Thread: He-man director blown away by script!

Hybrid View

He-man director blown away by script!

In case you may have missed this:

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/10/18/...away-by-script

Heroic Warrior
    I know I shouldn't. but I can't help but get a little bit excited when I hear talk like that. I'm still going to walk into a Masters movie with low expectations.....we are talking about Hollywood after all

*sigh*

There are a few things I heard in that video that make me think this film is going to be another Hollywood mess

"fresh unexpected approach" = the script writer didn't read the source material so he just made stuff up....something you absolutely cannot do when the property is so well fleshed out already

"...works to a contemporary audience" = it's going to be too much CG overload. And while some of you may say "duh"...I personally think that CG overload is the main thing wrong with cinema these days. Practical effects are the key to a good Masters film. Maybe if they got WETA to do the effects it would work better.

"...play with design, play with the characters" = They are going to redesign the most beloved characters yet again....something else that doesn't need to be done. So help me, if they mess up Trap-Jaw and Man-E-Faces, I will be furious.

Oh well, I already wasn't expecting much....maybe they will surprise me.

...ugh.... so is anyone else now expecting the big NYTF announcement to not be classics related at all now?
    I honestly keep expecting it now to instead be some kind of movie announcement now... I actually hope I am wrong to be honest... I would much rather see a Filmation sub announced than a "the movie is going into production" kind of announcement at NYTF to be honest after reading this...

A fan, not a nostalgic
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton72 View Post
    *sigh*

There are a few things I heard in that video that make me think this film is going to be another Hollywood mess

"fresh unexpected approach" = the script writer didn't read the source material so he just made stuff up....something you absolutely cannot do when the property is so well fleshed out already

"...works to a contemporary audience" = it's going to be too much CG overload. And while some of you may say "duh"...I personally think that CG overload is the main thing wrong with cinema these days. Practical effects are the key to a good Masters film. Maybe if they got WETA to do the effects it would work better.

"...play with design, play with the characters" = They are going to redesign the most beloved characters yet again....something else that doesn't need to be done. So help me, if they mess up Trap-Jaw and Man-E-Faces, I will be furious.

Oh well, I already wasn't expecting much....maybe they will surprise me.
    Sounds like the difference between the 1960s Batman TV series and the Christopher Nolan movies.

Heroic Warrior
    If this guy directs it, I'll refuse to see it. He's an absolute zero. A film school brat and butt kissing Hollywood "yes man" with no artistic merit whatsoever. The script could be total garbage, but he's the kind of guy who'll sit there and say "WOW, I'm blown away!".

Gary Goddard actually cared about the production and did what I believe is the best he could, despite the budget restrictions and lack of creative control thanks to Mattel. He was an inspired enough guy to inject influences from Jack Kirby. He actually wanted to create something instead of something to please studio executives and earn him a couple of million.

Who really wants a new movie at this point? It will all be about pushing out a turd and making those first week box office dollars before it's ripped to shreds by critics and fans, then into the bargain bin at Wal-Mart for $5.00. Not to mention try and sell as many 7-Eleven Slurpee cups and toys.
    Last edited by StrikeoftheBeast; March 3, 2013 at 09:58am.

Yay to the Slurpee cups!!!!!!!!
    "I SHALL WARN YOU BUT ONCE, EVIL ONE--SPEAK TO ME THE TRUTH 'ERE MY BATTLE AXE FINDS A PLACE TO REST 'TWIXT YOUR FOWL EYES!" -He-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeoftheBeast View Post
    If this guy directs it, I'll refuse to see it. He's an absolute zero. A film school brat and butt kissing Hollywood "yes man" with no artistic merit whatsoever. The script could be total garbage, but he's the kind of guy who'll sit there and say "WOW, I'm blown away!".

Gary Goddard actually cared about the production and did what I believe is the best he could, despite the budget restrictions and lack of creative control thanks to Mattel. He was an inspired enough guy to inject influences from Jack Kirby. He actually wanted to create something instead of something to please studio executives and earn him a couple of million.

Who really wants a new movie at this point? It will all be about pushing out a turd and making those first week box office dollars before it's ripped to shreds by critics and fans, then into the bargain bin at Wal-Mart for $5.00. Not to mention try and sell as many 7-Eleven Slurpee cups and toys.
    You sound very bitter. Reading his bio it seems that he got to where is by hard work, talent and perseverance. Hardly a “Film School brat”, IMO, where people most often go off to stack shelves in a super market for a living. I really have no idea why your post should stink so badly of pure anger (almost border lining on hate) and cynicism. You have no reason whatsoever to feel that way in such early and precarious days. Guess some people just have to make posts like that for the sake of it. I wasn't going to rise to the occasion, but your fanboy burthurt post riled me. I'm sure that was the intention.
    Last edited by Krueger; March 3, 2013 at 01:52pm.

A fan, not a nostalgic

You're a nostalgic. You already hate it. You wish you could forbid everyone from watching it. Good. That means it's gonna be awesome. Don't worry though, I have something that'll cheer you up:
    Please embed all youtube videos. Thank you!
    Have fun being a MOTU hater. Meanwhile, MOTU fans will be eager to see the movie.
    Last edited by Devil Master; March 3, 2013 at 01:52pm.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    If this guy directs it, I'll refuse to see it. He's an absolute zero.... and earn him a couple of million.

Who really wants a new movie at this point? ..and toys.
    I want a movie. (but if its stupid like Bay-Formers then I'll just get my copy from the pirates)

,, "Pour oh pour the pirate sherry, as we sail this bounding main, and we drunk it down our merry, so we fill it up again" ..Gilbert & Sulivan

Heroic Warrior
    Sounds like the script is well written
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Isn't this news story from October?
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Blown away huh? So you could say the script was DA BOMB
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    Isn't this news story from October?
    Yes. I think it was me who posted it. People should really check things out before they make threads.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I'm not expecting it to be good. I expect an unimaginative quick cash in movie. lots of special effects & design. very little story & rich characters. mostly visuals to sell toys & the movie. very little to no time on going into characters or a deep well made story. I'm expecting it to be all Hollywood. I expect it to be a lot like GI Joe the movie.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    I'm not expecting it to be good. I expect an unimaginative quick cash in movie. lots of special effects & design. very little story & rich characters. mostly visuals to sell toys & the movie. very little to no time on going into characters or a deep well made story. I'm expecting it to be all Hollywood. I expect it to be a lot like GI Joe the movie.
    Yet you will still get people who say that both the GI Joe/Bayformers movies were indeed good movies. Even those who agree these movies were awful from creative viewpoint, their financial success was what the brands needed. There are lots of things in this world that make obscene amounts of money, doesn't make them in any way 'good'.

We all want different things from this movie, and we can speculate until we are sick. Let's just wait and see what we get.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; January 23, 2013 at 02:23am.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    Yet you will still get people who say that both the GI Joe/Bayformers movies were indeed good movies.
    Good movies?

they were GREAT movies

I LOVE those movies.

If the MOTU movie was anything close to as awesome as those movies I would be so happy

and no that was not sarcasm
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Warrior undeadplastic2711's Avatar
    There will never be a filmation sub, I don't know why people have any hope for one
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by undeadplastic2711 View Post
    There will never be a filmation sub, I don't know why people have any hope for one
    Personaly I dont think a typical movie would ever do our beloved concept of MOTU any justice simpley because how then will the figures look like.thay will be repersentations of the actors playing the roles in the movie.

Witch will ruin it for me but that just my opinion maybe if we got a nice Computer generated cartoon ill be all for it because at least then youd know we would get proper repersentation of each personallity from our much loved MOTU.
    That being said I will not be buying movie style MOTU figures. most likely I wont least.

Huh?

well...looks like there was hope.