Thread: USPS.... really, now, WHAT have you done this time?

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar

USPS.... really, now, WHAT have you done this time?

Postage rates went up recently... basic first class for a small package is now 50 cents more than it was. The worst part is that international basic air mail rates have shot up even worse.

2 weeks ago I sent a MH doll to a buyer in New Zealand, it cost about $7 air mail. Today I sent a small figurine to someone in Canada, and it cost $7 as well? Last week I sent someone in Canada some loose toy weapons, little over $3 to mail. This means I'm not even going to offer international sales anymore on my stuff, which doesn't make up too much of my personal sales anyway, but buyers aren't going to be too happy about a $4 minimum price increase on postage.
    I would sooner gouge my eyes out with a heated spoon than watch Jem. I consider it to be a terrible cartoon. There. I said it.

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I hate to say it, but shipping is probably going to go up every year...just like the cost of fuel, utilities, taxes, groceries, etc. With that said, sellers will have to charge more/ buyers will have to pay more for shipping. It sucks, but that's just how it is. RARELY does anything ever go down in cost. Wish it did
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

Well, one good thing that can come of this is the planned free Delivery Confirmation on First Class International (now Package International). It's available for Canada at the moment, but I read that they hope to add that service to 19 more countries in the near future.

While First Class International was the cheapest method, it didn't offer any form of tracking aside from the customs label number that only showed when the item was accepted. Now that this option is being looked at (as it should have been all along), it should be easier to sell items internationally on eBay, for example. Before, the only viable option was Priority International due to the tracking number being available. For many sellers (including myself), there was the fear of selling to dishonest people who took advantage of the system, and filed complaints stating they never received their items leaving the seller out the product and the money. Hopefully this will alleviate that problem now .

Regards,
    Victor P.

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    Well, one good thing that can come of this is the planned free Delivery Confirmation on First Class International (now Package International). It's available for Canada at the moment, but I read that they hope to add that service to 19 more countries in the near future.

While First Class International was the cheapest method, it didn't offer any form of tracking aside from the customs label number that only showed when the item was accepted. Now that this option is being looked at (as it should have been all along), it should be easier to sell items internationally on eBay, for example. Before, the only viable option was Priority International due to the tracking number being available. For many sellers (including myself), there was the fear of selling to dishonest people who took advantage of the system, and filed complaints stating they never received their items leaving the seller out the product and the money. Hopefully this will alleviate that problem now .

Regards,
    Victor P.
    I hadn't heard that, so that is VERY GOOD news indeed!
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

Only with a bump to $6.55 minimum for a 1-2 ounce package I'm not even sure I can call this "free" tracking, and USPS delivery confirmation has always been vastly inferior to UPS and Fedex's up to the minute tracking info. This means even a small packet to Canada now costs twice as much to mail as it did before and none of the personal possessions I sell is going to warrant anyone paying those rates to get them into Canada. I see prices for bigger packages being even worse so I won't offer to ship outside the US anymore.
    I would sooner gouge my eyes out with a heated spoon than watch Jem. I consider it to be a terrible cartoon. There. I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Only with a bump to $6.55 minimum for a 1-2 ounce package I'm not even sure I can call this "free" tracking, and USPS delivery confirmation has always been vastly inferior to UPS and Fedex's up to the minute tracking info. This means even a small packet to Canada now costs twice as much to mail as it did before and none of the personal possessions I sell is going to warrant anyone paying those rates to get them into Canada. I see prices for bigger packages being even worse so I won't offer to ship outside the US anymore.
    USPS vs UPS/FEDEX is like comparing Apples and Oranges, they are not the same and offer vastly different services from top to bottom.

Priority Mail did not change that much so either get used to pay the higher price or don't ship. First Class was always underpriced and I am surprised it is just now they are upping it.

I despise First Class because its unreliable and unless you use stamps.com basically useless if a package gets lost/stolen (which they do moreso then Priority), I even cut it out all of December because I just was not going to risk my stores profits on subpar shipping.

International users like to complain because of the costs but will not hesitate to take your money when the cheap shipping option showed why its cheap and they want their money back.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

diosoth,

No one is arguing about USPS' tracking system being inferior to UPS & FedEx.......that's long been a given, and as I mentioned in my prior post it baffled me as to why First Class International never offered a tracking system. At least they don't charge "Fuel & Residential Surcharges" unlike their competitors, however. Gotta' remain competitive somehow.

Yes, it's too bad about the prices to ship things to Canada, and price increases overall. I mail things internationally all the time, here and on eBay, and the last time I mailed a 10 ounce package to Canada (loose/complete MOTUC fig shipped in the white mailer box) it cost a little over $6. Now, it would be $9.15 to ship. And yes, shipping Priority International using the Small Flat Rate Box has risen $7 from $16.95 to $23.95.......yikes. But if the planned proposal to add 19 countries for the Delivery Confirmation option via First Class Package International, that could potentially be a big draw.

Regards,
    Victor P.

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    USPS vs UPS/FEDEX is like comparing Apples and Oranges, they are not the same and offer vastly different services from top to bottom.

Priority Mail did not change that much so either get used to pay the higher price or don't ship. First Class was always underpriced and I am surprised it is just now they are upping it.

I despise First Class because its unreliable and unless you use stamps.com basically useless if a package gets lost/stolen (which they do moreso then Priority), I even cut it out all of December because I just was not going to risk my stores profits on subpar shipping.

International users like to complain because of the costs but will not hesitate to take your money when the cheap shipping option showed why its cheap and they want their money back.
    Very true its happened to me a couple times and deal with insurance claims with USPS take a long time. I shipped an item to France and the tracking showed it arrived to France but hasn't been delivered yet. I think the package got stuck in customs. Buyer filed PayPal claim and gets all their money back.
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

I've only had 1 problem with first class domestic in the past 5 years- a GBA game never arrived and I refunded the $5. But I'm small volume.

I do think this will cut down on international sales, buyers won't be as wiling to pay the markups, especially on small cheap items. I don't mind as much, I'm content to ship domestic as it is. as far as Paypal goes, I know they're dirty enough to side with buyers even if you have proper tracking, because so many people have lost cases either way. If I could get people to actually send USPS money orders I'd take them exclusively, but some people won't go to the PO to get them, others think it means Western Union and have no idea USPS sells money orders. Though all it'll take is 1 buyer claim against me and I'll cut all Paypal acceptance.

I also wonder if this will affect incoming mail in any way? Kind of figure the "this item is $2 with free shipping from China" days are too good to last forever. Price hikes like this could also adversely affect stuff like Smartpost- somehow I'd not be too surprised if Amazon raises the minimum order limit on free shipping this year- TRU already did, from $59 to $79. Amazon bumping it to $30 minimum seems possible.