Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help designing a toy room! :)

Need help designing a toy room! :)

OK, so he'es a quick rundown on what i need help with:

With luck, by the end of this month, my wife and I will be moving into our first home together. I am lucky enough that she is letting me have one of the rooms all to myself to do whatever I please... so naturally it is becoming a toy room! It's not going to be a huge room, but a full room nonetheless. The hard part is deciding how I'm going to design it. For now, the only MOTU items i have out are figures from the classics line spread across 4 of the famous Detolf cases from IKEA. I have other figures from various toy lines (DCUC, Thundercats, TMNT, TFs) on miscellaneous bookshelves spread around that I would also like to bring into this room, in addition to busting the vintage and 200x toys from storage. What I'm mainly looking for are any ideas you may have in mind for how I can make the room amazing.

I can certainly add many more Detolf cases for a slightly higher end look than $30 walmart bookshelves provide.... I can paint the walls with murals depicting the scenery from various properties (Here is a link to an unfinished mural i did for a friend)... I can put up framed vintage MOTU posters like the ones from MOTU magazine... or if space isn't TOO limited in the end... maybe even build some sorta landscape similar to how Mattel displays MOTU at SDCC (although this may severely limit how much i could display).

The room will mainly focus on the figures and accessories, while i have been granted "permission" to have cooler, larger items like the NECA Skeletor statue, and things like that in more common areas of the house.

I am begging for any and all advice you can offer either from experience, or cool stuff you have seen. ANY pictures you can provide will also make things a thousand times easier a month from now! MOTU will certianly be the main focus of the room for sure, but I'd like to squeeze some of the key pieces from other lines in as well.

I promise tp update with pics as the project begins after move in day
    Proud member of the Arizona MAZTERS since 2003

Here's a link to my toy room and hopefully it will give you some ideas. Good luck!

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/platinumfist/
    Psalm 18:32 - "It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect."

Wow - how lucky that your wife is "is letting me have one of the rooms all to myself to do whatever I please... " and that you "have been granted "permission" to have cooler, larger items like the NECA Skeletor statue, and things like that in more common areas of the house."

I have a Comic/Figure room I just did it and my girlfriend didn't have any say. And if she did, I'd have let her go very quickly.

I think the main motivation for the room is that when we first moved in together, and I started displaying things that I had in storage, while collecting new figures at the same time.... it didn't take long until about any horizontal surface in the condo became a toy shelf.. and I do mean about anything. Looking back, it was a very sloppy hodgepodge approach to showing things off. She's all for the idea of showing off our combined nerdy side stuff from toys to video games and such all over, just so long as it's not college dorm looking, lol. If I recall correctly, she described the idea as a classy Big Bang Theory sorta feel to it.
    Proud member of the Arizona MAZTERS since 2003

The most radical zombie, in all Eternia!
    YouTube: Mal TV - Metal, Toys, Video Games, & Beyond!

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrashor View Post
    Not original, US government already has one scheduled.

http://thenextweb.com/shareables/201...ed-to-respond/

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    THese need some updating, but this is how I have things set up:

http://www.thedarkmask.com/rooms/rooms1.htm

My thing is stacking the shelves basically up to the ceiling, as you can see. The shelves are actually made from foamboard, covered with posterboard. This allows me to actually use small wood screws and screw the figures onto the shelf, which makes dusting and moving the shelf a lot easier. I use some regular shelf brackets for bigger displays, but for smaller shelves, I use door mending brackets, little metal brackets that form a nice right angle and hold the shelves nicely. As long as the room is air conditioned, it works nicely and allows me to fit the shelves to the figures and maximize space usage. The best part is that the stuff I'm not displaying is stored in cardboard storage cartons which are actually under and behind the displays closer to the floor, so I have a good amount of storage space, as well. And if I need to get at those boxes, I simply move the displays in one piece, since everything is fastened in place.

Good luck with the room, and keep us posted. Can't wait to see how things turn out.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumFist View Post
    Here's a link to my toy room and hopefully it will give you some ideas. Good luck!

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/platinumfist/
    Where did you get those glass shelving units that look to be customizable? (The ones your figures are one that is next to the WindRaider)

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    Not original, US government already has one scheduled.

http://thenextweb.com/shareables/201...ed-to-respond/
    Yea, the US Govt responded to that ridiculous petition already.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/theova...ition/1830107/

Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    Wow - how lucky that your wife is "is letting me have one of the rooms all to myself to do whatever I please... " and that you "have been granted "permission" to have cooler, larger items like the NECA Skeletor statue, and things like that in more common areas of the house."

I have a Comic/Figure room I just did it and my girlfriend didn't have any say. And if she did, I'd have let her go very quickly.
    Umm... I hope you realize there is a big difference between a girlfriend and a wife ! When you get married, the power dynamic shifts completely.
    Last edited by Kowl; February 5, 2013 at 12:33pm.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by roykop View Post
    Need help designing a toy room!
    My suggestion...4 walls and a ceiling. These are a must!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    Where did you get those glass shelving units that look to be customizable? (The ones your figures are one that is next to the WindRaider)
    I got them from a local retail store that was closing on craigslist. I just did a search for "glass shelves" or "glass cubes".
    Psalm 18:32 - "It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect."

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumFist View Post
    I got them from a local retail store that was closing on craigslist. I just did a search for "glass shelves" or "glass cubes".
    Thanks...they look great. I'm on the hunt!

Setting up a single room is a great idea! Not that stuff can't also be elsewhere, but you know what I mean.

It's always a good idea to ask for your significant other's input. And it's great that you have her support! I would think the person doing it anyways, without asking, and implying that the decision would make or break the relationship, is the weak link of the pair.

You got it made now though!

Here are my suggestions, but of course, it's different for everybody...

Glass! Dusting is okay, but eventually simply dusting things won't clean them like you would expect, and the dust ultimately gets more and more stuck on. Keeping them behind glass prevents your collection from getting grimy, and saves you time, as cleaning glass doors is much faster that dusting shelf by shelf. The Detolf cases you already have are legendary for collectors. Cheep and efficient. If they work for your collection, you are in luck! Also the adjustable Billy cases. They have optional glass doors, and you can buy the parts as your budget sees fit.

Also, glass shelves. Just like the Detolf, you can get glass shelves for all but the center shelf of the Billy cases. This let's nice light in, and gives you a better view of the lower shelves when standing up close. I use these for my lego wall. Four of them side-by-side. They aren't as deep, but the customization is great!

Also, keeping the major display areas organized and letting the items have room really helps me enjoy my collection. Even if this means rotating pieces in and out, almost like a museum would do.

I have two walls of glass shelves, and I give everything nice space, and in one closet I jam it packed. I also have another lower shelf that I put slider drawers in, so that I can pack storage in there, and not clutter the room. I would suggest thinking of out-of-site storage as well as display area. I know that seems counterintuitive when designing a display room, but the help in organization really goes a long way.

Also, I use my room as an "office," ~wink~. A desk sitting in the middle of the room with a laptop is really all it is. I like it getting a little use other than nerd room, and being around all your favorite stuff really helps your creativity flow. My wife likes to go in there and do her work as well. It's actually become a rather relaxing room, but again, I do keep it as neat as possible.

Sunlight. I've learned to totally keep it out, no matter how nice it makes the room feel. Anything that's white or clear will get hurt the most, but honestly, it's not just plastic that sunlight will destroy, and it will do worse things than just fading or discoloring. Time will always be the death of things, but the sun really helps it along.

At first my friends thought I was crazy. I put thick white sheets up in the window (so it still looked normal from the outside with our white blinds behind it), and then I actually covered the window wall with shelves. The back of these shelves is solid and completely blocks out the light. I even have special lightbulbs for lighting, and defuse them so it's not so harsh. People don't even notice that I've covered windows. A nice, intentional looking design will do the trick.

Airflow. When measuring for the placement of you cases, don't cover any vents. This is a no-brainer, but sometimes slips the mind. You need to keep the room climate controlled, and you want the moister to have an escape. Also, don't place shelves in such a way that they'll get too much heat or air conditioning from a vent. Extreme temperatures draw the moister from the air, and it will accumulate in the shelves and on your items. Extreme heats, both ways, is just bad. In my last room I noticed a shelf was too close to a heat vent, and it had boxed items (like a roton and night stalker I think), which could have warped or easily caught moister. I had to rework the room, and this was after I had them all filled with toys. I knew better this last time.

Anyways, that's just some of the stuff I've been through. Every time in my life where I've had the opportunity (and permission!) to hook up a nerd room, I did it, and enjoyed even minute of it.

Don't let people put you down because of it. Everybody on the org will probably support you 1000%! But there are people out there that are rude, and might make you think your room is either overly self involved, or more often childish. I found that displaying stuff nice and organized, and not cluttered, gets a good response from tough crowds. I like to share my junk with everybody, even though it is mainly for me (and the cleanliness of the house for it being in the room), so I still try to keep things digestible.

If your style is ultimate clutter madness though, then that's awesome too! Do what you want, have fun, good luck, and congratulations!!!

I could have taken my whole office, but instead I chose to use the closet. I had Transformers hanging on strips I made from Vertical blinds, split in half and tabs cut in them. They were made for Hot Wheels, so the tabs were close together, but still spaced decently to use for Transformers. Basically, those hanging strips you see in grocery store aisles holding little stupid crap....that is what I based my strips on, but mine were the length of the blinds I used of course, like 5" I think.

But I changed my mind, and sold off some of the lesser wanted Transformers, and Hot Wheels, so, the strips weren't a necessity any longer. And instead of opting for walls full of shelves for displays, I chose to leave the Office as it was, an Office, and use the Walk In Closet for my display room instead. At the moment I don't have every single thing on display, I don't want every single thing on display, I have small dresser with 5 drawers, that I keep the other stuff in. I have what I want on display, and have plenty of room left for more MOTUC and even Transformers. If I need even more room, I can get a few plastic shelves from Meijer or something.

I have a small collection of things unlike some, but I am happy with my little display room, it's just hard to take pictures sometimes, other than that, I love it.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    Yea, the US Govt responded to that ridiculous petition already.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/theova...ition/1830107/

Umm... I hope you realize there is a big difference between a girlfriend and a wife ! When you get married, the power dynamic shifts completely.

Having been together for 6 years and lived together for 5 - there's not a lot of difference between girlfriend and wife. I can also tell you if I was forced to choose between her and my comic room - wouldn't even have to think twice. Goodbye girlfriend!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawbridge View Post
    Don't let people put you down because of it. Everybody on the org will probably support you 1000%! But there are people out there that are rude, and might make you think your room is either overly self involved, or more often childish. I found that displaying stuff nice and organized, and not cluttered, gets a good response from tough crowds. I like to share my junk with everybody, even though it is mainly for me (and the cleanliness of the house for it being in the room), so I still try to keep things digestible.
    That happens less than you might think. For a long time I had a display of the commemorative MOTU figures in a window in my office (gave me an excuse to get them) and I had all of one person come in and basically say it looked like a playroom. Everyone else came in, some specifically because they saw the figures, and said they remembered the cartoon or had the toys. It actually turned out to be something of a good marketing move, as some of those people then asked about the program I worked for and signed up!

So don't let the small handful of naysayers take the fun out of it. Far, far more folks will get something positive from it, if not just being reminded of cherished toys or characters from their youth.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    So don't let the small handful of naysayers take the fun out of it. Far, far more folks will get something positive from it, if not just being reminded of cherished toys or characters from their youth.
    Agreed!

They do have a show about it (collector intervention), that puts a negative light on it. That show probably has all of ten viewers, but the network had to think there was a large enough schadenfreude audience out there ready to consume it.

There are more positive reactions than bad ones (providing it's not reaching the super creepy levels), but those rare bad ones stand out is all, and they shouldn't. People will use it as a jab, and to me it says tons about their character and nothing about yours. Actually, having a room shows a good amount of responsibility and respect to the rest the house and those you live with. Which is very important to me anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawbridge View Post
    Agreed!

They do have a show about it (collector intervention), that puts a negative light on it. That show probably has all of ten viewers, but the network had to think there was a large enough schadenfreude audience out there ready to consume it.

There are more positive reactions than bad ones (providing it's not reaching the super creepy levels), but those rare bad ones stand out is all, and they shouldn't. People will use it as a jab, and to me it says tons about their character and nothing about yours. Actually, having a room shows a good amount of responsibility and respect to the rest the house and those you live with. Which is very important to me anyways.
    Some people have no idea how to display anything, that is the problem. But that Collector Intervention, was lame, and fake. They made it seem like collecting is hording, and I don't even think it's on anymore.
    Now the people on Toy Hunter, not sure how real that one is, but I know people with collections like that, that store them in boxes only remember half of what they have and really never see 3/4 of it again in their lifetime. Nor is it ever seen by eyes again until the collector is long gone, and someone has to clean it out.

Sorry, but that's not the way I want to collect, I will never store a garage full of boxed toys away, I'd turn the garage into a showroom before that, I want to physically see 3/4 to all of my collection, only storing away extras or pieces I am not overly fond of, but then again those pieces....I'd rather sell than box up. That is why I sold a lot of my lesser wanted Hot Wheels and Transformers. My collection was much greater than it is now, I had over 400 Hot Wheels, now about 150, almost 150 Transformers, now down to about 80, and all of my Hot Wheels and Transformers are not on display, but they are accessible in my toy room, either viewable in drawers in a dresser, or on my shelves. I just don't have room for 150 Hot Wheels on the walls in my toy room (closet) so I have my favorites on display. But I may put the rest in the main Office space, I haven't decided yet.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    Not for everyone!
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    THese need some updating, but this is how I have things set up:
    http://www.thedarkmask.com/rooms/rooms1.htm
    My apologies Scott, but this room looks like the equivalent of visual vomit. A well designed 'display room' should have a nice combination of a few shelves and cases, but with good restraint exercised. Openly displayed figures which are pell mell around a room don't convey a sense of order and eventually just look like chaos personified. In other words, the eye has no where to rest because everything is competing for its attention the minute you walk in the room. Perhaps to the collector everything appears as it should, but old, dusty, and chaotically arranged toys looks more like noise than order.

A well displayed collection is actual more about restraint and good design sense than anything else. Not saying I have a lock on this aesthetic, but I see too many collections which are the polar opposite of this. Again, a few shelves spaced evenly apart on the walls, a few detolf's also spaced and lined appropriately, and most of all... remember to dust and change out your collection every so often. I have many more figures in storage then on display, but that gives me a chance to put things away and pull them back out later on if I choose. Helps bring a sense of both the old and the new together, which only further adds balance.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Heroic Warrior
    Having been together for 6 years and lived together for 5 - there's not a lot of difference between girlfriend and wife. I can also tell you if I was forced to choose between her and my comic room - wouldn't even have to think twice. Goodbye girlfriend!
    Having been married for 8 years, but having lived together and dated for 8 years prior to that I can tell you that you are flat out wrong. There is a BIG difference between living together and being married. BIG difference.

Heroic Warrior
    I've always imagined displaying my collection on tables with scenery and backdrops. But as I don't have anywhere near the space for that, my figures sadly live in boxes most of the time for now. Keeps them clean and safe though.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Yup, totally agree.

Although I do know people that buy stuff with hopes of presenting it one day, and it does end up being a boxed up hoard, so I'm not knocking the situation, as some people just can't display their stuff as they would like to. Money, space, all kinds of stuff can impede. Also, often times people might fall in love with everything little thing they buy, and not know how to focus things down.

Collection Intervention was awkward, and pretty lame. Not sure if it was fake, actually I think there were blogs and junk that followed up and were pretty consistent, but either way they were extreme, and highlighted some people with semi personality disorders. Not representing the larger percentile of collectors. That was the point though I guess, showcase crazy people with an over attachment to their stuff. Didn't last long enough to give a bad name to us all I'm sure. Or if it's still on, then yeah, nobody probably knows about it.

One thing they did mention every single time, was to refine, and weed your collection, and I've learned that lesson myself and completely agree. A large collection doesn't make a great collection. I'll always take down what's no longer working, and if it's obviously not fitting, or I just don't like it, I'll sell it. I got enjoyment out of it at some point (for the most part *cough* spector *cough*), so I don't feel like I've wasted time or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    Having been married for 8 years, but having lived together and dated for 8 years prior to that I can tell you that you are flat out wrong. There is a BIG difference between living together and being married. BIG difference.
    Yep, I agree with you. If someone is willing to choose toys over their personal relationship with someone they love, perhaps they need to reconsider their relationship.

In any case, when you co-habitat with someone else (your spouse, partner, parents, roommates, girlfriend/boyfriend), you have to respect each other desires and come to a good compromise.

Some people's husbands/wives have a no toys displayed throughout the house rule... I'm glad the OP was able to convince his wife to let him have a whole dedicated room to toys in their home.

All of us would like our own mancave, but sometimes our relationships (or space restrictions) dictate otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    I've always imagined displaying my collection on tables with scenery and backdrops. But as I don't have anywhere near the space for that, my figures sadly live in boxes most of the time for now. Keeps them clean and safe though.
    I'm in the same boat... Most of my collection sits in plastic tubs and boxes, waiting for that one day where I'll have a place to display it all!
    Alas, a man in his mid-30s decorating his house in toys is not sociallly acceptable to everyone.
    Last edited by Kowl; February 6, 2013 at 01:23pm.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

How lucky that your girlfriend "didn't have any say" and if she did you would "let her go very quickly."

She should treasure the love you have for her, and the value you find in her input.

I will just echo what others have said, in that relationships change once you put a ring on it. And if you're in the right kind of relationship (i.e. one in which BOTH parties understand the concept of give and take), then it changes for the better.

I think it is very generous for a spouse to give up an entire room for his or her partner's hobbies. That's a room that could have been a guest room, a study, an entertainment room, a nursery, a home office, a room for the OTHER person's hobbies, etc.

Anybody that doesn't recognize what a treasure that is needs to take a step back and reevaluate.

As for the OP, I've got no suggestions, as I just pile mine wherever there is space, but please share pics when you're done!