Thread: Fixing a broke wrist

Fixing a broke wrist

Tried to find other posts on this, but I either missed them or they were too old for search.

Got Mer-man last night opened him up, and the first thing I do is check the articulation on all the figures. His right wrist was tight, I wasn't trying too hard to twist it but then when it gave it didn't feel like the articulation was what was moving. I didn't fully break it but I can look in and see where the break started. I am concerned with him holding his weapon (either one) the break will over time get worse.

I was wondering if there were glues to avoid or anything like that. I haven't had much figure breakage in the past, but I remember reading some glues may not be good. I know gluing the wrist will lock it into place.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I fixed the MAA that became my Filmation Hordak when his shoulder peg tore off inside the bicep with super glue and one of the short Transformers metal pins they use in joints. I just drilled it out and glued the pin in each piece, and that completely fixed it, and it still is perfectly fine over a year later.

But I would assume a thicker plastic peg would work just as good assuming the joint is not overly tight. But the metal pin will not shear off. In fact I have to fix my sons Cringer, the tail broke off.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I also realize with all the customizers I might be able to pick up a hand. I would just need ot make sure which is the wrong size the wrist or his arm.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    That feeling when a joint finally moves but you can tell it's because the peg is twisting off is sickening. This happened more than a few times when I was collecting DCUC and DC Direct figures.

I eventually started tossing the figures in the freezer for half an hour to get them nice and rigid before I tried to twist anything, figuring the plastic would then be harder than the paint or whatever was making it stick. I don't know if that technically did anything or not, but I never had a joint break for a figure I did that with.

And I know that doesn't really help your situation in any way, but I do empathize.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I also realize with all the customizers I might be able to pick up a hand. I would just need ot make sure which is the wrong size the wrist or his arm.
    Usually all the hand pegs / wrist sockets have been the same size throughout the line. You can shave down the hand attachment peg a little if you need to, I did for my Hordak, and the hands pop off just like they were meant to like Spikor. But I also shaved well more than you need to just loosen it a bit.

Just heat it up, and pop the new one in, if it's too tight, you can just shave a little from the peg, not the hole, as you may cut away the little molded in ring that actually holds the peg in place.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I know usually it's the paint or a molding line or something that is causing the problem, that's more what I meant.

Well I had/have a frozen joint on my TMNT Classics Mikey (right shoulder ball hinge) and tried the freezing, was being nice and trying to get the hinge to loosen when the peg for the upper right arm started to go. Got out the super glue finished off the break on Mer-man's wrist glued it, if stuck in place at least he can stand and hold is sword, the peg was easy to finish the break. Tried to get some superglue into the Mikey situation, didn't work so well, took an effort to the finish the break on him. Got him glue, hopefully he hasn't lost the articulation there. but letting it set before I do anything else to either of them or the glue won't hold. Hopefully I get his hinge to work, since it leaves his arm extended.

I have one other tight joint to worry about right now, Grayskull's left boot isn't rotating which makes his foot a bit pigeon toed, but will slowly work on it.
    Last edited by wyldman11; January 29, 2013 at 02:19pm.