Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone BIG will be revealed at NYTF!

I don't know Tekken2, but I'm happy to enlighten you!
    WE GOT ICER SO NO RIOT SIR (Laser Lot)

Thinking of a drinking game here...

Anytime either Shadowfall or Frightmare use the word "son" , one sip.

Anytime Shadowfall or Frightmare award gold stars to each other, 3 sips...

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    YAY for Era Wars!

I like anything from the 80s including both MOTU & POP, DEFINITELY Filmation, Mini Comics, whatever! I'm even accepting of the few New Adventures characters we've gotten so far and those was the darkest days of MOTU in my lifelong fandom of it.

I'm cool with some 200x too, but not much. There aren't many NEW characters that I want from that era. I think certain variants are more important than any of the new characters from 200x. Like who the hell wanted a Dekker figure? Anyone?!
    I wanted Dekker--how could you not want Duncan's bad-ass, grizzled teacher?
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    I didn't know I wanted it untill I had it...

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Seriously though, where would you rank Dekker in the grand scheme of things? He's like #200 and something for me. How many people were "clamoring" for Dekker? Did he even have an official "Support thread" on here?
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Seriously though, where would you rank Dekker in the grand scheme of things? He's like #200 and something for me. How many people were "clamoring" for Dekker? Did he even have an official "Support thread" on here?
    Well, I hear his Double sandwiches are pretty popular...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    ...anyway. There are a couple factors that you guys are missing here. It also comes down to what Toyguru and the 4H WANT to do. It is my understanding that MOTUC is a labor of love for these guys... They decided early on to do AT LEAST 2 POP ladies per sub year... or am I wrong? Being someone who knows how hard it is to work on something that your heart isn't into 100%... I know how hard it can be to work on these things that aren't all that interesting to you. There's not going to be an avalanche of POP figures... because (and maybe I'm wrong) they are just not huge fans.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't you know Count that Dekker was "fan-demanded"? I don't give a crap if it was only 5 people who had him at the top of their list, he was "fan-demanded"

Now that the line is starting to slow down and we don't know how many spots might be left, I think this second guessing about character selection is going to continue. I'm sure POP fans will not be happy if the line ends and they got the Star Sisters and Netossa but not Angella or Glimmer. I don't think that's going to happen, but there will be some that don't make the cut.
    Last edited by Zodach; January 24, 2013 at 04:44pm.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I am not a Vintage POP fan myself, but I do love the POP figures I bought, and will buy more if I like them. And I agree Vintage MOTU does not always equal better than POP when it comes to Classics, VIntage toys, possibly, but not in Classics when every figure has equal footing, being the same size, same parts, same builds....Vintage was Action figures vs Dolls....hardly a comparison there. But in Classics POP has a great chance to be just as great as any VIntage figure.

Most of the blah blah about POP is solely based on not having the nostlagia for it, well I have to say when it comes to Classics, I have my nostalgic figures, but I also have figures I never thought I'd ever like in my lifetime....I never thought I'd ever own anything POP, but Classics brought them into my collection, and I for one love Frosta.

Of what, that A-List POP is just as capable of selling out vs B and under Vintage?

I would say She-Ra and Adora were good indicators, Frosta would have fared better than she did if her deco was correct and she wasn't the latest in the forearm debacle. I would say Frosta outsold the likes of Buzz Off and that is as MGM was saying a low rated purely Vintage figure, and I guarantee the want for Blade is lower than that of say Castaspella, maybe not Mantenna or Two-Bad, but some POP will outsell the remaining B and below Vintage figures.

Look at the sell out times starting in 2010 if you want proof.

BA He-Man, Roboto & Grizzlor did very badly compared to Adora & She-Ra, hell even Whiplash, Orko & Battle Cat didn't sell out as fast.

Bow sold out in an hour vs Leech & Sy-Klone lasting for days.

How much more proof do you need?
    Back in the old days, 1995, I collected Spawn figures. Not for any nostalgia, because there was none. Most of these were new characters, or just recently involved in a comic book. I bought the figures because they were good designs and intersting characters. Often the more sought after figures were the female characters. Same with many other lines of the time. Boy have times changed.

I just wish that POP characters would receive detail wise the same treatment that the rest of the line is getting. For instance with vintage figures you have mostly vintage character with some aspect of their more detailed 200x character thrown in. i.e. Webstor or Fisto and i think for the most part both the characters were highly praised for their design.

However, POP never had the 200x treatment and unfortunately, in my opinion, those extras aren't even thought of in the classics line. We simply get a direct filmation translation of the figure. Understandably the filmation characters have less detail because the artist does not want to have to draw such detailed characters over and over and over again. However that lack of detail when translated to figure form looks "flat", for lack of a better word, when compared to other MOTUC characters.

If i cringe when i hear constant pressing for a character like Glimmer it is only because i know it will be a more Filmation oriented Glimmer. Look at Clamp Champ he has tons of detail on his new armor that was at one time a repaint of Fisto's armor. Fisto gets a belt with a book sculpted into it, a book! Frosta, Tallstar do not get that treatment. While i love the Four horsemen’s work, and i do, it does seem unfair that POP characters are being sculpted as they are, compared to the rest of the line. And I may be wrong, but perhaps POP characters would win more supporters if they were given the extra flare that other characters receive. Look at the details on the Teela figure compared to Adora, I mean yes Battle Ground Teela isn't all that detailed but she does have a "sex appeal" which in my opinion wouldn't hurt POP at all either. So if I want characters like Mermista or Peakablue over the Great Rebellion leader, it is because if things remain the same, their Filmation counterparts are more detailed then Queen Angela's daughter.

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    See, this is the type of question and discussion that makes this board worth returning to!

Honestly, Dekker's never been in my Top 10 or anything. That being said, I love the history and interpersonal relationship that he adds to the Duncan character--a character, I might add, that is indisputably important and essential, but whom I nonetheless always had difficulty relating to because he seemed kind of one-dimension (both in the minicomics and the Filmation series). Thus, it's not so much that Dekker is directly important to me in the grand scheme of things, but rather that I view his character as important because he helps me better relate to an essential character. Also, there's a whole host of original MOTU characters that, for me, are trumped by Dekker, owing to his characterization and abilities (or rather, his lack thereof--he's just an ordinary guy, kickin' some evil ass). I would happily take Dekker long before someone like Rio-Blast, Tuskador, or Perfuma (no offense to anyone who wants those characters--I hope they get made!).
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Dekker is one that I passed on, but I didn't have a sub in 2012. If I had I may have kept him. I like the concept/story of the character, but the design was a bit underwhelming to me.

As far as the "faction wars", especially where PoP is concerned, it really is getting tiresome to keep seeing threads degenerate into this crap. Based upon data, be it sell out times, various fan polls (I don't believe any PoP character was over 30 on the recent poll Scorpia did) or even Org polls as revealed on a recent Roast Gooble, there is strong following for PoP and She-ra. Maybe it is not everyone, but it is strong enough to warrent their inclusion in the line. People can put their heads in the sand all they want, but the fact is PoP IS in the line and WILL continue to be in the line.

PoP has had a rough way to go in this line. First it has to overcome the conditioned stimuli that many likely carry from childhood that these are girls toys and if I play with them I will get made fun of at school. Then some of the character choices have been poor. giving "C and D-listers" before A and B-listers has not helped generate a lot of excitement. Finally, design choices and mistakes have haunted PoP. Frosta's foreamrs, Netossa's lack of accessories, the Star Sisters color choices not making PoP or non PoP fans happy, Adora's leotard/diaper, etc etc.

Yet despite all of these things PoP still has a following and a strong one at that. It has fans that have patiently waited for Glimmers and Queen Angella's year after year. And have supported the line as well, because how often do you hear a PoP fan say "I hate MOTU, Vintage and He-man"? I don't hear it that often.

Bottom line, we are way past the point where PoP's validity in MOTUC can be debated. It is here, it has been here, it will be here, get over it.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Dekker had a thread. May 29, 2009. You know how far back that was? Zodac came out that month. Hordak would have been the following month.

He might not have been a particularly big character or was pushed by a hardcore fan of his, but he was wanted.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress Ninjor Tung Lashor Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Mermista Evilseed (MYP)

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    Back in the old days, 1995, I collected Spawn figures... Often the more sought after figures were the female characters.
    Nice, your bringing back memories!

I picked up some Spawn toys back in the day as well. Can't remember the exact year, but Manga Spawn came out, and Angela (sp? the angel lady) was a particularly sought after character by then. I didn't read the book any longer, but was just starting to collect action figures, and didn't have a focus. I bought Star Wars and Marvel a decent bit too, and have sold most everything from that now.

Anyways, Angela might have been short-packed or whatever they do because companies don't think they can sell girls to boys, but I think I liked her mainly because she was a badarse!

That's why I like Octavia and Shadow weaver, and would probably be okay with Scorpia. Catra's okay too. I don't know how they could make the rebellion a little tougher, but that (for me, I'm probably in the tiny minority) would make them better and fit more. I have no idea how to make that fit though.

I dig the cartoon. I didn't watch it when I was younger, but own all the disks now. I did pick up the Horde that were sitting over in the MotU line, but I didn't really know the PoP figures existed, that I remember. When I started focusing my collection down to a couple of things, I got all of the MotU figures loose pretty quick. And also Kowl. Always liked that guy. But none of the PoP figures excited me, for the differences in esthetics that are obvious. And the combs and brushes. Not because I'm all testosteroned up, but because they just look lame, to me, no offense, well out of place to be nicer.

I would definitely welcome any of the female characters from the Filmation+at least slightly evil genre, and that well extends into the PoP cartoon. I would see these as nice wins to a lot of people. I can't think of them off the top of my head, but there are some pretty awesome characters that fit the bill.

There's just something that doesn't look right when I try to add a standard rebellion figure to my display. They are nice figures for the most part, but they remind me of Sailormoon in a way. If you're a fan, you can name them all and tell them apart, otherwise they might as well be the same character in different colors, but really basically the same thing.

That's just some insight to why I'm oddly not overly enthusiastic about He-Man related stuff in the months we only get one of these figures. It's not to put them down. I know all it takes is a past association with them, or something to make a connection, and I'm just missing it.

Oddly enough, one or two of the Star Sisters looked better than every PoP fig other than She-Ra and Adora. And I don't think they're great, but I do have that connection with them. I remember them well from the (toon) movie, and I probably saw the show at least a few times and they were of course there, unlike the other characters. I don't display the Star Sisters, and hate that I had to buy six figures that month that I wouldn't display, but they, to me, are at least original enough to hold there own compared to Frosta and Netossa, who seem very generic.

I don't know if that helps or just makes people more angry, but the lack of a connection, a look across the figures that starts to blend, and still looking too closely to the dolls, are what turn me off. Again, just insight.

Double Trouble might also be interesting to see. They could make her with a little attitude, right?
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

Someone big will be revealed?

It will be Battleground Spector!

I don't know exactly where I'd rank him, but A LOT higher than 200! I've wanted him since 200X and love the figure we got!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisto69 View Post
    I just wish that POP characters would receive detail wise the same treatment that the rest of the line is getting. For instance with vintage figures you have mostly vintage character with some aspect of their more detailed 200x character thrown in. i.e. Webstor or Fisto and i think for the most part both the characters were highly praised for their design.

However, POP never had the 200x treatment and unfortunately, in my opinion, those extras aren't even thought of in the classics line. We simply get a direct filmation translation of the figure. Understandably the filmation characters have less detail because the artist does not want to have to draw such detailed characters over and over and over again. However that lack of detail when translated to figure form looks "flat", for lack of a better word, when compared to other MOTUC characters.

If i cringe when i hear constant pressing for a character like Glimmer it is only because i know it will be a more Filmation oriented Glimmer. Look at Clamp Champ he has tons of detail on his new armor that was at one time a repaint of Fisto's armor. Fisto gets a belt with a book sculpted into it, a book! Frosta, Tallstar do not get that treatment. While i love the Four horsemen’s work, and i do, it does seem unfair that POP characters are being sculpted as they are, compared to the rest of the line. And I may be wrong, but perhaps POP characters would win more supporters if they were given the extra flare that other characters receive. Look at the details on the Teela figure compared to Adora, I mean yes Battle Ground Teela isn't all that detailed but she does have a "sex appeal" which in my opinion wouldn't hurt POP at all either. So if I want characters like Mermista or Peakablue over the Great Rebellion leader, it is because if things remain the same, their Filmation counterparts are more detailed then Queen Angela's daughter.
    Yeah, I wish the POP characters would have had some reinvention or innovation like the Vintage characters had gotten (i.e., Man-At-Arm's weapons on his back or Scareglow's reliquary. If Netossa was a Vintage MOTU character she would have had her alternate head, cross sell sword AND a new weapon.

I continue to have this suspicious feeling that there is a lack of enthusiasm when it comes to making POP figures. Frosta's many design issues (darker blue hair, unpainted back piece, gray paint instead of white) and Netossa's lack of accessories seem to be proof of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    As far as the "faction wars", especially where PoP is concerned, it really is getting tiresome to keep seeing threads degenerate into this crap. Based upon data, be it sell out times, various fan polls (I don't believe any PoP character was over 30 on the recent poll Scorpia did) or even Org polls as revealed on a recent Roast Gooble, there is strong following for PoP and She-ra. Maybe it is not everyone, but it is strong enough to warrent their inclusion in the line. People can put their heads in the sand all they want, but the fact is PoP IS in the line and WILL continue to be in the line.

PoP has had a rough way to go in this line. First it has to overcome the conditioned stimuli that many likely carry from childhood that these are girls toys and if I play with them I will get made fun of at school. Then some of the character choices have been poor. giving "C and D-listers" before A and B-listers has not helped generate a lot of excitement. Finally, design choices and mistakes have haunted PoP. Frosta's foreamrs, Netossa's lack of accessories, the Star Sisters color choices not making PoP or non PoP fans happy, Adora's leotard/diaper, etc etc.

Yet despite all of these things PoP still has a following and a strong one at that. It has fans that have patiently waited for Glimmers and Queen Angella's year after year. And have supported the line as well, because how often do you hear a PoP fan say "I hate MOTU, Vintage and He-man"? I don't hear it that often.

Bottom line, we are way past the point where PoP's validity in MOTUC can be debated. It is here, it has been here, it will be here, get over it.
    Great post.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress Ninjor Tung Lashor Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Mermista Evilseed (MYP)

I like all incarnations of MOTU and MOTUC. Saying that, I have no ill will. I think part of the issue with POP is there is not enough monsters! The Horde of course, but they are generally well liked, but most of the GR are just humans. Why didnt the GR have more aliens or monsters in their ranks? I think that would attract the boys better, although, we seem to be attracted to the pretty girls in real life. Go figure?

People keep commenting on "faction wars", and POP bashing. One post even so kindly pointed out that POP are, indeed, included in the line (thank you, Captain Obvious)...I'm not assuming this is referring to some of my previous comments, but there was no "war", and no bashing of POP. I stated that I like POP, NA, Filmation....I'm a big fan of diversity and am very happy this line is all inclusive. However, I do take issue when there is a so called "top 10" list and someone skews it as 9 out of 10 of those figures are POP related. I made this very clear in my previous posts and am not going to repeat myself for the 20th time. Also, implying that sell out times are a gage as to popularity without knowing all the factors (production run, customer service stock..) is absurd. This method has been debunked many times over. You have no inside info. Not one of you. The only thing you know is what Scott tells you, just like the rest of us.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    I've been drinking the same juice as Orbles. I definitely like the variety in MotU. I don't know if it's specifically monsters, but they're a big part, and robots, and some sort of feature that made them what they are. Play features were very important. All this adds needed variety and interest.

Maybe Fisto69 is dead on. If they could play-up what makes these characters unique, without too far removing them from what they are, they could better carve their own place for themselves. I don't know what that is because I'm not overly knowledgable, but I'm sure there are tons of good ideas out there.

That's probably another reason I like Octavia and Shadow Weaver so much. I know MotU was well known for reusing parts, but they were a little more clever about it than just repainting the same figure. Though my nieces love the Lego Friends series, and they all fit the new mini figure type just with different colors, but they know just who who each person is. I bet they could quickly tell if I just swapped out a face on two of them. Girls maybe just wanted it to be a bunch of friends hanging out, and I do remember that being pretty was important to many young girls. So, monsters were bad I guess.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    God dammit, I was trying to avoid Era Wars since I've been over them for a while now but you guys are sucking me back in...

See, this is the type of question and discussion that makes this board worth returning to!

Honestly, Dekker's never been in my Top 10 or anything. That being said, I love the history and interpersonal relationship that he adds to the Duncan character--a character, I might add, that is indisputably important and essential, but whom I nonetheless always had difficulty relating to because he seemed kind of one-dimension (both in the minicomics and the Filmation series). Thus, it's not so much that Dekker is directly important to me in the grand scheme of things, but rather that I view his character as important because he helps me better relate to an essential character. Also, there's a whole host of original MOTU characters that, for me, are trumped by Dekker, owing to his characterization and abilities (or rather, his lack thereof--he's just an ordinary guy, kickin' some evil ass). I would happily take Dekker long before someone like Rio-Blast, Tuskador, or Perfuma (no offense to anyone who wants those characters--I hope they get made!).
    LOL, I read this thread! Stop lying! You'd much rather have any/all PoP before Dekker!

and....No Rio we riot!!!

I'd take Dekker over Tuskador though. That figure would be awful imo! I'm satisfied with Snout Spout.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Dekker had a thread. May 29, 2009. You know how far back that was? Zodac came out that month. Hordak would have been the following month.

He might not have been a particularly big character or was pushed by a hardcore fan of his, but he was wanted.
    And the only reason that thread started was because "Dekker" was mentioned in Man-At-Arms bio. That after his name is the reason anyone even considered him being a potential figure.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Until...Monster High. Although they are still pretty beautiful girls, for being monsters. My daughter is into them and knows them all by name. Now I am getting into them too. I wish I had gotten into them sooner. Those damn things are expensive and I cant afford some of the older ones. Or the SDCC one. Sorry for the diversion.

I'd take Dekker over Tuskador though. That figure would be awful imo! I'm satisfied with Snout Spout.
    Enough with faction wars let the Pachyderm wars begin! Tuskador Rules!!! and yes No Rio we Riot!

Heroic Warrior
    YAY for Era Wars™!

I like anything from the 80s including both MOTU & POP, DEFINITELY Filmation, Mini Comics, whatever! I'm even accepting of the few New Adventures characters we've gotten so far and those was the darkest days of MOTU in my lifelong fandom of it.

I'm cool with some 200x too, but not much. There aren't many NEW characters that I want from that era. I think certain variants are more important than any of the new characters from 200x. Like who the hell wanted a Dekker figure? Anyone?!
    Era Wars and I have nothing to say

I got this thing right, Frightmare likes all POP but says, that vintage MOTU is more demanded? I can live with that

Seriously, Tung Lashor, Mantenna, Horde Trooper and Modulok belong to MOTU for me, not to POP. I saw the commercials back in the 80's and read the comics, mini comics and magazines with advertisements for the Evil Horde toys. There is no connection to She-Ra for me...
    Last edited by Berserker79; January 24, 2013 at 06:44pm.

Thank you Berserker79....right on the money!