Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The USPS......Just a Ranting/Venting Thread

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar

USPS.... really, now, WHAT have you done this time?

Postage rates went up recently... basic first class for a small package is now 50 cents more than it was. The worst part is that international basic air mail rates have shot up even worse.

2 weeks ago I sent a MH doll to a buyer in New Zealand, it cost about $7 air mail. Today I sent a small figurine to someone in Canada, and it cost $7 as well? Last week I sent someone in Canada some loose toy weapons, little over $3 to mail. This means I'm not even going to offer international sales anymore on my stuff, which doesn't make up too much of my personal sales anyway, but buyers aren't going to be too happy about a $4 minimum price increase on postage.
    If you are a member of Yo Joe or Joe Customs, you are no friend of mine.

I hate to say it, but shipping is probably going to go up every year...just like the cost of fuel, utilities, taxes, groceries, etc. With that said, sellers will have to charge more/ buyers will have to pay more for shipping. It sucks, but that's just how it is. RARELY does anything ever go down in cost. Wish it did

MOST WANTED:
    Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Despara, Quakke, Master Sebrian, NA Prince Adam, Tuvar, Bahdrah, Illumina, Crita, Dylamug, 200X Prince Adam, Songster, Filmation Evil Seed & Marzo, Stridor, Night Stalker, & Snake Mountain.

*My iTrader Feedback
    *My MOTU_Maniac Feedback Thread

Well, one good thing that can come of this is the planned free Delivery Confirmation on First Class International (now Package International). It's available for Canada at the moment, but I read that they hope to add that service to 19 more countries in the near future.

While First Class International was the cheapest method, it didn't offer any form of tracking aside from the customs label number that only showed when the item was accepted. Now that this option is being looked at (as it should have been all along), it should be easier to sell items internationally on eBay, for example. Before, the only viable option was Priority International due to the tracking number being available. For many sellers (including myself), there was the fear of selling to dishonest people who took advantage of the system, and filed complaints stating they never received their items leaving the seller out the product and the money. Hopefully this will alleviate that problem now .

Regards,
    Victor P.

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    Well, one good thing that can come of this is the planned free Delivery Confirmation on First Class International (now Package International). It's available for Canada at the moment, but I read that they hope to add that service to 19 more countries in the near future.

While First Class International was the cheapest method, it didn't offer any form of tracking aside from the customs label number that only showed when the item was accepted. Now that this option is being looked at (as it should have been all along), it should be easier to sell items internationally on eBay, for example. Before, the only viable option was Priority International due to the tracking number being available. For many sellers (including myself), there was the fear of selling to dishonest people who took advantage of the system, and filed complaints stating they never received their items leaving the seller out the product and the money. Hopefully this will alleviate that problem now .

Regards,
    Victor P.
    I hadn't heard that, so that is VERY GOOD news indeed!

MOST WANTED:
    Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Despara, Quakke, Master Sebrian, NA Prince Adam, Tuvar, Bahdrah, Illumina, Crita, Dylamug, 200X Prince Adam, Songster, Filmation Evil Seed & Marzo, Stridor, Night Stalker, & Snake Mountain.

*My iTrader Feedback

Only with a bump to $6.55 minimum for a 1-2 ounce package I'm not even sure I can call this "free" tracking, and USPS delivery confirmation has always been vastly inferior to UPS and Fedex's up to the minute tracking info. This means even a small packet to Canada now costs twice as much to mail as it did before and none of the personal possessions I sell is going to warrant anyone paying those rates to get them into Canada. I see prices for bigger packages being even worse so I won't offer to ship outside the US anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Only with a bump to $6.55 minimum for a 1-2 ounce package I'm not even sure I can call this "free" tracking, and USPS delivery confirmation has always been vastly inferior to UPS and Fedex's up to the minute tracking info. This means even a small packet to Canada now costs twice as much to mail as it did before and none of the personal possessions I sell is going to warrant anyone paying those rates to get them into Canada. I see prices for bigger packages being even worse so I won't offer to ship outside the US anymore.
    USPS vs UPS/FEDEX is like comparing Apples and Oranges, they are not the same and offer vastly different services from top to bottom.

Priority Mail did not change that much so either get used to pay the higher price or don't ship. First Class was always underpriced and I am surprised it is just now they are upping it.

I despise First Class because its unreliable and unless you use stamps.com basically useless if a package gets lost/stolen (which they do moreso then Priority), I even cut it out all of December because I just was not going to risk my stores profits on subpar shipping.

International users like to complain because of the costs but will not hesitate to take your money when the cheap shipping option showed why its cheap and they want their money back.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

diosoth,

No one is arguing about USPS' tracking system being inferior to UPS & FedEx.......that's long been a given, and as I mentioned in my prior post it baffled me as to why First Class International never offered a tracking system. At least they don't charge "Fuel & Residential Surcharges" unlike their competitors, however. Gotta' remain competitive somehow.

Yes, it's too bad about the prices to ship things to Canada, and price increases overall. I mail things internationally all the time, here and on eBay, and the last time I mailed a 10 ounce package to Canada (loose/complete MOTUC fig shipped in the white mailer box) it cost a little over $6. Now, it would be $9.15 to ship. And yes, shipping Priority International using the Small Flat Rate Box has risen $7 from $16.95 to $23.95.......yikes. But if the planned proposal to add 19 countries for the Delivery Confirmation option via First Class Package International, that could potentially be a big draw.

Regards,
    Victor P.

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    USPS vs UPS/FEDEX is like comparing Apples and Oranges, they are not the same and offer vastly different services from top to bottom.

Priority Mail did not change that much so either get used to pay the higher price or don't ship. First Class was always underpriced and I am surprised it is just now they are upping it.

I despise First Class because its unreliable and unless you use stamps.com basically useless if a package gets lost/stolen (which they do moreso then Priority), I even cut it out all of December because I just was not going to risk my stores profits on subpar shipping.

International users like to complain because of the costs but will not hesitate to take your money when the cheap shipping option showed why its cheap and they want their money back.
    Very true its happened to me a couple times and deal with insurance claims with USPS take a long time. I shipped an item to France and the tracking showed it arrived to France but hasn't been delivered yet. I think the package got stuck in customs. Buyer filed PayPal claim and gets all their money back.
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

I've only had 1 problem with first class domestic in the past 5 years- a GBA game never arrived and I refunded the $5. But I'm small volume.

I do think this will cut down on international sales, buyers won't be as wiling to pay the markups, especially on small cheap items. I don't mind as much, I'm content to ship domestic as it is. as far as Paypal goes, I know they're dirty enough to side with buyers even if you have proper tracking, because so many people have lost cases either way. If I could get people to actually send USPS money orders I'd take them exclusively, but some people won't go to the PO to get them, others think it means Western Union and have no idea USPS sells money orders. Though all it'll take is 1 buyer claim against me and I'll cut all Paypal acceptance.

I also wonder if this will affect incoming mail in any way? Kind of figure the "this item is $2 with free shipping from China" days are too good to last forever. Price hikes like this could also adversely affect stuff like Smartpost- somehow I'd not be too surprised if Amazon raises the minimum order limit on free shipping this year- TRU already did, from $59 to $79. Amazon bumping it to $30 minimum seems possible.

The USPS......Just a Ranting/Venting Thread

Okay, so I just got back from the Post Office, and I'm pretty peeved !!!

I mail plenty of items a month, especially internationally to quite a few members here on these forums. I've mailed some items via Priority Mail International, for which a flat $23.95 fee is charged for the Small Flate Rate Boxes. I've used that particular box at times, but have mainly used the Priority Mail Large Video Flat Rate Box (0-1096L) as it's a little bigger than the small flat rate boxes. Here's where the situation I faced gets interesting.

Like I mentioned, I've used this box plenty of times, and have always been charged $23.95 because that's the price it's supposed to be. It shows that way online, and when the box is scanned it shows up as $23.95 on the small terminal where you swipe your card to make payment. Last month, I went to the counter and had this box to mail, and a clerk (who is normally pretty affable) and has been there for over 12 years wanted to charge me $36.95 because the box didn't say 'Flat Rate'. On everything you research about the box, although it does not say 'Flat Rate' on the box, it IS flat rate for international shipments, but not for domestic. Even the pop-up window when calculating international prices shows this box without the 'Flat Rate' designation. Weird, I know, but I didn't set these prices/regulations, the USPS did. She had never seen this box before at all, and went to another clerk for assistance. He told her to scan the box (as other clerks who accepted this box did numerous times before), and lo and behold, $23.95 was the price. She wasn't too happy about being wrong, begrudingly admitted I was right, and that was that.......or so I thought.

About an hour ago I went to mail some international items, and she wanted to again charge me the $36.95 for using this box. It didn't matter to her that I told her to scan the box, nor did it matter to her that once more the price showed $23.95 for this Large Video box on the terminal, nor that this is the price as listed on the USPS website itself, but she flat out told me I was wrong and that she should have "stuck to her guns" last time. She also informed me that the "guy in charge" told her to not take this box again at the $23.95 price, and to charge $36.95. I felt so angry, because everything shows that the fee for this box used internationally is $23.95, yet they made me feel like a criminal and that I was "cheating" them somehow. What gives, who's in the right here?

Regards,
    Victor P.

Heroic Warrior ShowerPowerFrosta's Avatar
    How does she plan on charging you $36.95 when the system scans at $23.95? Is she going to override the scanned price with a higher price? Or not scan it at all?

Is there another post office you can use, or a number you can call/email you can use to ask about it?

The PO in question is a block away from where I live, and there's not another one for miles. I'm on the phone right now with USPS, and have a Case already filed and open against this particular Post Office. This kind lady acknowledged that what I said holds true in her system as well, $23.95. We'll see what happens....

call 1-800-ask-usps and complain.

I mailed a package to Canada Wednesday, and despite customs forms having basic tracking until it leaves the US, it's still not showing up online. Furthermore, the local PO has outdated equipment and has developed a policy of "we only provide you the tracking number of you request it". Why even buy tracking if they won't give you the number as policy? Without the number it's worthless.

This is why I print postage at home through PayPal, and don't bother with flat rate boxes (they are usually a rip off).

Was it shipped via First Class International? The reason I ask is due to new regulations in January that stated Canada would now have Delivery Confirmation if utilizing FCI, whereas before there was no tracking number on any international shipments using this service.

I've had a few shipments to Canada that showed tracking when it reached a processing/sorting center, and sometimes it took a few days to show up in the system. It probably depends on designated zones pertaining to where you live, but for me the processing/sorting center for International Shipments shows up for me as being in Chicago. As I see you're located in Cincinnati, it should show up in the system either late tonight, or very early A.M.

Keep us updated...

Regards,
    Victor P.

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    Was it shipped via First Class International? The reason I ask is due to new regulations in January that stated Canada would now have Delivery Confirmation if utilizing FCI, whereas before there was no tracking number on any international shipments using this service.

I've had a few shipments to Canada that showed tracking when it reached a processing/sorting center, and sometimes it took a few days to show up in the system. It probably depends on designated zones pertaining to where you live, but for me the processing/sorting center for International Shipments shows up for me as being in Chicago. As I see you're located in Cincinnati, it should show up in the system either late tonight, or very early A.M.

Keep us updated...

Regards,
    Victor P.

No clue, I try to avoid buying from Canadian sellers due to the shipping headaches.

My post was in response to diosoth.....

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

USPS Problem: Need Help!

Ummm...I'm kind of devastated right now. My MOTUC Castaspella and Shokoti were supposed to arrive today. My parcel made it to the correct sorting facility in Allen Park, Michigan yesterday...but they didn't even TRY to route it to the correct address (they've previously sent my correctly labelled parcels to similar zip codes). It went from New England, to Michigan, to New England again. It's now in Illinois. I e-mailed USPS to see if it could be routed back to Michigan, as they didn't attempt to deliver it. UNFORTUNATELY, USPS's tracking still only shows that it left Nevada 5 days ago...so I don't know if they will/can do anything for me. It says it can take up to 2 days for a reply.

Does anyone know what I should do? I will freak out if I lose my Shokoti and Castaspella because of that cursed sorting facility!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Ummm...I'm kind of devastated right now. My MOTUC Castaspella and Shokoti were supposed to arrive today. My parcel made it to the correct sorting facility in Allen Park, Michigan yesterday...but they didn't even TRY to route it to the correct address (they've previously sent my correctly labelled parcels to similar zip codes). It went from New England, to Michigan, to New England again. It's now in Illinois. I e-mailed USPS to see if it could be routed back to Michigan, as they didn't attempt to deliver it. UNFORTUNATELY, USPS's tracking still only shows that it left Nevada 5 days ago...so I don't know if they will/can do anything for me. It says it can take up to 2 days for a reply.

Does anyone know what I should do? I will freak out if I lose my Shokoti and Castaspella because of that cursed sorting facility!
    I have been having A LOT of mis-routed packages over the last 1-2 weeks. It started once the USPS started offering the 1-,2-, or 3- day Priority Mail. Every since then things have actually taken longer to get to me and they seem to go to the wrong sorting facility. For instance, I shipped something from Louisville, KY to Lexington, KY (which is a little over 1 hour apart) that was supposed to take 1 day. The package went from Louisville, KY to Warrendale, PA to Nashville, TN to Knoxville, TN to Lexington, KY. What is only 1 hour apart took 4 days to get to them because of the crazy re-routing.

I believe your package will still arrive (as all of mine have), but it may take a little longer.

MOST WANTED:

*My iTrader Feedback

Yeah they will no doubt get it right, I have also had USPS problems lately. I sent a package to IL (the next state over) and it went to IL then was routed to TN and then back to IL. Took 18 days to go 5 hours
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

This happens a lot actually. I have had quite a few packages misdirected through the Bell Gardens facility that is by me in CA. The packages can take an extra week or more, but at least they always come eventually.
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Oh, I know about Allen Park. Items being stolen from packages, envelopes being cut open (not ripped, CUT), and packages getting weird reroutes from their intended addresses. And this is just what's happened to me in the past year. It's pretty bad when former AND current postal employees describe the place as a "****-hole", and can't understand why better-run, more efficient sorting facilities were shut down in favor of that one.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. I don't know is USPS read my e-mail yet, but the tracking shows my parcel is back at the Allen Park sorting facility now! I think it should be here tomorrow. I'm SO exciting. I was really worried yesterday because I've been dying for Shokoti and Castaspella ever since they were shown off.

MOTU_Maniac, it's interesting the problems you've had have been within the last 1-3 weeks. My mail problems have been fairly recent too.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Yeah they will no doubt get it right, I have also had USPS problems lately. I sent a package to IL (the next state over) and it went to IL then was routed to TN and then back to IL. Took 18 days to go 5 hours
    That's crazy!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    MOTU_Maniac, it's interesting the problems you've had have been within the last 1-3 weeks. My mail problems have been fairly recent too.
    The USPS just updated their Priority Mail service and I think they are still working out the bugs which is causing it to actually be worse than it was before. Hopefully they get things straightened out and your package arrives real soon.

BTW, I thought you lived in Canada?

MOST WANTED:

*My iTrader Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    The USPS just updated their Priority Mail service and I think they are still working out the bugs which is causing it to actually be worse than it was before. Hopefully they get things straightened out and your package arrives real soon.
    Interesting. I hope the bugs get fixed soon!

BTW, I thought you lived in Canada?
    I do live in Canada, but get my MOTUC stuff shipped to the US. Quicker, cheaper, tracking number = safer. Well...at least I know where it is.