Thread: Youtube and the 'use your name' push..

Youtube and the 'use your name' push..

anyone know why they are suddenly trying to push this on users? I just got another notification today? And you can't opt out of it from popping up again that I can see....

curious why they care so much
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

i am on youtube daily and I have never seen this
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Yeah, I noticed that as well. They're tryin' to get all this junk outta ya nowadays. My AOL email keeps prompting me to put in my phone number and address in case I get....locked out, or something? Nah. No way. I'm good. My Google account keeps asking for my phone number sometimes as well, and now the youtube thing with the name. NO. It's mine! You don't need it, youtube.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Same problem here. It is really annoying.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I've seen the prompt but always disregard it. I think it's a part of Google consolidating their separate services and users having one over-account to access them all, I wouldn't be surprised if you're also getting prompts to use Google Plus as well (assuming you're not already signed up).
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; January 24, 2013 at 09:49pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    I've seen the prompt but always disregard it. I think it's a part of Google consolidating their separate services and users having one over-account to access them all, I wouldn't be surprised if you're also getting prompts to use Google Plus as well (assuming you're not already signed up).
    facebook is annoying enough for me..no desire to use google plus. I Aslo hate how you can't use the same email address for multiple youtube channels. Now I have three google emails i never use. And lastly...what's with this 'we no longer support sign ins with your user name' crap? ;o)
    Geek Media -

The YouTube message is very irritating.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Probably the same reason Facebook wants people to use their real names and not handles.

Part of it may be that law enforcement doesn't need a warrant to use anything you post online as evidence against you, part of it is that employers want to Google search you and see info on you so they can discriminate in a way that doesn't violate the law. I've put in applications the past year and a few places wanted to know my Facebook account, which I don't have. The scary part of that is, you can impersonate someone, post a few untrue things to mimic them and effectively kill their ability to get employment because a company searched their name and info online.
    I would sooner gouge my eyes out with a heated spoon than watch Jem. I consider it to be a terrible cartoon. There. I said it.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    facebook is annoying enough for me..no desire to use google plus. I Aslo hate how you can't use the same email address for multiple youtube channels. Now I have three google emails i never use. And lastly...what's with this 'we no longer support sign ins with your user name' crap? ;o)
    There's been a couple occasions I've considered using Facebook, but I just can't bring myself to put so much info online in one place -- it seems too much like a supermarket for clever identity thieves. Same goes for the other 'social media' places. The only reason I have a Google account at all is because of Gmail (back when you needed an invite to sign up).

I've not seen the no sign-ins with user name yet, that's something of a weird decision, I don't really see how that could reduce hacked accounts especially if someone has already gotten you're real name from Facebook/Google Plus/Etc.

Because these companies want to wring out every lost drop of information on you so they can sell it to the highest bidder. I tried to reply to a blog post backed by Google, and they wanted to know my gender, birthdate, hobbies - to leave a comment on a blog! No, nope, not going there.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Debt collection agencies have also been using Facebook to contact people and it's causing a big stir... much of the government wants to make it illegal to do so, while some others want to make it perfectly legal and acceptable.

And if you don't use Facebook and Twitter to reveal lots of stuff, then you're assumed to be hiding something. Employers want to search you online and if they can't find you then they get suspicious. There was even a proposed law last year which would allow doctors to declare a person "mentally unstable" if they didn't use social media to reveal personal info- I'm not making that up.
    I would sooner gouge my eyes out with a heated spoon than watch Jem. I consider it to be a terrible cartoon. There. I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Debt collection agencies have also been using Facebook to contact people and it's causing a big stir... much of the government wants to make it illegal to do so, while some others want to make it perfectly legal and acceptable.

And if you don't use Facebook and Twitter to reveal lots of stuff, then you're assumed to be hiding something. Employers want to search you online and if they can't find you then they get suspicious. There was even a proposed law last year which would allow doctors to declare a person "mentally unstable" if they didn't use social media to reveal personal info- I'm not making that up.
    Maybe the world should have ended last year.. ugh
    Geek Media -

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post

My doctor has already declared me unstable

I did the name thing on accident and then it linked to my facebook account and was posting every video I watched of commented on.....luckily I figured out how to restore balance to the force and Anakined my way outta it.