Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have you slowed or stopped collecting MOTUC? Official Mattel poll!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    I voted 'NOT ENOUGH POP characters'. Which is true. I'd be buying more figures if there were more POP characters!
    I voted not enough female PoP characters (because I usually buy them in triplicate. ).

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Honestly, what killed a lot of the excitement for me is the lack of toy-based POP figures, little hope of seeing new or existing POP concepts, and how the Star Sisters turned out.
    Yeah, I agree. I still hope they will release TOY She-Ra vs TOY Catra eventually. That would make me very satisfied.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Court Magician
    Mattel: "We still aren't giving you the kind of service you've been asking us for for years. Why are you upset?"

My reason/s were not covered in the short poll options, and frankly, you should be able to pick more than one reason on a poll like this. There's no simple answer.

My main grievances:

Lack of Transparency: There are no lisencors to blame approval issues on with this line. There's no reason we shouldn't be given a better idea of line-up or shown more work in advance. This is our line. We are committing to and paying for it directly, up front, in advance. I want to see better what's going on. I shouldn't have to wait for updates at toy shows months apart. I want to know that a figure is being done right - proper parts, proper deco, proper choices, etc. I'm sick of hearing, "Oh, this is this way because the 4H or because design thought it would be best" and then they're wrong. If they had just asked the investors, us, what we would have preferred, we could have told them. Also, I just got my first 2013 figures of the year and found that the white mailers have been reduced in quality to such a level, that I'm not sure they provide any worthwhile protection at all. Did everyone else know this was coming? I was caught by surprise upon the arrival of my figures, and I'm not a fan of unpleasant surprises. I follow news pretty closely, and I never read anything about this.

Lack of Responsiveness: I feel like most of the responses to our problems with Mattel are lip service - nothing more. "We're sorry, and we'll do what we can to make sure it doesn't happen again. It's still an awesome figure though, right? Just be lucky you got it." Even if Mattel is doing its best, it's just not good enough. When a figure is screwed up, I don't want an apology. I don't want Mattel to send me some figure I already have. I want the problem to be fixed. A company has insurance for things like this. Recall the product - or don't - and go back into production. Do it again. Measure twice, cut once, right? But if you don't, then do it over. The same problems with the line and with Digital River and the ordering process have persisted since the beginning. The white screen of death has gotten a lot better, but that is probably mainly because of the subscription scheme and probably not really due to any changes on Mattel's part.

Quality Control: Apologizes and an extra bonus figure I didn't ask for or need are terrific, but you know what I like even better? The figure I paid for to be done right. This is a small enough line that I would expect it to be easier to manage. Switching factories might be a good idea. Roboto's arms, King Hsss's arms, Netossa's arms, other slip ups here and there, gray film growing over the figures (which no one ever really talks about but I think it's outrageous and unforgivable). Design decided to use black plastic? Are you sure it wasn't left over from Batman toys or something? That's ridiculous and unacceptable. As many pieces as possible should be cast in the color they are intended to be. Lots of figures even seem to have issues, at least under different light, of plastics/paints that aren't the same color! Hasbro doesn't seem to suffer these problems, nor Bandai. Why is Mattel having these problems? Is it policy? Is it factory selection? Is it an avaricious profit margin? I don't know, but quality is suffering. How long am I supposed to put up with it before there's a definitive resolution?

Digital River: As people have said, time and time again, Digital River is absurd. The shipping takes forever - and as a result, often comes beat up. It's too expensive. The customer service is a joke. There must be a better way to offer these figures. Hasbrotoyshop.com seems to work fine. Why couldn't these collector figures be sent through shop.mattel.com or through some other means? Digital River is not the only option. What back room deals has Mattel entered into that we can't ditch DR, despite all the years of complaints?

Value: People can tell me all they want that comparing Matty products to Marvel Select or S.H. Figuarts, etc. is comparing apples to oranges, but when it comes down to it, where does my money go? Does it go blindly to frequent production problems, errors, delays, and headaches? Or does it go to the most amazing figures I've ever seen with significantly more value in them - both in artistic quality and after-market prices that I have seen and evaluated in advance and chosen to buy? I don't know how Mattel's price structure works, but it's not working. Mattel is not delivering the value (that is, the cost you pay for what you get) that other companies are offering, and I don't know about anyone else, but it's sure as heck turning me off. Hasbro's Marvel Legends are $14.99 at my Target, and they come with BAF pieces, accessories, etc. Why are DC Universe figures with no C&C $20 and upwards - if I can even find them?! Why does Mattel think that customers should have to commit first and blindly to products, be shown nothing along the way, and then be surprised, unpleasantly - at least in the case of the Hover Board - upon completion? Companies were built to take on risk. Customers should not bear it. Whether your product sells depends on the value you build into it based on the partners you choose to work with (which factories, where you get your raw materials, vendors, etc.). The pre-order scheme itself seems absurd if I can return the product if I'm not happy with it. If that's the case, why doesn't everyone in the world just pre-order, and if they're disappointed, leave Mattel with the heaps of unsatisfactory plastic? If Mattel will be burdened with those cancellations and returns, why bother pre-ordering at all? Why do we even have to tell this all to Mattel? Why can't they look at what other competitors are doing and see it themselves? It's ridiculous. There's no mystery here.

Mattel needs to re-evaluate itself from the inside out, make some serious internal changes, and get with the modern-day toy industry, because right now, as far as Boy's toys or collector's toys are concerned (failure after failure - I'm sure you can think of the many failed lines), it's getting its *** kicked.
    Last edited by GoldBlade6; January 24, 2013 at 03:30pm.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Netossa must have sold extremely poor for this poll to happen. Perhaps they only had 100 or so extra and she took that long to sell....just throwing numbers out there....this does concern me quite a bit. I thought with the castle and the extra stuff to be showed at toy fair,we were on an up tick....albeit a small one.

Maybe Scott is really trying to help grow the line again is all this is. I hope.

I will not take part in the poll,I have no issues and will only stop collecting when they stop making them.
    This is a He-Man.org poll, not a MattyCollector poll. I don't think sales of January day-of MOTUC product have anything to do with it. The .org always throws up polls and each year we're told the sub sales keep going down a lot.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I voted for shipping. when the shipping cost is almost as expensive as the figure, that's the deal breaker for me.

also, then i found out why it is so expensive for the international buyers because they shipped the product to sweden then ship it back to canada. that's just make me mad. i am sure that it would be alot cheaper and faster if matty ship the product directly from US to Canada.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Honestly, if these folks haven't figured out what is wrong by now with fans making no secret of all the problems they've had, I have to shake my head. There's nothing hidden here, no great, profound discovery to be made. The reasons the line is declining have been clear, and basically ignored, for years.
    Yeah, but these are the same people who need thousands upon thousands of photos in order to come to the realization that black plastic is a bad idea.

I chose shipping on the poll, however I agree that an "all of the above" option would have been nice. I can relate to most of the reasons that were listed and I just voted on what I felt was the worst of the evils for the moment.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I wish Mattel had chosen to create this poll around subscription-gate. They could have had six months to institute any changes from the poll data.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Without reading through this entire thread, can I say that I take issue with the use of the term "support"?

I think everyone here at the ORG supports the He-Man and She-Ra brands through their fandom. Maybe the question should have been "why don't you buy the sub?" because I'm guessing that's what Mattel really wants to know.

Don't tell us we don't support these characters. If we don't...then um, who exactly does?

Heroic Warrior
    i guess my biggest concern would be character selection. at this point i really want to cherry pick but feel that i cant. i dont want POP since i have all the ones i need, i dont want dekker, FFM or the giants ive had to purchase in the past. at these prices i just dont want to pay for items i could care less about. at a cheaper rate i dont mind it.

i know im probably the only who thinks this way but i want characters that havent been made since the 80's. so if it has a 200x or staction version they take a lower priority on my list. i know you have to obviously make heman or skeletor in any line but for instance id rather have ninjor, dragstor or extendar rather than snout spout or mantenna. i already have them in the staction version so id rather have a new extendar which i dont have any version of at all. even if i didnt have mantenna at least theres a reasonable option for people out there to buy him since he was made in the last couple years. eventually id like every character made so everyone can have everyone they want but for me i dont need Netossa or Dekker. i just want the option to cherry pick so i can buy what i want.

i think for the sub mattel should put up a poll on their website basically around this time of year for the following years sub. the 12 highest figures requested get made and thats it. let it up to the people. no more crap FFM men figures that people dont want but mattel thinks are cool and then force people to buy them. even with dekker, sure people wanted to buy him after the fact but how many people wanted him over two bad. he would have never made a fan demanded list.

I vote CHARACTER SELECTION.
    I have most of the figures I want. Ram Man is the only one left for me to get.

Other than Rammy there are still a lot of NA figures I wish to get, but those come out so rarely that I'll be very surprised if I buy more than two MOTUC figures a year from now on.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

Honestly, if these folks haven't figured out what is wrong by now with fans making no secret of all the problems they've had, I have to shake my head. There's nothing hidden here, no great, profound discovery to be made. The reasons the line is declining have been clear, and basically ignored, for years.
    ^ This...
    IMHO the poll is pointless at this stage, they knew about all the problems before hand and chose not to do much about it!
    I'm still collecting everything, and I've purchased two subs for 2013, and I totally regret it. Bad QC for me was my main beef with this line, and now all the above including the unfulfilled promises and the constant lies!
    Also, MOTU as a brand for me is not only figures, vehicles and playsets are a very integral part of the experience, and now that's gone too, so a big chunk of my collecting desire has vanished with it.
    If they don't combine my shipping next month, then I'll have to drop the ball on Matty and go second market...
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Technically I quit Matty collector and not the line, but I still count myself here because I go through the secondary market rather than delaling with DR. I, of course, had to chose "other", because bogus credit card charges aren't listed as a choice.

I honestly don't know how much can be done.
    We don't know what sort of contract Mattel has with DR, so that could be preventing change.

And if they could switch to a new provider, I don't think it's worth it on Mattel's part.
    They would need to shut down Matty Collector (and thus MOTUC) until a new provider can be found.
    Than a new contract has to be made and approved, possibly a whole new website designed (or atleast a major overhaul of Matty Collector)... We're talking about putting MOTUC on a months long hiatus, maybe even a year long.

I'm not so sure Mattel would be willing to go through all that, and spend all that money, for such a small, insignificant toyline.
    It's much easier and cheaper for Mattel to just completely cancel the whole line (and Matty Collector) and be done with it.
    Last edited by SLO-MAN; January 24, 2013 at 04:58pm.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

I voted "Other" with the combined facts that there insane shipping and Digital Rivers Fees put the figures insanely high for no reason. Yes I ordered Castle Grayskull but I did not order Wind Raider nor Granymir because of the stupid high fees tacked on. This year I also dropped my DC figure buying because of the same reasons above.

I believe that the lack of vehicles and playsets has hurt the line. I think they need to start looking at making at least one of each per year if they want the line to continue. Also, fiascos like the screwup with Fisto, where some subscription holders didn't even recieve the figure, isn't helping things. If they want to make it up to fans, they need to start using more common sense and start reissuing figures that people want like Fisto and Teela. I always try to be supportive of MOTUC, but 2012 was not a good year in terms of customer service, and I think that if Mattel trully respects the people buying these toys, they will start correcting these issues in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldBlade6 View Post
    Mattel: "We still aren't giving you the kind of service you've been asking us for for years. Why are you upset?"

My reason/s were not covered in the short poll options, and frankly, you should be able to pick more than one reason on a poll like this. There's no simple answer.

My main grievances:

*snip*

Mattel needs to re-evaluate itself from the inside out, make some serious internal changes, and get with the modern-day toy industry, because right now, as far as Boy's toys or collector's toys are concerned (failure after failure - I'm sure you can think of the many failed lines), it's getting its *** kicked.
    You covered it all. Great post.

Well, this is not quite what I had in mind when I posted in TG's thread that Mattel should survey its customers.

First, I have a user account on the official mattycollector.com site that could be used to access a customer survey, which could then be related to my order history, location, etc. Why should I be obligated to come to an unofficial site to post in an anonymous, non-scientific poll to indicate my future buying preferences to Mattel?

Second, a single poorly-worded poll question is not a sufficient attempt to survey customers.

Third, who has the audacity to actually tell their customers that they do not care what they think so long as they keep paying? That's our Matty!

If your most loyal customers' opinions are so unimportant to you, keep it to yourself. If this were a survey on mattycollector.com, you could see who bought more or less over time and focus on the opinions of those users you deem to be most informative quietly behind the scenes. Instead you continue to disenfranchise your best customers.

While my buying habits have stayed essentially the same for 2013, I almost increased my subscriptions from one to two before deciding against it. I didn't vote in the poll, but here are some of the reasons for my decision:

Value/Shipping - we are not being told why shipping is so out of proportion to other vendors, how much of shipping is actually handling, and what services handling covers. The true price of these figures has increased even more than advertised.

Character Selection - I most certainly do not have all the characters I want, but that does not mean character selection is not an issue. I enjoy the occasional obscure figure, but there have been too many. The fear of being saddled with a worthless extra set of Fighting Foe Men was an important factor.

Quality Control - the QC issues and cost reduction on figures needs to end with the price increase. Mattel will not get away with that excuse in 2013, but I have little faith in their ability to meet that expectation.

Customer Service/Ordering - when I was told by DR that there was no way to alter the shipping method on my first subscription during the subscription window it was the final straw for the second subscription. What I did not know was that there would NEVER be a way to alter the shipping method on my first subscription (even though we were assured that would be available in My Subscriptions).
    Last edited by ShadowBeast; January 25, 2013 at 12:13am.

Prior to this year I have been a cherry picker, but now I have a sub. I didn't vote in the poll since I'm at the moment buying more, but what happens in the next six months will have a huge impact on wether or not I will continue collecting this toyline.

My main motivation for getting a sub was TGs promise that if we reach the minimum for 2013 subs, he'll do whatever he can to make sure that we get as complete line-ups as possible. For me the most important characters from the original line are Snout Spout, Rio Blast, Extendar, Stonedar, Rokkon and Gwildor. So far only one of those has been released. If there is no hope of getting the rest, I personally have very little motivation to support this line in the future. So it all depends on wether or not TG and Mattel in general come through with their promise to focus on finishing the line-ups after this year.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    This is a He-Man.org poll, not a MattyCollector poll. I don't think sales of January day-of MOTUC product have anything to do with it. The .org always throws up polls and each year we're told the sub sales keep going down a lot.
    It's still an official Mattel poll. It's Scott Neitlich who's asking for our opinion this time, not one of the .Org admins/mods.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    I always try to be supportive of MOTUC, but 2012 was not a good year in terms of customer service, and I think that if Mattel trully respects the people buying these toys, they will start correcting these issues in 2013.
    2012 was bad? Name a year that wasn't bad in terms of customer service! Customer service is the #1 problem this line has had since day one, and despite the lack of corrective action (despite all the lip-service), they keep trucking along. We can't fix DR or Matty; all we can do is vote with our dollars. The poll indicates that the lack of support is at least being noticed; whether or not that translates into anything beneficial remains to be seen. I won't hold my breath.

When it comes to Scott and Matty.com, I'm pretty skeptical; polls like this mostly make me think they are looking for yet another way to give us the short end of the stick. I know they are in business to make money, but the producer/customer relationship here is more adversarial than any other line I can ever recall. Rather than fix any of their numerous problems, all they do is raise prices, make empty promises, and levy thinly veiled threats to give us even less for our money. whiskey.tango.foxtrot.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I always hate these polls.

Of course I don't mean that seriously, but the choices are always way too narrow.
    And this poll in particular is inherently flawed if any kind of real sample is hoped to be had.
    (I mean, does anyone really think that subscribers--who have to buy everything--won't vote?)

As for comments in this thread, I think a lot of fans are getting way too personal and particular.
    It's totally fair for you to have your own POV of course.
    But the downturn in the line isn't because, like Stratos still has a yellow belt on the cross sell.

The issues are much more overarching, and IMO the big two have been:

1) Exhausting the heavy hitters far too quickly. If the roadmap was indeed planned from the get-go, then its designers are highly mistaken if they think they reserved enough "household names" to keep the line compelling for non-diehards. The almost consecutive roll-out of every major character in the MotUniverse totally sucked the wind out of almost every sail regarding the line.

2) General hoop-jumping and worries, that have been steady and unrelenting from the onset. Whether it was a wrong sale date, or a misassembled figure, or non sell-out sell-outs vs. actual sell-outs, or a poorly-worded comment by the face of the company, each and every one of these (most piddly annoyance and major disruption alike) has slowly but surely whittled away confidence and pride of too many fans. Fans who put nearly absolute blind faith in Mattel to deliver things as promised. There is so much talk of price increases and such, but IMO if things had been handled better, these would be selling in quantities high enough to largely offset rising costs.

Bottom line for me is that it's sad when this poll has to exist at all.

As a sub holder from 2008-2012,I think that we're all being put over the barrel here to be honest,Mattel has failed to deal with the problems that have plagued the line since 2008 and yet we have had cuts every year from alternate heads to weapons,the latter being a con to sell weapons packs,imo,and then two weeks ago we have TG asking if we would accept reduced packaging like poly bags,poly bags are not reduced packaging they are the least amount of packaging.

These polls that Matty puts out are pointless,they will do whatever they want to do and it wouldn't surprise me if they were putting these idea's out as a plan for the 2014 sub,smaller sub means smaller budget after all.

It's also pointless that we were only allowed to vote one answer,Mattel knows the problems and if they had any concerns or plans to fix them then they would have allowed us to vote for 2 or 3 answers to see which were the highest % of problems.

I hope the line does continue for the sake of getting to the rest of the vintage figures,PoP,NA or whatever your preference for collecting the line but it's getting harder to see the line continuing through 2014/15 with the amount of cuts and decreases that Mattel/TG is hinting at,how is two-badd and Mantenna possible with deco cuts,same goes for a possible Modulock/Multi-bot.

Maybe the best thing for the line is a quarterly figures sub and con exclusives if it means continuity to get to all the figures and factions,controversial i know because Mattel won't go for it and fans won't want it,but to save the line from going the way of others and losing out on figures,is it such a bad idea.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Too much money for too little value. I know its a specialty line and people should be grateful or whatever.........but 35 bucks...... for figures that have QC issues and sloppy paint, and a added headache when there IS a problem just to return it and try to get a new one...... not worth it anymore.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    there is a reason why they have to use the term "suggested retail price". that being said, this poll is going to prove nothing. its skewed. they should have given MULTIPLE option choices, because its not like voting for president. there are 3 actual reasons on that list I have chosen not to collect anymore. and I HAVE A SUB THIS YEAR. sure I will see my sub out, but there are other figures that i dont have that i just dont want to deal with buying through MATTY. I might randomly pick them up at other places, like cons, or comicbook shops.

the fact that they only give you one option to pick, shows that they are not really interested in what WE THINK. they are interested in how they can make more money. everyone saw this issue coming 2 years ago. and if they would not have been so good at convincing me with Rammy to get this years sub, i wouldnt have. that is my bad.

I just dont get how they play dumb every year. "whats the problem" its like asking your spouse what is wrong. (and i do not mean to offend by this phrasing of it, its just an example) sure you might listen. but do you REALLY think that mattel gives a crap about what we are saying? really? its all just noise. Just my opinion. but if someone could provide the list of "problems" with this line that has been floating around here for years, i bet hardly ANY if not NONE of the problems people have with in general have been taken care of. quality control issues are the same, if not worse. shipping continues to somehow rise, yet flat rate boxes are available for me at my post office, there are many better options that DR, yet they continue to stand by them, and shipping internationally apparently became a topic of the apolcolypes...

take those issues, add the fact that for me, as i consider myself a VERY big MOTU fan, outside of Rammy and a few others, I can deal with not getting most of the others. and if your BIG fans are like, "eh".... well.... then you might have a problem.

dont get me wrong, love the line. love the toys. it doesn't deserve my money because it should earn my money. hear come the "oh, well, you bought the sub" and i know i did. but dont give me a list of "why dont you buy these" and not make it multiple choice. that is just REALLY REALLY pointless.

noise. all it is.

TG ways to save the line? less quality, less packaging, less accessories......

right.... you sure heard us loud and clear. stop with the political bull crap. like people in congress.

"how do we save more money??!?!?"

"we spend less"

"no, thats too easy, lets FIND MORE MONEY".............

its a joke.

I've decided to slow down due to multiple factors, I'll list them here:

-when Mattel started raising the bar, releasing multiple figures per month, wich were leading to larger packages wich were being taxed by costums.

- The inclusion of figures that really don't appeal that much to me (IE: Chief Carnivous, 30th anniversary sub line, some variants), they are all great sculpts but they're laking the nostalgia factor.

-Problems related with the DR incompetence. Trying to charge my old CC, after I added the new one to my account. That led to a canceled Subscription, only fixed after several international phone calls, since they're e-mails were all pointless.
    Same thing happened again this year. My CC was successfully updated on the website, on October, every single figure purchase made until December went smooth, and in January, BAM Subscription Failure due to a CC failure. Again they were charging the old one, used to buy the sub. Is it so difficult to handle a CC Number change for those guys????

- The price increase in both the figures and shipping, made find a partner in the US who was willing to recieve my figures an ship them back to me. So far everything it's perfect, but i'll only see if it compensates when i get the first shipment.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I'm nearly done collecting this line for multiple reasons. Hell, I sold off 75 figures two weeks ago and am pretty much only keeping the vintage characters.

The reasons?

Digital River
    Poor quality control
    Poor character choices
    Digital River
    Price is getting high as next year it will be $30 for a regular figure
    lack of accessories
    Digital River
    Poor attitudes of Mattel
    Digital River
    New interest in other lines

Take this for example. I'm into Tamashii Nations' Figuarts line. Yes, they cost as much or more than MOTUC, however, they are imports, so they are going to be. Nevertheless, every figure usually comes with multiple sets of hands, weapons, and effect pieces. Here are some examples:

- Yes, that stand for the lightning bolts came with him
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I no longer collect MOTUC mainly because I lost motivation,5 years, obvious wear and it became very routine for me. I need motu take a leap into a new challenges.

Anyway, I think my problem goes beyond, I feel like I'm retiring from collecting.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG