Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: He-man director blown away by script!

Heroic Warrior
    If this guy directs it, I'll refuse to see it. He's an absolute zero. A film school brat and butt kissing Hollywood "yes man" with no artistic merit whatsoever. The script could be total garbage, but he's the kind of guy who'll sit there and say "WOW, I'm blown away!".

Gary Goddard actually cared about the production and did what I believe is the best he could, despite the budget restrictions and lack of creative control thanks to Mattel. He was an inspired enough guy to inject influences from Jack Kirby. He actually wanted to create something instead of something to please studio executives and earn him a couple of million.

Who really wants a new movie at this point? It will all be about pushing out a turd and making those first week box office dollars before it's ripped to shreds by critics and fans, then into the bargain bin at Wal-Mart for $5.00. Not to mention try and sell as many 7-Eleven Slurpee cups and toys.
    Last edited by StrikeoftheBeast; March 3, 2013 at 09:58am.

Yay to the Slurpee cups!!!!!!!!
    "I SHALL WARN YOU BUT ONCE, EVIL ONE--SPEAK TO ME THE TRUTH 'ERE MY BATTLE AXE FINDS A PLACE TO REST 'TWIXT YOUR FOWL EYES!" -He-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeoftheBeast View Post
    If this guy directs it, I'll refuse to see it. He's an absolute zero. A film school brat and butt kissing Hollywood "yes man" with no artistic merit whatsoever. The script could be total garbage, but he's the kind of guy who'll sit there and say "WOW, I'm blown away!".

Gary Goddard actually cared about the production and did what I believe is the best he could, despite the budget restrictions and lack of creative control thanks to Mattel. He was an inspired enough guy to inject influences from Jack Kirby. He actually wanted to create something instead of something to please studio executives and earn him a couple of million.

Who really wants a new movie at this point? It will all be about pushing out a turd and making those first week box office dollars before it's ripped to shreds by critics and fans, then into the bargain bin at Wal-Mart for $5.00. Not to mention try and sell as many 7-Eleven Slurpee cups and toys.
    You sound very bitter. Reading his bio it seems that he got to where is by hard work, talent and perseverance. Hardly a “Film School brat”, IMO, where people most often go off to stack shelves in a super market for a living. I really have no idea why your post should stink so badly of pure anger (almost border lining on hate) and cynicism. You have no reason whatsoever to feel that way in such early and precarious days. Guess some people just have to make posts like that for the sake of it. I wasn't going to rise to the occasion, but your fanboy burthurt post riled me. I'm sure that was the intention.
    Last edited by Krueger; March 3, 2013 at 01:52pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    You sound very bitter. Reading his bio it seems that he got to where is by hard work, talent and perseverance. Hardly a “Film School brat”, IMO, where people most often go off to stack shelves in a super market for a living. I really have no idea why your post should stink so badly of pure anger (almost border lining on hate) and cynicism. You have no reason whatsoever to feel that way in such early and precarious days. Guess some people just have to make posts like that for the sake of it. I wasn't going to rise to the occasion, but you're fanboy burthurt post riled me. I'm sure that was the intention.
    Guy directed a Justin Bieber movie, enough said.

Going to film school and getting signed to an agency based on a student short isn't what I'd call making it though hard work, talent and perseverance. Anyone with rich parents and who makes product and not art can do that. I doubt this guy ever had to live off baloney in order to pay his cast and crew. Peter Jackson now. While I do not like his Hollywood efforts, starved for years while making independent films like Bad Taste.

Butthurt Fanboy? Hardly. I'd say that best describes the one who gets "riled" up over the opinion of another. Film snob, maybe. Which is why I have no use for modern Hollywood products that don't set out to be anything other than trash made for a quick opening day buck (like pretty much everything Mr. Chu has produced).

A fan, not a nostalgic

You're a nostalgic. You already hate it. You wish you could forbid everyone from watching it. Good. That means it's gonna be awesome. Don't worry though, I have something that'll cheer you up:
    Please embed all youtube videos. Thank you!
    Have fun being a MOTU hater. Meanwhile, MOTU fans will be eager to see the movie.
    Last edited by Devil Master; March 3, 2013 at 01:52pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Wrong. I know I couldn't stop people from seeing it, even if I wanted to. America has an uncanny desire to demand more junk they can give their money for.

I'm sorry if comparing it to begging to be raped is harsh, but that's the vibe I get from it all. But hey, it's OK by me.

See, I don't live in a fantasy world where subjective opinions don't exist and everyone happily accepts whatever is placed in front of them. If you do, I apologize for bursting that little bubble.

Hey, maybe Justin Bieber can star as Prince Adam or something. Then we can have a cool hit song tie-in! Like a nice little over produced pop song about He-Man. But don't worry. Those of us with good taste will just endure the torture for sake of not wanting to upset anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, now that is total bull crap. So unless you want to see a new movie and will be happy as long as anyone directs, you're not a true MOTU fan? A lot of Hardcore fans HATED the 1987 movie. Sit here now and say they aren't real fans. Some hardcore fans even hate the Filmation cartoon.

Sorry to slap you into reality, but being a fan doesn't mean having zero standards and being a fool that buys anything that bears the logo.

The fact is, I am a fan and have been for close to 30 years now. Which is why I really hate to see it dragged through the mud by talentless hacks so some Hollywood creeps can make some bucks.

A fan, not a nostalgic
    I never said anything about "true fans", I hate that expression wholeheartedly. I'm simply stating the obvious that you are denying: if you like something, you're a fan; if you hate it, you're a hater. Straightforward. The truth is that you hate this movie already because it will be different from the Filmation cartoon, and because it will have lots of cool CGI effects instead of being based on limited animation like the Filmation cartoon. You believe that the Filmation cartoon is the pinnacle of everything MOTU and you hate with a passion anything that differs from it. Am I right, yes or yes?
    Also, why are you so obsessed about rape? How many times were you raped?
    Last edited by Devil Master; March 3, 2013 at 02:10pm.

Heroic Warrior
    By implying I was a MOTU hater, was basically saying I wasn't a fan. When if you had the ability to read, would see I never had an issue with MOTU (and I fully understand that MOTU is largely a commercial property and not a work of art), but with a new movie, or at least one falling into the wrong hands.

I don't see anything in my words that would indicate an obsession with rape. I used it once as a metaphor.

Your little caption there about being a fan and not a nostalgic implies the same.

I'm proud to be a nostalgic. I think the 2000x series and toys were crap. I have no desire to spend my money on paper weights or bobbleheads nor see a new CGI crapfest of a new film and hey, it's very possible that had I not grown up with He-Man, at 31 I'd think the concept was a bit silly. Being nothing more than an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink property consisting of ideas taken from various other sources and thrown together in order to sell toys.

Huhhh. Did I just say that? *Awaits a horde of grown men in cosplay furry underwear and Prince Valiant wigs to charge and crucify me.*

A fan, not a nostalgic
    By implying I was a MOTU hater, was basically saying I wasn't a fan.
    Precisely. You hate it, ergo, you're not a fan. Calling yourself a fan because you feel that you hate it more than anyone else pretty much proves my point.

Your little caption there about being a fan and not a nostalgic implies the same.

I'm proud to be a nostalgic.
    That's like being proud to be a pedophile. Nostalgia kills reason, I'd rather kill nostalgia.
    I think
    No, nostalgics don't do that.

the 2000x series and toys were crap. I have no desire to spend my money on paper weights or bobbleheads nor see a new CGI crapfest of a new film and hey, it's very possible that had I not grown up with He-Man, at 31 I'd think the concept was a bit silly. Being nothing more than an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink property consisting of ideas taken from various other sources and thrown together in order to sell toys

Huhhh. Did I just say that? *Awaits a horde of grown men in cosplay furry underwear and Prince Valiant wigs to charge and crucify me.*.
    And yet you call yourself a fan, while all you do here is bash the franchise. Do a favor to anyone who LIKES this franchise and GTFO.
    Last edited by Devil Master; March 3, 2013 at 02:34pm.

Heroic Warrior
    HAHA.

You know you can actually like something, yet be real about the true nature of it's content. For instance, I like KFC every now and then. I love sinking my teeth into that greasy crap and dunking those biscuits into that gravy it comes with. I like it. Even though I know and fully acknowledge it's bad for my health and the corporate selling it and seducing me into buying it do not give a crap.

The truth is the truth. Like I also like She-Ra too. But the reality is she's based on an old toy of Mattel (Sunspell) and the entire added elements were outwardly stolen from DC's Amethyst. Just like the Zodac's concept was ripped from New Gods' Metron.

Sorry, but as a 31 year old man and not a four year old watching toy commercials, now I can see these elements loud and clear and cannot help but to mock them a bit. But it does not mean I do not appreciate the way it inspired imagination, provided hours of fun as well as the inventiveness of the designers at Mattel who created things we would like, not just buy.

Or should I just say, the nostalgia.

A fan, not a nostalgic
    now I can see these elements loud and clear and cannot help but to mock them a bit. But it does not mean I do not appreciate the way it inspired imagination, provided hours of fun as well as the inventiveness of the designers at Mattel who created things we would like, not just buy.
    Then you should agree that it is illogical to get mad at a movie which will be primarily made to sell new toys, just like the Filmation cartoon. The only difference between the new movie is that now, FX technology has progressed enough to make for really epic scenes and allow writers to really unleash all of their ideas, instead of forcing them to work around technical limitations like they used to do for the Filmation cartoon.

Nostalgia is a double edged sword. It can be great, transporting you to a time and place where the world was much simpler and you were much happier. It can also be poison. It can blind you and completely shut off your mind until there is no bigger picture and everything is just black and white. I try my best to remain balanced.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    If this guy directs it, I'll refuse to see it. He's an absolute zero.... and earn him a couple of million.

Who really wants a new movie at this point? ..and toys.
    I want a movie. (but if its stupid like Bay-Formers then I'll just get my copy from the pirates)

,, "Pour oh pour the pirate sherry, as we sail this bounding main, and we drunk it down our merry, so we fill it up again" ..Gilbert & Sulivan

I hope its funny. Retaliation comes out in a couple of weeks so that will bring some fore sight to what John Chu is capable of. I think we need to give the people who are in charge of MOTU now a break. Everything so far has been good. The 200x show was amazing, the toys were amazing, the new DC comic is pretty fab so far MOTUC is all I can think about lately. I think the He-men are in good hands. I think we can all take a couple of breaths sometimes. : )

Also to add insult to injury the plastic summer movie slurpy cup has been extinct for two summers now. What a bummer. I would totally have a Teela cup in 3-D hopefully.

A fan, not a nostalgic
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    I want a movie. (but if its stupid like Bay-Formers then I'll just get my copy from the pirates)
    I hope it's stupid like Bayformers (where by "stupid" I mean "awesome"). If it is, I'm gonna watch it in 3D and then buy a 3D Blu-Ray. I also hope there's a video game tie-in, in 3D too.
    Last edited by Devil Master; March 4, 2013 at 05:08pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Master View Post
    I hope it's stupid like Bayformers (where by "stupid" I mean "awesome").
    I wouldn’t go that far. I liked the first film. I genuinely thought it served as a good introduction to the Transformers mythology. The second film suffered from what is commonly referred to as "Sequelitis". The third was an improvement over the second. Regarding MOTU, I want a movie that finally propels MOTU back into the mainstream.

Can somebody name one 'awesome scene' in Bay-formers.

(that is not some mixture of Discovery 'Future Weapons' and 'Americas Funniest Home Videos')

A fan, not a nostalgic

(that is not some mixture of Discovery 'Future Weapons' and 'Americas Funniest Home Videos')
    Oh, I'm sure there are no scenes in the entire trilogy that belong to this category you just made up in order to exclude the entire movies, which is just like requesting "awesome Indiana Jones scenes that are not about archaeology or adventure", or "awesome Harry Potter scenes that are not about magic", or "awesome Star Trek scenes that are not about space".

Anyway, just off the top of my head, here are some scenes that make the movies worth watching. From 1: the arrival of the Transformers, the battle between Bumblebee and Barricade, the final battle between Optimus Prime and Megatron. From 2: the battle in China, the Constructicons assembling Devastator, the sacrifice of Jetfire to power up Optimus Prime. From 3: all scenes on the moon, all scenes at Chernobyl, the opening of the portal, Optimus Prime actually using his trailer for something, Sam killing Dylan, the appearance of Cybertron, the battle in Chicago.
    Mind you, these are just the cool scenes I remember without watching the movies again.
    Last edited by Devil Master; March 5, 2013 at 01:20pm.

..are there any movies you do not like?? Twighlight? Step Up??

A fan, not a nostalgic
    ..are there any movies you do not like?? Twighlight? Step Up??
    I hate Twilight, I don't know what Step Up is but it doesn't sound good, I hate romantic comedies, I hate so-called teen movies that are just a parade of stereotypes (which pretty much means 100% of teen movies), I hate those movies that proclaim to be based on true stories but are in fact just lies that the authors made up to deceive the audience or promote their own agenda, I hate everything by Uwe Boll, I hate Italian movies made after 1980 (except for rare exceptions like Dario Argento's films), I hate musicals, and I hate everything campy.
    Last edited by Devil Master; March 18, 2013 at 02:33pm.

King Paul is right, Bay-formers sucked. From rottentomatoes:
    Transformers (2007): 57%
    Transformers ROTF: 20%
    Transformers DOTM: 36%

Sure they made a lot of money, but that does equate to quality. I'm curious to see how the new Gi Joe movie does both critically and financially. That would be the best Litmus test for John Chu's abilities to handle a MotU movie.

I just hope it avoids all ties to the Filmation series.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I guess it's awesome if you're into shaky cam action scenes so gratuitous that it's impossible to follow what's happening.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

A fan, not a nostalgic
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    From rottentomatoes:
    Transformers (2007): 57%
    Transformers ROTF: 20%
    Transformers DOTM: 36%
    (cut)
    I just hope it avoids all ties to the Filmation series.
    I bet all people who disliked the Transformers trilogy on Rottentomatos would also dislike a MOTU movie unless it ties in with the Filmation series ONLY and could not be distinguished from the 1987 Power Tour.

I actually liked the first transformer movie, didnt mind the second and never saw the third one.

Fact of the matter is you will never please everyone. How did the transformers movies do box office wise? Did they do well?
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Idon't know what Step Up is but it doesn't sound good,
    Well dont tell Chu.

..I hate musicals, and I hate everything campy.
    ,, "Burn the bridge! Bet the store! Baby's coming home no more! Not for the life of me!!"
    ..(sorry I just hate when that blurts out)