Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WWE Gauging Fan Interest In Another Animated Program such as HE-MAN !!

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    No thanks, like everyone else all for an animated movie but not tied in with WWE. It would most likely be too silly of a storyline and could be worse for motu. Lets just wait for the real movie and get the toys to retail to guage interest in motu.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    No. No. And No.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Robot Knights 2) Stridor 3) Night Stalker 4) Tung Lashor 5) Squeeeze 6) Lizard Man 7) Roton 8) Multi-Bot 9) Ninjor 10) Dragstor 11) Saurod 12) Blast-Attak 13) Karg 14) Gwildor 15) Lodar 16) Mask of Power Demons 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Oh god no. I do not want The Rock voicing any character, especially He-Man. Next thing you know, Skeletor will be saying, "You can't stop the 3:16 He-Man."
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior
    Wow...what weird negative responses. You all make it seem like the WWE wrestlers, if they were in an animated MOTU movie, would have key roles in the film. I think that in 2013, a MOTU animated movie that involved our beloved Eternian characters coming to Earth and having run ins with WWE superstars would have to be 10 times better the 1987 live action film. People don't mind crossovers that pit MOTU characters up against DC (or Marvel) characters, and these super heroes walk amongst regular earthlings everyday. A Justice League/WWE movie wouldn't be no different, except you don't have to create a contrived plot of getting the character together because they already live in the same planet. Same country too, I think (Is Metropolis and Gotham City a part of the USA?) I think this movie helps He-Man a lot, plus you all forget that this animated will not be targeted to us, necessarily, but to kids. With WWE being in the PG era and kids being huge fans of wrestling, this is a great strategic move to get He-Man buzzing with kids. And it just makes sense business wise with Mattel and WWE working together with their properties the same way Mattel and DC Comics/Warner collaborate. It boggles my mind that every time some new venture is announced to put He-Man back into the mainstream spotlight, you have "fans" ready to chop it down. It makes me wonder sometimes if people to hold He-Man back because they want to keep him for themselves and not share him with the rest of the world. And by the way, I am not a WWE fan, but I am a pro wrestling fan.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Not really feeling this. I would love a new cartoon, just not a crossover with WWF stars.
    This is all that needs to be said.

Heroic Warrior StraightEdgeHe-Man's Avatar
    I think you guys are reading this wrong, the MOTU animation wouldn't be a crossover, it would just have some wrestlers as voice actors. And I'm not sure but it sounds like its the same thing for Scooby. I can't say that that would be good or not but anything is good for the brand
    10 Most Wanted MOTUC's: Ninjor, Quake, Squeeze, MYP King Mero, Sagitar, Dragstor, Snake Armor He-man, Phravus, Filmation's Garth (post transformation), Angella

Heroic Warrior
    With the Scooby Doo movie, the WWE wrestlers voice their animated selves, as Scooby and Mystery Inc try to solve a case taking place at Wrestlemania. But with a He-man cartoon, it could just be WWE taking part in distributing/marketing the movie under their WWE Films logo.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    Wow...what weird negative responses. You all make it seem like the WWE wrestlers, if they were in an animated MOTU movie, would have key roles in the film. I think that in 2013, a MOTU animated movie that involved our beloved Eternian characters coming to Earth and having run ins with WWE superstars would have to be 10 times better the 1987 live action film. People don't mind crossovers that pit MOTU characters up against DC (or Marvel) characters, and these super heroes walk amongst regular earthlings everyday. A Justice League/WWE movie wouldn't be no different, except you don't have to create a contrived plot of getting the character together because they already live in the same planet. Same country too, I think (Is Metropolis and Gotham City a part of the USA?) I think this movie helps He-Man a lot, plus you all forget that this animated will not be targeted to us, necessarily, but to kids. With WWE being in the PG era and kids being huge fans of wrestling, this is a great strategic move to get He-Man buzzing with kids. And it just makes sense business wise with Mattel and WWE working together with their properties the same way Mattel and DC Comics/Warner collaborate. It boggles my mind that every time some new venture is announced to put He-Man back into the mainstream spotlight, you have "fans" ready to chop it down. It makes me wonder sometimes if people to hold He-Man back because they want to keep him for themselves and not share him with the rest of the world. And by the way, I am not a WWE fan, but I am a pro wrestling fan.
    I think some fans would rather keep a brand in obscurity rather than be tarnished by something mainstream.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    it's funny though, because I was a fan of He-Man as a kid 2 years prior to becoming a WWF fan, but I know as a kid, my liking for guys like Hulk Hogan and Junkyard Dog and etc was related to my love of the unique characters of MOTU

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think some fans would rather keep a brand in obscurity rather than be tarnished by something mainstream.
    Great point. That's why I really have a hard time accepting people when they say they don't want the new movie from Sony Pictures to ever see the light of day, because they fear that it might be rubbish. I personally find that weird. I don't want to get into a "true fan" debate, but one really has to wonder whether or not people who genuinely believe that are actually MOTU fans (not just toy fans, but fans of the MOTU world, mythology and everything that goes with it), or just people who desperately want it to be 1985 forever.
    Last edited by Krueger; January 26, 2013 at 12:25pm.

When I first skimmed over the OP I assumed they meant that the WWE talent would essentially be doing the voices for the characters and I thought (reluctantly) to myself "I could live with that if it meant getting a new cartoon" but after going back and actually reading that they would want to combine the characters in the same world is absolutely ridiculous! That was one of the biggest let downs of the original movie for me in that it (predominantly) took place on earth and I definitely don't want to see that in a cartoon.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!! PLEASE NO!!! NO THANK YOU!!! NO WAY!!!

Scooby doo has for sure done this in the past. I could see mystery inc solving some issue at a local WWE ring match.

I am not opposed to or in support of this for He-man, it would depend on how it was done for me to say one way or another. I think if they picked a few wrestlers whose gimmicks could work, or make the wrestlers into MOTU style characters could also work as long as as they weren't too much into the limelight.

It would bring attention, but at the same time I think they would have to be smart about this. Most of the MOTU stuff in the limelight of recent years as been the remember the 80s stuff and Robot Chicken. Neither exactly negative or positive though.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I say if they want to include He-Man/MOTU in something new to expose it for a new generation, then I'm all for it! The characters have already been in cheesy Robot Chicken shorts, seen in a Met Life commercial, and a very brief cameo of Adam (voiced by John Erwin) on Family Guy. DVDs have been released and re-released, movie talk has been out for years, and people make commericals and music videos with their figures or animation cells on YouTube all over. With the toys coming out in Classics, letter openers (and the holder), Bobble Heads, online and retail comic books, and [still hoping for] possible Brawling Buddies, I see no reason why WWE couldn't do something really neat for He-Man.

I'm not a wrestling fan. I liked Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant as a kid and have friends who are Undertaker or Kane fans (as well as others). I grew up knowing WWF because I had an aunt who LOVED it and saw when it changed to WWE. I want to see He-Man and She-Ra get the exposure they need to be popular again so my goddaughter and her siblings, my friends' kids, and anyone else can get the MOTU/POP bug that we've had since we were kids. I want to see the brand/Universe expand and enjoy it all over again. Something new. Something MOTU. Could very well be something to blow our minds!

Always remember the quote: "There's no such thing as bad publicity...unless it's your obituary."
    Last edited by Mistico; January 27, 2013 at 09:42am.
    From my youth and hometown when I was a kid...He-Matt and the Masters of the Kunaverse!

My feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=214152
    My customs thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=215292
    My B/S/T thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ings-For-Sale!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightEdgeHe-Man View Post
    I think you guys are reading this wrong, the MOTU animation wouldn't be a crossover, it would just have some wrestlers as voice actors. And I'm not sure but it sounds like its the same thing for Scooby. I can't say that that would be good or not but anything is good for the brand
    No, I read it correctly and I said no. I don't want wrestler's voices in my cartoons. I want them to get REAL voice actors like they did with the 2002 series. You know, people like Gary Chalk, Patrick Seitz, Crispin Freeman, Steve Blum, Nolan North, David Kaye, etc.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    No, I read it correctly and I said no. I don't want wrestler's voices in my cartoons. I want them to get REAL voice actors like they did with the 2002 series. You know, people like Gary Chalk, Patrick Seitz, Crispin Freeman, Steve Blum, Nolan North, David Kaye, etc.
    Who? lol. Like WCW announcer Tony Schivonie said of Mick Foley/Mankind's WWE title win against the Rock, "that will put peoples' butts in seats". But it did, so my quote might be completely off-based. lol

Heroic Warrior ShowerPowerFrosta's Avatar
    I don't know. I can see this happening:

Skeletor: Tell me more about this "Wrestlemania."
    John Cena: Well, it's a wonderful time of the year. Everyone has lots of fun.
    Skeletor: You mean they get in fights?
    John Cena: Er, yes. Actually they do.
    Skeletor: Fights are fun. I like fights!

But no. I just don't imagine this being something I want to watch.

I'm totally for it! If new media prompts Mattel to allocate more resources into MOTUC, then go for it. WWE is currently more into PG entertainment for kids (More like the campy Rock N' Wrestling era than the Attitude Era) which is a great target audience to be introduced to MOTU. We, as nostalgic fans, need to be willing to let the franchise go into new directions in order for it to evolve and survive. I feel that the Bayformers movies are a good example of this...I didn't care for the movies so much but look what they did for getting so many TF toys back in stores!

Besides, what's the big deal? He-Man already fought against John Cena before...

im a huge fan of both but He-man alone or Nothing plez

The only way I would want to see this is if they "remade" the Filmation look and it was done tongue-in-cheek. If the followed the vintage character designs, created ones on the Wrestlers along those same lines, and then did another 1-hour special with them traveling to Earth and vice-versa, it could be fun.

What I wouldn't want is for them to create a whole new look and cartoon "world" just for the sake of bringing in WWE.

A new MOTU cartoon would be great but teaming up with wrestlers? Ah hellllllll no.

If it's a crossover, no. I hate crossovers in general. Couple that with the fact I despise Earth even existing in MOTU makes it an easy no. It would be good exposure for the brand, just not my cup of tea. I haven't watched wrestling since Hornswaggle painted a hole in the wall, and ran through it to escape Carlito. Turned it off & never looked back. So I have no idea who most of them are, but if they "act" as well as John Cena I'm definitely out. Imagine him voicing Randor. "He-Man, Skeletor took a hostage...It's my WIFE!

I think the exposure would be good, but the execution bad. It won't affect me if it's made so I'm not against it being made.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

Evil Master of Dreams skeletor73's Avatar
    My gut reaction to this news is heck no! Stay far away from MOTU. Disney and The Muppets did some promotions with WWE not too long ago and let me tell you, I cannot think of two brands that do not mesh well together, more. I don't think I know any Muppet fans who watch wrestling and most wrestling fans think The Muppets are "kiddie fare". Serious marketing blunder.

With regard to MOTU. I think the bigger question is what would we be getting? A MYP styled cartoon? Filmation? Both of those have run their course and Filmation's style, while stylistically beautiful for the time, is bit too campy for 2013. For a studio to do either of those they would have to license the rights to the name and characters from Mattel, and likenesses of these older media from Mill Creek. I seriously doubt they would go that route (why pay twice for something?), ergo, (and of course this is only my speculation) we would be getting a whole new look for the animated MOTU characters. Sure, MetLife licensed "Filmation" He-man but that was a commercial to evoke nostalgia and not a feature length animated movie.

So, for the people who want this to happen, essentially you're hoping that WWE will help produce (pay for) a totally new-styled animated movie without a proper cartoon relaunch or re-branding for a new take on the characters? Instead we'd be getting a one-shot story with WWE wrestlers instead of a decent made-for-DVD original animated story. Seems rather weak to me and I think MOTU deserves better. I just don't see how people think this will invigorate the franchise and light a fire to get a new animated series? If they were to make it a series, it would be a spin-off of this movie, which would be a spin-off of a crossover. Very few networks are going to green light a series based on a one-off animated movie that was a cross over from two products to start with.

Just say they were to license the MYP or Filmation "look" for this project, while it might make some fans happy, it would have to be a one-off with no hope of becoming a regular series. No network is going to re-do a dead series with the exact same look that's already been cancelled years ago. Also, you better believe if WWE is producing this, the wrestlers in question will be more than just voice actor talent for existing MOTU characters. They need to be able to market and sell their brand as well, so that means logos, likenesses of wrestlers, and mentions of WWE and wrestling throughout the entire train-wreck of a project. 'Cause you know, what Eternia really needs is wrestlers!

In my opinion, a brand that has to piggy-back off another brand doesn't seem very strong. There are a few exceptions, Scooby-Doo has always done this successfully because all their characters (theoretically) live in the same world as the Harlem Globetrotter's or Don Knotts. Batman was a bit of a stretch but we're talking about a whole new era and cartoon series. I doubt DC would license it today as a crossover. At least, not with the gritty realism the movies and comics try to portray these days. Gone are the days of Batman "camp" that matches the zany antics of Scooby-Doo.

Some people will mention Filmation's Marlena was from earth as a tie-in, but that wasn't in every cannon and just how are they going to spin a crossover? "To thwart a Horde invasion, the Sorceress of Grayskull recruits wrestlers from earth (who have no real combat experience and roll around in a ring with each other for entertainment) to help He-man save his planet." Or maybe, "Skeletor finds his way through a magic portal and arrives on Earth. There he threatens to take over Congress (and hopefully balance the budget). With the help of earth's mightiest heroes (wait, a bunch of wrestlers are they best they can get?!?) He-man will save our universe from the evil Lord of Destruction". C'mon. It just doesn't work. It's as lame as the proposed sequel to the '87 film where Skeletor comes back to earth as an evil industrialist and He-man is disguised as a football player. If I want nostalgia, I have my DVD's of the old shows. If it means the difference of returning to popularity and having crappy crossover products just to be able to survive, no thanks. If I want crossovers I'll watch "KISS saves Santa".

And if it does come to fruition, (remember this was only a survey and doesn't mean they've even approached the owners of those properties for permission), Mattel BETTER NOT get mad when fans object and they whine "you didn't support MOTU" just because they created a crappy product that very few people wanted.

Edit - Perhaps this warrants a poll to get unbiased results. At last tally there were a lot more no's than yes'.
    Last edited by skeletor73; January 26, 2013 at 04:40pm.

Heroic ursine warrior sailoruranus's Avatar
    This is quite possibly the worst idea for MOTU I have ever heard. I didn't think it was possible for there to be a MOTU product/movement/special I couldn't support, but here it is.

Widget
    So Im guessing nobody else had their Remco wrestlers team up with the Masters when they were kids? Im actually all for wrestlers doing the voices. Just imagine how melodramatic it would be!!! I guess I'm in the minority as far as the org goes but I am actually excited about this

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Not really feeling this. I would love a new cartoon, just not a crossover with WWF stars.
    My thoughts exactly. Not a WWE fan and dont feel that it would mix well at all with MOTU.