a bit of a trek for me, but I'm willing if random Big Lots might have some.

Quote Originally Posted by Jestermon View Post
    Big Lots....
    Big lots will only get you:

Adora, Carnivus, Marzo, Clawful, Icarius, Man-E-Faces, and a few others though.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

How can you construct a business model that basically guarantees a shrinking customer base each year?
    Quoted for truth.

Never really thought about it in that prespective.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    Quoted for truth.

Never really thought about it in that prespective.
    Offset with price increase. lol

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    I was fortunate to be watching when King Grayskull was revealed at SDCC in 2008 and when I discovered what they had in mind it was a dream. First came He-man and Beastman at the same time and then Skeletor, Stratos and Faker. I remember thinking how awesome the collection looked at five figures. Now I have everything and I mean everything...in fact I have at least two of everything. I personally couldn't imagine the mountain I'd have to climb in order to replace this collection. I have a few thoughts for you to take or leave. From what I see, we have different collecting habits so what I suggest may not be for you and that's cool. If I were just now getting into the line at this point, my very first thing would be to jump on Mattycollector.com and pickup He-man, Battle Cat, Skeletor, Panthor, King Hssss, She-Ra, Hordak etc. I would essentially start by picking that apart. The next thing I would do is try to buy a bulk collection. Generally that's going to be cheaper in the long run. You can go to the market here on the .Org or you can scout out Ebay. The next thing I would do is get at least two subscriptions if they're opened back up. I haven't looked to see, but I do believe Club Eternia will open up again for 2014. I read your argument against subscribing based upon the figures being offered. That's totally understandable. But you need some thing to barter with. And sub holders get early access. Next month, Stratos is being released again to early access. I wouldn't overextend this, but It wouldn't hurt to have an extra Two-Bad on hand in January. Two-Bad will NOT have a day of sale appearance. The only way to get him is subscribe or go secondary market for him. Earlier this year, Fang Man had no day of sale release. I had enough of them that I sold for several times what I paid for them that I purchased a Laser Power He-man from the 1988 line. Two Bad and Modulok could make you enough money after your costs that you could afford to buy some other figures you've missed. Buying Two Bad for $25 and selling him for $75, five different times might come out nicely. Doubt I can do that? Think again. I didn't buy 10 subs this year because I want Two-Bad wall paper. I am going to have 10 Two Bad's. It would be cool to use Two Bad to pick up something you're missing from someone who has extras. Another thing you could consider later on is that when this line does end, there will likely be quite a few collections up for sale. These are just a few thought of things I might try. Hope they help a little.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    1.) The He-Man.org Marketplace
    2.) MattyCollector.com Essentials
    3.) eBay - look for loose figures or figure lots

To be realistic though, some figures (i.e. Teela, Fisto, Whiplash, etc..) will cost a pretty penny. Keep a lookout for eBay auctions that end at weird times and snipe!!

Welcome and good luck!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!