Thread: was castle grayskull ever a living being?

was castle grayskull ever a living being?

So I've noticed on a lot of sculpts that grayskull has a spine behind the head and seems very organic, like it used to be an actual serpos sized being at one time. Has this ever been alluded to in any media? If not it should have IMHO. It would be cool if king grayskull came to power because he defeated the creature and took its remainsbto build the castle!
    God I hate Stratos.

Heroic Warrior
    I believe it was mentioned in the MOTU Bible that it was, in fact, a living creature at one time. I know I read it somewhere.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    This is an extremely interersting question!

I never thought Castle Grayskull was a former living being, I just believed it was a design choice to resemble a skull. I looked in the series bible, and on page 11 where it talks about Castle Grayskull, I see no mention of it as a former living being. And there's no other mention of it that I can find elsewhere to say it was some creature. So I'm going to say it was never a living being, however, the Castle does have an organic look to it. And clearly, those teeth on the castle look like real teeth of some kind, as well as the spine (on some renditions).

There's probably only one guy that can answer this question, and that would be artist Mark Taylor, who drew the original designs. What was his intent?

Heroic Warrior
    I know I read somewhere that it was at one time from somewhere but I don't remember if it was "official" or not.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I don't recall exactly where I read this; was it in some of the first mini comics where it's mention that Castle Grayskull was built incorporating the head of a long dead giant as the core structure?

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    ..in my work GreySkull is the face of self tittled King Chomp, a comon name of the leader of the pigmen.

If memory serves me correctly, Mark Taylor had the idea that Grayskull had originally been a living Giant.

This possibly was in Catalog #01 from Power And Honor-Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    If memory serves me correctly, Mark Taylor had the idea that Grayskull had originally been a living Giant.

This possibly was in Catalog #01 from Power And Honor-Foundation.
    I love that idea
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Yes Mark said it was a Giant who maybe could come alive again someday
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app