Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Need help from someone who can read/write Japanese

  1. #1
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,686

    Need help from someone who can read/write Japanese

    I am trying to do something neat for my upcoming toyline but I need to know what my toyline would be called in Japanese

    In English its Mystical Warriors of the Ring but when I translate that the end result is リングの神秘的な戦士

    But I want to make sure that is right, so if someone who knows Japanese could look it over or tell me what it should be I would appreciate it
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  2. #2
    No more OT Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,947
    I can probably let you know sometime tomorrow morning. My wife's best friend is Japanese. They work nights so I'll text a pic to her in the morning and let her check it.


    EDIT: Ok. according to her it translates to : Mysterious Warrior in Ring.
    Last edited by Dice; January 23, 2013 at 10:01am.

  3. #3
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,505
    Ironic and amusing request, marky, as I'm sure many orgers (incorrectly) assume your 'markatisu' name indicates Japanese heritage rather than signifying Mark at Iowa State University.

    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I am trying to do something neat for my upcoming toyline but I need to know what my toyline would be called in Japanese

    In English its Mystical Warriors of the Ring but when I translate that the end result is リングの神秘的な戦士

    But I want to make sure that is right, so if someone who knows Japanese could look it over or tell me what it should be I would appreciate it

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    227
    It is translating "ring" into the katakana "ringu" (just like the American movie "The Ring" was a remake of "Ringu"). But there is a Japanese word for "ring" that is written in hiragana as "yubiwa" (assuming you're talking about a ring worn on the finger). I don't know what the difference is between these two words or if one of them would sound funny in this context to a Japanese ear. Better check with a native speaker to see if one is preferred over the other.

  5. #5
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Ironic and amusing request, marky, as I'm sure many orgers (incorrectly) assume your 'markatisu' name indicates Japanese heritage rather than signifying Mark at Iowa State University.
    Yup lots of people think my name has some kind of asian influence when it literally is mark at isu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobubott View Post
    It is translating "ring" into the katakana "ringu" (just like the American movie "The Ring" was a remake of "Ringu"). But there is a Japanese word for "ring" that is written in hiragana as "yubiwa" (assuming you're talking about a ring worn on the finger). I don't know what the difference is between these two words or if one of them would sound funny in this context to a Japanese ear. Better check with a native speaker to see if one is preferred over the other.
    In this case Ring means wrestling Ring so whatever form of ring that is

    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I can probably let you know sometime tomorrow morning. My wife's best friend is Japanese. They work nights so I'll text a pic to her in the morning and let her check it.

    EDIT: Ok. according to her it translates to : Mysterious Warrior in Ring.
    Could you ask her what the proper translation would be for Mystical Warriors of the Ring?

    Thanks!!
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  6. #6
    No more OT Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,947
    I did but she was already asleep

    I should be able to get a pic of it tonight.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    リング の 神秘的 な 戦士
    Ok

    After some confusion this is what she said: it reads " ring no shinpi tekkion na senshi" and that what you have is correct. The only difference between what you wrote and what she wrote was spacing.

    I corrected it in the quote the way she wrote it. Hope that helps


    Edit: dangit!!

    I just realized I didn't correct her on asking for mystical instead of mysterious! I'm having to go through a third party for the info (my wife )

    Will try and get it right tomorrow

    - - - Updated - - -

    Ok It looks like Mystical and Mysterious translate the same.

    I think what you have there is pretty much what you want it to say

    - - - Updated - - -

    Try this site. from what I can tell there's not a word specifically for our "mystical"

    http://jisho.org/
    Last edited by Dice; January 23, 2013 at 10:34pm.

  7. #7
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,686
    Thanks for all your help! It was greatly appreciated
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •