Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help designing a toy room! :)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by GFunny View Post
    That might be one of the best collections I've ever seen on display. Kudos to you my man for a job very well done. A beautiful collection displayed beautifully. But where are all your classics figures? I saw some in there but it looked like it was mostly a vintage display with a splash of everything nice.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never seen anything like that before in my life. That's a TON of space devoted to displaying which I will never have and his display cases are probably worth more than my entire collection. I can't think of a word to describe how I feel after seeing that. I'm just in complete AWW right now.
    What makes this more amazing or crazy, is that a ton of the vintage figures are AFA graded. The modern stuff looks to be stored in regular plastic cases.

I would love one day to see a setup like that devoted to MOTUC, all in Acrylic cases, nicely lit and spaced out.

honestly this guy has inspired me to incase my all my figures, lol but unfortunately i dont have that kinda cash or space.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    Yep, I agree with you. If someone is willing to choose toys over their personal relationship with someone they love, perhaps they need to reconsider their relationship.

In any case, when you co-habitat with someone else (your spouse, partner, parents, roommates, girlfriend/boyfriend), you have to respect each other desires and come to a good compromise.

Some people's husbands/wives have a no toys displayed throughout the house rule... I'm glad the OP was able to convince his wife to let him have a whole dedicated room to toys in their home.

All of us would like our own mancave, but sometimes our relationships (or space restrictions) dictate otherwise.

I'm in the same boat... Most of my collection sits in plastic tubs and boxes, waiting for that one day where I'll have a place to display it all!
    Alas, a man in his mid-30s decorating his house in toys is not sociallly acceptable to everyone.
    This sums up my situation perfectly. My wife does not want to have my "adult collectibles" on display in the house. I did transform my half of the master bedroom walk in closet into a Classics / Star Wars display-o-rama though!
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

Evil Heroic Norwegian

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    Yep, I agree with you. If someone is willing to choose toys over their personal relationship with someone they love, perhaps they need to reconsider their relationship.

In any case, when you co-habitat with someone else (your spouse, partner, parents, roommates, girlfriend/boyfriend), you have to respect each other desires and come to a good compromise.

Some people's husbands/wives have a no toys displayed throughout the house rule... I'm glad the OP was able to convince his wife to let him have a whole dedicated room to toys in their home.

All of us would like our own mancave, but sometimes our relationships (or space restrictions) dictate otherwise. :
    I had Transformers and Hot Wheels donning the walls in my office, a lot of people came over, over time and I felt more like a misfit for having my stuff hanging being in my mid 30's....not that anyone said anything, but it was more me, and that people who had no interests in seeing toys all over a room that was owned by a grown man. So, (at the time I wasn't collecting MOTUC) I put my Hot Wheels and Transformers away, selling off the lesser wanted ones, leaving me a smaller collection I packed away for awhile. I got into MOTUC and there was no way I was packing those awesome things away, so I
    cleaned the clothes and other crap (that could easily go in my shed) out of my Office closet and slowly started setting it up, which to this day, I am still tweaking things in my never ending quest for the
    perfect set-up.

My wife asked me why after all this time I took the stuff down, and I told her, I just wanted to put it away for a while, and I wasn't lying, I just didn't want it taking up Office walls anymore, where everyone could see them that could care less about them, this way I control absolutely who sees anything, as not many people make habits of peeking in people's closets.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    I really like the five tier ladder shelves that they sell at Lowe's. I use one for my MOTUC and one for my G1 Transformers. They are easy to assemble and can hold a ton of figures.

Quote Originally Posted by roykop View Post
    I love some of the suggestions, advice, and samples people have posted so far, I cannot thank you guys enough! Not unexpected.. there are aspects of all of them I would love to incorporate, and will probably have to see how the room evolves as well. It should be a fun adventure to watch unfold

What many of you have reminded me is that i DO want to show more than just figures, i want to show off the boxart from some of my vintage items. I want to incorporate some of the books and non toy related MOTU items I have. I want the room, in whatever form it takes, to show off how important MOTU is to me, and not how much of it I own.. if that makes sense. And if it turns out that the room itself cant show everything all at once and mix in some non MOTU items, it might be fun to have parts of it change every now and again, and give me a reason to stay engaged with it, and not just "set it and forget it" for too long.
    Cool man, keep us posted on how it goes. I always like seeing other people's collections.
    Psalm 18:32 - "It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect."

1. Do as Jawbridge says.
    2. If you want to make the most of your room, and are willing to spend some money, get rid of the Ikea stuff and get a professional to make you a custom glass display.
    3. This is how I had my collection set up in my old place:

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawbridge View Post
    I also though about doing backdrops for my current set up, and went through a few rounds of design with that. At first I used some dry mounted Earl Norm posters that I had duplicates of. They were the perfect width for the Detolf, and I love him to death. It immediately looked too cluttered, and all the time I spent setting it up was exhausting. I decided to try and save the spacing and suction mounting I so elaborately hid back there, and cracked open photoshop and made landscape motifs with the faction logos on them, still inspired (coped, cloned, and duplicated, aka stolen) from Earl's work. The meteor poster with He-Man and Skeletor was perfect for just a space environment btw, if you feel like do some edits yourself. Anyways, that was cluttered looking too. Didn't like it one bit. I like the white. I like how you can see the figure on white. I like the glass shelves. I love that it lets more light in and you can see down through to the lower levels when standing close.
    While I think a background helps set the scene, there is something very important you touch on. A background may look cool before you put the figures in front of it, but if it's too dark or blends with the figures, it can actually obscure then. The same goes for whatever color they are standing on. Really bright figures can look good in front of a darker backdrop, but brighter is usually better. I used to have brown at the bottom of my big MOTU display, but changed it to red when I saw how much a lot of the feet just kind of melded with it. The Grayskull pattern from the packaging of MOTUC makes a great "floor" for the figures, appropriate and cool, but still bright enough not to interfere with the figures.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

master of hiphop
    Quote Originally Posted by GFunny View Post
    That might be one of the best collections I've ever seen on display. Kudos to you my man for a job very well done. A beautiful collection displayed beautifully. But where are all your classics figures? I saw some in there but it looked like it was mostly a vintage display with a splash of everything nice.

Thanks brother!!! well these pics are from last year.. i've changed it up since then so i need to post new pics.. but i love the classics but LOVE LOVE LOVE the Vintage!!!!!
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html