Thread: Ricky Gervais ... Funny or not?

Doha, Qatar, Arabian Gulf ... clearly no where near the US of A ... in case you were curious... not suggesting at all that your geography skills are bad... I'm just saying... anywho...

Ricky Gervais ... Funny or not?

Do you guys think that Ricky Gervais is that funny?

I love The Office and i think he's a genius when it comes to being a writter... but as an actor/comedian.... meh i think he's slightly over rated.

What do you think?

----------------------
    Rose D'Or honour for TV's Gervais

Gervais won a host of major awards for his hit comedy The Office
    The Office star Ricky Gervais will receive the honorary Rose D'Or Award at this year's annual festival in the Swiss city of Lucerne.
    The award recognises an individual who has made an exceptional contribution to the global entertainment business.

Festival boss Georges Luks called Gervais, 44, "a comedy phenomenon".

"Ricky Gervais is hugely talented, spectacularly successful and seriously funny. We look forward to seeing him on stage in Lucerne."

Gervais, whose latest show Extras is nominated in the sitcom category, will receive the tribute at a gala ceremony on 29 April.

Previous recipients of the award include comedy duo Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders and John De Mol, founder of Endemol.

Gervais co-created Extras and The Office with Stephen Merchant (l)

Extras goes head-to-head with the US remake of Gervais' global hit The Office at the festival, which runs from 25-30 April in Switzerland.

In its original format The Office gained Gervais a huge international following for his role as David Brent.

Other British comedy shows which have gained nominations at the 46th Rose D'Or festival include The Catherine Tate Show, The Thick of It and Channel 4's The IT Crowd.

A series of awards for individual performers will also be presented, including best comedian, best sitcom actor and actress and best gameshow host.

Last year's big British winner was Little Britain, which won the awards for best comedy and best male comedy performance for its stars Matt Lucas and David Walliams.

Strictly Come Dancing and sitcom Nighty Night were also successful, along with Zoe Wanamaker, best female comedy performer for her role in My Family.
    Last edited by Milk Man; March 15, 2006 at 11:03pm.
    "Milk is for babies" - Arnold Schwarzenneger

Lycan
    I think he's as funny as tooth ache. I found him annoying even back years ago when he was doing the 11 o'clock show. He can only play 'himself'
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

Heroic Warrior
    The Office (English) is mint but everything else is not funny at all.
    He's no Lee evans

Heroic Warrior of Avion
    Well... I absolutely love 'The Office', but I do see where people are coming from when they say that the guy can only play himself. Any show I've seen him in, though, I've thought was funny.

I watched a stand up performance of his not too long ago, and I don't think I've ever laughed so hard.

So to answer your question... Yes, I do think he's funny

--Leanne

Poopie Flingin' Monkey! Slothboy's Avatar
    I thought he was great in The Office and just as funny in Extras on HBO. Now I've never seen him in anything else so I cant say anything there but as far as "awkward comedy" goes he's pretty funny.

I loved the Office, really enjoyed Extras and get a kick out of his podcasts.

Put me in the "thumbs up" camp.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    He cracked me up with this tweet about celebs setting themselves up to have their intimate photos stolen.

I felt it to be too true.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I think some of the stuff he did to Karl Pilkington was borderline mean and not funny, if that says anything.

Master of New Adventures!
    Imo, laugh-out-loud funny in NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM.

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    He's hilarious. I loved the Idiot Abroad stuff! And I really like his new show on HULU. He was great in the Muppets as well.

Wow, this comes back years later! LOL. I think he's great.

He is very funny.

I think he is a great funny writer and a terrific actor. The scene in "The invention of lying" when his mother is dying is beautiful excellently well performed. Then when he comes back with the Pizza Hutt boxes as Moises' Commandments Tables is brilliant
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Never found him funny, borderline annoying.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    Ricky Who??
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

Widget
    I find him to be very talented. I've never disliked anything I have seen him in. His spot on Curb Your Enthusiasm is classic modern television, and don't get me started on the Office and Extras! I can't get enough of The Patrick Stewart episode of Extras (I honestly did not know Jean Luc Picard was such a funny man before I saw that episode)!

While I really really do not like the Office (UK or US) I find him to be an extremely funny stand up who constantly has me in stitches. I also found The Invention of Lying to be very funny and very clever.

So yes, Ricky Gervais is funny

(even if he is responsible for The Office )
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

As a stand up comedian, and as a talk show guest, he can be quite funny.

In everything else i've seen him in - The Office, Extras, The Simpsons, Night at the Museum, etc... - I didn't laugh once.

I don't think he's a very good comedic actor. I feel the same way about Catherine Tate, she's great in a dramatic role (Dr. Who), but when she does comedy it leaves me cold.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I find him to be very talented. I've never disliked anything I have seen him in. His spot on Curb Your Enthusiasm is classic modern television, and don't get me started on the Office and Extras! I can't get enough of The Patrick Stewart episode of Extras (I honestly did not know Jean Luc Picard was such a funny man before I saw that episode)!
    The Patrick Stewart episode was one of the few episodes I liked of Extras, and it was quite funny.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Heroic Warrior
    He was quite good in Derek, I think. Didnt you get that one in the US?

He's never made me laugh and I think I've been open-minded enough several times. He's not as painfully unfunny as Dane Cook, but I just don't feel his humor. I haven't seen the Muppets Most Wanted, but I'm curious if it will break his streak of being unfunny. The Invention of Lying was just downright offensive and disgusted me, but he's been a weak point even in movies I otherwise liked. That "It means I'm doing something right" spot that he did a while back especially fell flat. It was either an ineffective joke or just egotistical and pretentious. To each their own though, humor is definitely not a single flavor.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I'm not particularly a fan of his, but he does have his moments. I actually thought he was great in the Muppets sequel. I think he's got talent (he did a great guest spot as a terrorist on Alias, once), I just think his shtick, or image, or whatever you want to call it, wears a little thin pretty quickly.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    I'm not particularly a fan of his, but he does have his moments. I actually thought he was great in the Muppets sequel. I think he's got talent (he did a great guest spot as a terrorist on Alias, once), I just think his shtick, or image, or whatever you want to call it, wears a little thin pretty quickly.
    I didnīt know him until that guest part on Alias and it made me dislike him from the start. His character wasnīt just dislikable written(which he was) but Mr. Gervais himself brought in such a negative attitude and arrogance i seriously looked that guy up to see if itīs just me or if is that character and thatīs no act he isnīt playing, it seems to be him.
    He is definitely not my cup of tea.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither