Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help designing a toy room! :)

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    My apologies Scott, but this room looks like the equivalent of visual vomit.
    Wow, don't hold back, now.

You're entitled to your opinion, and no personal offense taken here, but a few shelves with everything in perfect balance is outright boring to me. If you're so busy making sure everything is perfect and in order, you've lost the whole idea, the fire and excitement of the collection. To me, a collection should be vibrant and alive, with motion and movement, drawing your eye from one thing to another without having to think about it.

We're obviously looking for different things. You want a classic nine panel per page comic book, with each panel the same size and placement to maintain symmetry and balance. I want a Jack Kirby comic, with panels at different angles and things jumping off the page at you. Both are perfectly valid approaches to telling a story (or arranging a collection). There is no one "way it should be done;" which is preferable depends on your perspective and what you are trying to convey.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Wow, don't hold back, now.

You're entitled to your opinion, and no personal offense taken here, but a few shelves with everything in perfect balance is outright boring to me. If you're so busy making sure everything is perfect and in order, you've lost the whole idea, the fire and excitement of the collection. To me, a collection should be vibrant and alive, with motion and movement, drawing your eye from one thing to another without having to think about it.

We're obviously looking for different things. You want a classic nine panel per page comic book, with each panel the same size and placement to maintain symmetry and balance. I want a Jack Kirby comic, with panels at different angles and things jumping off the page at you. Both are perfectly valid approaches to telling a story (or arranging a collection). There is no one "way it should be done;" which is preferable depends on your perspective and what you are trying to convey.
    Yea, Scott... I agree that it's a matter of taste... Your room is WAY too much visually for me too, but its REALLY cool that your collection is so big! I don't think it is "visual vomit" though. I just feel sorry for when you have to pack it all if you move!

Tastes vary when it comes to collection rooms... I prefer the MOC / Museum like approach. Some prefer the figures everywhere approach. No wrong answer! We are all in this together.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    Yea, Scott... I agree that it's a matter of taste... Your room is WAY too much visually for me too, but its REALLY cool that your collection is so big! I don't think it is "visual vomit" though. I just feel sorry for when you have to pack it all if you move!

Tastes vary when it comes to collection rooms... I prefer the MOC / Museum like approach. Some prefer the figures everywhere approach. No wrong answer! We are all in this together.
    I agree a less cluttered display is what I love better, which is honestly why I prefer a MOSC collection....but mine are mostly open, due to a few factors, one not being a loose preference over carded. But as you said, it's all in personal preference. I don't like my loose figures clumped together, I prefer a more linear, side by side single file approach, to me it just looks neater.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8602142&type=3

My current set-up, I just redid it yesterday....again, for the um teen millionth time. I have more loose new and Vintage figures in the dresser drawers, MOTU, TMNT, Transformers.

And I have like another 100 Hot Wheels I don't have out, that are in a box, but I have my favorites in the display room, but I plan to hang like another 30 or so in there.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I have had many friends whose wives did not like their collecting at all and they were all so much more tame than my collection. I found the perfect woman, she doesnt give a crap about all my stuff, but she allows me to be who I am. I am currently building a 2 story 24x32 shop in my back yard to house my toys in. I have not begun to start moving stuff in and it will be a while until I can start displaying. My wife likes to call me a functional hoarder. I have been stacking up boxes with the dream of one day having my shop. Now I cant wait to get it done to move the stuff in, but I have a feeling that I will need to scale back on a lot as I will not have enough room to display everything either. I will continue to check on this thread for ideas too.

Heroic Warrior
    I'll be rearranging some stuff in my house in the next few months and putting together my MOTUC display with the help of IKEA. They have a 2-cube x 4-cube shelving unit in the Expedit line... I plan to get 3 of these, with one laying horizontally, and the other 2 standing vertically at the ends. They also have some glass-door inserts I'll probably get to avoid/reduce the Arizona dust for figures in cubes. Each cube will have some kind of scene with a handful of figures posed dynamically (fight scenes, battle prep, etc.)... I'll also probably get some of their Dioder lights (multicolor) to help light up the figures and set the mood in each cube (blue/aqua for water/caves, red for Horde/dragon areas, green for forests, etc.).

When my 2 Castle Grayskulls arrive at the end of the year, I'll either put them both on the horizontal unit or one on top of each vertical unit. Giants, Granamyr and anything else too big to fit in a cube will be displayed on top of the various units.

Oh, and if it wasn't obvious, I'm a loose collector/displayer.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    I've found myself in that spot (having things collected and stored to one day display) more often than one where I could use an entire room, and I wouldn't call that hoarding. Especially if it's packed up and organized with the intent. I also consider anybody who is allowed (yes, allowed, as in given permission from pleading) to have a display room is extremely lucky.

There's nothing like breaking open a collection that's been boxed for over a year or so, very fun!

I need to take some pictures of my new space. It's not really at that point yet, but maybe close enough to get some feedback on. Better to see a mistake while you're working on it rather than thinking your done, only to have mishaps pointed out I guess.

I try not to knock other peoples collection or preferences, if they like it, then that's what counts. I like a very organized room. My interest in collecting is about the history of what I collect, the condition of the items, sometimes rarity (not as often anymore though), as well as the obvious underlying nostalgia. When I see a well organized, carefully arranged display I see respect for what they do. When I see a bunch of stuff cluttered together, it makes me mainly think of my dream room as a kid. And you what, that could be what it's about for some people too, and that reflects nostalgia as well. Anyway, when I see clean and focused displays I don't see boring at all. I don't go to a museum and think "wow, these paintings are so boring," but instead understand that they are to be reflected on, studied with attention, and taken seriously, but still easily enjoyed and organized to tell a story, or reflect a period of time or particular movement. Now, these are toys we're talking about, not paintings from masters long sense dead, but to us He-Nerds, it's all relative. You can pose them on a shelf and it still be clean. In fact, that's a lot of fun for people. Taking the time to subtlety pose a character to reflect their attitudes or reactions to another character, that's fun. It's in the same vein that people take well composed photos. Taking time with something again shows care and respect, and I enjoy that most of all, and it being digestible to where I can understand what's going on, that's nice. Some people don't plan on showing their collections to anybody else, and it's all for them. I like to share though, makes good conversation.

I do have this one section, on top of some selves along one wall, where I've jam packed it with boxed stuff, and then filled the wholes with some loose odds and ends. No theme, really just extra stuff. So I can see the charm in having a compacted area as well. I just try to keep it more contained then crazy.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

I used a combination of floor shelves and ones made for my wall. Of course my comics are not on the floor all the time, but here is my set up.

Worlds Biggest Meteorb Fan!

The ceiling. I use all the wall space and put posters & characters/vehicles with flight on the ceiling, that way I save wall space. All of my nerdy stuff is in one room, so I have to really cram stuff in, though most is in boxes preparing for a revamp.

Combining. If you can justify it & like it, mix it up. For me it's mostly by brand. MOTU/POP, DC, Marvel, Star Wars ect., but it's all of it. Not just Legends with Legends. All of Marvel goes in one area. Then since I am big into movies & TV, I combine them to one area. Lots of Neca & McFarlane, Diamond Select & Mezco. It would be crazy to have all that stuff on individual shelves. Things like Star Wars & Doctor Who are too big of collections, so they get their own area. Galactica, Rocky, Robocop & others have to share.

Stackable storage totes. Every collector has those extra accessories, parts and whatnot they don't display. I get mine at Family Dollar for $3-$11. The small ones are a big help. They are cheap enough to have one for each lines own accessories, & you don't need to dig as much when looking for 1 specific knife. Less stuff you drag out, less you have to put back.

Closet space. I have a 4 shelf bookcase, 3 comic boxes & 2 totes plus the two shelves on top in mine. All the little totes of accessories are on the bookcase. Cardbacks & instruction sheets are in the comic boxes. Extra, undisplayed, incomplete figs in the big totes. Top shelves are for more random stuff I just don't have out now.

It will be so rewarding once you place that last item, step back and admire YOUR toyroom. It's pretty awesome. Of course you'll never REALLY be done. There is always something to do. Have fun!
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by joseephus View Post
    I used a combination of floor shelves and ones made for my wall. Of course my comics are not on the floor all the time, but here is my set up.
    Awesome collection! Looks like you have every vintage MOTU piece. Very cool.

I think it largely depends on how you have your figures displayed in the first place. If they are mostly just stood in place in rank type formation, vs more in action style poses your room will look different. one of the things I really look forward to when I get a room dedicated to it, will be using back drops behind figures etc instead of just the plain white of the room. Me and the girlfriend have talked about putting our stuff behind glass for the ease of clean issue.

Iwill also probably have more like one wall dedicated to our on card/in box stuff and another to the loose stuff. I am decent at building my own shelving units etc so it would be more getting something to door over what I make to keep the dust out. Because we both have allergies we want to control the dust as best we can. But the problem I do know is while it does that job well it also changes the appearance of the collection. It makes it look more like don't touch, and I put more than just an aesthetic value to these. So I don't want something that looks sterile.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I think it largely depends on how you have your figures displayed in the first place. If they are mostly just stood in place in rank type formation, vs more in action style poses your room will look different. one of the things I really look forward to when I get a room dedicated to it, will be using back drops behind figures etc instead of just the plain white of the room. Me and the girlfriend have talked about putting our stuff behind glass for the ease of clean issue.

Iwill also probably have more like one wall dedicated to our on card/in box stuff and another to the loose stuff. I am decent at building my own shelving units etc so it would be more getting something to door over what I make to keep the dust out. Because we both have allergies we want to control the dust as best we can. But the problem I do know is while it does that job well it also changes the appearance of the collection. It makes it look more like don't touch, and I put more than just an aesthetic value to these. So I don't want something that looks sterile.
    Dust is exactly why I use my closet instead of the room itself, closing the door, keeps almost all the dust out, plus being dark makes sure nothing yellows or fades. And for my MOTUC, I use the card backs for back drops for the figures.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I got a lot of the backgrounds I use for MOTU from the org; it's been a while, so I'd need to check around to find them again, but there are some great backgrounds directly from the Filmation series floating around here someplace. Those backdrops were so well done and colorful that they are perfect behind the figures; they are eye catching, but don't distract you from the main focus, the figures. You can get a lot of great backdrops from screen captures that are like that, as well, especially for those properties that have TV shows like He-Man. That's basically what good cartoon backgrounds are for: giving an environment without taking attention away from the characters. Works well for action figures, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawbridge View Post
    Taking the time to subtlety pose a character to reflect their attitudes or reactions to another character, that's fun. It's in the same vein that people take well composed photos. Taking time with something again shows care and respect, and I enjoy that most of all, and it being digestible to where I can understand what's going on, that's nice.
    That's what I love seeing in displays, where there's a story there somehow, like someone took a splash page from a comic book and gave it three dimensional life. And with figures like MOTUC, figures with a lot of articulation, you can convey the personality of the characters in their posing. In the DCUC line, for example, Darkseid's articulation allows you put him in any action pose, but also allows you to stand him there, one hand behind him, looking down on the battle around him, aloof and above it all as you'd expect him to be. Despite the much reviled drums, MOTUC Sorceress was made to specifically strike her iconic pose. And what good is a
    Spider-Man figure that can't crouch or assume the wild poses the character is known for, or an Iron Man who can't hold his hand out ready to let loose with a repulsor blast? This is why a lot of folks have asked for a He-Man with a wrist that bends the right way to hold the sword aloft for his iconic pose; they want to be able to show the He-Man they know and remember with that figure.
    Last edited by scott metzger; February 7, 2013 at 12:13am.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    I turned my Masters colection into a chessboard with a dungeon.
    Image091.jpgImage113.jpgImage110.jpgImage112.jpgImage123.jpg

It is funny how we all like different stuff. Makes me wonder how often collectors make fun of other collectors more than regular people. Non-collectors probably see the exact same thing, a bunch of toys filling a room. Collectors might get a little more particular.

I've had the opportunity to make a few different rooms. My first room ever, had two square table tops pushed together, with two Expedit shelves under them on the front side. I elaborately made a storage area behind those two shelves (as the desks were very deep) and took my time and nicely applied astro turf across the top of it all. I think it was just shy of 10 feet long, and 4 feet deep. I collected some playmobil rocks and plants and stuff, because it matched nicely with the plastic of the castles.

I also used pathces of other terrain for the other faction hideouts. It was elaborate and very well organized. I had each figure on a stand if they weren't in a vehicle, and the turbodactyle was the only thing flying in the air (not a big fan of messing up my ceilings).

I loved it at the time, but my tastes have changed now that it's out of my system. I wouldn't ever do that again. The dust for one thing, yikes. The amount of space is another factor, I like clean, so that already demands more space than cluttered. But mostly I just personally thought it looked corny, and didn't give the appreciation or respect the collection needed. I also collect moc, but rarely display that, only some vintage moc because they are shallow. I'm a designer though. I like my design clean as well, pixel perfect. Legibility and being easily digested are of the utmost importance to me. I have a friend that's the complete opposite. He doesn't give a crap about dust, even on his vintage stickers! It freaks me out. All his Cobra figures hang out, generally fallen over by the Terror Drome, and his vintage transformers constantly fall off the selves because he makes his shelves out of random stuff and, well, just does what he wants. It's in an unfinished basement, so it doesn't look out of place like it would in a bedroom I guess. He loves it. It freaks me out.

I also though about doing backdrops for my current set up, and went through a few rounds of design with that. At first I used some dry mounted Earl Norm posters that I had duplicates of. They were the perfect width for the Detolf, and I love him to death. It immediately looked too cluttered, and all the time I spent setting it up was exhausting. I decided to try and save the spacing and suction mounting I so elaborately hid back there, and cracked open photoshop and made landscape motifs with the faction logos on them, still inspired (coped, cloned, and duplicated, aka stolen) from Earl's work. The meteor poster with He-Man and Skeletor was perfect for just a space environment btw, if you feel like do some edits yourself. Anyways, that was cluttered looking too. Didn't like it one bit. I like the white. I like how you can see the figure on white. I like the glass shelves. I love that it lets more light in and you can see down through to the lower levels when standing close.

From alternating back and forth, changing my mind, and looking at other peoples collection. Clean is the only thing I can even look at anymore, and it's very interesting that so many people, other collectors especially, see it as boring. Using plain white walls (tan in my case) or non-battle scenes as examples of what they don't want in a collection. I even used yellow an green cases at one time to add color to my lego shelves (which I still have because I paid for them), but as soon as I started adding the white ones, and upgrading some shelves to glass. Again, I'll never turn back. The clarity/visibility of the items on the shelf is so nice and sticking against the white.

I also don't like to customize stuff, and generally try to stick to actual production pieces for display. Historically speaking pre-production stuff is awesome, but fan made stuff sticks out a little to me, unless it's very nice quality, and I'm a bit of a snob on that front. So custom made backdrops that look unofficial, and hobbled together props for scenes, and even the Playmobil stuff that just didn't belong was way out of place to my eyes.

I still have some astroturf on one shelf where my Eternia is chill'n, there's just nothing else I can do with it right now, and that's starting to look cluttered to me.

I fear I'm getting out of control. Maybe I actually need the intervention, yikes!

But until that intervention, I'll continue to try and emulate one of my favorite places to visit, the museum.
    Last edited by Jawbridge; February 7, 2013 at 09:28am.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

master of hiphop
    you can see my room in my link

i went with paint that was matched to Grayskull .. glass cabinets a center piece for the middle of the room and some vintage posters, clean clear and ready to view !!
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jawbridge View Post
    It is funny how we all like different stuff. Makes me wonder how often collectors make fun of other collectors more than regular people. Non-collectors probably see the exact same thing, a bunch of toys filling a room. Collectors might get a little more particular.

I've had the opportunity to make a few different rooms. My first room ever, had two square table tops pushed together, with two Expedit shelves under them on the front side. I elaborately made a storage area behind those two shelves (as the desks were very deep) and took my time and nicely applied astro turf across the top of it all. I think it was just shy of 10 feet long, and 4 feet deep. I collected some playmobil rocks and plants and stuff, because it matched nicely with the plastic of the castles.

I also used pathces of other terrain for the other faction hideouts. It was elaborate and very well organized. I had each figure on a stand if they weren't in a vehicle, and the turbodactyle was the only thing flying in the air (not a big fan of messing up my ceilings).

I loved it at the time, but my tastes have changed now that it's out of my system. I wouldn't ever do that again. The dust for one thing, yikes. The amount of space is another factor, I like clean, so that already demands more space than cluttered. But mostly I just personally thought it looked corny, and didn't give the appreciation or respect the collection needed. I also collect moc, but rarely display that, only some vintage moc because they are shallow. I'm a designer though. I like my design clean as well, pixel perfect. Legibility and being easily digested are of the utmost importance to me. I have a friend that's the complete opposite. He doesn't give a crap about dust, even on his vintage stickers! It freaks me out. All his Cobra figures hang out, generally fallen over by the Terror Drome, and his vintage transformers constantly fall off the selves because he makes his shelves out of random stuff and, well, just does what he wants. It's in an unfinished basement, so it doesn't look out of place like it would in a bedroom I guess. He loves it. It freaks me out.

I also though about doing backdrops for my current set up, and went through a few rounds of design with that. At first I used some dry mounted Earl Norm posters that I had duplicates of. They were the perfect width for the Detolf, and I love him to death. It immediately looked too cluttered, and all the time I spent setting it up was exhausting. I decided to try and save the spacing and suction mounting I so elaborately hid back there, and cracked open photoshop and made landscape motifs with the faction logos on them, still inspired (coped, cloned, and duplicated, aka stolen) from Earl's work. The meteor poster with He-Man and Skeletor was perfect for just a space environment btw, if you feel like do some edits yourself. Anyways, that was cluttered looking too. Didn't like it one bit. I like the white. I like how you can see the figure on white. I like the glass shelves. I love that it lets more light in and you can see down through to the lower levels when standing close.

From alternating back and forth, changing my mind, and looking at other peoples collection. Clean is the only thing I can even look at anymore, and it's very interesting that so many people, other collectors especially, see it as boring. Using plain white walls (tan in my case) or non-battle scenes as examples of what they don't want in a collection. I even used yellow an green cases at one time to add color to my lego shelves (which I still have because I paid for them), but as soon as I started adding the white ones, and upgrading some shelves to glass. Again, I'll never turn back. The clarity/visibility of the items on the shelf is so nice and sticking against the white.

I also don't like to customize stuff, and generally try to stick to actual production pieces for display. Historically speaking pre-production stuff is awesome, but fan made stuff sticks out a little to me, unless it's very nice quality, and I'm a bit of a snob on that front. So custom made backdrops that look unofficial, and hobbled together props for scenes, and even the Playmobil stuff that just didn't belong was way out of place to my eyes.

I still have some astroturf on one shelf where my Eternia is chill'n, there's just nothing else I can do with it right now, and that's starting to look cluttered to me.

I fear I'm getting out of control. Maybe I actually need the intervention, yikes!

But until that intervention, I'll continue to try and emulate one of my favorite places to visit, the museum.
    I have my custom pieces separate from my regular MOTUC figures, to me they fit, because of the way I purposely did them, but I have my collection in order of release, so no way to work them in anyway. That being said, I prefer clean as well, I have my figures lined up straight in rows, no more than a single figure deep, as I can't stand a cluttered mass of figures lumped together. I'm not a loose displayer by any means, but it has become a default in my collection because of space issues before I set my closet up, my MOTUC because of storage issues I thought were arising....but anymore I still keep the packaging so I can have a MOC / loose hybrid collection if I get tired of the predominately loose look.

I would have preferred a MOSC collection to my loose one, but since I have it now, I am still rearranging things and swapping weapons to get my preferred look, I still haven't fully finished the room, and I've been messing with it since October....maybe one day I'll be satisfied, but I doubt it.

I prefer a Museum look too, I have even OCD'd thinking about putting nameplates for my MOTUC figures in front of them. And once King He-Man arrives, I'll have to redo my wall to display the map, so I need 2 identical frames for Shadow Weaver's and his, and I'm trying soon to track down Wun-Dar's map. Time to buy some spackle.....
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Heroic Warrior
    As of right now my SW and GI JOE collection is neatly stored away in a climate control storage unit. My main focus in terms of displaying figures is of course, MOTUC. I have a small section in the living room and that's it!!! My wife won't budge!! lol but even if she did, I really don't have the space right now, so I make due with what limited space I have.

eventually im gonna replace the wood with glass shelving, add glass doors and some lighting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Romadon; February 7, 2013 at 01:04pm.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    The key to collecting and displaying happily is when you control the collection, not when the collection controls you. Everyone has different tastes and styles, and there is no problem with that. I have the majority of my collections boxed up unfortunately, simply because I don't want to junk up my house. If I ever got a huge house where I could have whole rooms dedicated to certain things, that would be ideal. You just don't want to get to a point where you (or your significant other) are overwhelmed by your collection(s). So, display your collection in a way you are comfortable with. Whether that's a room with minimal figures with shelves or an explosion of figures, display it in a way you won't regret it. You're only in it to enjoy it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    The key to collecting and displaying happily is when you control the collection, not when the collection controls you. Everyone has different tastes and styles, and there is no problem with that. I have the majority of my collections boxed up unfortunately, simply because I don't want to junk up my house. If I ever got a huge house where I could have whole rooms dedicated to certain things, that would be ideal. You just don't want to get to a point where you (or your significant other) are overwhelmed by your collection(s). So, display your collection in a way you are comfortable with. Whether that's a room with minimal figures with shelves or an explosion of figures, display it in a way you won't regret it. You're only in it to enjoy it anyway.
    You're a very wise toy collector.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    ~everything this guy just said~
    You've got life under control my friend. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Romadon View Post
    I really don't have the space right now, so I make due with what limited space I have.

eventually im gonna replace the wood with glass shelving, add glass doors and some lighting.
    Looking good though. Nice mix of moc and loose, with good room to grow still. I can visualize it with the glass, seems like it would be super nice, but I'm of course a huge fan.

Mad props for looking out for your wife also. Your a better man than some!

Quote Originally Posted by AGE View Post
    You've got some great stuff going on in there! I had green walls at one point, and I've been thinking of painting over the tan in the room now. It was freshly painted when we bought the house, so it seemed a shame to repaint it (and an added expense I didn't want to pursue), but I might have to reconsider now.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    And once King He-Man arrives, I'll have to redo my wall to display the map, so I need 2 identical frames for Shadow Weaver's and his…

I also want to hang up my vintage posters, and like you, they will need to be in exactly the same frame. I think lots of people feel that way. The nameplates though, yeah you beat my OCD on that one. didn't mean to knock the custom stuff. Some customs look insanely good, and those I would buy if they were more readily available. Joe Amaro stuff comes to mind. Really want a hammer! I'll trade you a map for one if you have it! ~wink~

This is why I always say collecting is about the aesthetics.

I have seen a lot of cool displays with recessed walls, and shelving built into them that also has tiered spots. I have seen some really good battle style table tops. I have seen walls covered with no visible wall with carded figures hanging on them.

for me I prefer simple but something does feel alive which is why I would like to have some kind of backdrop for the figures. For MOTUC I could see the perfect backdrop being the BCI DVD set mural. For say my Star Wars figures or Doctor Who a star field or something. For Monster High, the school or something else.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    Check out this guy's basement (sw related & heavy pics) amazing

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t986657/

OMG... that guy is my hero... I want my MOC He-Man/Thundercat/POP collection to look exactly like that someday!
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Quote Originally Posted by AGE View Post

i went with paint that was matched to Grayskull .. glass cabinets a center piece for the middle of the room and some vintage posters, clean clear and ready to view !!
    That might be one of the best collections I've ever seen on display. Kudos to you my man for a job very well done. A beautiful collection displayed beautifully. But where are all your classics figures? I saw some in there but it looked like it was mostly a vintage display with a splash of everything nice.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never seen anything like that before in my life. That's a TON of space devoted to displaying which I will never have and his display cases are probably worth more than my entire collection. I can't think of a word to describe how I feel after seeing that. I'm just in complete AWW right now.
    My Collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdi0veA8Kn0

Vintage Collector:
    Sell Me your MOC Vintage

My Feed Back Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...61#post3202161

I love some of the suggestions, advice, and samples people have posted so far, I cannot thank you guys enough! Not unexpected.. there are aspects of all of them I would love to incorporate, and will probably have to see how the room evolves as well. It should be a fun adventure to watch unfold

What many of you have reminded me is that i DO want to show more than just figures, i want to show off the boxart from some of my vintage items. I want to incorporate some of the books and non toy related MOTU items I have. I want the room, in whatever form it takes, to show off how important MOTU is to me, and not how much of it I own.. if that makes sense. And if it turns out that the room itself cant show everything all at once and mix in some non MOTU items, it might be fun to have parts of it change every now and again, and give me a reason to stay engaged with it, and not just "set it and forget it" for too long.
    Last edited by roykop; February 7, 2013 at 11:47pm.
    Proud member of the Arizona MAZTERS since 2003