View Poll Results: Do You Consider Unproduced Official Media as Canon?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 67.35%
  • No

16 32.65%

Thread: Do You Consider Unproduced Official Media as Canon?

Do You Consider Unproduced Official Media as Canon?

As I've done more and more research into MOTU canon and lore, there's a few interesting anomalies that seem curious to me. While all official media can be referenced as canon source material, what about the planned stuff that didn't get made? As new unmade material becomes known by the creators and writers of the toys and shows, it seems that this new stuff is sometimes accepted as official canon by some fans. Here are some examples:

Vintage Eldor, Powers of Grayskull, and Keldor: I forget if there was anything explained about Eldor's bio or what the last two POG mini-comics were supposed to reveal. I vaguely recall some references that Keldor was meant to be the secret identity of Skeletor, though, and this was later used in the 200X series.

The Son of He-Man: This show never got off the ground but the series bible described a lot of new ideas. Dare, King Adam, Queen Teela, Kay-La, Craven, Fork-Lift, Air-Bag, Slob-Boar, Missile-Toe, Ever-Mean, Bug-Eye, Odar, Tongue-Lasher, and Saw-Tooth were all new concepts that probably would've been long forgotten but MOTUC recently created a new faction for this lost era.

New Adventures, Season 2: Jack Olesker has been gracious enough to participate here and gives us a lot of background insight into things that were being planned for this short-lived show. Most interesting of which were the return to Eternia, Drissi and Adam's romantic involvement, as well as the one between Skeletor and Crita.

200X, Season 3: This one seems to be the most widely accepted of the lost canons. While the return of Hordak and the Evil Horde, along with the introduction of She-Ra and Etheria, would've been cool, the biggest revelation for me was that Fisto was intended to be Teela's father. I choose to ignore this storyline but there are a few fans who feel that it should be acknowledged.

So, do you acknowledge these unproduced ideas as canon or do you consider them more like company fan-fic or prototype material that was left on the cutting board?

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    It depends on whether the concept was approved or produced. For example, I would consider The Powers of Grayskull to be canon because it was approved and some of its elements were produced; but I would not consider He-Ro: Son of He-Man to be canon because the concept was ultimately rejected; and I would not consider the concepts for season two of the New Adventures of He-Man and season three of Masters of the Universe (2002) to be canon because they were not approved, nor were they likely to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    It depends on whether the concept was approved or produced. For example, I would consider The Powers of Grayskull to be canon because it was approved and some of its elements were produced; but I would not consider He-Ro: Son of He-Man to be canon because the concept was ultimately rejected; and I would not consider the concepts for season two of the New Adventures of He-Man and season three of Masters of the Universe (2002) to be canon because they were not approved, nor were they likely to be.
    This would be my thoughts as well. I'm sure Geogre Lucas had many drafts of Star Wars before the final scripts, but unless it made it to film either as included or cut footage, I would not consider it at all. It's like a house on a blueprint, it isn't a real house unless you build it first.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Yes I do and want it,made
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    100% agree!

Snappy Threader
    Yes I do. I enjoy all forms of media out there, produced and unproduced (at least what we know of the unproduced). Sure, Son of He-Man is a bit off in my opinion, but to be fair, we never saw the potential or the storylines really developed. If we can have Powers of Grayskull for the past, no reason we can't have Son of He-Man for the future...in my opinion.

I take what I like from all eras and media, including the unproduced and make my own perfect canon.

Well, all that is in the Bio-Canon, so yes!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Vintage Eldor, Powers of Grayskull, and Keldor: YES. These characters and story elements were actually part of the cannon and being produced.

The Son of He-Man: ABSOLUTELY NOT! This was a cartoon pitch that never got approved, never went into production, and never had prototypes.

New Adventures, Season 2: NO. The story arc for Season 2 may have been intended, but never got produced.

200X, Season 3: NO. The story arc for Season 3 may have been intended, but never got produced.

Can't judge them if we can't see/read them. Would have loved to see MYP Season 3.

yes in as much as ive always thought about any franchise cannon wise the way motuc bios are written: everything i discover that i like from any era or source is cannon. if i like it its in. hence why i love motuc story so much.

this being said i leave alot out too..as sorceress and duncan are biological parents of teela. ect

but like the Hoarder character design exists in my mind. what i like i fit in and what i dont think works i ignore.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I do. I love the direction of 200x & think of the unofficial season 3 canon. well because it had a direction. I consider the time of Son of He-Man canon. maybe not season two of NA just because season one ended at a good place.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    This would be my thoughts as well. I'm sure Geogre Lucas had many drafts of Star Wars before the final scripts, but unless it made it to film either as included or cut footage, I would not consider it at all. It's like a house on a blueprint, it isn't a real house unless you build it first.
    Agree.

This is an excellent simile.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Sure, I never gave it much thought.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE