Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you slowed or stopped collecting MOTUC? Official Mattel poll!

I still buy most figures, but the factor that is most going to change my view is Mattel. When the line first started it was great, but as the line has progressed MOTUC seems to have just become a cash cow for Mattel who constantly makes decisions that i don't agree with

- black plastic
    - Reubin's decisions
    - gouging on shipping and handling (i know thats DR but its Mattel who has stuck with them)
    - TG's empty promises
    - deco and accessories being cut

It'll be a combination of Mattels decisions

Seriously how can anyone believe Mattel that prices are going up so much that regular figures are increased $5 but a brand new 100% tooled twice the weight Ram-Man costs only $5 more then a 50% reuse figure? And I doubt Mattel is going to be losing money on Ram-Man.

J

Heroic Warrior
    For me it all boils down to shipping costs. I can't, for the life of me, order two figures and having to pay the price of a third one just for shipping them out so that I can receive them 20 days later. That is ridiculous. And Toyguru saying they were actually losing on the shipping? Sure, if DR is taking its cut from shipping, how aren't you losing money there? Just change the retailer, lower the shipping, and there you'll be on your way to having some people back on the line.

I can't understand how I can buy a $200 figure from someone like Sideshow Collectibles and get charged $10 for shipping for an 8 lbs. package and then going to Matty, buying two $27 figures and get charged $30 for shipping fr a 1.5 lbs. package. It's ridiculous and it doesn't make sense.

I would have bought Griffin and Horde Prime this past sale, 'cause I missed them when they were on sale before, but with those insane shipping prices? Forget about it. I could also go for a Faker this upcoming sale, but paying $27 for a figure that was released for $20 some years back is also a kick in the nuts. So no, I'm not playing that way. I'll get what I really need and pass on the rest. That means no Octavia, no Karatti, no FFM, no Snake Face, and no previously sold figures coming back with a higher price point.

I chose customer service. The fact that Scott is taking a poll shows me that the line is really in jeopardy.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Honestly, if these folks haven't figured out what is wrong by now with fans making no secret of all the problems they've had, I have to shake my head. There's nothing hidden here, no great, profound discovery to be made. The reasons the line is declining have been clear, and basically ignored, for years.
    ^This, for real. They know. They've always known, but they still keep blaming us for the line's decline.

Had to go mainly with character selection and having most of the ones I want. When this year was announced and as they kept on telling of newer things to come I just kept having the same list. Ram Man, Castle, Possibility of Horde Troopers. The rest just bored me to tears. Not a POP or NA fan so I know there are many who are and congrats for this yer but for me it was all just dull and a waste of money. So hunting down Ram Man..which I already have done thanks to a very nice subber on here.. and the troopers which I may have also done the same way and of course the Pre order of the castle..I am good. Not worth throwing away money on shipping and reselling the rest month after month. I would rather pay more for a few than pay a little less for those I want and get stuck with selling the rest. Or trading of course. My list of who is left is small but a happy one and so far this year 2 figures. Maybe more if the Toy Fair announcement is a good one
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

Heroic Warrior
    I only got a sub this year so that we could hopefully get some really awesome looking figures that have not been released yet (Horde Troopers and Two Bad). My other reason behind me signing up for one was so that I would actually be paying less for the figures. Paying more than $25.00 for a figure is bit much for any toy line. That price range is generally meant for the one per case figures or the almost impossible to find on the toy shelf figure.

$22.00 was an okay price point and one that I was willing to accept and even buying more than one figure per month. However, this year, I am not spending that much already because I simply cannot afford more than one or two figures per month. With the delay of Ram Man it actually helped me out so far this month in that I MAY be able to squeeze in another Ram Man in February.

I think a lot of us would not mind in getting some of the older figures that we are currently missing, yet we are constantly told this is not possible. A suggestion here would be to see if a pre-order would allow us decide on which figures we would like to be made so that we could fill holes in our collection. Example, put up a pre-order for Fisto. Let us know what the MINIMUM order is needed to get that figure made and then let us make the effort to try and reach that goal. If it fails then as collectors we are only to blame.

IF however it works, then you can see that maybe putting up one old figure quarterly to get remade would have benefits.

Concerning shipping, I have not had any issues with my shipments from DR except for length of time to Canada. Beyond that no issues. Anytime that I have called concerning my shipments they have always been prompt in dealing with my case and I have always gotten my product (knocks on wood).

I am not in any way unhappy with the line. I think that band aid solutions have been put in place to help resolve issues that needed to be addressed in a much more timely manner on issues that most people have voiced their concerns on.

I also think that Mattel needs to go back and look over their cost issues on their collectible lines to see where savings could be made without affecting the overall quality that the MOTUC needs. This way the savings could be passed onto us customer who are supporting the line.

There are solutions that could be found here. Scott and the Matty team could even find some help with ideas and solution by looking to a few of us maybe for help. An advisory committee of MOTUC collectors that could voice concerns and solutions to current issues with the line. Just an idea.

I think we all want to see the line succeed and be great. That is why we as a whole are passionate about the line. Maybe things will change. The year has only begun so let us hope we get some really awesome reveals at the Toy Fair this year. Cheers.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jerec350 View Post
    I chose customer service. The fact that Scott is taking a poll shows me that the line is really in jeopardy.
    Yep, this and the fact that he is asking about $20.00 figures.

They shot themselves in the foot, and if the line ends it has nothing to do with lack of fan support, and everything to do with mismanagement... a great deal of which falls on Toy Guru himself.

Beasts were made to kill Mamblo's Avatar
    I quit when the black plastic morbo occurred, however the main issue for me was that the scale of the figures is wrong. Motuc are too big this brought an high price and an exclusion of a wide range of vehicles and playset which are an important part of Motu line.

Heroic Warrior
    That is the way that I am currently seeing it. The line is more than likely on it's very last legs and 2013 could be the end. Who knows actually. I really think that they need to focus on Toy Fair and make it the best reveal for us. Get us excited again for the line. Then they should look at costs and see where potential savings could be made without affecting the overall quality of the line. Only time will tell.

Goon

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    I still buy most figures, but the factor that is most going to change my view is Mattel. When the line first started it was great, but as the line has progressed MOTUC seems to have just become a cash cow for Mattel who constantly makes decisions that i don't agree with

- black plastic
    - Reubin's decisions
    - gouging on shipping and handling (i know thats DR but its Mattel who has stuck with them)
    - TG's empty promises
    - deco and accessories being cut

It'll be a combination of Mattels decisions

Seriously how can anyone believe Mattel that prices are going up so much that regular figures are increased $5 but a brand new 100% tooled twice the weight Ram-Man costs only $5 more then a 50% reuse figure? And I doubt Mattel is going to be losing money on Ram-Man.

J
    These same issues are what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Honestly, if these folks haven't figured out what is wrong by now with fans making no secret of all the problems they've had, I have to shake my head. There's nothing hidden here, no great, profound discovery to be made. The reasons the line is declining have been clear, and basically ignored, for years.
    This too, there are threads here dedicated to these issues, and Scott has be involved in them....so how realistically can they seriously not know?

Not to mention all the BS about "can't please all the fans", well, it would be nice to please some, more than the few who are alright with whatever Mattel tosses at them. That is what they want though, people so damn complaisant they will accept anything, get bent over time and again, but never utter a word against anything. Sorry, but a huge ass chunk of collectors will never be like that. Happy to have the line yes, but it doesn't mean we should have to take whatever they decide they want to give us, we the fans are all that is keeping this line breathing. Maybe they should listen more than anything, if the line fails, it's due to them not listening and continuing to think their decisions represent the majority of the fan base.

And all the BS Ruben has done to the line since he came in....anyone could make better decisions than him, I mean Since Stinkor, it's been one horrible choice after another. I'm quite sure, either he doesn't care for the line, or he like Lt Spector over there wants the line the way he wants it. I know Terry gave us the Sorceress drums, but other than that and a few minor issues, he made really good decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamblo View Post
    I quit when the black plastic morbo occurred, however the main issue for me was that the scale of the figures is wrong. Motuc are too big this brought an high price and an exclusion of a wide range of vehicles and playset which are an important part of Motu line.
    In all honesty, the scale is just perfect considering the original figures were 5". I honestly dislike 4" figures, way too small and all seem very frail. Despite MOTUC being a larger scale, that is fine due to it's collector status, hell, there are retail lines that don't get huge play sets anymore, it's not the heyday of toy collecting the 80's was, and manufacturers know it, hence why Classics is not a retail line, if it was, it likely wouldn't have made it past the original 2 pack idea. We are getting Castle Grayskull, the single most important play set known to MOTU....sure Snake Mt would be awesome, maybe someday. We have Wind Raider, and no one said Vehicle PO's were off the table, Grayskull worked, I believe vehicles would, since Grayskull being so huge needed far more orders than a vehicle would to justify it.

I personally don't want a line of anything under 6" except Transformers....Now, Thundercats Classic being 8", was a bit ambitious for a company that didn't even seem to care about the products. And the TMNT Classics are just perfect too, at least Bandai seems to care about the lines.

EDIT....so now the board is editing non curse words? Had to fix a word that wasn't even bad, that's the second time that's happened.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; January 24, 2013 at 11:32am.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Widget
    I do have an issue with the prices and shipping, but that's not the overriding factor in my decision not to purchase. I feel raped every time I order, and so it always taints my enthusiasm for what should be an exciting purchase.

And don't get me started on digital river. Those SOBs should be summarily removed from the global gene pool, lest they procreate and poison the species.

QC is lackluster, most notably joints that break when being moved for the first time and swapped upper arms. How hard is it to label left and right?! Even Matty brass don't notice when they get the samples. It's like they're too busy deciding which background character from 1989 to stick us with in November.

And the obscure characters are what's keeping the line alive and killing it at the same time. They can't put out everything people want or they'll all just go away. So they fill slots with worthless nobodies and obscure fan-made nonsense. But that too has a way of slowly killing the line by making subscribers pay for characters they don't know, like, or care to own. It's a catch-22.

This line has been going since 2008 and we still don't have Ram Man (yet), probably the 4th or 5th most important "master". It's not because of lack of demand, but they know a lot of people will simply stop collecting once they get the core characters they love and remember. I'm likely one of those people. When I obtain Ram Man by one means or another, I'm probably out. Barring a new vehicle (battleram) or something unforseenly awesome (snake mtn), there just isn't anything else I care to own in this line.

What that really says is that they should have had an exit strategy rather than letting it bleed fans and wonder why. Mattel in general can't find it's ass with both hands and a flashlight, so this is no surprise really. Managing an online collector-focus line in a bad economy when you run out of "good" characters is not a fun situation to be in. But Scott is a huge huckster, clearly a carnival barker in a former life, and his less than forthright comments in the past have not garnered any good will with most of the fan community.

Lies, delays, high prices, terrible QC, worse customer service, and unwanted characters are all a major part of the problem. The 4H sculpts are about the only positive thing about this line. They are awesome.

There. That's what I really think. There was no option in the poll for that.

I have a small collection of 7 figures. It's not due to anything other than my inability to afford more than that.

I'm not sure I'd be a subscriber if I could afford it. It's not due to quality issues (which are definitely there but I think not rampant), but rather all the PoP figures, which I have zero interest in. Ditto for New Adventures, but there aren't as many of them so far. I suppose I could always subscribe and then sell off the PoP/NA figures. But it's all moot as I can't afford it anyway.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Easy: too costly period (figure and/or shipping)

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I chose shipping costs too high. Although the QC could use improving as well as customer service, I feel that shipping cost is the biggest hurdle right now.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I went for Other, its a combination of Value and QC, poor QC heightens the lack of Value for money. Plus i look at other lines of figures such as TMNT and they are cheaper and better quality with more accessories than some MOTUC (sure thats a line of 6 so far), you can also compare to NECA lines like Predator and the detail for a cheaper figure is amazing and thats equally as small a line as MOTUC but they took the risk on retail.
    I'm not saying MOUTC is bad, far from it, but it is certainly not the best action figure line by a long shot when compared to others

I didn't participate in the poll, because I haven't and won't slow down on collecting MotUC. However I do think that there are many legitimate reasons to be less than satisfied- High prices/shipping, poor QC, poor customer service. The thing is that I'm a sucker and I'll buy anything and everything MotU no matter how crap it is. It's kind of like battered wife syndrome.

i voted "other"

no faith or trust in the company. I've been lied to many times
    LOOKING for these MOTU Full Cardbacks:
    -Skeletor w/"original" promo on front
    -Man E Faces w/ "extra weapons" promo on front
    -Trap Jaw w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    -Tri Klops w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    & Mantisaur Empty Box (USA) Version

Netossa must have sold extremely poor for this poll to happen. Perhaps they only had 100 or so extra and she took that long to sell....just throwing numbers out there....this does concern me quite a bit. I thought with the castle and the extra stuff to be showed at toy fair,we were on an up tick....albeit a small one.

Maybe Scott is really trying to help grow the line again is all this is. I hope.

I will not take part in the poll,I have no issues and will only stop collecting when they stop making them.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

It feels and looks like we are paying more for less. The Black base plastic is unacceptable at 27 bucks per figure. 2 or 1 accessory is unacceptable at 27 bucks too. At 27$ a figure they better come with an extra head, 3-4 weapons/accessories and a damn trading card for fun. Also none of this paint on black plastic crap. I understand if they get rid of the weapons pack but if we get 3-4 accessories and an alternate head for 27 bucks, all of this could be avoided.

Why isn't "lack of space" an option in the poll?

After 90+ figures that seems like it'd be a fairly popular choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    I'm the same. I sold most of my MOTU figures to clear some space (I've kept He-Man, Battle Cat, the Royal Family, MAA, Teela, Skeletor, Beast Man, Trap Jaw and BG Evil-Lyn). The only characters I'll be buying are POP and some Filmation.

So, yeah, I'd buy more figures if there were more of them released too.
    So so agree with you as you have nearly my same taste for figures, I'm not going to buy all the crap they can produce...Just what I wany and primary characters....

Honestly, couldn't the line be winding down just due to human nature in general( i.e., People just losing interest due to the "new factor" that we had at first)? I mean, the line has been going for 4 years, so that's a decent amount of time. Not saying there have not been issues, but I think people's love for Motu has overriden the problems and now just lack of interest is what were seeing now. For Ex., I play World of Warcraft and the game is losing players ALL the time (my server used to be a very high population, not near so much as now)--even though the new expansion was very good. For this reason, I hope Mattel REALLY knocks us out with the reveals for the 2014 line, or I'm afraid this year may be it--at least in the way this has been going for the last few years (no more sub, but a few figures released during the year at a higher price point,etc..)

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    There's two things that I don't like about this poll....

1. It appears to only be designed for those who have stopped supporting the line. I still have a sub and I'm still buying pretty much any extra non-sub items that come out. At best I may cut back on any figures that I buy duplicates of, but I haven't bought multiples consistently across the board for a couple of years now, so really my collecting habits with this line haven't changed drastically anytime recently. I feel like by voting at all, it adds to a total that will be presumed to have already quit the line. There almost should have been two polls... 1 for those who have quit and 1 for those who haven't, but specify what hypothetically might cause them to do so (and maybe also specifying how close they are to quiting).

2. You can only pick one option. While some people may be more "peeved" over one issue than another, I'm sure for a lot of people (whether they've already quit the line, are considering it, or are like me and are sticking it out, but still have issues with certain things) are upset over more than one of these issues. A vote for one issue by default puts blame only on that one issue and no other for any one voter. I suppose some people can choose (and have been choosing) "other" to specify multiple issues, but it would be nice if the poll were set up in such a way that it allows people to specify multiple issues.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Pizza flows through me HordeFan's Avatar
    No more subs for me. There are just way too many characters I don't want to be paying so much per figure. So, I'm just going to cherry pick now. The lack of POP and NA figures also have me ticked off. Show love for the WHOLE brand and not just your favorites.

I was just rearranging my figures a little, and it suddenly hit me how ****** I was getting about all the loose ankles and knees on these damn things, sure the new ones are much better, but even Khan has loose ankles. Horde Prime and Draego were really ******* me off, HP more for not being back heavy, and Draego because loose thighs, loose knees and loose ankles make it really hard to keep a figure standing correctly, thank God for DM's tail or he'd topple right over backwards.

Makes me really, really miss my MOSC collection. None ever fell over, and loose joints were never an issue. But, just a thought on just how much these things can **** me off.

I get not every figure is like another, I have 2 Fakers and one has really good joints, the other had loose knees and looser ankles, but 2 out of 2 Khans had loose ankles.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!