Thread: Why is Jon Chu directing another movie?

Why is Jon Chu directing another movie?

If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

A.) Because currently there is not movement on the MOTU movie and a director needs to keep working.
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

heavy-eternium who posts here asked Chu on Twitter if this means MOTU is on the back burner and this was his reply: no not at all! More to come...

I will say that, even though it looks telling on the surface, it’s actually not unusual at all for a director to attach themselves to more than one project just after they've completed a film. It keeps their options open. I guess we'll find out more in March and April. When Chu is doing all the publicity for GI Joe 2 people are bound to ask him about MOTU. I still think that if GI Joe 2 is a hit Sony will push ahead. Remember, Escape Artists’ deal with Sony Pictures expires at the end of 2015. So that’s food for thought.

these are usual things in the movie business, does not mean much. anyway this movie is far in the panorama of Disney and its hundreds of projects.
    anyway if not jon chu they will elect another director, this is not crucial for the future of the movie.

motu movie is in development and most likely this year confirming the release date.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    these are usual things in the movie business, does not mean much. anyway this movie is far in the panorama of Disney and its hundreds of projects.
    anyway if not jon chu they will elect another director, this is not crucial for the future of the movie.

motu movie is in development and most likely this year confirming the release date.
    I am kinda sceptical about release date (i was right last year - i was the one on Escape Artist FB page). I hope i am wrong since this is taking like forever now (only what we always hear is - script developement)

Hmm. I bet that Chu is moving on. If Gi Joe 2 is a hit, his agent might suggest a more high-profile gig like "Matched" as opposed to risky cult franchise like MotU.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

If JJ Abrams can direct the Star Trek movies and Episode VII then Jon Chu can direct another movie while MOTU is in development. I don't see a problem.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    I am kinda sceptical about release date (i was right last year - i was the one on Escape Artist FB page). I hope i am wrong since this is taking like forever now (only what we always hear is - script developement)
    there are developments and developments, in the motu case The script is very advanced, jon chu agreed to be the director because he was impressed with the script, that means there is a solid basis.
    besides they are already working on designs according to the vice president of Sony.
    MOTULA.ORG

Going by how these things have worked in the past when a director has attached himself to numerous projects at once, I think Chu will direct one or the other. He won't be directing both. One of them will enter development hell, no doubt. Easy to say it will be MOTU because it’s been there so often before, but there are many reasons why MOTU is actually likely to get off the ground at Sony Pictures (the Senior Vice President of the studio itself being on the film's side, which is a very big deal, and the deal with Escape Artists' which is set to expire at the end of 2015). Another thing I will say, this other film Jon Chu is attached to at Disney has been in its own state of development hell. It’s also had another director in the past. You know, its not just MOTU that's affected by such things. That's just the way Hollywood works.
    Last edited by Krueger; February 5, 2013 at 07:35pm.

Court Magician
    So i've got feedback on my question to Jon (on Facebook). And anwser goes like this, well i will also write down my question

Me: Come on mate give us at least little glimpse of news on M.O.T.U.
    Go or definetilly No Go? Mostly what do we hear is - still in developement stage (screenplay and other stuff)... It's taking it for ages now - i am gonna get to old for the you know what
    Cheers
    Jon: ha! We are working on the script and designing a bunch of stuff in the world and characters..... it's looking really fun...

Ah, so that was you. I saw the response earlier today. It’s pretty similar to the answer Devon Franklin gave on Twitter recently. I really think it could happen this time. As I said, I think things depend heavily on how GI Joe 2 performs.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Ah, so that was you. I saw the response earlier today. It’s pretty similar to the answer Devon Franklin gave on Twitter recently. I really think it could happen this time. As I said, I think things depend heavily on how GI Joe 2 performs.
    Yeah that was me For now i am afraid so (GI Joe 2 Perform) and really didn't give any anwser but preety much what we heard alreaddy

He actually answered someone else a little further down from you. Basically, they asked the same thing as you did and this was his reply:

we are still getting the script refined and designing a bunch of costumes/set pieces etc. Coming together, but it takes time to build the whole world from scratch! more to come

If they are designing a bunch of costumes/set pieces etc ,that means the movie is on pre-production.
    MOTULA.ORG

I find "set pieces" interesting. Does he mean locations (sets and whatnot) or action sequences? It could mean either one.

Hopefully "set pieces" means that the movie won't just be one big green screen mess. Also I hope they don't make anybody have a full 3d costume like Warner Bros. did with Green Lantern.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!