Thread: Neat little piece of history I came across.

Hybrid View

Evil Master of Warcraft

Neat little piece of history I came across.

Ironically enough, I came across this on MLK Jr's birthday. I am the corporate environmental consultant for Greyhound Bus Lines. About a year ago they moved locations in Memphis, TN and we are going to tear down the old building and do some soil/water remediation. Anyways, I was there this past week doing some drilling. I went looking around in the basement and came across this old bathroom door. They tried to cover it up but it says "White Women". You can see where they tried to cover it up. They had built a wall like structure with that metal grate, in a way I guess that grate protected the door. The building I think has been there since the 1940s. Back during segregation of course white and black people had to use different water fountains, bathrooms, etc. The whole thing baffles me and it is hard to believe what used to go on. Seeing this door really gave me an odd feeling.

Photo Jan 21, 2 57 52 PM.jpg
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

I can imagine. You hear and read about this stuff historically but when it's in your face like this, it's unsettling, the reality of it manifests. Sadly there are still working reminders about these things that still happen today not just historical artifacts. but nevermind that for this thread.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

On a serious note: That really is a sobering reminder of how recently these elements of our history happened. For those of us born in the 70 and 80s it sometimes seems unreal to think that these things ever happened, but when we think outside of ourselves for a bit there are still so many signs like these, both physical and those written on the hearts of our elders around us, that tell us the full, true story.

On a comical note: I suppose this answers the question, "Where the white women at?"
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Master of New Adventures!
    A fascinating find. I think it should be placed in a museum as a reminder...lest we ever forget.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

George Santayana

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Though it's a darker reminder, it's a pretty neat find.

I used to work in a Woolworth's, years ago, one that had been extensively remodeled, and I was tasked with cleaning out some storage areas once. I found a door built into the wall, and when I got it open, I found the old lunch counter, closed for decades...it had basically been walled-over. It was filthy - covered in dust and long since disused, but it was really a sight to see. Your post made me think of that, in the context of the sit-ins that happened in other places, but also how much I love when people uncover little bits of history hidden just below the surface.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    On a serious note: That really is a sobering reminder of how recently these elements of our history happened. For those of us born in the 70 and 80s it sometimes seems unreal to think that these things ever happened, but when we think outside of ourselves for a bit there are still so many signs like these, both physical and those written on the hearts of our elders around us, that tell us the full, true story.

On a comical note: I suppose this answers the question, "Where the white women at?"
    I was going to make a joke like that myself, something along the lines of the door belonging to tiger woods or some such, but I couldn't get the wording quite right.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure