Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC custom Cact-Eye a COTU character

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar

MOTUC custom Cact-Eye a COTU character

Another one of my COTU favorites in MOTUC style! As far as I know, COTU came up with character design, name, and background and Chrisbryan has also done a great vintage custom of him. I got a lot of reference from his figure. COTU has many custom characters, and among my many favorites is Cact-Eye, evil enemy of Rio Blast. So in my mind he is able to shoot his quills out of his body, making a great arch-enemy for our favorite Eternian gunslinger.
    Kobra Khan base with Spikor armor and head, random loincloth and Whiplash feet. Finish him off with a dab of Demo Man's mace. The only sculpting I had to do was on his eye. I just Dremeled a small about away from Spikors eyes to make room for the cycloptic eyeball. A fairly simple custom, this one only took me about a week to complete. Granted I was really driven to finish him in time for Power Con. So anyway, here he is. I've got a few more new customs to show, but trying not to clog up the boards too much with all my stuff.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    very cool!

That is so amazing!!!! Just beautiful! Keep posting you can never clog up the boards!!
    Is not not licking toads

as always your stuff is amazing ME!
    I love the fact that he actually looks like he could be a cactus! Brilliant!

I am looking forward to see your Blizzlor figure posted!

This figure was amazing to see at power con and one of my favorites. He really fits in with the motu universe and would be a great henchman for Evil Seed and nemesis to Moss-Man or Rio Blast I'm definitely going to be hunting down another Spikor to copy that recipe.
    At this time, I'm not taking commissions or selling any of my customs. Sorry everyone, I'm just a tease.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    that is real brilliance.
    a cyclops with a great reuse of parts. sweet!
    Wish List: Eldor, Skeleton Warriors, King Argho, Horde Wraiths, Kobolds, Prahvus, Lord Masque, Rock Monster, Gen. Tartaran, Evil Seed, Carnivorous Plant, Lizard-Man, Hawke, Crimson Fury, Melaktha, Spinwit, Ra-Jarr, Kelclar, King Miro, Dare, Missile-Toe, Sh'gora, Vizar, Harpy, ABC Giants, Lodar, Dragoon, Darius, Negator, Masks of Power Demons, Slob-Boar, Bubblor, Three-Beast, Nocturna

I love this! I say clog away MasterEnglish, clog away....

One of my favorites.
    cactus +1
    cyclops +1
    Spikor base +1
    enemy of Rio Blast (one of my favorite heroic warriors) +1
    Last edited by Zargon; October 2, 2012 at 12:00pm.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants Sagitar, Lizard Man, Tung Lashor, Mermista, Sssqueeze, Ninjor, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue

You clogged my toilet! Where the heck is PLUNGE-ORR?

that terrible joke said, I love your CACT-EYE and might just repaint my vintage copy in your color scheme.
    See ALL of my customs (tons of He-Man, Transformers, JLU, TNBX, Flash Gordon, and more in one organized Gallery):
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery....php?cat=10006

ALL OF MY HEMAN CUSTOMS ARE HERE:
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery...s.php?album=18

Snappy Threader
    Looks awesome!

Golems for 2016! AdultCollector's Avatar
    Another beautiful custom! Also, congrats on getting mentioned on Kotaku.com
    http://kotaku.com/5947753/black-he+m...iverse-figures

A truly great translation into MOTUC. Loving the chozen paint colours (the brown/green in his face) you did on him.
    Nope.... nothing here! Just a link to my site http://motumulder.webklik.nl/page/fotoalbum with customs!

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you all seem to like him as much as I do. He is front and center in my collection, I like him a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbryan View Post
    That is so amazing!!!! Just beautiful! Keep posting you can never clog up the boards!!
    Thank you, your vintage version makes me want to do one for myself. Been really thinking of getting into vintage customs lately...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    You clogged my toilet! Where the heck is PLUNGE-ORR?

that terrible joke said, I love your CACT-EYE and might just repaint my vintage copy in your color scheme.
    Dude, I just finished Plunge-Orr yesterday! Of course, he turned out looking like ****.

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    Another beautiful custom! Also, congrats on getting mentioned on Kotaku.com
    http://kotaku.com/5947753/black-he+m...iverse-figures
    AdultCollector, thanks a lot for showing me this, I had no idea this article existed.

This is utterly brilliant. Love me some Cyclops.
    Always in the market for Painted Backgrounds from the Filmation MOTU + She-Ra Toons, Bravestar, Blackstarr.

Aw, man is this guy brilliant.

Name based on a pun? CHECK!

Figure depicts the pun completely? CHECK!

You sculpted a big eye onto an existing head. You did it very well, but that sort of thing shouldn't work this well and it DOES!

I love how you highlighted the boot scales and arm fins to look like cactus parts. It's so very very clever and it makes the whole concept really tight.

Another lovely piece by you John. Great use of parts, great color scheme and good name. I always look forward to your customs.

My only critique is the mouth. As he is a 'plant' man, removing the mouth would really help the head stand apart from the original Spikor head. A cool hand swap could really help him pop. Perhaps a knobby cactus weapon on the opposite arm of Spikor. Also a red belt would really pop and match his eye. Just my opinion.

Otherwise, as with all your customs, he looks wonderful!
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; October 7, 2012 at 10:11pm.

Heroic Podcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeEyes22 View Post
    Aw, man is this guy brilliant.

Name based on a pun? CHECK!

Figure depicts the pun completely? CHECK!

You sculpted a big eye onto an existing head. You did it very well, but that sort of thing shouldn't work this well and it DOES!

I love how you highlighted the boot scales and arm fins to look like cactus parts. It's so very very clever and it makes the whole concept really tight.
    there are obviously a LOT of MOTUC customs out there but this guy has got to be in the Top-3 EVER that I've seen in that he totally looks like a part of MOTUC. I would have accepted him immediately had he been made in the 80s or in MOTUC now. Just a terrific, totally appropriate idea and pitch-perfect execution.

I like him a lot more than Castle Grayskull Man actually. This is the sort of figure that should have won that contest!
    Angella - BLADE! - Blast Attak - Buzzsaw Hordak - DOUBLE TROUBLE! - Dragstor - ELDOR! - ENTRAPTA! - EXTENDAR! - FLUTTERINA!
    Flying Fists He-Man - Gwildor - Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - Mermista - MultiBot - Ninjor - Peekablue - Perfuma
    RIO BLAST! - Rotar - Saurod - Spinnerella - Sssqueeze - SWEET BEE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - Tung Lashor - Twistoid

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    Another lovely piece by you John. Great use of parts, great color scheme and good name. I always look forward to your customs.

My only critique is the mouth. As he is a 'plant' man, removing the mouth would really help the head stand apart from the original Spikor head. A cool hand swap could really help him pop. Perhaps a knobby cactus weapon on the opposite arm of Spikor. Also a red belt would really pop and match his eye. Just my opinion.

Otherwise, as with all your customs, he looks wonderful!
    Thanks man, you always have good ideas. The idea of a cactus attachment for his hand is great. I might make one someday, it would really add a lot to him I think.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    there are obviously a LOT of MOTUC customs out there but this guy has got to be in the Top-3 EVER that I've seen in that he totally looks like a part of MOTUC. I would have accepted him immediately had he been made in the 80s or in MOTUC now. Just a terrific, totally appropriate idea and pitch-perfect execution.

I like him a lot more than Castle Grayskull Man actually. This is the sort of figure that should have won that contest!
    Thanks a lot! The concept of the figure is not mine, he was copied from a vintage custom by COTU and Chrisbryan. If you haven't checked out their customs, do it! I took som artistic liberties with him, but their character design and execution is what I based this guy off of.

LOL another classic!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

If you cut him, does he bleed water?

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Wow!! This is off the hook awesome!!

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Brilliant custom! Also great character idea and name
    I'd love to see him teaming up with Evil Seed!
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Amazing work!!

This guy is awesome, another favorite of mine that I saw at Power-Con. I wish Cact-Eye, Blizzlor, and O-Beast were actual characters in MOTUC.