Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Masters of the Universe to you???

What is Masters of the Universe to you???

My Masters world is strictly based off the Motu toyline between 1982-1987 minus the royal family.I owned Adam and Orko but they rarely played a part in my universe.So basically a bunch of men,robots and monsters wearing furry underwear battling each other.I didn't realize all the different incarnations of He-man till later.It seems like it was essential to have all these properties as it has widened the fan base substancially.

watched the cartoon, begged for a few toys and got just a few! but to me it's everything He-man and She-ra related!!!! and I'm still learning about all this "vintage" vs. "filmation" vs. blah blah blah but to me it's all one. and p.s. I love these toys! and you could easily say that I'm quite obsessed now lol

To me, Masters of the Universe is Filmation and MYP. It's a story of a young man who is granted magical powers to do good. Anything under the banner of Masters of the Universe (including Princess of Power and New Adventures) is fine to me, as long as it if ultimately about pure heroes fighting against evil.

Filmation, comics and everything else. Mainly Filmation, though. That includes POP, as well. New Adventures is MOTU to me, too.

I grew up just on Filmation and the MOTU toys. Then when 200X came out, I loved that toon! I jumped into those figures. Then when MOTUC came out, I was just a tad slow missing on KG, but started with He-Man. Knowing that all factions would be involved in this line, I started watching She-Ra and tried watching some of the NA. I started getting into the NA toys, they have really grown on me. Now I look at MOTU as being an all encompassing universe and enjoy the way MOTUC is bringing them all together. I esp liked the last comic and how that helped explain things.

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    MOTU to me was a big part of my childhood. MOTUC is the opportunity to recapture that at an affordable price, and a second chance to own characters that I didn't have or didn't exist first time around.

--1981-1984 vintage/minicomics
    --MYP
    --And some aspects of PoG, amazingly. I used to hate it, and I think some of the original concepts are still pretty bad, but I'm much more interested in characters from Eternia's past--not necessarily just PoG--due to the cool concept figures. In fact that will be one of my main wants after Ram Man and Jitsu-..."He-Men" of the past, their enemies, etc.

I like a few other odds and ends--a few NA/30th characters, but none are essential for me.

I was born in '82. He-Man was huge growing up. My love stems first from the toys, then Filmation & mini comics. For me it's all about the characters. Thats it. I love them, be it toys, toons, comics whatever. Filmation, 200x or NA it's all stories about what I love. Sure they are all different, but they are the same too. I love the movie, PoP & everything else. SoH era is going to test that love though.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

Filmation (and that includes POP, even though I have yet to watch a single episode), that is really all I care about. Then the toyline, but only the ones I had as a kid. Not so much any of the comics, just the toys. MOTUC is a great way for me to get all my Vintage used to haves, and build a collection of never would have had figures like POP and some 200X Vintage interpretations, like the new parts for Stinkor which I prefer over the Vintage Stinkor look. While I don't like the 200X toy line, I don't mind seeing hints of the looks in Classics, especially if it is really cool looking. But NA is a NO go for me.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Great thread!

To me, Masters of the Universe is my favorite toyline of all-time. Like Clawful Ofit, I was born in 1982 as well, so it's been with me as far as I can remember. My earliest memories are tied in with getting the toys or watching the cartoon. I remember almost every figure, vehicle, or playset I got, what happened, who took me to the store or who gave it to me. My older sister had the Princess of Power toys, and we truly had the entire universe to play with. Just wonderful wonderful memories. Masters of the Universe Classics is the reminder of how much I love it, and a great celebration of the best toyline ever.

The original toyline and later NA. Never watched the Filmation cartoon as a kid. Do not care for it now. Did not care much for POP as a kid. Do not care for it now. I prefer the original minicomics storyline but quite like the wackier later designs with more sci-fi and cyborg elements that might not fit into the original more sword and sorcery centred storyline. Not a big fan of the whole Adam and royal family concept. I really like NA as a cool Sci-Fi only toyline with a familiar character at the centre but can understand when people think it is not He-Man to them.
    Master of the Universe was probably my third or fourth favorite toyline when I was a kid.
    Last edited by hauke; January 25, 2013 at 09:53pm.
    Wanna see whales in giant mechsuits protect mankind against evil aliens?
    Check out: http://mechawhales.com/

Collectible figures available from: http://www.deepfriedfigures.com/

My 3D printed action figures: http://www.hauke-scheer.de/

MOTU to me was the single biggest part of my childhood, 90% of my childhood memories revolve around MOTU somehow.

I was into it all, the toys, the toon, the comics, everything. I watched She-Ra as much as I watched He-Man, if not more, so all the characters from the 'toon resonate with me. However as a boy I didn't collect any POP toys other than She-Ra herself, so any characters that weren't featured heavily in the toon, such as Netossa, have no nostalgic value to me.
    I started to collect the NA toys too and loved the bad guys' designs but as the toon barely seemed to be shown on TV my interest faded.

I collected the 200X line but I could never really get into the MYP toon as I didn't like the style, so characters introduced then I have little connection with.

When it comes to MOTUC, the figures I tend to love most are the ones with the most nostalgic value... I mean that's why 97% of us collect this line right, to reconnect with the pure enjoyment these characters brought us as children? So a lot of the blander/lesser known POP and NA and prototype figures don't really do it for me.

Without a doubt the single piece of MOTU lore that means the most to me is the Secret of the Sword. The merging of the two worlds, all of those characters coming together to form one big universe, that's what it's all about to me. And I love that this line encompasses everything under one roof.
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.facebook.com/lukespicerillustration

Serious bidness Ibentmyman-thing's Avatar
    Motu to me is unlimited potential and the purest example of the unfiltered power of imagination, with sword and sorcery and technology and cosmic epicness huge in scale and vast in inclusiveness, where the bizarre is normal and cyborgs fighting robots fighting barbarians is an everyday occurrence. It's a concept where everything "goes to 11" and there's room for anything and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibentmyman-thing View Post
    Motu to me is unlimited potential and the purest example of the unfiltered power of imagination, with sword and sorcery and technology and cosmic epicness huge in scale and vast in inclusiveness, where the bizarre is normal and cyborgs fighting robots fighting barbarians is an everyday occurrence. It's a concept where everything "goes to 11" and there's room for anything and everything.
    Fantastic.

Heroic Warrior
    Vintage line with mini comics and cartoon...

To me MOTU is a whole Mythos. Like the DC universe. It all comes together and makes sense. The mini comics, the filmation cartoons, POP, the NA stuff in the future, even some concept. It all just ties together into one big universe. That's what I love about it.

You have He-Man, guardian of Eternia, and then She-Ra for Etheria, the Horde, the Snakemen, Skeletor's crew, Teela destined to become the Sorceress, and the Dare stuff, and the clouded history of the He-men of the past. It all comes to a head with He-Man, She-Ra, Skeletor, and Teela. MOTU to me is just that, a UNIVERSE.

For me it all stems from the Filmation cartoon series. I loved both He-Man and She-Ra cartoons. I had a few of the toys when I was a kid but not a ton. Later on I loved the MYP series and its line of toys. I never had any exposure to the mini-comics when I was a kid, and I didnt know that NA even existed until a couple of years ago. I still really love the Filmation cartoons, but I appreciate the more mature attitude the comics, and the MYP series offer.

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    MOTU is many different things to me. When I think of MOTU I think first of childhood and that was mainly the figures, cartoon and the comics. My best friend and I used to call each other while we watched MOTU and we'd talk about how awesome He-man was. Another kid down the street seemed to have every single figure and I was so jealous. He left his He-man at my house on accident one day. Due the nature of my dad's job, we could move at any time. One day after school I came home and my house was empty. My parents packed my friends He-man and I didn't see He-man again until about 3 weeks later. I still have that He-man figure right here on my shelf!

My first He-man 1983.jpg

My mom hated the whole sword and magic theme so she wouldn't get me any of these figures at first. My grandma bought me my first He-man from the store for Christmas. I spent the first year of He-man wanting the figures but playing with everyone elses. The ones I did get were like gold to me. I took the card backs and actually cut out the figures on the back for my figures. I was going through things in the attic the other day and actually found one. Mid way through MOTU's second season, I started to get several more figures but I was never allowed to have the bad guys. Maybe that's why I absolutely love Skeletor to this day.

MOTU opened my imagination. It intrigued me and fascinated me. And I have to say it inspired me and transported me into a realm where I could be a kid but be powerful and strong. We all wanted to be He-man but many of us including myself were as clumsy as Prince Adam at 6 years of age but somehow, some way for 30 minutes every time MOTU came on TV I could be him. I could escape the confines and limitations of childhood and be a strong hero with great power. I could be all powerful and take on the world even if I was just a little kid. To me MOTU was freeing. It motivated me to be strong, couragous and brave. In He-man I had a hero and a friend. Today I have every single one of those vintage action figures and every playset and vehicle too. I have every Classic release since 2008 and I'm going to add on as the new ones come in. While I have allowed things like MYP and NA to expand my canon to some degree, MOTU will always be those comics, cartoons and first figures!
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

First and foremost: TOYS. Always toys. They were some of the first toys in my little hands (and sadly, in my mouth. I hope they tasted good). I still remember randomly battling and trashing Castle Grayskull (loved how the floors could be removed) without much thought to who the characters were. Before I could read, I would flip through the old minicomics and imagine what was going on given the pictures. Then of course, there's the toon, though I mostly remember sounds and certain images (like the robot He-Man's face coming off and scaring the crap outta me 'cause I didn't understand it). So mainly the most visceral images I get for MotU is those early formative years, making stories and flipping through those minicomics. That goes a long way toward making MotU what it is for me.

Of course, times change. I still consider it what it was when I was so young, but it grew with me. The toon eventually left the air without me remembering much of it, so I was left with the minicomics I could now read. That was another thing that continued the story - and the mystery - for me (I mean, there was just no explaination as to why Teela was "The Goddess" back then. Ya know, no internet to look that stuff up). I loved how it almost felt obscure as I went into the 90's, and YEAH...New Adventures hit me in just the right way. It wasn't really in the public eye as much, but I caught wind of the new He-Man pretty quick, and I loved it. Just like the old days, I had grabbed He-man and Skeletor (thanks mom!) and went to work on those minicomics - OH MAN, so awesome. Skeletor friggin' gets blasted and rips into himself with cybernetics, He-Man becomes He-Man for good (which was sorta how he always was with me) and sweet sweet translucent plastic; the sword was awesome! He-Man followed me into the 90's!

...and then he died again. I was never able to catch the toon for one reason or another, so yet again the toyline and minicomics stuck with me, and those NA figures were my main He-Man guys for a good while. Needless to say, I have been forming my own He-Man story in the back of my mind since as far back as I can remember! That's another big part of what it is to me...it's like the most classic and simple story I can remember. Good VS evil, ancient powers and mysteries long forgotten. These things formed my general interests in fiction.

So I guess what it is to me is the spark for my love of toys and what they can do; stories and what they can do, and all the things that made childhood so great. It's an easy door back to simpler times. It's a way to relax, but it's always a way for me to tap into that younger self and ask him what I should do when everything gets too complicated: Make something up.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior
    It is my childhood... in other words it is absolutely priceless.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Without a doubt the Filmation show was the center of my childhood for many years. During which the vintage toys were just a three-dimensional representation of everything I loved on the small screen every afternoon. An epic mixture of everything that is awesome, and nothing that is not!

Star Wars + Conan + Lou Scheimer = Masters of the Universe!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

To me masters is the original MOTU toyline (minus twistoids, meteorbs, and laser lights....sorry) and the Filmation Cartoons with the MOTU movie thrown in for good measure. That was my childhood and that was all I knew untill coming here. Now my universe has expanded to include MYP's stories but I prefer vintage and Filmation designs.

Being born in 1974 I was 8 years old in 1982... I vaguely remember playing with the figures before the cartoon came out with my cousin at his house who had them all. I remember being fascinated with them and the different characters. When I got figures of my own I remember reading the mini comics with awe! They were such awesome stories!!!

Filmation is first and foremost my most solid memory of He-Man and I was a He-Man addict. My mother got me all the figures, vehicles and playsets (even Eternia which pieces of are still in my mothers basement but sadly are ruined). I was spoiled with this line and it (along with Thundercats and Smurfs) was the most important cartoon/toyline in my childhood. In fact I remember as I got older (before I knew people had collecting figures MOC) that I wished my figures were new and not so beat up... I remember telling my mother sometime arounf 87/88 that I wanted to get all the figures again but keep them in the boxes - she though I as nuts but obliged... This led to us searching high and low for MOTU figures... But sadly all we could find was clearanced movie figures, Sorceresses or Randors. So I gave up - BUT saw TMNT figures in my search and started collecting them instead... As a result I have a near complete collection of MOC TMNT (minus Scratch - who we could never find - but I do have Hot Spot).

As far as POP goes I remember having a birthday party with all my friends and we all went and saw the Secret of the Sword on the big screen! I almost had a heart attack when I saw Adora change to She-Ra for the first time. Needless to say I was a POP fan too from the beginning... I loved the Horde and the way Filmation depicted them. I also had all the core She-Ra figures despite my father's protest to my mother.

By the time NA came out I was at an age that I wasn't paying much attention - but I do remember trying to watch it but feeling it was too different for me to accept it... So I didn't watch it.

Then in 2002 after the long drought I became a MOTU fanboy again collecting all the figures and loving the cartoon and the more serialized nature of the series. Though I loved the execution of the series I did not like the change in the Sorceress and that still bothers me to this day. But all in all it was a GREAT relaunch - I was majorly ****** when it was cancelled.

So everything above is Master of the Universe to me. When MOTUC came out I LOVED (LOVED) the way Mattel decided to weave all incarnations into one solid continuity (including new stuff) - it brought legitimacy to all versions including New Adventures which I have come to really enjoy how they have convincingly merged into the He-Man mythos!

I guess when I as a kid I wished for more figures. Wished for Horde members that were never released. Wished for She-Ra figures that were not girl dolls. Wished for more when it ultimately ended... Then wished for more all over again in 2002 only to be dismayed when it was cancelled...

That's why this line is so amazing... *FOR ME* it is the complete realization in all I have ever wanted (or could possibly have ever dreamed to want - Matty flubs and all) for the He-Man universe...

Imagine if somehow I could attain a DeLorean or a Cosmic Key and travel back to 1986 to show myself what the future of He-Man would behold - This is how I feel right now - I am that kid in the past experiencing this line right now and its limitless (hopefully) potential.

I have said it before and I will say it again - this line is like lightening in a bottle... The purists, naysayers and nitpickers may criticize, bash and de-legitimatize this toyline, but many know It WILL only happen once - this great experiment will never occur again and people will pine for it long after it has ended...

Let's hope it is as complete as it can be...

To answer the original poster's question:

Masters of the Universe Classics and it's canon is Masters of the Universe to me.
    Last edited by AuraBoyX; January 26, 2013 at 09:21am.

The toys and the cartoons where what molded MOTU in my childhood... (mostly Filmation). So yes, She-Ra is just Chapter 3 of my MOTU, while NA is chapter 4. 200X is basically Ultimate Universe retelling of Chapter 1 and a new chapter 2. MOTUC is similar to the Crazy Crossover videogame where all the characters can duke it out (with some secret characters from the game company shoved in)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Clawful Ofit View Post
    I was born in '82. He-Man was huge growing up. My love stems first from the toys, then Filmation & mini comics. For me it's all about the characters. Thats it. I love them, be it toys, toons, comics whatever. Filmation, 200x or NA it's all stories about what I love. Sure they are all different, but they are the same too. I love the movie, PoP & everything else. SoH era is going to test that love though.
    Now this is a post of the week nominee, no doubt about it.....

I have to agree with my buddy here. I love all incarnations. MOTU, POP, NA, 200X, DC Comics (old and new), mini-comics, books, toys, basically anything and everything that has ever been a part of MOTU...I love. The SoH era stuff though, I am on the fence about, only becasue it's hard to fathom the torch being passed from our beloved heroes to a new age of MOTU.