Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe | Ongoing #18 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe | Ongoing #18 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    ONGOING COMIC SERIES

Issue #18
    "The Blood of Grayskull" part 5
    (6/6)

Based on a story by: Rob David & Lloyd Goldfine
    Script: Dan Abnett
    Art: Pop Mhan
    Colour: Mark Roberts
    Cover: Stjepan Sejic

Darkness has taken over Eternia. He-Man is dead. Only one person can save the day. She is Adora. She is She-Ra!

Get your copy from a local comicbook store or digitally from comiXology!

SPOILERS

NOTES
    • Loved the cameo of Dragstor, Filmationish Catra, 200x Horde Wraiths and Scorpia.
    • Nice use of a Filmation Throne for Hordak. That was a cool addition.
    • Dark Horde is something I need to get used to, but it helps to separate the story arcs, if that is the name used from here on out.
    • Hordak making Grayskull in his own image looks pretty cool. (and gives credence to that mini-series "Skeletorized Grayskull")
    • So now Hordak has BOTH blood of King Randor and blood of He-Man. Maybe he can use that to escape Despondos and build himself a body. Who knows what else he can do with that blood?
    • Could have used MORE PAGES! LOL. The events go by really fast, especially how He-Man and She-Ra took care of the Fright Zone that was threatening Anwat-Gar.

It was so cool to finally meet She-Ra after all the build up. She's beautiful and powerful. What I wonder is, now that she is She-Ra, will she still struggle with her Despara persona reasserting itself or did the coming of She-Ra burn that away?

Since this was the last issue of this series, do Comixology users need to subscribe to get the new series or will this subscription continue automatically to the new series?
    He-Man and She-Ra, the ultimate power duo!

I totally LOVE the appearance of Dragstor! The more of him, the better!

I also dig She-Ra's design alot. Best I've seen in years!

I'm not too happy about the identity of Saryn's son. Feels a bit forced. Gotta wait more on that for full judgement, though.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRa789 View Post
    It was so cool to finally meet She-Ra after all the build up. She's beautiful and powerful. What I wonder is, now that she is She-Ra, will she still struggle with her Despara persona reasserting itself or did the coming of She-Ra burn that away?

Since this was the last issue of this series, do Comixology users need to subscribe to get the new series or will this subscription continue automatically to the new series?
    There actually is one more issue next month, #19. After that the new series starts in December. For Comixology, you will need to subscribe to the new series, it will not do it automatically.

This was another great issue, She-Ra looks GREAT! I do agree that it felt a little too short, but I think that's also because the story is getting quite engaging. One cool thing I noticed is that when the Sword of Protection changes into its current "modern" form, it looks a lot like toy She-Ra's sword. And with the red jewel it reminds me a lot of Bubble Power She-Ra's sword. Not sure of that was intentional or not, but I thought it was a cool touch.

Castle Hordakskull looks pretty impressive too, the addition of the Fright Zone legs was a nice touch.

I almost got a Little choked up when Adora was finally saying the words to become She-Ra.

And I really liked the design for She-Ra. Very nice.

Oh, and to add to list of cool things: I loved Grizzlor's "backpack"

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Oh, and to add to list of cool things: I loved Grizzlor's "backpack"
    Which looks a bit nicer here, than in #7 when we saw it the first time..

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Which looks a bit nicer here, than in #7 when we saw it the first time..
    Well, that's then probably why I don't remember it from issue #7

Very cool read

I demand a solo she-ra comic wth the horde heavily involved (shadow weaver, scorpia, vultak, dylamug & possibly more!!!)
    DC you need to make this happen
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    Whats next ?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    That was a pretty nice issue!

If Skeletor is Saryn's son, then he has to be old as hell then...unless she had him in modern times.

Hordak has to escape from Despondos. That's cool. I was wondering how he was going to look like actual Hordak again.

I love the Horde Wraiths all lined up on the steps to the throne.

"Something tells me we have a lot to talk about."

The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

when she-ra looks at adam ... that face and that position ... I think it is out of a she-ra mini comic. i have to double check.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    There actually is one more issue next month, #19. After that the new series starts in December. For Comixology, you will need to subscribe to the new series, it will not do it automatically.
    What's the title of the new series going to be, Battle for Eternia or something along those lines?
    He-Man and She-Ra, the ultimate power duo!

Did anybody catch the little nod to Secret of the Sword...a line uttered by He-Man toward the end...BRILLIANT!

Saryn is Skeletor's mother huh? I can believe this. We don't know how long she's been The Gar Hag. Maybe she drank some Grayskull blood, or maybe the sword preserved her, but then evil magic corrupted her?

In any case, such a great issue!

I have mixed feelings about Skeletors new origin. I really liked the 200x backstory for him.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Great issue!!! Loved it and can't wait to get the next one!

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    I have mixed feelings about Skeletors new origin. I really liked the 200x backstory for him.
    It doesn't change his origin does it? The only difference is that we now know who Capt Mirro did the wild thing with.. Perhaps he fell under a spell of the witch and that's why he had a child with her.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    It doesn't change his origin does it? The only difference is that we now know who Capt Mirro did the wild thing with.. Perhaps he fell under a spell of the witch and that's why he had a child with her.
    LMAO! Like Beowulf in that 3D flick?

The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

I really enjoyed this issue and had been waiting for She-Ra's proper debut since they introduced Despara. Loved the cameos by Horde members. However, I found Grizzlor's snakehead coat to be so weird. I wonder if they will explain it (perhaps as a battle trophy of the war with the snake men?). Anyway, great issue. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by amax13 View Post
    I found Grizzlor's snakehead coat to be so weird. I wonder if they will explain it
    It's a nod to the Snake-Head from vintage Fright Zone-playset.

Heroic Warrior
    This was a good ending to a great arc! I believe that this arc has added a lot to DC MOTU's continuity. Obbviously She-Ra's Origin was the central plot, but other elements were introduced to the whole mythos as well: the Preternia saga, the fate of King Grayskull, the Gar, the reinclusion of He-Ro as part of the Twins ancestry, the return of Tri-Klops, and of course the introduction of Saryn. Saryn is a great new character (even if at the end she was not Shokoti as i presumed from the previous issues) and i believe that the end left her mark in the DC MOTU story. And i don't believe that the revelation that she is indeed Keldor's mother was forced. There was a strong suspicion about that, since the first issue of this arc, and it became stronger as the story continued to unfold. In this issue we have only the final confirm. Since Saryn cursed by the blood that she split, became an Immortal Witch, it was next that at a certain point she would met Miro. Now the question is how and under what circumstances she and Miro met, since she supposed to live in this cave for all this time. Perhaps Miro visit the cave somehow and she seduced him with a spell. But how this was possible since Anwat Gar was supposed to be forbidden to reach for the rest of the Eternians? Did Miro broke this law? And if she gave birth to Keldor how Miro found him and took him to Eternos? If Saryn believed that Keldor was the savior, why she didn't make a contact with him? Why she didn't try to give him the Sword of Protection? There are actually a lot of open questions here.

Now about issue #18, what i liked most:

- The battle between Saryn and Adora. I liked how Saryn tried to take advantage with Adora's emotions and doubts about her past life, and her family and how Adora respond to her. The destruction of Despara's mask is quite symbolic. Adora didn't care at all, because she already have made her desicion. Despara died with the mask. Adora chose Grayskull and accept her destiny and her birthright. Great scene.

- Adora's trasformation to She-Ra is awesome. Pop Mhan but also Mark Roberts with the colours did a fantastic job giving a Filmation light literally, to the process. Rob David didn't exaggerated when he said that they did an insane job here!

- The scene of He-Man's cure is fantastic! A lot of alternating emotions in a few panels, from desperation, to hope, to relief at the end!

- The double "I have the Power" war cry and and the first team-up by the Twins of Power.

- The small but significant character moment for He-Man during his meeting with the Gar. Pop Mhan captured a really great expression for He-Man in one panel. He looked hurt, sad and thoughtful at the same moment after Gar's betrayal. And in this point Dan Abnett delivers one of the best characterization of He-Man since the ongoing begun. He-Man comprehend what drove them to betray him. The fear! And then he decided to put an end to this fear, the darkness and the isolation that was upon the Gar for all these years and he renew his invitation to them for joining the rest of Eternia. Much better concept than the horrible "exiled because of his blue skin" Classic idea.

.- The HordeSkull was great. And it was awesome to see again Grizzlor (Abnett's General Grizzlor in issue #7 was actually what convinced me that Giffen's run was finaly behind us) but also other Horde members as well like Catra, Scorpia, Dragstor and of course the Horde Wraiths. It was interesting to see Tri-Klops calling Hordak "lord". I believe when Skeletor will eventually return they will have a lot to talk about as He-Man would said! At least for once Evil-Lyn was the loyal one. And Hordak now has He-Man's blood so he can return from Despondos, but also he can have access to the Ring of Eternity and the Starseed. Eternity War here it comes!

What i didn't like:

- Nothing this time. Perhaps the fast resolution of the battle with the Fright Zone and the instant recovery and turning in to battle mode of He-Man, but these are minor complaints. Overall it was a great ending! Dan Abnett, Pop Mhan and Mark Roberts did an excellent job! Kudos also to Rob David & Lloyd Goldfine for the story!
    Last edited by granamyr80; October 23, 2014 at 10:14am.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    LMAO! Like Beowulf in that 3D flick?
    Could be, I've never seen that movie.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    This was a good ending to a great arc! I believe that this arc has added a lot to DC MOTU's continuity. Obbviously She-Ra's Origin was the central plot, but other elements were introduced to the whole mythos as well: the Preternia saga, the fate of King Grayskull, the Gar, the reinclusion of He-Ro as part of the Twins ancestry, the return of Tri-Klops, and of course the introduction of Saryn. Saryn is a great new character (even if at the end she was not Shokoti as i presumed from the previous issues) and i believe that the end left her mark in the DC MOTU story. And i don't believe that the revelation that she is indeed Keldor's mother was forced. There was a strong suspicion about that, since the first issue of this arc, and it became stronger as the story continued to unfold. In this issue we have only the final confirm. Since Saryn cursed by the blood that she split, became an Immortal Witch, it was next that at a certain point she would met Miro. Now the question is how and under what circumstances she and Miro met, since she supposed to live in this cave for all this time. Perhaps Miro visit the cave somehow and she seduced him with a spell. But how this was possible since Anwat Gar was supposed to be forbidden to reach for the rest of the Eternians? Did Miro broke this law? And if she gave birth to Keldor how Miro found him and took him to Eternos? If Saryn believed that Keldor was the savior, why she didn't make a contact with him? Why she didn't try to give him the Sword of Protection? There are actually a lot of open questions here.

- The battle between Saryn and Adora. I liked how Saryn tried to take advantage with Adora's emotions and doubts about her past life, and her family and how Adora respond to her. The destruction of Despara's mask is quite symbolic. Adora didn't care at all, because she already have made her desicion. Despara died with the mask. Adora chose Grayskull and accept her destiny and her birthright. Great scene.

- Adora's trasformation to She-Ra is awesome. Pop Mhan but also Mark Roberts with the colours did a fantastic job giving a Filmation light literally, to the process. Rob David didn't exaggerated when he said that they did an insane job here!

- The scene of He-Man's cure is fantastic! A lot of alternating emotions in a few panels, from desperation, to hope, to relief at the end!

- The double "I have the Power" war cry and and the first team-up by the Twins of Power.

- The small but significant character moment for He-Man during his meeting with the Gar. Pop Mhan captured a really great expression for He-Man in one panel. He looked hurt, sad and thoughtful at the same moment after Gar's betrayal. And in this point Dan Abnett delivers one of the best characterization of He-Man since the ongoing begun. He-Man comprehend what drove them to betray him. The fear! And then he decided to put an end to this fear, the darkness and the isolation that was upon the Gar for all these years and he renew his invitation to them for joining the rest of Eternia. Much better concept than the horrible "exiled because of his blue skin" Classic idea.

.- The HordeSkull was great. And it was awesome to see again Grizzlor (Abnett's General Grizzlor in issue #7 was actually what convinced me that Giffen's run was finaly behind us) but also other Horde members as well like Catra, Scorpia, Dragstor and of course the Horde Wraiths. It was interesting to see Tri-Klops calling Hordak "lord". I believe when Skeletor will eventually return they will have a lot to talk about as He-Man would said! At least for once Evil-Lyn was the loyal one. And Hordak now has He-Man's blood so he can return from Despondos, but also he can have access to the Ring of Eternity and the Starseed. Eternity War here it comes!

What i didn't like:

- Nothing this time. Perhaps the fast resolution of the battle with the Fright Zone and the instant recovery and turning in to battle mode of He-Man, but these are minor complaints. Overall it was a great ending! Dan Abnett, Pop Mhan and Mark Roberts did an excellent job! Kudos also to Rob David & Lloyd Goldfine for the story!
    What more needs to be said. That critique was awesome and detailed. Love it.
    I'm a huge MOTU fan and am learning more and more about the MOTU franchise the more I come to this site.

Yeah what I want explained finally is how miro and sayrn meet and why miro would do it. I mean even as Saryn in normal form, it's still a superebel of him to travel to anwat gar and engage with a gar . I really hope they explore this further

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    This was a good ending to a great arc! I believe that this arc has added a lodt to DC MOTU's continuity. Obbviously She-Ra's Origin was the central plot, but other elements were introduced to the whole mythos as well: the Preternia saga, the fate of King Grayskull, the Gar, the reinclusion of He-Ro as part of the Twins ancestry, the return of Tri-Klops, and of course the introduction of Saryn. Saryn is a great new character (even if at the end she was not Shokoti as i presumed from the previous issues) and i believe that the end left her mark in the DC MOTU story. And i don't believe that the revelation that she is indeed Keldor's mother was forced. There was a strong suspicion about that, since the first issue of this arc, and it became stronger as the story continued to unfold. In this issue we have only the final confirm. Since Saryn cursed by the blood that she split, became an Immortal Witch, it was next that at a certain point she would met Miro. Now the question is how and under what circumstances she and Miro met, since she supposed to live in this cave for all this time. Perhaps Miro visit the cave somehow and she seduced him with a spell. But how this was possible since Anwat Gar was supposed to be forbidden to reach for the rest of the Eternians? Did Miro broke this law? And if she gave birth to Keldor how Miro found him and took him to Eternos? If Saryn believed that Keldor was the savior, why she didn't make a contact with him? Why she didn't try to give him the Sword of Protection? There are actually a lot of open questions here.

What i didn't like:

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Well, if they could somehow explain the time difference, then I guess the answer is "no"?
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    Another good comic. Here’s some more notes on the story:

• Nice ‘David and Goliath’ action-packed battle between Adora and Saryn. I was on tenterhooks throughout…
    • It was a great idea having the Sword of Protection burning the corrupted flesh off Saryn’s right hand and arm. Also, the way the loss of Marlena’s locket inspired Adora against Saryn. It's details such as these that allow you to immerse yourself in the story more and show how much MOTUC is valued by both the DC comic team and Mattel.
    • I was surprised that Saryn was Skeletor’s mother. I had concluded that if Skeletor was her child she would have given him the sword by now and he would have already used it against He-Man or to become Skeletor-Ra, Skeletora or something like that. Perhaps, the Sword of Protection can only be used by Adora or another female heir of King Grayskull. Regardless I hoping Keldor’s and Saryn’s exact relationship will be explained in a later issue.
    • The image where She-Ra holds aloft her sword and says “I am She-Ra” is very beautiful and suggestive of raw power. I especially like the golden lightning-like energy and the meandering blue speckled energy emanating from her sword. It’s very Filmation-like. I wouldn’t mind knowing more about the mysterious meandering blue speckled energy though.
    • I laughed at the panel where She-Ra says “Oh!” and He-Man is on his back. My boyish mind can easily misinterpret the scene……
    • Poor Swiftwind he doesn’t seem to get armour when Adora turns to She-Ra. He’s been short-changed in comparison to Cringer/Battle Cat. All I can say is battle steeds/unicorns need their armour too!
    • It appears Grizzlor is in charge of the Dark Horde when Hordak is not around and Catra does not look too happy about it. He better watch his back. And there's no Shadow Weaver? I presume she will cheat death and return.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller