Thread: Need help designing a toy room! :)

Hybrid View

Need help designing a toy room! :)

OK, so he'es a quick rundown on what i need help with:

With luck, by the end of this month, my wife and I will be moving into our first home together. I am lucky enough that she is letting me have one of the rooms all to myself to do whatever I please... so naturally it is becoming a toy room! It's not going to be a huge room, but a full room nonetheless. The hard part is deciding how I'm going to design it. For now, the only MOTU items i have out are figures from the classics line spread across 4 of the famous Detolf cases from IKEA. I have other figures from various toy lines (DCUC, Thundercats, TMNT, TFs) on miscellaneous bookshelves spread around that I would also like to bring into this room, in addition to busting the vintage and 200x toys from storage. What I'm mainly looking for are any ideas you may have in mind for how I can make the room amazing.

I can certainly add many more Detolf cases for a slightly higher end look than $30 walmart bookshelves provide.... I can paint the walls with murals depicting the scenery from various properties (Here is a link to an unfinished mural i did for a friend)... I can put up framed vintage MOTU posters like the ones from MOTU magazine... or if space isn't TOO limited in the end... maybe even build some sorta landscape similar to how Mattel displays MOTU at SDCC (although this may severely limit how much i could display).

The room will mainly focus on the figures and accessories, while i have been granted "permission" to have cooler, larger items like the NECA Skeletor statue, and things like that in more common areas of the house.

I am begging for any and all advice you can offer either from experience, or cool stuff you have seen. ANY pictures you can provide will also make things a thousand times easier a month from now! MOTU will certianly be the main focus of the room for sure, but I'd like to squeeze some of the key pieces from other lines in as well.

I promise tp update with pics as the project begins after move in day
    Proud member of the Arizona MAZTERS since 2003

Here's a link to my toy room and hopefully it will give you some ideas. Good luck!

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/platinumfist/
    Psalm 18:32 - "It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect."

Wow - how lucky that your wife is "is letting me have one of the rooms all to myself to do whatever I please... " and that you "have been granted "permission" to have cooler, larger items like the NECA Skeletor statue, and things like that in more common areas of the house."

I have a Comic/Figure room I just did it and my girlfriend didn't have any say. And if she did, I'd have let her go very quickly.

I think the main motivation for the room is that when we first moved in together, and I started displaying things that I had in storage, while collecting new figures at the same time.... it didn't take long until about any horizontal surface in the condo became a toy shelf.. and I do mean about anything. Looking back, it was a very sloppy hodgepodge approach to showing things off. She's all for the idea of showing off our combined nerdy side stuff from toys to video games and such all over, just so long as it's not college dorm looking, lol. If I recall correctly, she described the idea as a classy Big Bang Theory sorta feel to it.
    Proud member of the Arizona MAZTERS since 2003

The most radical zombie, in all Eternia!
    YouTube: Mal TV - Metal, Toys, Video Games, & Beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by Thrashor View Post
    Not original, US government already has one scheduled.

http://thenextweb.com/shareables/201...ed-to-respond/

Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    Wow - how lucky that your wife is "is letting me have one of the rooms all to myself to do whatever I please... " and that you "have been granted "permission" to have cooler, larger items like the NECA Skeletor statue, and things like that in more common areas of the house."

I have a Comic/Figure room I just did it and my girlfriend didn't have any say. And if she did, I'd have let her go very quickly.

How lucky that your girlfriend "didn't have any say" and if she did you would "let her go very quickly."

She should treasure the love you have for her, and the value you find in her input.

I will just echo what others have said, in that relationships change once you put a ring on it. And if you're in the right kind of relationship (i.e. one in which BOTH parties understand the concept of give and take), then it changes for the better.

I think it is very generous for a spouse to give up an entire room for his or her partner's hobbies. That's a room that could have been a guest room, a study, an entertainment room, a nursery, a home office, a room for the OTHER person's hobbies, etc.

Anybody that doesn't recognize what a treasure that is needs to take a step back and reevaluate.

As for the OP, I've got no suggestions, as I just pile mine wherever there is space, but please share pics when you're done!
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

I have had many friends whose wives did not like their collecting at all and they were all so much more tame than my collection. I found the perfect woman, she doesnt give a crap about all my stuff, but she allows me to be who I am. I am currently building a 2 story 24x32 shop in my back yard to house my toys in. I have not begun to start moving stuff in and it will be a while until I can start displaying. My wife likes to call me a functional hoarder. I have been stacking up boxes with the dream of one day having my shop. Now I cant wait to get it done to move the stuff in, but I have a feeling that I will need to scale back on a lot as I will not have enough room to display everything either. I will continue to check on this thread for ideas too.

Heroic Warrior
    I'll be rearranging some stuff in my house in the next few months and putting together my MOTUC display with the help of IKEA. They have a 2-cube x 4-cube shelving unit in the Expedit line... I plan to get 3 of these, with one laying horizontally, and the other 2 standing vertically at the ends. They also have some glass-door inserts I'll probably get to avoid/reduce the Arizona dust for figures in cubes. Each cube will have some kind of scene with a handful of figures posed dynamically (fight scenes, battle prep, etc.)... I'll also probably get some of their Dioder lights (multicolor) to help light up the figures and set the mood in each cube (blue/aqua for water/caves, red for Horde/dragon areas, green for forests, etc.).

When my 2 Castle Grayskulls arrive at the end of the year, I'll either put them both on the horizontal unit or one on top of each vertical unit. Giants, Granamyr and anything else too big to fit in a cube will be displayed on top of the various units.

Oh, and if it wasn't obvious, I'm a loose collector/displayer.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    I've found myself in that spot (having things collected and stored to one day display) more often than one where I could use an entire room, and I wouldn't call that hoarding. Especially if it's packed up and organized with the intent. I also consider anybody who is allowed (yes, allowed, as in given permission from pleading) to have a display room is extremely lucky.

There's nothing like breaking open a collection that's been boxed for over a year or so, very fun!

I need to take some pictures of my new space. It's not really at that point yet, but maybe close enough to get some feedback on. Better to see a mistake while you're working on it rather than thinking your done, only to have mishaps pointed out I guess.

I try not to knock other peoples collection or preferences, if they like it, then that's what counts. I like a very organized room. My interest in collecting is about the history of what I collect, the condition of the items, sometimes rarity (not as often anymore though), as well as the obvious underlying nostalgia. When I see a well organized, carefully arranged display I see respect for what they do. When I see a bunch of stuff cluttered together, it makes me mainly think of my dream room as a kid. And you what, that could be what it's about for some people too, and that reflects nostalgia as well. Anyway, when I see clean and focused displays I don't see boring at all. I don't go to a museum and think "wow, these paintings are so boring," but instead understand that they are to be reflected on, studied with attention, and taken seriously, but still easily enjoyed and organized to tell a story, or reflect a period of time or particular movement. Now, these are toys we're talking about, not paintings from masters long sense dead, but to us He-Nerds, it's all relative. You can pose them on a shelf and it still be clean. In fact, that's a lot of fun for people. Taking the time to subtlety pose a character to reflect their attitudes or reactions to another character, that's fun. It's in the same vein that people take well composed photos. Taking time with something again shows care and respect, and I enjoy that most of all, and it being digestible to where I can understand what's going on, that's nice. Some people don't plan on showing their collections to anybody else, and it's all for them. I like to share though, makes good conversation.

I do have this one section, on top of some selves along one wall, where I've jam packed it with boxed stuff, and then filled the wholes with some loose odds and ends. No theme, really just extra stuff. So I can see the charm in having a compacted area as well. I just try to keep it more contained then crazy.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

master of hiphop
    you can see my room in my link

i went with paint that was matched to Grayskull .. glass cabinets a center piece for the middle of the room and some vintage posters, clean clear and ready to view !!
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumFist View Post
    Here's a link to my toy room and hopefully it will give you some ideas. Good luck!

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/platinumfist/
    Where did you get those glass shelving units that look to be customizable? (The ones your figures are one that is next to the WindRaider)

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    Where did you get those glass shelving units that look to be customizable? (The ones your figures are one that is next to the WindRaider)
    I got them from a local retail store that was closing on craigslist. I just did a search for "glass shelves" or "glass cubes".
    Psalm 18:32 - "It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect."

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumFist View Post
    I got them from a local retail store that was closing on craigslist. I just did a search for "glass shelves" or "glass cubes".
    Thanks...they look great. I'm on the hunt!

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Setting up a single room is a great idea! Not that stuff can't also be elsewhere, but you know what I mean.

It's always a good idea to ask for your significant other's input. And it's great that you have her support! I would think the person doing it anyways, without asking, and implying that the decision would make or break the relationship, is the weak link of the pair.

You got it made now though!

Here are my suggestions, but of course, it's different for everybody...

Glass! Dusting is okay, but eventually simply dusting things won't clean them like you would expect, and the dust ultimately gets more and more stuck on. Keeping them behind glass prevents your collection from getting grimy, and saves you time, as cleaning glass doors is much faster that dusting shelf by shelf. The Detolf cases you already have are legendary for collectors. Cheep and efficient. If they work for your collection, you are in luck! Also the adjustable Billy cases. They have optional glass doors, and you can buy the parts as your budget sees fit.

Also, glass shelves. Just like the Detolf, you can get glass shelves for all but the center shelf of the Billy cases. This let's nice light in, and gives you a better view of the lower shelves when standing up close. I use these for my lego wall. Four of them side-by-side. They aren't as deep, but the customization is great!

Also, keeping the major display areas organized and letting the items have room really helps me enjoy my collection. Even if this means rotating pieces in and out, almost like a museum would do.

I have two walls of glass shelves, and I give everything nice space, and in one closet I jam it packed. I also have another lower shelf that I put slider drawers in, so that I can pack storage in there, and not clutter the room. I would suggest thinking of out-of-site storage as well as display area. I know that seems counterintuitive when designing a display room, but the help in organization really goes a long way.

Also, I use my room as an "office," ~wink~. A desk sitting in the middle of the room with a laptop is really all it is. I like it getting a little use other than nerd room, and being around all your favorite stuff really helps your creativity flow. My wife likes to go in there and do her work as well. It's actually become a rather relaxing room, but again, I do keep it as neat as possible.

Sunlight. I've learned to totally keep it out, no matter how nice it makes the room feel. Anything that's white or clear will get hurt the most, but honestly, it's not just plastic that sunlight will destroy, and it will do worse things than just fading or discoloring. Time will always be the death of things, but the sun really helps it along.

At first my friends thought I was crazy. I put thick white sheets up in the window (so it still looked normal from the outside with our white blinds behind it), and then I actually covered the window wall with shelves. The back of these shelves is solid and completely blocks out the light. I even have special lightbulbs for lighting, and defuse them so it's not so harsh. People don't even notice that I've covered windows. A nice, intentional looking design will do the trick.

Airflow. When measuring for the placement of you cases, don't cover any vents. This is a no-brainer, but sometimes slips the mind. You need to keep the room climate controlled, and you want the moister to have an escape. Also, don't place shelves in such a way that they'll get too much heat or air conditioning from a vent. Extreme temperatures draw the moister from the air, and it will accumulate in the shelves and on your items. Extreme heats, both ways, is just bad. In my last room I noticed a shelf was too close to a heat vent, and it had boxed items (like a roton and night stalker I think), which could have warped or easily caught moister. I had to rework the room, and this was after I had them all filled with toys. I knew better this last time.

Anyways, that's just some of the stuff I've been through. Every time in my life where I've had the opportunity (and permission!) to hook up a nerd room, I did it, and enjoyed even minute of it.

Don't let people put you down because of it. Everybody on the org will probably support you 1000%! But there are people out there that are rude, and might make you think your room is either overly self involved, or more often childish. I found that displaying stuff nice and organized, and not cluttered, gets a good response from tough crowds. I like to share my junk with everybody, even though it is mainly for me (and the cleanliness of the house for it being in the room), so I still try to keep things digestible.

If your style is ultimate clutter madness though, then that's awesome too! Do what you want, have fun, good luck, and congratulations!!!
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by roykop View Post
    Need help designing a toy room!
    My suggestion...4 walls and a ceiling. These are a must!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!