Thread: The Alien Movies Thread (the good, the bad, the far out)

The Alien Movies Thread (the good, the bad, the far out)

Everyone loves alien movies, and as with my vampires movies thread, this one will be to discuss our favorite. You can discuss the movies, or your favorite aliens and why. As far as aliens go, I've always felt that nothing compares to the AVP franchise,taking the good and bad as a whole. Star Wars may be the pinnacle of sci fi, in the sense that it is broad spectrum and far reaching, but the Aliens movies made the idea of encountering lifeforms from other worlds, truly frightening.

The Far Out
    Star Wars (all of them included here, just too many to list)
    Predator
    Predator 2
    Independence Day
    Alien
    Aliens
    Alien Resurrection
    ET
    Prometheus

The Good
    Dark City
    Species
    Species II
    The Astronaut's Wife
    Alien 3
    Pitch Black
    Close Encounters of The Third Kind
    The Thing
    Alien VS Predator
    Alien VS Predator 2
    District 9
    Slither
    Contact
    Cloverfield
    The Faculty
    War of The Worlds

The Ugly
    Invaders From Mars
    Apollo 18
    Signs
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; February 4, 2013 at 04:06am.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I know a lot of bad Alien movies. It's almost hard to think of a good one. I must spend some time on thinking up some good ones. .
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Alien Resurrection and the AVP movies are not even remotely good. Nor is Predator 2 or Avatar.

And The Thing belongs in the Far Out list.

Oh, and you forgot about Sunshine and Event Horizon.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I really liked Fire in the Sky.

Spaced Invaders is a pretty cool alien comedy I remember liking as a kid.

I also thought The Forth Kind was pretty decent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Alien Resurrection and the AVP movies are not even remotely good. Nor is Predator 2 or Avatar.
    Predator 2 is awesome!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Master of New Adventures!
    Imo, ALIENS is the film to which all other aliens movies should be compared. Great plotline, great characters -- Vasquez...Gawd! -- great dialog and some of the best grabs-you-by-the-collar-and-pulls-you-through-it action in any film. Please don't get me started on Sigourney.

the Donald Sutherland INVASIONS OF The Body Snatchers is one of my all one fav flick!! does this count as a alien flick?
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    What?! No Mac and Me?

No Aliens in the Attic?!

No Martians Go Home?!

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Just going to hit on a few.......

Killer Clowns From Outer Space - Bad, yet good. (I haven't seen it in years....probably couldn't stand it now)

I never was a big fan of E.T.

K-Pax was cool

Mars Attacks - IMO one of the worst movies ever made.

Alien movies and Predator movies I like. Together, not so much.

Transformers is fun

Signs - IMO M.N.S's best film.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    Killer Clowns From Outer Space - Bad, yet good. (I haven't seen it in years....probably couldn't stand it now)
    Killer Clowns will always be good!

And let's not forget * Batteries Not Included...

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Aliens rocks! It has everything in it that makes a movie kick-ass, and still holds up very well today.

A few others:

The Hidden: A surprisingly good twist on the buddy cop movie, like

Alien Nation: also a decent movie, but strangely enough I preferred the TV series more.

Carpenter's Thing is a true classic, but the original Thing is also a great movie, and the recent prequel, though lacking the suspense of Carpenter's version, is a well-done homage with much love behind it.

The Day the Earth Still: the original, not the Keaunu remake that started well but fell apart quickly. Evil Dead: Army of Darkness wouldn't be the same without it.

Outlander: a hidden gem, with an alien soldier teaming up with Vikings () to kill a particularly nasty "dragon".

Men in Black: The first was just fun, second okay, the third was better than expected.

The Star Trek movies: they range from very good (Wrath of Khan, First Contact, Star Trek reboot) to "umm, okay?" (Star Trek I and V).

Attack the Block: ...I think that's the title. Alien creatures invade a British neigborhood. The British slang is pretty thick, but the movie is a blast.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    And what could be cooler that getting a direct sequel to the original Aliens?

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Imo, ALIENS is the film to which all other aliens movies should be compared. Great plotline, great characters -- Vasquez...Gawd! -- great dialog and some of the best grabs-you-by-the-collar-and-pulls-you-through-it action in any film. Please don't get me started on Sigourney.
    I think the original is superior. It didn't have massive levels of testosterone that Aliens has. Plus, the women in Aliens all look way too butch.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

invaders from mars may not be a good movie, but i'll always like it (the remake. never saw the original) because of the krang-esque alien at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    I really liked Fire in the Sky.
    that movie scared me so much when i first saw it. wouldn't go outside at night for weeks.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    These are the few good ones I could think of. If its was a list of the ones I didn't like the list would have been longer.

Space Balls
    Star Wars movies
    Mars Attacks
    Cocoon
    Batteries not included
    Star Trek movies
    Explorers
    Coneheads
    Starship Troopers
    Men In Black movies
    Cronicals Of Ridick
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    Skyline was awesome IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Absolutely 100% agree. My older brothers watched them when I was a kid. Yeah....I was a little scared to say the least. But i've come to enjoy them even more now as an adult.

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody remember Critters?? Enjoyed it as a kid. And yes...it was goofy.

I saw the original in the movie theater and it scared the crap out of me. Having seen it many more times however, my biggest complaint is that imo it takes far too long to get going. I understand that it's a thinking person's film and I like that, too. But at least to me ALIENS was superior. I rather liked Vasquez' butch attitude and look btw. I've been in the military during wartime and I can tell you I'd be comfortable having that gal by my side. I'm also a fan of high testosterone levels. Just as my Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I think the original is superior. It didn't have massive levels of testosterone that Aliens has. Plus, the women in Aliens all look way too butch.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Skyline was awesome IMO
    Uh...

Battle Los Angeles was better, but even that sucked.

Ironic that you mentioned Critters. Excellent film and it really holds up quite nicely. Rock 'n' Roll alien bounty hunters. Sheesh! How much fun is that?!

Last Saturday night my son's eighth grade class held an all-night Rock-a-thon event in the school gymnasium to raise money for their trip to D.C. this spring. All of them brought DVDs to watch on a 52" TV and I had Alex bring Critters. He said (in a rather surprised tone) that everyone really like it. Probably helped that none of them had heard of it before, but it's nice to show him that the old man still knows something about movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcan View Post
    Absolutely 100% agree. My older brothers watched them when I was a kid. Yeah....I was a little scared to say the least. But i've come to enjoy them even more now as an adult.

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody remember Critters?? Enjoyed it as a kid. And yes...it was goofy.