Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe: Origin of He-Man - DC Comics - SPOILERS

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Masters of the Universe: Origin of He-Man - DC Comics - SPOILERS

This thread is to discuss what happened in Masters of the Universe: The Origin of He-Man!

If you haven't read the comic yet or don't want to be spoiled, leave the thread!

SPOILER SPACE!

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

• King Grayskull forged the Power Sword in DC. No Trollans or Sword of He!
    • I think there is an Adora reference "Now, tell me where the Power Sword is, or die like the filth your wretched Earth mother birthed!"
    • Adam is a naturally talented fighter, which is why he probably kicked Beast Man's ass in #1.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

I don't know what happened to Ben Oliver. He used to be a really good artist, but other than a few panels, this was ugly. Almost no backgrounds, stiff figures that look like he traced over 'Poser' models and weird texture choices over everything that just made the whole comic look muddy. Jose Villarubia (who is normally quite brilliant) didn't help at all.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, I thought that was a reference to Adora too.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Yeah, I thought that was a reference to Adora too.
    Is it not just simply a reference to Adam himself?
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I don't know what happened to Ben Oliver. He used to be a really good artist, but other than a few panels, this was ugly. Almost no backgrounds, stiff figures that look like he traced over 'Poser' models and weird texture choices over everything that just made the whole comic look muddy. Jose Villarubia (who is normally quite brilliant) didn't help at all.
    Agree. I'm not familiar with Ben Olivier's work but the lack of backgrounds makes it look cheap, like a soap rather than a big production. I was expecting something more spectacular for He-Man's origins, especially since I think the She-Ra story was great in all aspect. And yes the photo tracing (I don't think it's poser but paint over photos) doesn't help me liking this comic. It's the origins of He-Meh.
    Last edited by Cosmitron; January 30, 2013 at 02:28pm.

I have to agree - I didn't like the art. And the story... there didn't really happen that much. Kind of meh.

I liked it and I liked the fact that it mentioned marlena being from earth. And mentioning king greyskull.

I love this origin because it's more personal and I love that his first transformation is in an extreme situation and complicated.
    Another interesting thing , finally exposed the blood relationship between King Grayskull and Keldor and Randor.
    I also enjoyed skeletor knows the importance of the sword.

the art is great,(I love Sorceress) each panel is very worked like cover artwork each panel.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

I enjoyed it and thought it was good. Parts of it I really really liked, other parts not so much. But then that's been the case with all of the DC stuff so far, IMO. But this and the Skeletor issue are nice to have... I do hope more come out in print like this. My favorite chunk was the stuff with Adam and The Sorceress. It felt right, and made me wish they'd handled the Sorceress in 2002 with a bit more warmth.
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

So…King Grayskull forges the Power Sword? He-Ro no longer gives it to him?
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Looking at it again, I have to give Oliver credit for the 3 page Sorceress section. Those are nice looking pages. But his overall lack of backgrounds and tendency to make everyone floating is criminal. And he does not do "muscle guys" well at all. His He-Man is just awful. Small arms, really poorly drawn harness - and that last page is just atrocious. He-man looks like he has a sunken chest and a beer gut.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    the responses & reactions from this comic has me worried. I may not like it either. Ever since 200x MV comic line ended I wanted MOTU to continue with good comics again. but it sounds like the comics we do get are mockery's or just awful drawn. Is the writing good at least?
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    That's in TG's canon. In DC Comics' canon, it's different....

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    If he forges the sword from his "ancestor" He-Ro's staff, I will be pleased. I doubt they'll do it though.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not a fan of that the Power Sword is forged, like Castle Grayskull was built by a giant. Too much explanation takes away the secrets and magic of MOTU. Besides, it doesn't feel epic.

I don't think, that the most powerful weapon in the universe should be forged. Sounds lame... It should be created by an unknown force or by the stars themselves...
    Last edited by Berserker79; January 31, 2013 at 01:26am.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    The story seemed short. The best part of it for me, was The Sorceress. She looked GREAT in this issue. Her outfit was very tasteful too! The other DC issues make it look very...umm...street corner wear. One thing I thought was funny, was that they gave her blue feathers at the front of her headdress. That's what Koduk Ungol wears!

About the Power Sword being forged, I liked how the UK comics did it. The Sword of Power and Protection were forged by the Elders from a magic, jewelled meteor that fell from the heavens. A man who WANTED to be an Eldor made a THIRD (evil) Sword out of it too, which was split in half.

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    Is it not just simply a reference to Adam himself?
    Adam's alive though and Skeletor is saying it TO him. I'm sure it's about Adora.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Question: According to Filmation, how were the swords created?

"Now, tell me where the Power Sword is, or die like the filth your wretched Earth mother birthed!"

That's an insulted directed against Adam. I don't think Skeletor thought of Adora.
    "The Doctor is in - 5 Cent"

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Good concepts.

****-poor execution.

After seeing DC's bumbling of pretty much everything NOT Batman, post-Flashpoint, this isn't a shocker.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Question: According to Filmation, how were the swords created?
    They never really dealt with it.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    In all honesty, I found the comic and this origin of He-Man pretty boring and unspectacular...
    The art was fine for the most part though.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    They never really dealt with it.
    Ok, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ofty View Post
    "Now, tell me where the Power Sword is, or die like the filth your wretched Earth mother birthed!"

That's an insulted directed against Adam. I don't think Skeletor thought of Adora.
    But Adam is alive, not dead "like like the filth your wretched Earth mother birthed!". Adora is presumed dead since Skeletor sent her off to Hordak.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I'm not a fan of that the Power Sword is forged, like Castle Grayskull was built by a giant. Too much explanation takes away the secrets and magic of MOTU. Besides, it doesn't feel epic.

I don't think, that the most powerful weapon in the universe should be forged. Sounds lame... It should be created by an unknown force or by the stars themselves...
    I agree. I liked that Castle Grayskull was "built by unknown hands" in the mini-comics. I think we shouldn't know who built the Power Swords either. Castle Grayskull is the fortress of mystery and power, but where has the mystery gone these past few years?

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    But Adam is alive, not dead "like like the filth your wretched Earth mother birthed!". Adora is presumed dead since Skeletor sent her off to Hordak.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. I liked that Castle Grayskull was "built by unknown hands" in the mini-comics. I think we shouldn't know who built the Power Swords either. Castle Grayskull is the fortress of mystery and power, but where has the mystery gone these past few years?
    That is all the mystery we have left

This was decent enough, and the Sorceress is just GORGEOUS, and quite well done personality wise.

Which makes me all the sadder that she is so casually killed off in Issue 6
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Snappy Threader
    Just read it. The art is so terrible, just like the Skeletor origin comic. I mean come on, it's DC comics for crying out loud, not my nephew's third grade art class. Get some real artists. Story was rushed but good....