Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: *IF* The 2014 Sub Fails, Are You Open To Bagged Figures & Reduced Acc/Deco OR...

I'm heavily picking cherries, and that's not very likely to change. Like right now, I'd be trying to buy the very select few figures I really, really want. Package isn't an issue for me, since I open every toy anyway, and if the bios and cross-sell pics are loosed in the process...well, good riddance.
    "She-Ra, Princess of Power was no more. That had been the price of freedom."

Nope. Not interested. If it has to end, then so be it.
    Real friends are better than plastic ones.

Quote Originally Posted by eCollector View Post
    Isn't this already happening? See Horde Prime's lack of head paint apps. I don't have him, but isn't it just straight red with no detail?
    Also most of his body, also Stinkor lost paint on his accessories... Reduced Deco is already here.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

I would not be able to accept the figures having less deco or no accessories--polybags--maybe But, if the option was only to cut everything to a bare minimum--I'd just say its time to end the line sadly. Also, why does the sub HAVE to make it to get good figures. It wasnt all that long ago everything was day of sale for Motuc and it still made it. Is ironic that a tool (the sub) that was created to be a convenience factor for fans has turned into a scare tactic to force ppl to commit to a year of figures when there are some that they will not want (luckily I want everything ). Really, I think the sub just needs to go and we go to day of sales again and be done with it (and maybe have preorders).

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I would not be able to accept the figures having less deco or no accessories--polybags--maybe But, if the option was only to cut everything to a bare minimum--I'd just say its time to end the line sadly. Also, why does the sub HAVE to make it to get good figures. It wasnt all that long ago everything was day of sale for Motuc and it still made it. Is ironic that a tool (the sub) that was created to be a convenience factor for fans has turned into a scare tactic to force ppl to commit to a year of figures when there are some that they will not want (luckily I want everything ). Really, I think the sub just needs to go and we go to day of sales again and be done with it (and maybe have preorders).
    I totally agree with this, but it's easier for Mattel to rely on the sub model...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

Quote Originally Posted by eCollector View Post
    Isn't this already happening? See Horde Prime's lack of head paint apps. I
    Yes, that is what I said in an earlier post. The reason I posted that information, is because I thought that a lot of people would automatically assume that every figure had to have both reduced deco and accessories. While that could potentially be the case, it seems more likely Mattel would just do what they're already doing (reducing deco/accessories on *some* figures) but to a larger extent overall.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Yes, that is what I said in an earlier post. The reason I posted that information, is because I thought that a lot of people would automatically assume that every figure had to have both reduced deco and accessories. While that could potentially be the case, it seems more likely Mattel would just do what they're already doing (reducing deco/accessories on *some* figures) but to a larger extent overall.
    The thing about reduced deco is, how much is too much? What we've seen were minor adjustments, I'm under the impression that Mattel would make more drastic cuts, not minor tweaks and alterations, which they're already doing.

So reduced deco...is that like getting paint aps-light Horde Prime with his UK head, no cape or accessories, possibly even fewer paint aps, and in a bag? How many characters would fans accept being made like that and still want to actually buy them? Icer maybe? Lodar? Ice Armor He-Man? Plundor? Mini-comics Trap Jaw? Masks of Power Demons? Even those seem like they'd be pushing it.

Honestly I'll buy whatever they offer, but depending on just how cheap we're talking, I might prefer the option that gets me more characters, and forsakes the more hard-to-make characters like Modulok, Mermista, Extendar, or Mantenna for special slots like convention exclusives or bonus items. I'm the guy who wants Ninjor and Illumina more than Dragstor and Squeeeze, and I've grown tired of reading how the characters I want shouldn't be made even though they are cheaper to pull off and also more awesome to me (and I'm sure to some others). But I really don't think, if they cannot sell the planned 2014 line up, that anything else will be offered or would attract enough customers.

The best bet is to see if people buy enough 2014 subs. If they don't work hard to offer the displayed 2014 figures at a slightly higher price in sets throughout the following year and maybe add a few here and there. But I really really fear that scenario as I think we'd just be the walking dead then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Ah, well, from that light...I wish then I wasn't seeing Toyguru saying that if 2014 doesn't go through they'd wrap things up with 2013 and just move on to the next phase. That kind of talk makes me think they really wouldn't do the sensible thing to MOTUC fans and keep it going without a sub, but would cut us off at the knees for something else as was done to the stactions to make MOTUC.

Sigh, sorry, I'm not normally so gloomy.
    Last edited by gbagok; January 31, 2013 at 04:51pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Can you imagine the QC issues, broken limbs, etc. if these figures were shipped in polybags? I can just see a shipment of thousands of figures arriving from China with broken knee joints because they were stacked on top of each other.

Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Hmm reduced deco and accessories would probably have gotten us a Netossa without a cape

While I don't want the line to end, I don't want to get cheaper looking figures just to try and get more. I don't want to FINALLY get Glimmer and have her come looking anything but fantastic. I also don't want to encourage anymore silly deco cuts either, like Frosta. or accessory cuts, like Netossa.

On top of that, I don't want to get polybagged, figures with fewer paint decos and without accessories while still playing the completely way too high shipping and "handling" prices that we are now. No way.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Not interested in cheaper figs or the polybag idea. We're all for the most part professional collectors at this point. Let's not down grade to these ideas.

I wouldn't object to the bagged figures or less accessories, but I'm not a fan of reducing the deco. While the paint apps are often shoddy, it's still better than no paint at all.

I'd go with reducing the amount of figures and sticking to the essential characters.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I do not collecto Mint on Card so bags would be o.k. Reduced painting and accessories not so much. Also all the figures I would still like to get (Extendar, Rokkon, Rio Blast) would require a whole lot of tooling. So I would not be sure there would be much left for me to collect in such a line.
    Wanna see whales in giant mechsuits protect mankind against evil aliens?
    Check out: http://mechawhales.com/

Collectible figures available from: http://www.deepfriedfigures.com/

My 3D printed action figures: http://www.hauke-scheer.de/

I would rather the line end with grace, with this winter's Castle Grayskull and December's monthly figure the final items produced, than to see it go down a road like this.
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

Anything less than what we get now and I am out for good. For one thing, I collect the filecards. I'd be super ****** if we stopped getting the bio cards.

I'm open to bagged figures and reduced accessories but not reduced paint apps.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Eldor, Spinnerella, Mermista, Peekablue, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Battle Ram, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted for Filmation Sub: Madame Razz with Broom, Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

No. If it fails, I think they'll go to a pre-order system where the most popular figures will still be made and packaged the same. We just probably wouldn't get as many figures each year. If they went to polybags, I'd probably drop the line.

Heroic Warrior
    I would probably choose "periodic" releases with the same packaging, accessories (Fisto like accessories, not Netossa like accessories) and paint application (again, Fisto like paint application, not Netossa like paint application).

But, ideally those "periodic" releases would be two-packs, even if one of the two-pack had to be a fan-demanded re-issue (i.e. original Teela) or repaint (i.e. mini-comics Stratos).

I wouldn't mind the line continuing as a figure here and there, but I have no interest in loose, poly-bagged figures.

... and to be completely honest, I'm kind of glad the end of the line is in sight. Wouldn't everyone prefer to have a nice final 2014 year with a definite ending instead of Mattel just randomly cancelling the line one day?
    Last edited by Kowl; January 31, 2013 at 07:12pm.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

No box, no sub for me. I'm sorry the box makes it collectable for me.
    Masters of the Universe Classics, Ghosterbusters, and Voltron collector...any one have a storage unit(s) I can use? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    I wouldn't mind the line continuing as a figure here and there, but I have no interest in loose, poly-bagged figures.

... and to be completely honest, I'm kind of glad the end of the line is in sight. Wouldn't everyone prefer to have a nice final 2014 year with a definite ending instead of Mattel just randomly cancelling the line one day?

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't want this line to fizzle out, I want a definitive ending- no prototype figures shown at a comic convention that never see the light of day the following year, etc. I am actually very much looking forward to MOTUC ending and hope 2014 is the final year. The quality control issues, the rising prices for everything, the character selection in 2012... it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, frankly. Not to mention the simple fact that space is running out. I've no room for more giants, them squeezing the juice out of the Granamyr buck, eight more vehicles, five more playsets, etc., etc.
    I am loving everything shown for 2013 so far (for the most part), and think a vintage heavy 2014 will make for a solid year... but after that... what? 2015, 2016, 2017... with $45 dollar figures? And the scraping of the bottom of the barrel just to keep putting out product that we'll be roped into buying via the sub? Nah. That's not for this fan. I don't want a future line of polybagged, reduced deco figures- just for the sake of getting Filmation background stock character #43, concept character #28, random sketch of character in the background of this old box art #9, ad nauseum. Give me Entrapta, Modulok, Rokkon, Quakke, Double Trouble, Extendar, the occasional variant here and there, etc. and in two years' time let's call it a day!
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

First off, I just want to say that I can't believe we are barely one month in to 2013, and we are already so worried about 2014! I include myself as part of that problem. The thing is, Netossa still sold out in two days, in spite of mixed reviews, a higher price point, and a lack of accessories. Plus, we know that Ram Man and Jitsu are going to sell out quick. I know that with Netossa people will point out that her production numbers could have been very low. That's been discussed at length, so there is no need to get into that.

For me personally, I am pretty much a MOTUC addict and will buy them no matter what. With or without packaging, decos, etc. I would surely have plenty to complain about, but I would still have my monthly MOTUC fix, which I'm pretty addicted to after 4 years .

I'm not so sure Mattel would want to go to the effort to downgrade the line so much to keep it going. Contrary to what I'm sure many believe, Mattel wants to produce a certain level of product quality, and to knowingly produce figures that are way below the quality level of previous figures probably wouldn't seem worth it.

I just hope we can squeeze (no pun intended ) through 2014 and 2015 so that the majority of what we want is made, and then go to pre-orders and sprinkling out the remaining characters after that.

Not a chance. I'm definitely out if poly-bags and/or reduced apps/deco is ever to be introduced. The only option for me is an all in option.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

None of this talk even matters if you asked me, as I'm convinced that ANY cuts to any thing at this point would be the nail in the coffin.

"If" we barely hit the sub numbers to begin with how in the world would any loss to any thing have ANY positive effect on the 2014 sub?

You can't just keep taking things away or make the buying experience worse and worse and just hope to get by.

Shipping went up, you lost customers there....Figure prices went up, you lost customers there.....

International fans have all sorts of issues, you lost customers there....

*Prime* character selection for *most* fans are dwindling FAST, you lost customers there.....

DR/CS just seems to get worse and worse, you lost customers there.....

AND NOW....talk of all this, which will UNDOUBTEDLY loose you EVEN more customers there if it happens.....

Where are you gaining any thing? New customers? Gimmie a break...The support for this line is already here or already left. Any one just coming in to the game now is negligible.

At this point and I feel that I'm being kind, your probably loosing at least 10 for every 1 gained.

Loosing ANY customers at this time in the game would spell certain doom as we wouldn't be talking just a few subs. here or there, but high hundreds or even possibly thousands for cuts like these.

I don't care which would get the cut, whether it be the accessories, deco, or packaging crowd. *Each* of those markets would most certainly take tons of subs. along with them down the drain if lost.

They all have equal value as each one is too big to loose any and yet survive.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    First off, I just want to say that I can't believe we are barely one month in to 2013, and we are already so worried about 2014! I include myself as part of that problem. The thing is, Netossa still sold out in two days, in spite of mixed reviews, a higher price point, and a lack of accessories. Plus, we know that Ram Man and Jitsu are going to sell out quick. I know that with Netossa people will point out that her production numbers could have been very low. That's been discussed at length, so there is no need to get into that.

For me personally, I am pretty much a MOTUC addict and will buy them no matter what. With or without packaging, decos, etc. I would surely have plenty to complain about, but I would still have my monthly MOTUC fix, which I'm pretty addicted to after 4 years .

I'm not so sure Mattel would want to go to the effort to downgrade the line so much to keep it going. Contrary to what I'm sure many believe, Mattel wants to produce a certain level of product quality, and to knowingly produce figures that are way below the quality level of previous figures probably wouldn't seem worth it.

I just hope we can squeeze (no pun intended ) through 2014 and 2015 so that the majority of what we want is made, and then go to pre-orders and sprinkling out the remaining characters after that.
    ^^^ This. And who's to say that 2014's sub sales are going to be low? They could be higher than 2013's considering how some of the figures will be very sought after bringing back resellers. And furthermore next year with character selection could bring back some international customers.
    Mattel I demand the following:

Spinwit,Spinnerella, The Scientists, Rio Blast, Mara, Crita, Kayo, Mermista,

My Facebook, check it out!