Thread: Paypal payment change

Paypal payment change

Sending a payment today I noticed you now have two options for the money sent

for services or goods, they pay the fees

for friends or family, you pay the fees if using certain methods to pay for the items.

I hadn't seen this posted yet, and I noticed this today I figured you guy might want to know the changes for when dealing with transactions here on the .org and elsewhere.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    It's been like that for me for several months now.

However, I did notice a huge change in international shipping on ebay. US sellers can now ship their international packages to a US hub, and then ebay takes over. I don't fully understand all of the details, so I personally won't be doing this until I see how well it works.
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

Probably a slow roll over then, last week I had the ability to send as gift and all the other options still.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    So no equivalent of the "gift" option that results in no fee exists anymore? There is no way for me to send a friend or family member money from my bank account via Paypal and avoid fees being taken out some way, somehow?

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    So no equivalent of the "gift" option that results in no fee exists anymore? There is no way for me to send a friend or family member money from my bank account via Paypal and avoid fees being taken out some way, somehow?
    It is free if you use paypal balance or $0.45 if you use credit card.
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

It will charge you the fee if you your paypal is attached to a credit or debit card. It it's attached to a bank account and you do send money to friend or family it will waive the fee.

They're doing this to lessen the number of complaints, scams and refunds they have to do. Kinda sucks you get big fees if you don't put money into your PayPal balance, but them's the breaks I guess....

Eh, let 'em do what they want. I'm about done with Ebay anyway. I'm not listing any more items. I'm tired of dealing with corrupt organizations.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm about done with Useless Tube too. I've never seen such slow streaming or so many scripting bugs...

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    It will charge you the fee if you your paypal is attached to a credit or debit card. It it's attached to a bank account and you do send money to friend or family it will waive the fee.
    Isn't that how the gift option worked in the first place?

Yeah, it's called a card with cash or a check in it, which was done for decades upon decades before the invention of the PC and the internet, let alone paypal.
    Last edited by Uncle Montork; March 26, 2013 at 10:03pm.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Isn't that how the gift option worked in the first place?
    Yes, really the change is a drastic change it's a change for simplification purposes. But considering many will say send 'paypal as a gift' would technically be an antiquated statement now. It would be send payment as a friend.

Does anybody know if some new sales tax regulations have gone into effect? I just tried to buy a cyberverse figure on Ebay, and it tried to charge me sales tax. I passed, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Montork View Post
    Yeah, it's called a card with cash or a check in it, which was done for decades upon decades before the invention of the PC and the internet, let alone paypal.
    Paypal has come in handy for me in the past with the gift option (noe friends and family option). I've helped out people that I know at times with ordering Matty Collector items and other collectibles that they are looking for (with the intent being that they just reimburse me for it), often times with me putting these things on my credit card. If for some reason it's going to be a while before we can meet up due to scheduling conflicts, they can send money via Paypal using the gift option since this isn't a traditional 'sales transaction'. This way I can just pay my credit card bill off right away and all is well. This is much faster and doesn't require paying fot postage, waiting for the mail, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Does anybody know if some new sales tax regulations have gone into effect? I just tried to buy a cyberverse figure on Ebay, and it tried to charge me sales tax. I passed, of course.
    It's hard to say for sure as they are gradually trying to change and update tax laws all of the time to get more sales tax from online purchases. This tends to vary from state to state.

That being said, typically if a merchant is shipping an item to someone who lives in a state where said merchant has a physical presence (whether it be a store, warehouse, office, etc.), typically tax is charged. But there could be other reasons for it.

State and county governments have lost money from people going online more and more for their purchases. While it is convenient and helps us on our pocket book, it also means in many cases public safety, road ways, and other state funded programs aren't getting the money put into them like they should.

Not turning this into a political thread, or anything just stating an issue.

But yeah if the ebayer has an actual store they are probably going to have to charge sales tax based on state. Many .orgers got sales tax charges for their recent matty purchases, it is typically based on your local state goverment.

State and county governments have lost money from people going online more and more for their purchases. While it is convenient and helps us on our pocket book, it also means in many cases public safety, road ways, and other state funded programs aren't getting the money put into them like they should.

Not turning this into a political thread, or anything just stating an issue.
    [/quote]

My problem with it is it results in multiple taxation of the same item. If I buy a cyberverse figure at walmart, I am paying sales tax on it. If I decide I do not want it anymore and sell it to you, it should not be taxed a second time when you buy it from me. It isn't so much a question of whether there should be an Internet sales tax as it is a question of whether used items should be taxed when sold. I don't expect to pay sales tax when I buy something at a yard sale. The original buyer paid the tax and the manufacturer paid production-related taxes while producing it.
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; March 29, 2013 at 11:42am.

My problem with it is it results in multiple taxation of the same item. If I buy a cyberverse figure at walmart, I am paying sales tax on it. If I decide I do not want it anymore and sell it to you, it should not be taxed a second time when you buy it from me. It isn't so much a question of whether there should be an Internet sales tax as it is a question of whether used items should be taxed when sold. I don't expect to pay sales tax when I buy something at a yard sale. The original buyer paid the tax and the manufacturer paid production-related taxes while producing it.[/QUOTE]

I agree, not sure what the situation was with the item you bought. IT could be the ebayer has a store and is also using ebay as a means of selling stuff, with ebay that seems like it could be tricky.

I agree, not sure what the situation was with the item you bought. IT could be the ebayer has a store and is also using ebay as a means of selling stuff, with ebay that seems like it could be tricky.

Yeah, I didn't buy it because I don't know either. I would have to ask him where he got it--which sounds like more trouble than it is worth for a $10 figure, heh. I'll just wait until I find one at retail.

And the tax really doesn't work for action figures. They should be exempt. They definitely are not cheaper most of the time. Buying a new figure on ebay is a last resort for me--mainly due to the shipping.