View Poll Results: Reuse of parts in MotUC: Positive or Negative?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive. I love the nostalgia!

70 53.03%
  • Negative. The reuse of parts is a big drawback.

21 15.91%
  • I wouldn't be interested in MotUC if they did not reuse parts.

1 0.76%
  • I would be more interested in MotUC if they did not reuse parts.

26 19.70%
  • I really couldn't care less. All the same to me.

14 10.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reuse of parts in MotUC: Positive or negative?

Reuse of parts in MotUC: Positive or negative?

Don't get me wrong, I love the new Classics and will buy most...probably all...of them. But I'm not thrilled with the reuse of parts. I understand the nostalgia factor they're trying to bring in, but I think we could've had a "Classics" line without massive reuse. Partial reuse would've been fine, but it seems a little too much to me. Still, I will buy them anyway, and enjoy them nearly as much as 200X. Where are you?

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

I'm 100% fine with everything we've been shown so far. I guess I'm lucky in the sense that, while I realize there's some re-use going on in the line, I'm not the type of person who focuses in on it too much.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    I don't think it's a total downer, but I am a little bit disappointed. I would prefer it if there was more new parts, one can still get the classic look of the figures without reusing the same parts over and over.

I'm hoping the later figures will have less reused parts.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I chose "I really couldn't care less. All the same to me." because I don't have a problem with the original classics reusing parts or these. I hope it was able to decrease the cost of the figures, which would give the reuse a positive spin. I'd hate to imagine if they were more than $20 a pop. I wouldn't want to pay more just to have all original parts.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I love He-Man and The Masters of the Universe. The Reuse parts in MOTUC line is a little bit cheap. They said that this line is for the Fans the collectors. I can believe that because of the price of the figures, but the same hands, same feet, same torsos, that is wrong, even disrespectful at this time. We deserve better. In the past people complain about re-paint and now are super excited with recycle figures, ironic. Long live MOTU. We are going to have fun with this line and support it more than Mattel does, Because we are the FANS !!!

Evil fears the Knight mattnotis's Avatar
    I don't mind as long as they still retain their individuality and they don't go overboard with it.
    Wabawalawoo!!!

No way!
    Keep the classic style but rebuilt everything

In all fairness Lioncourt, the re-used parts issue is different for most people than it is for you. If someone were to remove Zodac, and Merman's legs and asked you to identify them, you couldn't do it right? For everyone else they have significant differences despite having the same sculpt.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for not appreciating the part re-use (yes I am ), but most everyone has a different perspective than you do.

I really don't mind too much. After all if it bothered me that much how could I be so passionate about the vintage figs? And of them, the First couple waves are by far the best.
    Even when I was young it was obvious there they reused most of the basic body molds, BUT it was the character designs, colours, weapons and accessories that made them so appealing!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    In all fairness Lioncourt, the re-used parts issue is different for most people than it is for you. If someone were to remove Zodac, and Merman's legs and asked you to identify them, you couldn't do it right? For everyone else they have significant differences despite having the same sculpt.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for not appreciating the part re-use (yes I am ), but most everyone has a different perspective than you do.
    That's true, and that is a large reason for this poll. I wanted to see what other's perspectives were. Your points are fair and accurate, but the reuse of parts isn't quite that detrimental to my enjoyment of the figures. I love the 1980's line, too.

In the end, it doesn't seem my views are too far off from most. More than 50% of respondents on this poll have said that the reuse is either a negative, or else they'd be more interested in MotUC without reuse of parts.

I'm sure we're all still going to love MotUC, though. And I can't wait to get my hands on more.

" … or the one … "

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Negative for right now.

I understand that MOTUC doesn't have the budget or resources of a "real" retail toyline, but compared to what we've got and what we're used to now, re-using parts makes them look extremely cheap, nostalgia be damned. I'm used to Moss Man being composed of vines and all sorts of plant matter now, not a flocked Green Beastman. I'm used to MAA, Snout Spout and Meckaneck wearing meched out armor now, not spandex bodysuits. I dunno...maybe if they made reuses canon, somehow...like depicting EVERYONE, even background characters wearing the bracelets, furry boots and underwear like that was a planetwide style...

When the 4H re-did MOTU, they recreated them in a very sensible and grown-up style, which was great because it matched our grown up mentalities. MOTU had grown with us. Most of their ideas rocked, some didn't. Now mere re-colored clones of original characters had their own unique sculpts. The detail and thought that went into the design on EACH figure was astounding. Going back to reused parts seems like a huge step down.

MOTUC isn't a line to sleep on though. Going from the 8 back, we'll have new versions of old characters that we haven't seen before...at least until we get to Mekaneck (past the Barbarian He-Man Alcala/Texiera era) and the 1985 and onward characters whose art was basically like the toy. Then we might be looking at basically the 80's toys only with modern articulation.

POP and NA characters will be shots of fresh air because they are done in this style. POP characters will seem like NEW MOTU characters PERIOD, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing those characters (that is IF they start looking more MOTU-ish with the furry boots and Teela/Evil-Lyn bracelets), especially if they had different sculpts, but since they weren't MOTU characters, they might as well be new. And NA characters do have unique sculpts but were scrawny looking, so any added muscle mass would work wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by Lioncourt View Post

In the end, it doesn't seem my views are too far off from most. More than 50% of respondents on this poll have said that the reuse is either a negative, or else they'd be more interested in MotUC without reuse of parts.
    The difference is, your views are based on a legitimate concern, and the others who agree with you just don't get the spirit of MotUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    The difference is, your views are based on a legitimate concern, and the others who agree with you just don't get the spirit of MotUC.

A fair point, though I don't think I agree. I think the "spirit" of MotUC could've have been just the same...just as "classic"...without the reuse of parts.

But again, I don't want to take anything away from the new line. I really do like the new MotUC figures a lot.

" … or the one … "

I would've appreciated if they didn't use the same furry pants for all figures (that we've seen till now), and if Skeletor, Mer-Man and Zodac had different boots and underarms. For example, I would've preffered if Zodac had He-Man's underarms (without wrist bands) and new sculpts on the boots.
    I admit though that it's not a huge problem for me. It's just that if I had the chance, I would've voted for more different parts in those areas (pants, boots, underarms).
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

I'm ALL for the reusing of the parts BUT... with certain characters they should make new limbs if the character requires it due to its initial design.

I voted positive, not for nostalgia's sake but because it means getting to more characters. And, eventually some characters will be unique enough to require their own molds. And, it seems the reused parts are being somewhat disguised enough...it doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    I voted positive, not for nostalgia's sake but because it means getting to more characters. And, eventually some characters will be unique enough to require their own molds. And, it seems the reused parts are being somewhat disguised enough...it doesn't bother me.
    The thing is, they could have reused the parts without making it quite so transparent. For example, the arms in the MotUC line, based on KG, are divided into four separate pieces. Swapping out the section that runs from elbow to wrist with a more character appropriate design would've gone a long way toward satisfying everyone, I think. JMHO.

" … or the one … "

Well it worked the first time so why not try again?
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

raised from the depths of unicron to hunt venom
    using part over again is ok as long as it's rationalized

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE-RO View Post
    I really don't mind too much. After all if it bothered me that much how could I be so passionate about the vintage figs? And of them, the First couple waves are by far the best.
    Even when I was young it was obvious there they reused most of the basic body molds, BUT it was the character designs, colours, weapons and accessories that made them so appealing!
    and because we were kids. I love the vintage figs too, and we already enjoy the commemorative series. This line MOTUC, is for collectors, not kids.

I'm all for it right now. As long as they do it here, the more money Mattel saves for later on, when newer figures based on later characters might truly need new parts.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior orionpaximusprime's Avatar
    I voted "positive" but not for nostalgia reasons. Given that this is a fan based line, every penny that Mattel can save and still deliver a quality product is okay in my book. Plus it means less time in the development stage so more figures sooner.

Heroic Warrior
    my philosophy is that Man-at-arms was always a repaint of He-man, so why should we expect better now?

When I first saw 200x MAAs I was a little disapointed because I didn't think it looked enough like the "real" MAA Same with the rest, They all have hands, feet and furry pants.... So what. That's what the character is SUPPOSED to have! Spandex with snap on armor.

It may be NICE to have fully individual figures.... But I'm not going to be morally offended because they don't. As long as each character looks like they are supposed to look like.... I'm happy.

If Man-E-Faces or Ram Man show up with He-man's body.... THEN I'll get upset

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    my philosophy is that Man-at-arms was always a repaint of He-man, so why should we expect better now?
    For $25, some people don't want the limitations of the 80's line. In 200X, almost every character was unique. Since we are back to parts reuse, any common sense individuality is now gone. Now a crab man, an insect man and a lizard man have the same legs.

When I first saw 200x MAAs I was a little disapointed because I didn't think it looked enough like the "real" MAA Same with the rest, They all have hands, feet and furry pants.... So what. That's what the character is SUPPOSED to have! Spandex with snap on armor.
    And some would say that was silly. A man who is armored is wearing spandex? 200X fixed alot of the "silliness" from the original line when they were stuck with the exact same parts.

It may be NICE to have fully individual figures.... But I'm not going to be morally offended because they don't. As long as each character looks like they are supposed to look like.... I'm happy.

If Man-E-Faces or Ram Man show up with He-man's body.... THEN I'll get upset
    So what's supposed to look like mean? Originally? Like Teela being blonde? MAA having NO moustache? Or maybe some designs that transcended Mattel's original limitations.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

So what's supposed to look like mean? Originally? Like Teela being blonde? MAA having NO moustache? Or maybe some designs that transcended Mattel's original limitations.
    To me some kind of combination of the original toys and Filmation. teela was never "REALLY" Blond..... She showed up that way in a mini comic, but there was never a toy that showed that. Personally I want a mustached MAA, but I wouldn't really be upset if they didn't go that route. MAA had green skin in Filmation and the original toys, that's what I want to see again. 200x was fun for what it was, but it really is a footnote in the long history of MOTU. I never really considered it the "REAL" MOTU story. No more than all the relaunches of Transformers dilutes the original stories/designs.

200x was a reimaging of the MOTU. the problem with that is that there is no guarantee that it will be any good or that people will like it.

Like I said I did not like cyborg MAA (of course at the time I didn't know that gun came OFF his hand.... It looked pretty attached) and I HATED the new He-man. The fact that I didn't like the new He-man put a damper on the whole series for me.

With the classics they come right out and say that these are nostalgic and for the Adult collector. To me that means the 80's and since we've just SEEN what they do with the reimagining, I'm quite happy with seeing the toys that I loved with new improved posability and something that takes me back to my childhood. That is what I want. I'll never forget the way my heart sped up the first time I saw that Awesome new He-man proto figures.

As far as I'm concerned, That is what they advertised and I don't expect anything more from them. They came right out and said "we can't afford individual sculpts, its reused parts or nothing" I would rather have what I can get. If they want to make minor tweaks that add to the character (like Merman gills or tridents) Awesome... but I won't be upset if they don't. i'm paying for an awesome poseable He-man, not someone who kind of looks like he may be related to He-man