Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: He-man director blown away by script!

He-man director blown away by script!

In case you may have missed this:

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/10/18/...away-by-script

Heroic Warrior
    I know I shouldn't. but I can't help but get a little bit excited when I hear talk like that. I'm still going to walk into a Masters movie with low expectations.....we are talking about Hollywood after all

*sigh*

There are a few things I heard in that video that make me think this film is going to be another Hollywood mess

"fresh unexpected approach" = the script writer didn't read the source material so he just made stuff up....something you absolutely cannot do when the property is so well fleshed out already

"...works to a contemporary audience" = it's going to be too much CG overload. And while some of you may say "duh"...I personally think that CG overload is the main thing wrong with cinema these days. Practical effects are the key to a good Masters film. Maybe if they got WETA to do the effects it would work better.

"...play with design, play with the characters" = They are going to redesign the most beloved characters yet again....something else that doesn't need to be done. So help me, if they mess up Trap-Jaw and Man-E-Faces, I will be furious.

Oh well, I already wasn't expecting much....maybe they will surprise me.

...ugh.... so is anyone else now expecting the big NYTF announcement to not be classics related at all now?
    I honestly keep expecting it now to instead be some kind of movie announcement now... I actually hope I am wrong to be honest... I would much rather see a Filmation sub announced than a "the movie is going into production" kind of announcement at NYTF to be honest after reading this...

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Isn't this news story from October?
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Blown away huh? So you could say the script was DA BOMB
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    Isn't this news story from October?
    Yes. I think it was me who posted it. People should really check things out before they make threads.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I'm not expecting it to be good. I expect an unimaginative quick cash in movie. lots of special effects & design. very little story & rich characters. mostly visuals to sell toys & the movie. very little to no time on going into characters or a deep well made story. I'm expecting it to be all Hollywood. I expect it to be a lot like GI Joe the movie.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    I'm not expecting it to be good. I expect an unimaginative quick cash in movie. lots of special effects & design. very little story & rich characters. mostly visuals to sell toys & the movie. very little to no time on going into characters or a deep well made story. I'm expecting it to be all Hollywood. I expect it to be a lot like GI Joe the movie.
    Yet you will still get people who say that both the GI Joe/Bayformers movies were indeed good movies. Even those who agree these movies were awful from creative viewpoint, their financial success was what the brands needed. There are lots of things in this world that make obscene amounts of money, doesn't make them in any way 'good'.

We all want different things from this movie, and we can speculate until we are sick. Let's just wait and see what we get.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; January 23, 2013 at 02:23am.

Heroic Warrior undeadplastic2711's Avatar
    There will never be a filmation sub, I don't know why people have any hope for one
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by undeadplastic2711 View Post
    There will never be a filmation sub, I don't know why people have any hope for one
    Personaly I dont think a typical movie would ever do our beloved concept of MOTU any justice simpley because how then will the figures look like.thay will be repersentations of the actors playing the roles in the movie.

Witch will ruin it for me but that just my opinion maybe if we got a nice Computer generated cartoon ill be all for it because at least then youd know we would get proper repersentation of each personallity from our much loved MOTU.
    That being said I will not be buying movie style MOTU figures. most likely I wont least.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    Yet you will still get people who say that both the GI Joe/Bayformers movies were indeed good movies.
    Good movies?

they were GREAT movies

I LOVE those movies.

If the MOTU movie was anything close to as awesome as those movies I would be so happy

and no that was not sarcasm
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

As a guy that loves Sunbow G.I.Joe & Transformers, movies were spectacular (Bayformers more obviously) and great entertainment, but there were not good (TF 3 maybe, but it took 2 movies to realize what can be done and still a lot of Shia on screen time screaming like a 4 years hysterical girl)

I don't know, as refreshed approach, I liked the script that begins with the mad God creating the sword of light and then the sword of darkness, with then GraySkull (?) fighting the Horde and winning at the cost of his life. The swords are guarded and hidden by a council with Zodak & Evil Lynn among his members . Later Keldor finds the sword of darkness which transforms him into Skeletor at the bare touch, invades the palace, kills Randor and Adam escapaes to be find by Zodak who trains him.
    I thought that script could have worked on screen
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Whatever the movie is about, deviations from the mythology is to be expected.

Given his body of work, I'm not terribly optimistic

Silent Beats (2001)
    When the Kids Are Away (2002)
    Step Up 2: The Streets (2008)
    Step Up 3D (2010)
    The Legion of Extraordinary Dancers (2010–2011)
    Justin Bieber: Never Say Never (2011)[5]
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013)
    Masters of the Universe (2015)
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Huh?

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Given his body of work, I'm not terribly optimistic

Silent Beats (2001)
    When the Kids Are Away (2002)
    Step Up 2: The Streets (2008)
    Step Up 3D (2010)
    The Legion of Extraordinary Dancers (2010–2011)
    Justin Bieber: Never Say Never (2011)[5]
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013)
    Masters of the Universe (2015)
    Actually, the fact that he isn't a big time director is a good thing. The pattern with this type of movie is that the smaller directors tend to make the better movies. Compare Joss Whedon's product in Avengers to the mess hollywood darling Ang Lee put together with the first Hulk movie.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    so roughly translated its dark gritty realistic you know the usual crap studio spout when they dont want to use the source material

again sorry to sound negative, but till its shooting this movie remains a pipe dream
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Actually, the fact that he isn't a big time director is a good thing. The pattern with this type of movie is that the smaller directors tend to make the better movies. Compare Joss Whedon's product in Avengers to the mess hollywood darling Ang Lee put together with the first Hulk movie.
    But Joss Whedon had a track record directing high quality TV programs like Buffy and Firefly.

Admittedly I haven't seen Step Up 2: The Streets or Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, but I'm skeptical.
    By the ancients!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    But Joss Whedon had a track record directing high quality TV programs like Buffy and Firefly.

Admittedly I haven't seen Step Up 2: The Streets or Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, but I'm skeptical.
    Step Up 2: The Streets taught me to man up. It made me ice cold when the poo hits the fan.

But then, Justin Bieber: Never Say Never thawed my ice cold heart. Taught me to love again.

I'm not saying that he's a great director, i'm just sayin.....

Some people don't understand, though. It is plain wrong to judge a film director on what genres they have dealt with in the past. The truth is a lot of director’s start out directing music videos. A lot. The Step Up films are pretty just elongated music videos. Also, choreography and action go hand in hand. Has anyone seen the extended trailer for GI Joe that was just released? It’s a got chunks of a sequence involving ninjas fighting and swinging in the mountains. It’s breathtaking. It truly looks amazing. Jon Chu is clearly very good with action. In fact, he's made it clear that it was his background in dance that helped him get the GI Joe job. TBH, we shouldn't even be mentioning the Step Up films. Let's see what GI Joe is like as a film once it’s released. I think that one is the real test of his potential with MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Step Up 2: The Streets taught me to man up. It made me ice cold when the poo hits the fan.

But then, Justin Bieber: Never Say Never thawed my ice cold heart. Taught me to love again.

I'm not saying that he's a great director, i'm just sayin.....
    IRL Lulz

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Some people don't understand, though. It is plain wrong to judge a film director on what genres they have dealt with in the past. The truth is a lot of director’s start out directing music videos. A lot. The Step Up films are pretty just elongated music videos. Also, choreography and action go hand in hand. Has anyone seen the extended trailer for GI Joe that was just released? It’s a got chunks of a sequence involving ninjas fighting and swinging in the mountains. It’s breathtaking. It truly looks amazing. Jon Chu is clearly very good with action. In fact, he's made it clear that it was his background in dance that helped him get the GI Joe job. TBH, we shouldn't even be mentioning the Step Up films. Let's see what GI Joe is like as a film once it’s released. I think that one is the real test of his potential with MOTU.
    Fair enough. The test will be GI Joe. If that's decent I guess there's hope for MOTU
    Last edited by Lich Leech; January 25, 2013 at 03:39pm.
    By the ancients!!!

I love this quote, "I was never impressed by gi joe nor the step up movies, saying this guy was blown away by the script is like a 5 year old being blown away by the quality of his pudding snack in his lunch box." ha
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

well...looks like there was hope.

A fan, not a nostalgic
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton72 View Post
    *sigh*

There are a few things I heard in that video that make me think this film is going to be another Hollywood mess

"fresh unexpected approach" = the script writer didn't read the source material so he just made stuff up....something you absolutely cannot do when the property is so well fleshed out already

"...works to a contemporary audience" = it's going to be too much CG overload. And while some of you may say "duh"...I personally think that CG overload is the main thing wrong with cinema these days. Practical effects are the key to a good Masters film. Maybe if they got WETA to do the effects it would work better.

"...play with design, play with the characters" = They are going to redesign the most beloved characters yet again....something else that doesn't need to be done. So help me, if they mess up Trap-Jaw and Man-E-Faces, I will be furious.

Oh well, I already wasn't expecting much....maybe they will surprise me.
    Sounds like the difference between the 1960s Batman TV series and the Christopher Nolan movies.