Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Man & The Masters of the Universe #6 - DC Comics - SPOILERS

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    ok reading the last page again, its orko without question. he says about playing the minon and how good he was at always playing it

i can understand them wanting to drop all the filmation stuff for being goofy but the sign of a good writer is to take something goofy and use it in a way that improves it but doesnt disregard what made the source appealing in the first place.

yeah i dont mind the violence and blood but the fact that if something was filmation they either drop it or make it seem like it went through a 90's image comics make over

overall the series was better than i expected but sorry the redesigns and blonde teela suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks lol
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

I really loved this issue... even though I still have some issues with some stuff, but for the most part- I liked just about everything presented here. "In my canon", I am reading all of this as if it's a few years ahead in time... like, perhaps they didn't ALWAYS know Adam and He-Man were one in the same, but at some point it was a big reveal and that's why Randor, Teela, all of Eternia knows. I mean, they'd have to find out at SOME POINT, otherwise we wouldn't really be having a King He-Man in MOTUC, would we?
    All in all, pretty good stuff. Definitely suffering from growing pains, for sure... and I'm sure things will continue to evolve (like Teela being a redhead again starting in April). But this issue had me excited start to finish, and now I have to go back and re-read everything from scratch and soak it all in
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The writing team in the earliest interviews balked at the silliness of Filmation, often making an example of Skeletor being goofy. The absence of the secret identity, Orko, Battle Cat not talking, Adora committing atrocities and the mature themes could be DC's way of compensating for people's idea of what MOTU was.
    I really don't have an issue with anything on that list. Mature themes are fine, He-Man injuring or even killing doesn't bother me either, I mean he is a guy fighting with a sword after all. I wouldn't want to see him become like, say Conan, who has a bloodlust.

I get that Orko is a goofy character, and I really don't want to see a direct Filmation transfer of his character. Even the 200X version, while toned down considerably, could still be a bit annoying. But, for many of us, we still can't help but like the guy . Making him into the "big bad" as has been suggested in this thread is making him something he is not. It is not even close to any form of the character. May as well make She-Ra's He-man's Girlfriend, or Man at Arms a brainless coward who runs from battle and hates weapons.

Maybe when I read it for myself (should have it soon) I will feel differently about it.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by Hek-tor View Post
    I don't think Orko is evil. Maybe everyone is under the impression he betrayed them, when he may have cut a deal with Skeletor to save their lives.
    Agreed, hard to believe they would go that drastic.
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

The story gets us talking, that's for certain. IMO, shock and surprise is part of what entertainment is all about.

For me personally, I've gotten past my attachments to previous canon and now I'm along for the ride. I may not like everything I read or see in future canons, but that's a given for any fan. I still have my preferences, but I aim to not to let that affect my enjoyment of new canon and different ideas.

The ending was a surprise! but, I'm not 100% sure that's Orko. Or if it is, I'm not sure why he's the way he is now and maybe that will change.

Could be the Sorceress isn't actually dead either. Or, perhaps they are setting it up for a changing of the guard like was done in the MOTUC toy bios.

Seeing Teela's charger horse was really cool! Nice nod there.

Someone help me understand something. When we see the "Masters" assembled and He-man randomly says they won't have Orko to betray them...

How did he know Orko betrayed them? I feel like I skipped a page somewhere. He just makes the statement out of no where and the story moves on with no explanation.

Then we maybe see Orko's hand at the end. How did He-man randomly know?
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Presumably, Adam getting back his memories included how he was put under that spell. I'm just hoping for a reveal closer to "Return of orko's uncle" than the live action Scooby-Doo movie.

The comic does a really poor job of telling a story in my opinion. It seems more interested in the concepts themselves than it does explaining them. There is much in the entire six issues the comic just doesn't bother to explain. The main plot itself isn't really explained either. Skeletor apparently won at some point and placed a spell on everyone and that's really it as far as the comic is concerned or so it seems. Maybe we'll get an explanation in the ongoing comic, but for a stand alone six issue series it just seems lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    The story gets us talking, that's for certain. IMO, shock and surprise is part of what entertainment is all about.

For me personally, I've gotten past my attachments to previous canon and now I'm along for the ride. I may not like everything I read or see in future canons, but that's a given for any fan. I still have my preferences, but I aim to not to let that affect my enjoyment of new canon and different ideas.

The ending was a surprise! but, I'm not 100% sure that's Orko. Or if it is, I'm not sure why he's the way he is now and maybe that will change.

Could be the Sorceress isn't actually dead either. Or, perhaps they are setting it up for a changing of the guard like was done in the MOTUC toy bios.

Ummm... What was I going to say about this issue? Oh yeah, Val already said it!

For what it is, I'm liking the new comic still. I really like how He-Man was illustrated in some of those panels! And Teela's new outfit is really growing on me. It's not a new take on her old costume, it's a new take on the BG Teela IMO. (hey go easy on me, sometimes I'm a little SLOW.)
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Well...I have read it. It wasn't terrible overall, and there were some thing I quite liked. Skeletor's ego, how instead of killing He-Man and the other Heroic Warriors he puts them under a spell because he wants them to suffer.

Death of the Sorceress: Hate it. Like I said, she has now become the biggest jobber in MOTU. The only good thing is that no one stays dead in comics. Well that and if Grayskull does not have power...then no need for Teela to suddenly gain "insta powers" and become a Sorceress. That drives me bonkers. It's like the worst multi classing power gamer from D&D gone crazy.

Orko being evil and sitting there at the end with all his demon minions because he's a bad mo fo: This single act makes Cloning swords, Teela clones, Snake Man at Arms, the "mysterious spade" and Mighty Spector seem like strokes of literary genius.

Hey maybe I will be wrong, and after a few issues of the main series it will be brilliant. I will happily say I was wrong. But man, it will take all the Power of Grayskull to change my mind.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

I was supprised to see so much 200X stuff in the book! characters and vehicles!

I thought Mattel hated 200x?!
    Need stuff? I might just have it!

Check out my shop!

SHOP1321

http://blujay.com/scar1321
    I'm always adding stuff!

What did you think was 200X about the comic? I didn't see much that seemed to me to be 200X.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    Someone help me understand something. When we see the "Masters" assembled and He-man randomly says they won't have Orko to betray them...

How did he know Orko betrayed them? I feel like I skipped a page somewhere. He just makes the statement out of no where and the story moves on with no explanation.

Then we maybe see Orko's hand at the end. How did He-man randomly know?
    Like I said earlier, it felt like they skipped an issue between the end of #5 and the start of #6. It seems like a whole lot happened between them.

Maybe if they didn't spend 4 issues telling barely an issue's worth of story, they would've had space...

Yikes! Skeletor standing there with the Sorceress' head in his hand was insane! I don't like how this story arch made the Sorceress SO weak. And Orko betrayed them all? I'm guessing He-Man witnessed the betrayal and now remembers it having his memory back. Could that have been Orko in the last panel?

Also it's good to see Castle Grayskull a bit more recognizable than earlier in this series!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but when it shows Skeletor for the first time after he's fallen into the pit, isn't that the Sword of Protection at the top of the page?

Nevermind, just reread it and saw that the it was the Power Sword that fell in.
    Last edited by Highway; January 30, 2013 at 11:07pm.

Evil orko reminds me of Evil Skeets from 52 another giffen project , i wonder if we will have a story like that?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    For what it is, I'm liking the new comic still. I really like how He-Man was illustrated in some of those panels! And Teela's new outfit is really growing on me. It's not a new take on her old costume, it's a new take on the BG Teela IMO. (hey go easy on me, sometimes I'm a little SLOW.)
    He-Man and Teela's DC looks are growing on me too, but then I like barbarian characters in the first place.

I think it might be a cross between both of her outfits. She has the fur of the leotard, but the leotard is in two pieces, like her Pre-Filmation bikini.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    The part when He-Man says "I am the power" reminds me of MYP when King Grayskull learned that the power was always inside him. I wonder if this concept will apply to Adora as well in DC's canon.

I HATED it.

Sorceress is dead
    Orko is a traitor/evil
    Teela is way too *****y
    Evil-Lyn has her mouth removed by Skeletor, stupid after he said her power reveled his.

There's more just don't have it in me to get into.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I liked the appearance of Teela's unicorn. It was an oldschool reference and it's very cool to see they included that.

The rest of the comic was... unfortunate.

Skeletor holding Sorceress' decapitated head aloft and taunting He-Man with her death? Repugnant.
    Evil Orko turning traitor and possibly being the supreme bad guy at the end? That is ******** right there.
    Castle Grayskull was useless all along and He-Man is the SOURCE of the Power? CG was a red herring all along? Lame.

I'm so tired of modern entertainment "reboots" trying to be "griitty" and "cool." I really do try to be open-minded with new stuff and I've been ok with some of the DC stories but, man, it's hard to be a fan of something that is now almost unrecognizable as MOTU to me. You can still tell a good, mature MOTU story without gratuitous violence, T&A, and cheap plot twists. We'll see where the regular series goes but, judging from what happens in this one, I imagine more depressing "fun" lies ahead.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    That was so cool. It was a highlight for me. I actually also really like Teela's costume - it would be a fun figure to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I liked the appearance of Teela's unicorn. It was an oldschool reference and it's very cool to see they included that.

The rest of the comic was... unfortunate.

Skeletor holding Sorceress' decapitated head aloft and taunting He-Man with her death? Repugnant.
    Evil Orko turning traitor and possibly being the supreme bad guy at the end? That is ******** right there.
    Castle Grayskull was useless all along and He-Man is the SOURCE of the Power? CG was a red herring all along? Lame.

I'm so tired of modern entertainment "reboots" trying to be "griitty" and "cool." I really do try to be open-minded with new stuff and I've been ok with some of the DC stories but, man, it's hard to be a fan of something that is now almost unrecognizable as MOTU to me. You can still tell a good, mature MOTU story without gratuitous violence, T&A, and cheap plot twists. We'll see where the regular series goes but, judging from what happens in this one, I imagine more depressing "fun" lies ahead.
    I am with you point by point.

I am particularly bothered by the idea that "gritty" and "new" has to mean a lack of humor, or lightness... real life has all of those things... a good story does too... Orko is like the Nameless One now?? Is that it?? Why? Because a sweet, funny, but potentially powerful character who brings some humor to the story is somehow not cool?

It's a little annoying when after 30 years of survivng, the people writing this new comic can't respect the fact that these characters are loved because of their history.

I don't mind change, I loved 200X... but this DC stuff is weird... the characters lack, in most cases, the coolest aspects of the personalities we've come to love over 30 years.

I'll keep giving it a chance, but I hope we see some more character development that respects the past. MYP and MVC did it... there's no reason DC can't.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    The 200x comics were waaaaaay better. The art and stories were perfect at that time. DC went all wrong with their MOTU comics, I can't enjoy them...

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I really liked seeing Charger in the comic, but...seeing BLONDE Teela riding a unicorn beside He-Man on Battle Cat made me long for She-Ra. Also, Teela was pretty terrible in this issue. She yelled at He-Man and then wasn't really worthy in battle. Any other version of Teela would have fought savagely. This Teela seemed scared and said she can't keep up. They really made her seem like a damsel in distress a bit, which was disappointing.

I didn't even see The Sorceress' head until I saw MGM's comment about it. I agree with PennyDreadful: repugnant. I do think it was a "glamour", that he only saw it from magic and it wasn't REALLY The Sorceress' head (Skeletor wasn't carrying it before or after that panel), but still...disgusting. Not only that it seems to be the in thing to do (butcher/murder The Sorceress in MOTUC and now the DC series), but now they rub it in He-Man and all the fans' faces. What a "thank you for giving our series a chance" that is.

Orko is the big bad. WWWWWHAT?!

Someone please help me understand this. Orko betrayed everyone and is the red skull (which looks like MOTUC Horde Prime's head). But...this skull was in Preternia with Sir Laser Lot...and Skeletor had to obtain it via magic, transporting it to the future, so he could do his spell, wiping everyone's memories. How does any of that make sense? I think they need to make an issue or two filling in the gaps of who/what the red skull is, why it was needed for this spell, how Orko betrayed them, etc. Too many plot holes.

For the record, Orko being the big bad is ultra lame, in my opinion. Sweet, innocent, bumbling Orko is the main evil just for the plot twist at the end is just bad writing.

I did enjoy parts of the issue. A lot of it was done well and I liked it overall...but I would like to see some improvements if/when the series continues.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I am particularly bothered by the idea that "gritty" and "new" has to mean a lack of humor, or lightness...
    That's become par for the course for many modern comics. I'm not saying that's how it should be or that what I'm personally interested in. But you see a lot of that done these days. I have to assume it sells, otherwise I guess publishers wouldn't keep doing it or favor it. Besides, we all know characters rarely stay dead in comics.

Hopefully, whether the story is liked or not, it'll help MOTU and POP. Maybe others out there will want to see what the talk is about and will go pick up the comics and/or start seeking out MOTU and POP again.
    I recommend sharing your constructive criticisms or praise about the DC comic on comic forums and social media too! Let's get the general public talking He-Man and She-Ra.

There seems to be a lot of people who can't stomach a cartoon character decapitated head. If its not for u that's fine. You can always enjoy the 1981 filmation cartoons.