Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 111 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 111 Discussion!

Episode 111 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter and "Pixel Dan" Eardley are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode we discuss
    Dan's toy checkout,
    Danielle's birthday,
    Digital River shipping,
    figures without packaging,
    He-Man.org 2012 year end poll results
    and much more!

Intro/Outro info:
    none

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on January 20, 2013
    Runtime: 1 hour, 22 minutes, 42 seconds

Direct link for Episode 111

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Recorded on January 20, 2013
    It's fresh out of the oven!
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

Wow this might be the freshest gooble in years.

I should have the poll results up tomorrow. I'm getting over a week of the flu which screwed me. And I have a Deadpool deadline I gotta knock out this week come hell or high water. Sorry folks!

Listening to the poll results is funner than reading 'em anyways! Feel better!
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

I love finding old Spawn toys. I didn't realize how cool they were at the time, but now when I find them, they have the best random accessories for MOTUC and other toy lines, plus some of them are just awesome sculpts.

The new mini-comics are twenty times more interesting and "MOTU" to me than the DC stuff. Not sure why you guys are so surprised by the voting.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    The new mini-comics are twenty times more interesting and "MOTU" to me than the DC stuff. Not sure why you guys are so surprised by the voting.
    For me, I think I was surprised more by how heavy it was. I'm so conditioned by all the posts I saw disliking the mini-comics that it's a shock when polls sometimes reveal the opposite to be true. Which is good and refreshing! But still can be a surprise.

1) I'm very glad Danielle had such a great birthday.

2) I thought Snake Man-At-Arms was less desirable than Fearless Photog, personally.

3) I actually think Sir Laser Lot looks more like a bootleg figure you'd find in Mexico than Cy-Chop.

4) I'd LOVE more mini-comics, but I'd want them to be like the old ones, where the stories were self contained and focused on a character or two rather than try to tell an epic story over several issues. Also, I'd prefer the stories be handled by actual professional writers; possibly those with comic backgrounds and experience handling storytelling in a sequential format.

5) I also think a Filmation sub would be great. Maybe an Add-On sub can be introduced at NYTF involving 6 figures. If that sells exceptionally well it can be upgraded to a full 12 figure sub (with exclusive) in 2014 and 2015. That would leave Club Eternia free to focus on the vintage brands (MOTU, PoP, and NA), while simultaneously delivering the majority of requested figures in Filmation (32 figures over 3 years!). Ghostbusters, Voltron, and Watchmen will be over with, so why not.

Finally, you scored a great episode, it's been a while, less of those off topic discussions (for the love of Eternia) and more of what RGD should be about... And Dan, please stop recycling the Schwarzenegger joke in every damn cast. Hence; making fun of Val, Danielle or even Eamon would be a lot more entertaining.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

I wonder how many fans' thoughts could be summed up with: "The minicomics suck! And we don't have enough of them!"

I guess, the more of a "hardcore" fan someone is, the higher is the risk that he/she does not like the minicomics. I'm not a big fan of their stories myself, but I love the artwork, and I've heard from a lot of "casual" fans that they're just happy to have new minicomics with cool artworks depicting many characters.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Happy (belated) birthday, Danielle!

I'm really surprised the Digital Comics were the least liked!

The Star Sisters? What can I say? I'm still hanging on to that miniscule bit of hope inside that one day, when we've burned through most or all of the POP characters, the 4H will revisit these gals and give them the spacey, otherworldly look of the classic toy prototypes. (Remember, they're not native to Etheria) Additionally, how cool would it be to have the 4H use their imaginations to come up with a figure for the Celestial Witch?

Anyhow, had the funky-colored versions we got been released in the late 60's as part of another toy line (think Outer Space men), they would totally scream "space". But in the context of POP, to me, they look like they're supposed to blend in with the Whispering Woods with all the pastels, sort of like camouflage.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    Finally, you scored a great episode, it's been a while, less of those off topic discussions (for the love of Eternia) and more of what RGD should be about... And Dan, please stop recycling the Schwarzenegger joke in every damn cast. Hence; making fun of Val, Danielle or even Eamon would be a lot more entertaining.
    Nope. I will make sure that the next episode is nothing but off-topic conversations, and we're ALL going to talk in Arnie voices. And I'm dedicating the episode to you.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

I'm listing to it right now. I'm up to the part where the QC is being addressed. I'm still on 30+ days waiting for my replacement Procrutus. When I call Matty they just tell me to keep waiting.

I'm also waiting on Granamyr. Several weeks on that one.

Matty just doesn't seem interested in customer service what so ever.

I'm worried that I will never get a replacement for either of them. It took me 51 days and nine phone calls to get an issue with my Vykron order resolved. My fear is while I am sitting around waiting for months for my replacements to ship, they will run out of CS stock and just decide to refund me. The headache really takes the fun out of collecting.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Nope. I will make sure that the next episode is nothing but off-topic conversations, and we're ALL going to talk in Arnie voices. And I'm dedicating the episode to you.
    All Arnie, all the time!

So instead of good journey, the next episode should end with "I'll be back."
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    All Arnie, all the time!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

All Arnie, all the time!
    You guys are pure evil, I kneeeew it, it's inevitable!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    You guys are pure evil, I kneeeew it, it's inevitable!
    Come on, D-kosis! You're giving us real bad guys a bad name!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    200X is Absolutely Required! Wooohooo! Although Classics is Vintage inspired, a lot of fans liked the elements that 200X/MYP brought to the table, enhancing old characters and adding onto the world of MOTU. Heck, this might be the reason why Fisto wins all of these 2012 Figure of the Year contests -- fans can mix and match the best of both worlds, making the Fisto you want the most.

For me, I think I was surprised more by how heavy it was. I'm so conditioned by all the posts I saw disliking the mini-comics that it's a shock when polls sometimes reveal the opposite to be true. Which is good and refreshing! But still can be a surprise.
    I think people disliked the changes from the Digital comics more. Well, at least before the She-Ra comic came out. At least TG's canon LOOKS like the actual character designs we are getting as the toyline and is following a familiar storyline from MYP and the original mini-comics. The differences of the Digital comics threw some fans for a loop. The DC designs were seen as questionable and no one really knows what the status quo exactly is, since we are getting bits and pieces. Add mature elements such as the Evil-Lyn sex scene, corruption in the palace guards and Randor isolating a village to keep an infection from spreading.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I'm really surprised the Digital Comics were the least liked!

The Star Sisters? What can I say? I'm still hanging on to that miniscule bit of hope inside that one day, when we've burned through most or all of the POP characters, the 4H will revisit these gals and give them the spacey, otherworldly look of the classic toy prototypes. (Remember, they're not native to Etheria) Additionally, how cool would it be to have the 4H use their imaginations to come up with a figure for the Celestial Witch?

Anyhow, had the funky-colored versions we got been released in the late 60's as part of another toy line (think Outer Space men), they would totally scream "space". But in the context of POP, to me, they look like they're supposed to blend in with the Whispering Woods with all the pastels, sort of like camouflage.
    You'd think that TG would have mined POP for some new characters, such as the witch that imprisoned the Star Sisters, but I think he's a MOTU boy at heart. We're lucky to get the existing POP figures, let alone NEW POP characters.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I prefer some 200x influences on just a few characters, like Stinkor or Two Bad...I really would like to see the Rattlor armor and, when Tung Lashor is made, the orange 200x armor.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Get to the chopper!

For shipping, I have long been saying that we are paying a premium price for anything but a premium service. My #1 issue with the line.

And awesome show as always!
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Come on, D-kosis! You're giving us real bad guys a bad name!
    Bad is good sometimes, no? Well, even the bad guys cannot stand the constant annoyance sometimes! It's a lot worse than torture!

[QUOTE=MegaGearMax;3194518]200X is Absolutely Required! Wooohooo! Although Classics is Vintage inspired, a lot of fans liked the elements that 200X/MYP brought to the table, enhancing old characters and adding onto the world of MOTU. Heck, this might be the reason why Fisto wins all of these 2012 Figure of the Year contests -- fans can mix and match the best of both worlds, making the Fisto you want the most.

I agree. Especially the extra accessories/ heads like for Fisto or critters like Pixel with Kahn are perfect 200x opportunities. That is what I love in Motuc. They are nice nods and make a figure worth the 25$ mark.
    Other options are the Modern heads if the previous head was a repaint like Stinkor with gasmask option or the hooded Filmation like Kahn head that blow a figure out of the water.