Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: *IF* The 2014 Sub Fails, Are You Open To Bagged Figures & Reduced Acc/Deco OR...

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    With all the quality control issues, I couldn't imagine what type of horrible shape a figure would come in if it shipped in a polybag. Polybags are a bad idea.
    This is very true, DR would not likely pack them very well. And we'd still need a mailer....
    But seriously, I see things possibly messed up badly, twisted carnage of a figure in a Ziplock. They'd still need to band then limbs so they wouldn't flop and look like someone who dropped from a 20 story building. Plus it would not make shipping cheaper.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    The purpose of this thread is to determine how (or if) the majority of fans would like to see Classics continue in the event that management isn't pleased with the 2014 subscription numbers, and pass along our collective thoughts to Mattel so they can create a backup plan to present to management sooner rather than later.

Should the 2014 line-up fail, I would imagine that many folks would get desperate because there are still tons of characters that are missing from their collections that they want. If the figures are back to $20, that price reduction would still be a major draw for a lot of folks despite fewer accessories, etc. So we have to look at what our potential options are. It may come down to us having to pick between:

A) A full year of cost-reduced figures that, while many of them would have fewer "paint hits" and accessories, would allow us the option to still get some of the more unique, heavily-tooled characters.

OR

B) A handful of figures spread out over time that have the packaging and a decent amount of deco, but are conservative so far as the amount of tooling that went into them.

Toyguru said that it would be extremely difficult to get heavily-tooled characters in a 4-6 figure yearly plan, because the P&L doesn't crunch with all the tooling and only a few figures to amortize it over. I believe he said they need a full year's worth of figures for something like that to be possible.

Anyhow, I'm not in a panic about 2014 or anything at the moment, but I just think it's better to be prepared so Mattel knows where we all stand.
    You're beating a dead horse, Tallstar. More like liquifying a dead horse....as usual. This option isn't something the majority of collectors and fans want PERIOD. Why would you think it is something that would "win back" subscribers? If I tried to sell you a figure, and you didn't want it, then I broke that figure in half and tried to sell you part of it, would you change your mind??? No, of course not. It's the same deal. If people ultimately decide to drop out of MOTUC subs, offering them a sub par product isn't going to win them back. Does finishing a collector's line where the back end of figures look terrible by comparison sound appealing in the slightest? I don't think so, and neither do the majority of buyers.

These are not collective thoughts, since it has already been well established that the majority doesn't want this. Mattel already knows where we stand, Scott knows where we stand, and so should you. This pessimistic thread is actually sending the wrong message. Why are you planning for the failure of 2014 when we have barely begun 2013 and it looks strong, Castle Grayskull was a huge success, and licensing for the brand as a whole is at a peak? There is no reason to even suggest 2014 would fail, especially since we have NO IDEA what it will involve, how much it will cost, nor how many skus it'll have.

This is a completely pointless and moot topic, especially since there is no evidence to back up such a conversation and we have no idea on the status of the 2014 sub AT ALL.

Check out these links. It says it all...

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/5301062108

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/1171061108
    Last edited by King Tamusk; February 2, 2013 at 12:43pm.

I just thought too, can you imagine if they used Blastic again, the issues the bagged figures would have then? You thought the paint was chipped and flaking from the ones in the Bubble packaging, just wait and let the figures get painted then bagged....

And don't think they won't try it again.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Polybag probably is the easiest and quicker solution, but has its flaws like shadowfall1976 described above.

Reduced deco is the weakest option, the figures wouldn't fit with the others and would ruin the collection as a whole.

Less figures per year seems a viable solution for me, let's say 3 or 4 figures, with standard deco and accessories (or maybe even less accessories if we can get a weapons pack somewhere down the road

Quote Originally Posted by nanoFatato View Post
    Polybag probably is the easiest and quicker solution, but has its flaws like shadowfall1976 described above.

Reduced deco is the weakest option, the figures wouldn't fit with the others and would ruin the collection as a whole.

Less figures per year seems a viable solution for me, let's say 3 or 4 figures, with standard deco and accessories (or maybe even less accessories if we can get a weapons pack somewhere down the road
    Bringing the number of figures down from 12 to 6 is what Mattel already said would happen once they got through the core figures from the vintage lines and Filmation elite. So, I still don't see the point of this discussion. And they won't even sell these if they cost reduce them, so accessories, packaging, and paint applications must be maintained, if not increased as an incentive to buy lesser demanded figures.

Heroic Warrior undeadplastic2711's Avatar
    I'm not worried about 2014, lets just get through this year first
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    You're beating a dead horse, Tallstar. More like liquifying a dead horse....as usual.]
    Thankyou. lets enjoy what NYTF has to offer and deal with 2014 when its time.

Umm...no, not at all!

Heroic Warrior
    I would not like figures in poly bags with reduced deco.