Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is the rarest classics figure?

Forgive my ignorance, but why is Fisto considered rare? Can someone explain to me what happened? Just curious.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly!"

Quote Originally Posted by Red Warrior View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but why is Fisto considered rare? Can someone explain to me what happened? Just curious.
    Mattyrtel messed up and made too few figures, even some people with Subs never got him. He sold out extremely fast.

- - - Updated - - -

This She-Ra is the rarest, as only two were ever made:

Silver+Shera.jpg

I don't think you can exactly judge how rare certain figures are just by demand and cost on sites like ebay. The problem is some characters are going to be more sought after or kept without being sold off by collectors. People who are wanting to get figures they had as a kid and keep them, compounded with when said figures were released causes prices to go up and how hard people hunt for them. Easier to find figures could be more figures a large number of people just don't want.

We know Fisto was underproduced, since he didn't even make it too all subscribers.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I don't think you can exactly judge how rare certain figures are just by demand and cost on sites like ebay. The problem is some characters are going to be more sought after or kept without being sold off by collectors. People who are wanting to get figures they had as a kid and keep them, compounded with when said figures were released causes prices to go up and how hard people hunt for them. Easier to find figures could be more figures a large number of people just don't want.

We know Fisto was underproduced, since he didn't even make it too all subscribers.
    Ya... It's Teela, then Shadow Weaver and Fisto... Shadow Weaver is most expensive. Teela and Fisto are very close in price and there are a few less Teela's floating around.
    Sure the Chrome She-Ra and Bronze Grayskull and Spirit of He-Ro are even more rare... because of limited runs. But I am just talking basic checklist figures.
    Last edited by He-Dude; January 20, 2013 at 04:33pm.

Silver She-Ra and Spirit of King Grayskull are the rarest ones but they shouldn't count as only a handful of them were made and they were not widely released. I think only two She-Ra's and three clear Grayskulls were made for employees and special auctions, so there's no chance that even a hardcore collector can obtain them these days. Bronze SDCC would be the rarest "widely released" MOTUC figure, then. He was just a chase variant of the regular SDCC figure and I've seen him offered on eBay on a few rare occassions at about the price of Castle Grayskull itself!

Otherwise, there a few standard MOTUC figures that are becoming harder and harder to get. Here's how I rank them, in terms of rarity and price...

#5 - Fisto: Arguably the best figure of 2012, he sold out right away but what makes him rarer than normal is that Matty made a major blunder with his distribution. A lot of sub holders got a Sorceress in a Fisto mailer box and when they were returned for an exchange, Matty announced that they had ran out of their extra CS stock right away! The infamous "Fisto Fiasco" resulted in the only time that some subscribers did not receive their monthly figure. It's still a mystery as to how many Fistos were actually made or why they miscalculated so badly with him!

#4 - Shadow Weaver: The first Filmation figure to be made, the Mistress of Horror Hall was released in limited numbers due to being a sub exclusive figure. This was controversial move since many fans and collectors consider her a top want and an essential POP/Horde member. She wasn't rare to find in 2012 but her prices have consistently been in the $100+ range, making her pricey to obtain. She's slowly becoming harder to find, though.

#3 - Wun-Dar: Another sub-exclusive that was released in limited numbers, the Savage He-Man is starting to become as elusive as his vintage origins. As a figure, there's little special about him. Seriously, you can paint He-Man's hair brown and throw on a black repaint of that pink/purple Zodac armor from the Weapons Pack and you have him! By himself, Wun-Dar isn't so pricey but if you want the Map of Eternia that came with him, then you're looking in the $100+ range again. I'd argue that the map is more sought-after and rarer than Wun-Dar!

#2 - Teela: The beautiful and headstrong Captain of the Royal Guard, she's a consistent top want among collectors. As an A-list character, and one of the Original Eight vintage figures, Teela defines what an Essential figure is and yet Matty stopped making re-releases just before her. Whenever a collection is sold, Teela is almost always the first figure to get snatched up. While she hasn't been the most expensive figure to get (Although that's starting to change recently), Teela is rarely available for sale because she's a keeper!

#1 - Battle Armor Faker: While Teela is the most sought-after figure, BA Faker is usually both rarer to find and more expensive. He was the last of the TRU two-packs but was cut from store distribution due to low MOTUC vs DC sales. Instead, he became a SDCC exclusive and was offered for a while on Matty and even made it to some stores before selling out completely. Being the only regular release figure that almost wasn't released makes him attractive to collectors. He's also a fun fan-requested variant that was never made in the vintage collection. Finally, he's the only figure that's not listed in Matty's MOTUC catalog, making it difficult for a casual collector to even know that he exists!

Well, that's my list. Honorable mentions go to Whiplash, Red-Stoned He-Ro, and Scareglow...They're still not too pricey but I am seeing less and less of them!

Heroic Warrior
    I have two Fistos (cherry picked through day of sales... sorry sub holders! Matty. ). Both are loose, but mint. I might sell one, but it depends. How much are they worth do you think?
    Last edited by Vikor; January 20, 2013 at 05:11pm.

Most of the figures talked about here, carded for for 70-150$ US.

Loose hard to say, I see many people on ebay try to sell the figures loose but often are trying to charge MOSC prices, or knock off 5 bucks. And while some do sell, I think from more desperate buyers, I think most get relisted. I don't think some sellers get there is a difference in MOSC and loose in terms of cost. Most of the loose ones that do sell are going for half what their MOSC friends are of the same figure.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    I have two Fistos (cherry picked through day of sales... sorry sub holders! Matty. ). Both are loose, but mint. I might sell one, but it depends. How much are they worth do you think?
    loose fistos end on ebay between 80-100 dollars average

I know that he hasn't been released yet, but due to the significant drop in subs this year, don't you think King He-Man will be the lowest item produced to date (when he comes out)? Previously it was Shadow Weaver. This would be outside of exclusives, but nobody knows the numbers, so he could be the lowest ever. I doubt Teela was really produced in that low of numbers, but probably just not out in the market. I have 3 (1 MOC & 2 to display both heads).

Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    I know that he hasn't been released yet, but due to the significant drop in subs this year, don't you think King He-Man will be the lowest item produced to date (when he comes out)? Previously it was Shadow Weaver. This would be outside of exclusives, but nobody knows the numbers, so he could be the lowest ever. I doubt Teela was really produced in that low of numbers, but probably just not out in the market. I have 3 (1 MOC & 2 to display both heads).
    This is what I was getting at. People are just wanting to let go of their Teela, and for many people she is a must of their collection so there is more demand then there is product. I believe we have been told not all figures get the same production numbers, this is for sure with exclusives and possibly true with regular subline figures. I could see say Granamyr having a lower production number because Mattel would more than likely anticipate people not buying because of size and cost of figure. He just isn't in huge demand, but because of lower production could be technically rarer than other figures.

I make a distinction between rare and hard to find. Rarity often makes something more valuable, but not always more sought after. Teela is definetly sought after, I am just not sure how many figures were actually made. She is rarer than say He-man, but is she rarer than Fisto, or SDCC color change Orko? Or Shadowweaver or other exclusive figures or figures that were planned to have smaller production because of size or foresight on demand (which may or may not be the case).

If we are talking about production numbers then King He-Man is sure to join this list shortly.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Battle Armor Faker for sure....TRU Exclusive...maybe 500 made. The silver she-Ra isn't a figure. Just a statue made in POP behalf. Otherwise it's Fisto,Teela & SW.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot about Flocked Ears Moss Man.

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Netossa w/o the black spot on the cape is the rarest figure...it seems only 10 were made, and they were all opened by TG.
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!

Ebay is not always a good thermometer for a figure's rarity. Often a seller will see only one or two others selling am item so they jack up their asking price and BAM the new market price has been set so all the others follow suit. For example Whiplash, the guy has never been overly expensive yet, he is now Buy It Now priced for roughly $70. That price its way too high and in a few weeks it will dip down again. He wasn't short produced or anything.

IMO Battle Armor Faker is the hardest figure to come by other than the EXTREMELY RARE KG and She-Ra's.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
    Flocked ears Moss Man, TRU Bizzaro v Faker, Teela, Shadow Weaver and perhaps Wun-Dar too would fit into the above categories IMO.
    These, plus Purple Stone He-Ro...

I think that there are more Teela's around then what we see (I have three of her myself). Sellers are biding their time hoping to get as much as possible for her. I really hope Matty comes to their senses and re-releases Teela and Tri-Klops and puts a dash on these sellers profits...
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

The Sorceress is rare and expensive. Can't believe she hasn't been mentioned here.
    Beast Man also seems pretty rare and expensive. I was toying with getting a second one, but then saw the ebay prices for the two that were even listed...no thanks.

I'm wondering if the line is just getting rare in general...it's 4 years old now, people's collections are getting completed with figures they missed, and it's a niche market anyway.

I think the rarest in this order are Teela, Tri Klops, Fisto & Rattlor ..... and soon to be the most rare King He-Man!!

Heroic Warrior
    Guys and gals, we have to talk about rarity in terms of production numbers, and Scott has said more than once that apart from the aforementioned special edition She-Ra and King Grayskull variants (and maybe even the SDCC Grayskull himself?), Shadow Weaver had fewer units produced than any other figure. Even Fisto would have had more because he was produced in greater quantities than SW, despite the fact that Matty lost some of them.

It may seem as if a figure is more rare just because it doesn't appear on eBay that often, but that may also be due to the fact that many collectors are unwilling to let go of their Teela, for example, than a Shadow Weaver. I could especially see this being true if several people bought multiple 2012 subs.

King He-Man will be the rarest figure once he is produced because of the decline in sub numbers. Scott has also said that.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Widget
    It seems like any figure with two heads is harder to obtain, because collecters want to display them with both heads, cutting down on the availiability on the market. Fisto, Whiplash, and Teela fall into that category. I would look for Queen Marlena to fall into the harder to obtain category soon, but see losse Cringers flooding the market place. I think Webstor might be getting hard to obtain, but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Guys and gals, we have to talk about rarity in terms of production numbers, and Scott has said more than once that apart from the aforementioned special edition She-Ra and King Grayskull variants (and maybe even the SDCC Grayskull himself?), Shadow Weaver had fewer units produced than any other figure. Even Fisto would have had more because he was produced in greater quantities than SW, despite the fact that Matty lost some of them.

It may seem as if a figure is more rare just because it doesn't appear on eBay that often, but that may also be due to the fact that many collectors are unwilling to let go of their Teela, for example, than a Shadow Weaver. I could especially see this being true if several people bought multiple 2012 subs.

King He-Man will be the rarest figure once he is produced because of the decline in sub numbers. Scott has also said that.
    To put out how this works, you rarely see figures like He-man or Skeletor in the marketplace here unless they are in a lot. You also don't see many people looking for them, unless they are looking for something on the cheap cheap side of things. This could lead someone to believe they were rare if you somehow missed the essentials page on matty. I don't think Sorceress was short changed in packaging, they just goofed and didn't hold back CS stock. Something happened with Fisto, he should have had the same production numbers but figures got lost or something happened.

At the same time 2011-2012 was supposedly a high time for demand and production numbers may have been increased, but this year was scaled back.

Castle Grayskull man is another example of most likely not rare, fans just bought him up which caused his secondary market value to go up. Of course the problem is I see his value going down, as he is very much a love or hate him type figure. Those who loved him were buying up multiples.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    Shadow Weaver isn't rare, only very sough after and expensive
    That's technically incorrect. She is as of now the rarest produced MOTUC figure, as in less were made of her than any previous figure. She will be #2 once King He-man is released.

I know you mean to find on the secondary market, but in terms of how many are out there - she is the rarest until King He-man comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Micro-Man View Post
    #1 - Battle Armor Faker: While Teela is the most sought-after figure, BA Faker is usually both rarer to find and more expensive. He was the last of the TRU two-packs but was cut from store distribution due to low MOTUC vs DC sales. Instead, he became a SDCC exclusive and was offered for a while on Matty and even made it to some stores before selling out completely. Being the only regular release figure that almost wasn't released makes him attractive to collectors. He's also a fun fan-requested variant that was never made in the vintage collection. Finally, he's the only figure that's not listed in Matty's MOTUC catalog, making it difficult for a casual collector to even know that he exists!...!
    BA Faker was never offered at Matty as none of the MOTUC vs DC packs were. It was only offered for 5 secs on TRU's page, that's why it is so rare.
    In that order, MOTUC vs DC He-Man is quite rare also, you may have been able to find Lex vs Skeletor pack quite often, but Supes vs He-Man became quite hard to find.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I think Teela and Shadow Weaver, for sure. They're both going for absurd prices. Weaver isn't really "rare" per se, but I think she soon will be. I think Teela definitely is, though. There’s clearly something about Teela. Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the 200x figure of her pretty rare, too?
    Yes the 200X Teela was hard to find in the US as she was in the "smash blade" wave. Also she wasn't released at all in the UK or Europe.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonSOS View Post
    i have the red-eyed He-man moc. Mine was delivered w/ beast-man dec 12th 2008 and neither one even had the hang tabs put on the back of the card. they didn't start putting those on until later.
    if people are that picky about considering those a package variation, they are pretty rare.
    I was gonna mention that. Ive got a set of the tag less first edition He-Man and Beast Man.

- - - Updated - - -

I had no idea that Fisto was so expensive!!! Makes me wish I hadn't used my extras for customs... *face palm*

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    I was fortunate enough to have caught on to this line before it started so I've been collecting since day one. I too have the very first He-man and Beastman figures that arrived in December 2008 and I've purchased at least two of everything since then. I haven't needed to look on Ebay for anything and I'm amazed to hear what everyone is talking about with the prices for these on the secondary market...my God I can't believe Teela is THAT expensive but it makes sense! Taking out the variants of King Grayskull etc I'd say that Battle Armor Faker and Shadow Weaver are the rarest in terms of numbers. King He-man will definetly take the top spot on that list this year so I'm glad I bought four subs. I'm now considering hanging on to all four King He-man figures because of the low run. As far as I'm concerned he's already worth $100+. I may even pick up a few more Ram Man's the day of. With the increased cost and the lower production numbers everything released from now on will probably become more rare in terms of numbers than everything released before this year. Finally I'm thinking about what this massive and growing collection must be worth! I am surrounded by carded and boxed figures in my office and as I look at them I can't help but think that they're all going to double and triple in value over time and who knows where that will stop. Then there's Granamyr. We actually have Granamyr and the one I have kept boxed will be the first release of this figure forever. I remember when this collection was He-man, Beastman, Skeletor, Stratos and NY Toy Fair Faker and how proud I was of it. But look at it now! Wow.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!