Thread: If He-Man had a lightsaber...The Blade of Greyskull...a W.I.P. thread...

Widget

If He-Man had a lightsaber...The Blade of Greyskull...a W.I.P. thread...

This project has been in the works for well over a year. One day, I started to wonder what it would be like if He-Man had a saber-like weapon. Because it's not Star Wars, I am not going to refer to this as a "saber" but I feel the term "energy blade" fits the MOTU theme better.

Original concepts were tossed around, and it was a fellow FX-Sabers forum member who suggested the weapon ought to have an organic feel to it as opposed to being a completely aluminum based hilt. I felt this was perfect because I envisioned the blade being "born" within the walls of Castle Greyskull as opposed to the Sword of Power, which could have been forged by any blacksmith then endowed with the Castle's power. I wanted something that Prince Adam could used as an alternate weapon to transform into He-Man if the Sword of Power went missing or was stolen (which happened quite a few times in the original series).

Sabersmith Master Jehavo of FX-Sabers offered to take on the outer design of the hilt since we needed some sort of sculpting job to reflect Castle Greyskull on the weapon. Here is the original design:

I liked it instantly, and started hunting for claws, which were kindly provided by another forum member. Master Sabersmith LDM (GENERAL GRIEVOUS of FX-Sabers) handled the main hilt machining, and then it was sent off to Master Jehavo who recently completed the sculpting.

It looked great, but I felt the lower half needed something extra. I tossed around the ideas of a leather wrap, or shroud (seemed kinda 'meh' as I thought about it more) and someone suggested a wire wrap of some sort (which actually fit the theme pretty well since lighting courses through the weapon when Adam transforms). But Master Jehavo suggested one of his custom "bone" sleeves and that I felt, was exactly what the weapon needed for completion. He weathered the "bone" portion and here are some pics.

Electronics are going to be a Plecterlabs Petit Crouton. 2.0 soundboard with the soundfont "He-Man" made by Novastar. I am thinking a white blade would look best based on a few instances where Man-At-Arms wielded a saber-like weapon in the series.

More to come soon.

This is a pretty fun idea and very well executed! It really makes me wish I had a lathe. Can't wait for more pics!

Snappy Threader
    Yeah looks very cool. Great idea...

LOVE THIS. This is very VERY cool!
    See ALL of my customs (tons of He-Man, Transformers, JLU, TNBX, Flash Gordon, and more in one organized Gallery):
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery....php?cat=10006

ALL OF MY HEMAN CUSTOMS ARE HERE:
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery...s.php?album=18

Widget
    Thanks folks.

The hilt arrived last week and I started work on it tonight. Got the main LED and switch wired up and installed. Next is the auxiliary switch and I need to order a smaller speaker to fit inside the hilt as the ones I have are a bit big.

I decided to change the blade color to red because it looks a little more ominous than white. What say you?

this is sweet! red does look more ominous, truthfully i didn't like the idea of a white blade. i personally would prefer green or blue, but that's just me.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Widget
    Finished

After nearly a year and a half of conception to finish, I am proud to present "The Blade of Grayskull". This is truly what I feel would be the secondary weapon that He-Man could use if the Sword of Power was ever lost or stolen. Prince Adam could use it to transform to He-Man at will, and like the Sword of Power, the Blade would have the same abilities as able to absorb energy, deflect magic and virtually be indestructible. Naturally it could also cut through things that the Sword of Power could not.

The Soundboard is a Plecterlabs Petit Crouton. 2.0 with Novastar’s He-Man font
    The main blade LED is Tri-Rebel Red/Red/White with Flash on Clash
    7.4V Lithium Ion battery with in hilt recharge (the battery is not removed for recharging, just plugged into a charger)
    2W mini speaker from The Custom Saber Shop

Video

A weird crossover but I like it alot.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.