Thread: Keeping the packaging?

Heroic Warrior

Keeping the packaging?

From the standpoint of collecting loose figures for display and having limited storage space, how do you all feel about holding onto the opened packaging? What do you guys do with this stuff. I am asking specifically for my Ghostbusters, He-Man, and GIJOE collection. I need Helpful advice because I am ignorant of these things and unable to make an educated guess.
    Wants / Feedback
    SDCC 2008 King Greyskull / Bronze(Spirit) variant
    Zodak x2, Mossman (both variants)
    Keldor x1, Gygor x2
    Wun-Dar / Map of Eternia
    Weapon Packs & Castle Grayskull Figure Stands
    TRU MOTU/DC 2 packs
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ight=Novacaine

I do not keep it. However, sometimes I keep the elastic bands used in the packaging because those can be put to use in some pretty nifty ways.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

It depends, of course, how much space you actually have. I keep all my packaging -- for now. If you don't have space to keep packaging, you might want to try selling it off (in lots) or trading it off for what else but more figures. I think you can usually find somebody who is looking for packaging. I tossed the packaging for some of my first DOTM deluxes and now I regret it. I would definitely buy them if I see someone is selling them in nice shape at a fraction of the cost of buying another figure of the same.

The packaging condition also matters. I slice either the top or the bottom of the bubble with an exacto knife. I can then pull out the inner tray with the figure. No damage is done to the cardback. I can even put the figure back in the bubble. The insert will fit tightly in and will usually keep the figure and the accessories from falling out. It is a bit of inconvenience -- especially when you buy as many figures as I do. It has to be done carefully. But packaging that isn't in really good shape is probably not worth hanging on to.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    American toy packaging now is rarely meant to be saved. You can theoretically save a Monster High box if you very carefully de-box the doll, but good luck ever getting the doll back in it properly. I know people tend to flatten and save the boxes but I just cut them up with the rest of my thin cardboard and mix them in with the cat litter to save money on that. Between cutting up toy and food boxes I really stretch how far that goes.

Clamshell packaging can be carefully cut open but it's still obviously cut open. Some people will slit the bottom of a blister open to slide the tray out, but some packaging- Transformers, etc- have funny shaped blisters which make that hard. Bratzillaz packaging has to be totally destroyed to get those dolls out. Given the slight but obvious retailer problems of return swapping, I wouldn't be surprised to see more toy packages that have to be mangled and all but destroyed to get the toy out just to prevent people stuffing some old junk back into the box and returning it to the store.

Japanese toys though tend to come in packages that are meant to be kept- a vacu-formed tray with a lid that slides into a box. We very rarely get this in the US and it's usually for high-priced "collectible" toys. Some retail boxed toys get trays but almost never a lid, just toys held to the tray with rubber bands or ties.

The only part of the packaging that I keep are the card backs for my MOTUC figures. The rest of the packaging takes up too much space and I'd rather have that space for more toys.

for the most part, i chunk toy packaging. i have a hard enough time keeping my place clutter-free. the boxes and card backs out there don't wow me that much. i may be interested in it when it comes to a new toy line, but the interest always goes away quickly. i rarely ever find myself wanting to look at it later. the only exceptions are gi joe file cards and imported toy boxes.

i keep the joe file cards from the 25th/30th anniversary line because it was something i had fun reading over and over as a kid. gi joe was the only one where i did this, and i decided to keep the anniversary cards because they were styled the same as the old toys. with lines like transformers or tmnt, i would read the bios before opening them, but i rarely saved them. newer lines don't have anywhere near the same charm as the old ones did, so i don't feel compelled to hold onto them.

with imported toys, i save the boxes for three reasons: the packaging is much more interesting (partly because the design grabs my attention more, but also because i love looking at non-english text), the packaging is almost always designed to be reused (good luck finding that with american toys), and it's a lot harder to come across the items, so it feels more important that i keep it for posterity.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I saved the cardbacks from my 25th anniversary Joes, and I save all the MOTUC cardbacks. (I cut the backs off of the deluxe/oversized figures.) I don't mind keeping on fairly manageable stack of cardboard, but everything else gets tossed or recycled.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

If you plan to re-sell stuff, Japanese packaging is worth keeping because collectors will pay more and you have a convenient box pre-molded to keep the toy safe in transit. US packaging, not so much. That big cardback take sup a lot of box space and postage is factored by weight and size. Paying a few dollars extra for a big cardback isn't something a lot of buyers want to do- if you were collecting something cheap like 90s star Trek, you'd probably want to seller to de-box everything to mail cheap, or you'll pay more to ship MOC toys that aren't worth $3 each anyway.

I don't know why US boxes don't mimic Japanese toy packaging- it seems like they'd use the same plastic and cardboard content, and less printing with only the outside of the box printed.

Heroic Warrior ShowerPowerFrosta's Avatar
    I toss and burn all my packaging. The only exceptions are the box my revoltech Asuka came in, and the box for my Joan Jett barbie. I tried to toss the Joan Jett box once.. but.. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I stopped keeping packaging a good while ago. Just takes up WAY too much space, and I have no idea when I'd be reusing the packaging. I used to keep fancy boxes from Japanese figures (still have a bit of a problem with that) and the backs of cards that had cool art or information. Now, if I just HAVE to have the info, I cut it off the packaging and keep it in bins 'n such. For instance: I cut off the bios from MotUC figures, and clip off the filecards from G.I. Joes. With Japanese figures I've found myself cutting off the back of the box. They'll have some info or cool pics usually, and eventually I'd like to use them as a background of a display. Of course, if that doesn't pan out, I may end up getting rid of those too.

So yeah, I guess the short answer is that I toss the packaging or cut out the peices I want so they all lie flat and neat in a bin of some sort.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I keep all my card backs. I just file them in a comic box by brand. MOTUC's I keep in the white mailers, they will hold alot of them, especially if you turn them opposite ways because of the plastic tab. Boxes like the Star Sisters, I clip the bio & toss the box. Granamyr, Wind Raider & CG are the only boxes I keep, & thats just because of the art.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Clawful Ofit View Post
    I keep all my card backs. I just file them in a comic box by brand. MOTUC's I keep in the white mailers, they will hold alot of them, especially if you turn them opposite ways because of the plastic tab. Boxes like the Star Sisters, I clip the bio & toss the box. Granamyr, Wind Raider & CG are the only boxes I keep, & thats just because of the art.
    It sounds like almost all of you are saying the same thing; toss the clamshells and keep any filecards/cardbacks. Thanks guys for the advice.
    Wants / Feedback
    Keldor x1, Gygor x2
    Wun-Dar / Map of Eternia
    TRU MOTU/DC 2 packs

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I just cut out the bios & keep them. I keep the names, icons, art & some of the background art to use for dioramas.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

Add me to the list of people who save GI*JOE file cards and Japanese toy boxes but toss out just about everything else.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

As a kid, I'd try my best to cut and save as much of the file cards and such as possible. Whatever action figure buys I make now, it depends. I do have a habit of saving my MOTUC and Star Wars Vintage collection cards in a filing cabinet. The few Transformers I may pick up or DC Classics, go straight to recycle. I think it's mainly the bios for MOTUC and being a sucker for the photos in the SW Vintage cards that make my choice.

Heroic Warrior
    I guess call me a bit dumb but what in the sam hill is a japanese box ?
    Wants / Feedback
    Keldor x1, Gygor x2
    Wun-Dar / Map of Eternia
    TRU MOTU/DC 2 packs

Quote Originally Posted by Novacaine View Post
    I guess call me a bit dumb but what in the sam hill is a japanese box ?
    Oh, just the packaging from a Japanese figure. They aren't always boxes, but often times it'll be a real elaborate package that is just SO friggin' hard to throw away. There's usually all sorts of nice pics or art, or its just really easy to close after you open it in case you want to put the toy back in again. They're so nice that I always end up keeping them around.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I keep the clamshells. I open them carefully so they can be repackaged in them. Dunno why as I'm never gonna sell them but I do.

Heroic Warrior
    I keep the packaging of the rare ones, there are times I will buy two of something to open one, and keep the other sealed, and throw the packaging away then. I collect Transformers, and He-Man heavily for over ten years. I do have quite a bit of packaging stored up. It really all depends what it means to you.

LOL, I am having this problem right now. I had been keeping my Vinylmation boxes but recently decided they were taking up space so I got rid of them. Now, I'm looking to unclutter my office room even more. But some of the packaging is so lovely.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    If it's vintage, I keep the packaging. If it's modern, I toss it into the garbage.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

If the packaging can add to the resale value, keep it.

If the packaging is worthless, or even hurts resale value(it'd cost more to ship a toy with the box than it would on its own) then toss it.

I don't worry about artwork. In the internet age we can find high-res copies online, usually without text clutter or parts cut off for box space. I could find a high-res clean copy online and have it printed on card stock for $1 at a local print shop. Though American toys seem to rarely get artwork anymore, they prefer photos of the toy. Transformers just get promo stills at best and usually only the character's head.

Generally I'll keep cardbacks if they contain a bio or interesting artwork, otherwise out they go. Even just keeping those I've now got quite a few boxes full that are taking up more space than I'd like.