Thread: World of Warcraft Movie Coming In 2015!

World of Warcraft Movie Coming In 2015!

It will be titled Warcraft. I know a lot of people round here are cynical of Hollywood adaptations, but the main reason why I think this could be something special is because they have just hired Duncan Jones to direct it. He directed Moon and Source Code. That is an appointment that makes me very happy. This is the fully article from the Hollywood Reporter:

Duncan Jones is taking on Legendary Pictures' adaptation of the popular video game universe.

Duncan Jones is making the jump to big-budget tentpole movies, signing on to direct Warcraft, Legendary Pictures’ live-action adaptation of Blizzard Entertainment’s video game universe.

Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are producing for Legendary along with Blizzard and Atlas Entertainment’s Charles Roven and Alex Gartner.

Taking an almost kitchen-sink approach to fantasy, Warcraft, which has grown to be one of the most popular multiplayer online role-playing games out there, is part fantasy, part science fiction and — depending on the game you’re playing — includes elements such as dragons and orcs, zombies and werewolves, and aliens and spaceships.

Legendary is keeping its script, written by Charles Leavitt, under wraps. The Warner Bros.-based production and finance outfit is eyeing a fall 2013 start and a 2015 release.

Jones’ producing partner, Stuart Fenegan, will executive produce while Chris Metzen will co-produce for Blizzard.

Warcraft is a big jump up in terms of scope and scale for Jones, the filmmaker son of David Bowie known for his thoughtful sci-fi work.

Jones (CAA, Independent Talent Group, Bloom Hergott) made his feature debut writing and directing 2009's Moon, the well-regarded low-key indie sci-fi drama that starred Sam Rockwell and cost around $1 million to make. He followed that up with Source Code, Summit’s 2011 time travel thriller that starred Jake Gyllenhaal and cost around $35 million to make. Warcraft is expected to have a budget north of $100 million.

Roven most recently produced The Dark Knight Rises and is a producer on Man of Steel, both of which involved Legendary. Atlas is in pre-production on David O. Russell’s follow-up to Silver Linings Playbook, an untitled project that will star Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner. Production begins this March.

Legendary is prepping for the July 12 release of Guillermo del Toro’s monsters vs. mechas tentpole Pacific Rim.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I hope it has kung fu pandas and elves with really big, stupid ears and eyebrows.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

I don't know that it will be as bad as most game movies seeing how WoW has it's own storied lore, and
    it has some names attached that put out some faithful comic/tv show film adaptations. HOWEVER:

1.) WoW is in it's what eighth year? People are finally starting to look at other MMORPG's, and it's peak of popularity
    has probably set sail. I'd think mostly just the hardcore lifers are left all at level caps. By this point it seems a bit
    too late for a mainstream popcorn movie. Even if it doesn't suck, I don't know the remaining subscribers are going to
    leave their raiding, and poopsocking for the movie theatre on the chance it *Might* be good. But then I suppose I could
    be wrong.

2.) Comic Book movies are getting over the stigma that they're guaranteed face slappings on celluloid. Video Game movies
    still have the shadows of Street Fighter, Street Fighter Chun Li, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Super Mario Bros., Dead Or Alive, Tekken Anime, Tekken CGI,
    Tekken Live Action, Double Dragon, Wing Commander, Dungeons & Dragons, Seemingly endlessly horrible Resident Evil, and Silent Hill movies, two mediocre at best
    Tomb Raider movies, and all of the Uwe Boll schlock hanging over it's head. That's the kind of track record to make even the most optimistic movie loving gamer wait
    for World Of Warcraft hit the Redbox machine at their local Stop & Shop.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I can't stress how excited I am for it. Being probably the biggest WoW fan here on the forums I could go on and on and on.

I don't think they would make a movie just to make a movie. I'd say it will someone tie into the game, or set up a new game or expansion.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Nice to see this get some momentum after being in development for so long. It does seem like strange timing since WoW is no longer as popular as it was... but a good movie could actually go some way in changing that.

Even though WOW does seem to have peaked already, I still think the film has the potential to be huge. WOW has touched so many people over the years, and it is highly likely these same people will go and watch the film adaptation. I think this film could finally be the film to do for video game adaptations what the original X-Men did for superhero adaptations. I mean, superhero adaptations are seen as well respected films now. Video game adaptations are still scoffed at somewhat.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I"d say at least 12 million players would see it. If half of them take their significant others (if they have them lol), that would put it at 18 million. Then tack on random people just going to the movies..... I see it doing well.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

I’ve always maintained that the only video game adaptations I can see people queuing round the block to see would be Halo, WOW and Mass Effect.