Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Take part in three more official Mattel polls! Characters in MOTUC, j-hooks and more.

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    It was confusing to a lot of fans, specifically POP fans. If I was the only one confused I would have kept my mouth shut. Not every fan knows where every character fits into these slots as evidenced by this thread, and not every fan eats, breaths, and sleeps MOTU enough to figure out where Illumina fits, or where Filmation Castaspella fits or what the difference is. There are too many fans that assume She-Ra Filmation means the Filmation look for POP figures, not knowing that they exclusively fall under the POP category.
    IMO, one of the flaws with this poll is including all these extraneous options that are not even supposed to be available. For many of us, I suspect this automatically put us in the mindset that something like She-Ra & Catra toy designs could possibly fit in somewhere, due to He-Man & Skeletor variants being listed. Also, there has been much back and forth with Mattel in the past regarding Great Rebellion characters vs Horde characters, so one of my immediate thoughts was: "How are THEY categorizing in this similar scenario."

I wish Scott would step in to explain why they want to know this stuff in the first place.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I dunno, folks. I think some of you are over-thinking this. It's clear they want to know where general interest is with fans or they wouldn't ask. I'm pretty sure from that they can piece together what fans are interested in thereafter. Plus, who knows, maybe they'll do more specific polls here, Matty or elsewhere after this one to narrow down the characters. *shrugs*

For something like the He-Man and Skeletor variants, I think it's pretty clear why that was added when you consider all the 200x variants that exist, the two remaining variant sets from vintage MOTU, as well as the unreleased NA variants. That's a lot of He-Man and Skeletor variants.

I also don't think hardcore POP fans should fret much. As long as one or both of the POP options ranks high, they know the interest is there, especially if Filmation POP ranks high since it covers almost all the characters. My personal belief is if POP Filmation comes in high and the POP toys do not, I don't think anyone at Mattel is going to give fans characters like General Sunder or King Micah before they do the major players.

That being said... if you want Double Trouble, Starburst She-Ra, Scratchin' Sound Catra and Shower Power Catra, then I think you better vote for the POP toys!

Vintage MOTU toys
    He-Man and Skeletor variants
    Filmation MOTU characters
    Vintage POP toys
    Filmation POP characters
    Vintage NA toys
    2002 MYP characters
    Comics and Mini Comics
    Concept chracaters
    NA cartoon characters
    New characters

Quote Originally Posted by classic View Post
    i voted as follows

vintage heman
    heman skeletor variants
    vintage she-ra
    Filmation heman
    Filmation she-ra
    vintage NA
    200x
    Mini-Comics
    Cartoon NA
    concept
    New
    I wasn’t expecting to see anyone rank He-Man and Skeletor variants as high as me.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I dunno, folks. I think some of you are over-thinking this. It's clear they want to know where general interest is with fans or they wouldn't ask. I'm pretty sure from that they can piece together what fans are interested in thereafter. Plus, who knows, maybe they'll do more specific polls here, Matty or elsewhere after this one to narrow down the characters. *shrugs*

For something like the He-Man and Skeletor variants, I think it's pretty clear why that was added when you consider all the 200x variants that exist, the two remaining variant sets from vintage MOTU, as well as the unreleased NA variants. That's a lot of He-Man and Skeletor variants.
    Well, see, that's almost part of the problem there, using this variants example. From what I can tell for the most part, the most highly demanded variants of He-Man and Skeletor seem to be the vintage variants, NA versions, with most of the 200X variants being rather hated (this was even discussed on a recent RGD episode). Ice Armor He-Man and Snake Armor He-Man seem to be the two versions that most people are interested in. And maybe fire armor Skeletor or the armor from the Battle Sound version which also appeared in the 200X cartoon when he ate the ambrosia (though I personally didn't care for pretty much any of the Skeletor variants, unless you count Keldor).

Granted, hopefully they've picked up on this and know what the fans want in this regard and won't make things like Martial Arts or Jungle Attack He-Man, but given that the line is basically on 'life support', now is not the time to assume that they aren't misreading these things.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Yeah, good points. I see where you're coming from. Technically she could fall under both, but I guess it comes down to what Mattel's current mindset is on these categories. It's kind of annoying, because sometimes they flip-flop, use certain descriptions interchangeably and/or are vague on what their current stance is on certain characters. That's why I don't really like this particular poll. Upon initial view of the choices, I was sitting there having to replay past discussions in my mind, especially regarding POP, and then wondering if they were applying similar past logic to these options or if they changed their stance on certain things without telling us/being clear about it to us.
    I agree this poll is totally confusing, especially as far as She-Ra/POP is concerned. After reading this thread I totally re-arranged my votes because I understood it differently when I voted originally. I hope I now got it right and actually voted what I want to have.
    The wording and the options given are truly misleading, confusing and not helpful.
    The whole point of this poll is questionable. there are enough "most wanted figure" threads and by now it should be clear to everyone that fans prefer Glimmer over Hook'Em Flogg...
    Awesome sticker included!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I dunno, folks. I think some of you are over-thinking this.
    On He-Man.org? Never!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    So what you're really saying is that because someone doesn't know how to correctly articulate and put together a poll, a highly demanded faction could go completely ignored. Why not put clarification in the explanation of the poll?
    Also, at this point, we've done polls to death. Are you saying that all of the polls we've done previously are now vapor and this is the sole poll to which Mattel will base the future of MOTUC?
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Fair points.
    I agree. All fair points.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    Illumina isn't a concept character. She first appeared in a comic. So she would be under "Comic and Mini-Comic characters" along with Lodar, Slave Girl, Prince Dakon, MoP Demons, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    @ Darkspecter: I think King Tamusk is probably right about Illumina, so you may want to consider re-submitting your vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    I disagree. The way Mattel talked about her in the past, more or less downgrading her to a fan-fic character, and the fact that she never actually appeared in a comic but only in an add for a comic that was never released makes me think she is considered a concept character.

Look at Darius from NA for comparison. He actually appeared in some German Comics if I remember correctly but is still considered a concept/prototype character. Illumina never appeared anywhere except for that one add.
    I agree with Grayskull's Heir. Illumina was talked about as "fan fiction" and I'm pretty sure she has been specifically called a "concept character" before by Mattel. I really think that's the category she would be included in. PLUS, if there is ever a way for Mattel to make these guys, I really want some other concept characters like Horde Mummy, the weird creature with the removable helmet (brain is shown underneath), the witch with the techno broom and Might-Bite (Horde shark). I love those characters! She-Zar, who only appeared in the one Brazilian MOTU comic might fit under the concept banner too (since she never made it to English speaking countries). I really like her. She looks awesome, can turn into a fish and would be a great love interest for Mer-Man and foe for Mermista. Everybody wins!

I also don't think hardcore POP fans should fret much. As long as one or both of the POP options ranks high, they know the interest is there, especially if Filmation POP ranks high since it covers almost all the characters. My personal belief is if POP Filmation comes in high and the POP toys do not, I don't think anyone at Mattel is going to give fans characters like General Sunder or King Micah before they do the major players.

That being said... if you want Double Trouble, Starburst She-Ra, Scratchin' Sound Catra and Shower Power Catra, then I think you better vote for the POP toys!
    It's hard to say. If the Filmation She-Ra is near the top, but toy characters are at the bottom of the results...Mattel might point to this poll and say "fans have spoken and only want Horde characters" or something. I could see it happening.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; February 7, 2013 at 12:16pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I think I voted this way:

more vintage Masters of the Universe toy characters (D'uh)
    more characters from comics and mini-comics (I didn't have the Filmation 'toon available in my area until I was pretty much done so the mini-comics were a bigger part of the mythos for me)
    more concept characters (I really dig some of those unmade figures and I LOVE the FFM!) (Greyskull Robot FTW!)
    more Filmation She-Ra cartoon characters (Since I didn't collect the toys the She-Ra cartoon pretty much defined her and her companions for me) (Scorpia! Dylamug! Madame Razz!)
    more vintage New Adventures toy characters (I had no interest in NA but the Horsemen have made every NA figure really cool. Plus I'm down with if it had a figure it should have a figure)
    more vintage Princess of Power toy characters (I never collected these, but if it had a figure it should have a figure)
    more Filmation He-Man cartoon characters (Came along too late and it's canon was different than the mini-comics and what I had made up so much less interest)
    more 2002 Mike Young Productions He-Man cartoon characters (Liked this cartoon but I'd rather they use this as influence on existing characters)
    more New Adventures cartoon characters (Never seen it)
    more new original characters (Too many never mades, never hads, etc to worry about totally new characters right now)
    more variants of He-Man and Skeletor (Everyone remember how well that worked out for the 200x line?)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    If the Filmation She-Ra is near the top, but toy characters are at the bottom of the results...Mattel might point to this poll and say "fans have spoken and only want Horde characters" or something. I could see it happening.
    Anything is always possible, but I'd prefer not to put the cart before the horse on this. We don't know how or even if this data will be used. So, I don't think there's any benefit from anyone getting worried over "what if"s.

I want Vintage MOTU figures, then Filmation & Vintage POP characters, then Filmation MOTU....I personally don't care to see anymore NA, 200Xm concepts or brand new characters. Vintage comics would be fine, but not much else.

And It's kind of a vague subject on the variants, I want TC Skeletor & FF He-Man, not the million 200X variants.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    but given that the line is basically on 'life support', now is not the time to assume that they aren't misreading these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    It's hard to say. If the Filmation She-Ra is near the top, but toy characters are at the bottom of the results...Mattel might point to this poll and say "fans have spoken and only want Horde characters" or something. I could see it happening.

According to this answer on Mattycollector we have nothing to worry about, although I still wonder what would happen if oh, say, He-Man & Skeletor variants topped the list. Would they add a crapload of those to 2014?

There's a new official Mattel poll on He-man.org where you rearrange factions based on want. There is a good deal of confusion about the She-Ra filmation slot and the POP vintage toy slot. There are a lot of fans voting for She-Ra Filmation thinking that they are voting for Filmation versions of Glimmer, Angella, etc. Many of these POP gals have voted in the top 10 fan requests in multiple polls on the org and other sites. My question is, how 'official' is this poll and how much is riding on it? I don't want a faction that is well deserving to be ignored because of poor delivery.

Not to worry. Polls and posts are a way to understand trends, not exact choices. The data is always important and we do appreciate everything fans /customers can share!
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post

I wasn’t expecting to see anyone rank He-Man and Skeletor variants as high as me.

my reasoning was that figures like dragon blast skeletor ended up being one of my favorite figures of the year. certainly better than someone like dekker in my mind. so while id rather have extendar or dragstor than another heman, ill certainly take a heman over so background character who appeared in one episode.

This was hard for me because I'm such a big Horde fan. I want as many Horde characters as possible, but they straddle two different groups: vintage He-Man figures and Filmation She-Ra figures. Filmation won out - c'mon Scorpia, Dylamug, Admiral Scurvey - so I listed the She-Ra option first.

Heroic Warrior
    1. Filmation She-ra cartoon characters (Huntara, Scorpia, Twiggets, etc.)
    2. Filmation He-Man cartoon (Cambro, Garn, Phillip, Widgets, etc.)
    3. comics and mini-comics
    4. 200X MYP
    5. New Adventures toy
    6. vintage POP
    7. New Adventures cartoon
    8. Vintage MOTU
    9. concepts
    10. new
    11. HM/Skel variants

-Open to display loose and keep in package.

-Absolutely no use for that J-hook.

voted. gotta say since we have so many vintage though i of course want them all i am really most excited to see more of concept and other media. still voted pop most desired cause so much to do there.

but give me hoarder. actually give me songster. im serious. maybe that clear glitter mask though not part of his costume is for him? that be a supprise

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    When I click to vote, it is saying that the poll has ended. I thought this was going until the 16th...
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?