Thread: "Cast On, Bets Off" by Jack Olesker

Hybrid View

Heroic Warrior

"Cast On, Bets Off" by Jack Olesker

I had the great privilege of meeting Jack Olesker at PowerCon. He was every bit the gentleman in person that he is here on the forums. I bought a copy of his latest novel, "Cast On, Bet's Off," at the show. After two car accidents, a major illness in the family, and dealing with the regular hustle and bustle of every day life, I finally finished reading it.

I enjoyed the book. It's a fun murder mystery that keeps you guessing to the end. It's not the kind of book I usually read so it took me a few chapters to get into it. By the end, however, I cared about the characters a lot and blazed through the last five or six chapters waiting to see what would happen and to find out "who done it." Max and Lisa Deveraux, the protagonists, seemed a little bit too perfect at times (and rightfully so when you find out who they're based on in real life), but were great representations of a couple who are deeply in love and who make a great team. They own a "Sit 'n' Knit" yarn shop that becomes a meeting place for the various characters who are trying to get to the bottom of the murder. If Jack does another "Sit 'n' Knit" mystery novel, I will happily read it.

Anyone else have a chance to read this book?
    Last edited by Ntumbuluku; January 18, 2013 at 02:38am.

Master of New Adventures!
    Thanks for that Ntumbuluku. It was a pleasure to meet you and chat at Power-Con. I'm delighted you enjoyed Cast On, Bet's Off, which was my sixth novel. You may be interested to know we're in pre-production on a television murder mystery series based on the novel, entitled THE LISA & MAX DEVEREAUX SIT & KNIT MYSTERIES and that Cast On, Bet's Off will serve as the two-part MOW Pilot. We're delighted to have attached Casper Van Dien (Starship Troopers) and Catherine Oxenberg to play Max and Lisa Devereaux. Long time director Robby Benson will be directing the pilot.

For those interested here's a review of the novel: http://www.stlouisknittersguild.com/CastOnBetsOff.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ntumbuluku View Post
    I had the great privilege of meeting Jack Olesker at PowerCon. He was every bit the gentleman in person that he is here on the forums. I bought a copy of his latest novel, "Cast On, Bets Off," at the show. After two car accidents, a major illness in the family, and dealing with the regular hustle and bustle of every day life, I finally finished reading it.

I enjoyed the book. It's a fun murder mystery that keeps you guessing to the end. It's not the kind of book I usually read so it took me a few chapters to get into it. By the end, however, I cared about the characters a lot and blazed through the last five or six chapters waiting to see what would happen and to find out "who done it." Max and Lisa Deveraux, the protagonists, seemed a little bit too perfect at times (and rightfully so when you find out who they're based on in real life), but were great representations of a couple who are deeply in love and who make a great team. They own a "Sit 'n' Knit" yarn shop that becomes a meeting place for the carious characters who are trying to get to the bottom of the murder. If Jack does another "Sit 'n' Knit" mystery novel, I will happily read it.

Anyone else have a chance to read this book?
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; January 18, 2013 at 12:53am.