Thread: Has anyone else read The Great Beanie Baby Bubble?

Has anyone else read The Great Beanie Baby Bubble?

I just finished The Great Beanie Baby Bubble: Mass Delusion and the Dark Side of Cute by Zac Bissonnette. Aside from being hilarious, I think it is a great read for collectors. Lots of lessons in there about how and why specific things might become collectible and why some collectibles may hang onto their value while other markets (like the Beanie Babies) collapse.
    Makes me glad I was not a Beanie collector!

I haven't read it but I sure do remember that craze. I got irritated when Beanie terminology poisoned the rest of toy collecting. The first time I heard a dealer refer to 80's Transformers as "retired" I wanted to punch him in the mouth. And I'm not a violent person.

I found one guy online who was trading his vintage MOC Star Wars figure for Beanies. I just happened to know of a flea market where I could get Beanies for half their current value. So I paid $50 for a supposed $100 Beanie and traded it for a very nice MOC Return of the Jedi - Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker. All these years later I still have that Luke. I'm not so sure that dude is still happy with the trade.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I haven't read it but I sure do remember that craze. I got irritated when Beanie terminology poisoned the rest of toy collecting. The first time I heard a dealer refer to 80's Transformers as "retired" I wanted to punch him in the mouth. And I'm not a violent person.

I found one guy online who was trading his vintage MOC Star Wars figure for Beanies. I just happened to know of a flea market where I could get Beanies for half their current value. So I paid $50 for a supposed $100 Beanie and traded it for a very nice MOC Return of the Jedi - Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker. All these years later I still have that Luke. I'm not so sure that dude is still happy with the trade.
    This is why I've never understood trading older stuff with value for whatever the new hot craze is. I see people in the Marvel Legends groups doing it all the time, trading older figures that have proven to hold value for the newest wave/exclusive, which almost always ends up dropping value (heavily) very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    The first time I heard a dealer refer to 80's Transformers as "retired" I wanted to punch him in the mouth. And I'm not a violent person.
    There is a GREAT story in the book about how the 2 salesmen who worked for Ty Warner came up with the idea for using the "retired" terminology.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfHeMan View Post
    This is why I've never understood trading older stuff with value for whatever the new hot craze is. I see people in the Marvel Legends groups doing it all the time, trading older figures that have proven to hold value for the newest wave/exclusive, which almost always ends up dropping value (heavily) very quickly.
    The lesson from the book is definitely, DO NOT get into a craze late in the game! The whole thing had Ponzi-like elements - the older beanies were only valuable as long as there were new collectors who needed to purchase the discontinued ones to complete their collections. Once new collectors stopped being interested, the whole bottom fell out of the market. The author found people who had traded their kids college funds for beanies, even one guy who is still sitting on 40,000 beanies. Makes my little MOTU/POP collection look sane!