Thread: CapoToy's Street Fighter Toyline

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

CapoToy's Street Fighter Toyline

http://www.figures.com/forums/news/4...t-fighter.html

Figures.com has an interview with master sculptor Rocco Tartamella. Rocco had partnered with his old friend Joe Veteri to form Capo Collectibles, now known simply as CapoToys (CapoToys.com). While still unknown to many toy collectors, CapoToys plans to change all that with their recent licensing announcement: Capcom's Street Fighter. The timeless fighting game will receive a new 7 inch scale action figure series, the first prototypes to debut at this year's International Toy Fair in New York (Booth #5042). Almost entirely ball jointed (19 plus points of articulation), the line will standout with detailed sculpts and the unique addition of microfiber cloth components on select figures.
    • CapoToys, Street Fighter Series’ first wave will include some real fan favorites. For the first year we will be releasing 5 figures, Ryu, Sagat, Guile, Chun-Li and Blanka, with plans to release another 5 to 10 figures for the following year. We currently have 4 to 5 rounds planned in accordance with our license. In addition, exclusives are being prepared for big ComicCons, Street Fighter Tournaments and Evo. So keep an eye out!

•Capcom provided Capo with a size chart. The figures are 7" scale. Out of the figures planned, Sakura will be the smallest at 6 inches, and the largest figure, Sagat, stands at a massive 9 inches tall.

• When at the early stages of planning these figures, Rocco really wanted them to have as much mobility as possible without taking anything away from the aesthetics of each fighter. In many cases the rubberized clothing can dramatically limit mobility sometimes hindering the number of poses an action figure can get into, as well as altering the overall design and look of certain figures. Not all of the characters in the line will have cloth elements, however, only certain fighters where it is appropriate. In the first round, 2 characters will have cloth components, Ryu’s Gi and headband and Sagat’s “Tiger” Kick Boxing Trunks. It didn’t make sense for us to use cloth with Guile, Chun-Li or Blanka. You’ll need to stay tuned for all of Round 2, but I can say that Ken will also have a cloth Gi.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

I'm a huge Street Fighter canon fan, so I'm very interested in this news. But I'm a little concerned. Street Fighter is one of those lines similar to MOTU, where you have about 70-some characters. I'm sure we'll see all of the popular characters, but then the line starts to fizzle once we get past all of the SF2 characters and some popular Alpha and SF4 characters.

Aside from the length of the line, I'm worried about the soft goods parts like Ryu's headband and Gi and Sagat's trunks. I'm not too much of a fan of cloth on figures nowadays. I hope Capo can prove me wrong.

A few companies tried SF lines before and died:

• Under Jerry Macaluso, SOTA was doing great with their 20+ characters, until it fell under new management. The new guys tried to revamp the line with slightly bigger and thicker figures of Ryu, Ken and Akuma and when that failed, they tried to "finish" the line with Zangief, E. Honda, Dhalsim and R. Mika (who was an attempt to keep Dee Jay to anchor a later wave). The wave too forever to come out and when it did, the articulation pegs were far too thin and fragile. Figures could break extremely easily.

• Then NECA got the SF4 license and crapped the bed with it by releasing two waves of three figures. Awesome figures, and I swear by that thunderthighs Chun Li, but I HATED that they only made six characters and stopped in typical NECA fashion.

Later Jazwares got their hands on the SF license. These piece of crap figures never made it past Wave 1. The $20 two packs of figures broke upon opening or swapping hands.

Practically every toy company has tried SF at one point--Hasbro, Toybiz, SOTA, NECA, Jazwares. I think only Mattel and Playmates are the biggest companies that never had the license.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Here we go again There's been how many lines in the last decade? And Japan's still doing the Kai Arts versions. Still, best of luck to them! And I guess I have one more version of my leggy goddess Chun Li to add to my list.

Heroic Warrior
    I am ambivalent. These are by far the best Street Fighter figures to date. And I love Street Fighter!

BIG CONS outweigh my purchase however:

1) Potential to only be its own scale. 7" toys? Ugh. Ryu needed to be the standard scale 6". They may be out of scale with other 6" figures I own.
    2) New stronger properties. New Super Mario Brothers S.H. Figuarts may take away my SF budget.
    3) A finite number of characters. As stated the stable is pretty big, and I need to know on some level there is a commitment to "finish" them in some capacity. I need to see a full SF2 cast, Alpha cast, or SFIV cast so at least if the line dies, I won't find a reason to sell them off.
    4) Waiting on Bandai. I want Street Fighter S.H. Figuarts in the worst way, and maybe the best chance to get definitive versions. Japanese toys are very display-oriented, while American toys have been way more durable. There may be room for both.

Right now, the sculpts are very strong. I may buy the first wave because the curiosity factor is so high. They are really taking a gamble but this is a company I have to keep an eye on. They certainly are taking the right attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    I am ambivalent. These are by far the best Street Fighter figures to date. And I love Street Fighter!

BIG CONS outweigh my purchase however:

1) Potential to only be its own scale. 7" toys? Ugh. Ryu needed to be the standard scale 6". They may be out of scale with other 6" figures I own.
    2) New stronger properties. New Super Mario Brothers S.H. Figuarts may take away my SF budget.
    3) A finite number of characters. As stated the stable is pretty big, and I need to know on some level there is a commitment to "finish" them in some capacity. I need to see a full SF2 cast, Alpha cast, or SFIV cast so at least if the line dies, I won't find a reason to sell them off.
    4) Waiting on Bandai. I want Street Fighter S.H. Figuarts in the worst way, and maybe the best chance to get definitive versions. Japanese toys are very display-oriented, while American toys have been way more durable. There may be room for both.

Right now, the sculpts are very strong. I may buy the first wave because the curiosity factor is so high. They are really taking a gamble but this is a company I have to keep an eye on. They certainly are taking the right attitude.
    I agree with all those. Do you know if Play Arts will continue their line? There's a few other characters I'd like to see from them.
    Anyway, for me, it will depend on price, availability, and future characters. Chun Li's at least a certainity for me. Hoping for Zangief, Poison, Hugo, and a R.Mika that doesn't look like she needs a sandwich (yes, I'm mainly a grappler player in SF) in this line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    Yeah, I really hate this possibility in ANY SF line. The huge cast works against SF. There have been so many companies who started a Street Fighter line only to end prematurely (ReSaurus, NECA, Jazwares) after Ryu, Ken, Chun Li and Guile come out. SOTA is the closest to making all the main characters, and even their great line is tarnished by the last four figures (big characters like Zangief, Dhalsim and E. Honda) breaking with weak pegs and not reaching Dee Jay, Guy or Rose.

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    The idea of adding cloth to these figures is a big turn off for me. And aside from having two separate SF figure lines in the past 10 years this line will have to prove something to collectors if it wants to be successful. Can they produce a large amount of figures that weren't created in the other lines? Can they offer something different that the other lines didn't produce (cloth, I guess)? Will they follow the same formula of character selections and leave collectors with a boring turnout of Ryu's, Chun-Li's, and Guile's to start with (apparently, yes they will).

Sota pretty much did a great job with their line, gave us a robust variation of characters and colors to choose from, and had pretty good sculpts. Their only problem, imo, is that the figures were really hard to find and would rise high in prices almost as soon as they would released on shelves. Capo is gonna need to figure out something clever if they want to make this line a success and distance themselves from Sota's (recent) releases.

Heroic Warrior
    I would like to see the following:

SF 2 cast first:
    8 originals
    4 Bosses
    4 Super SF2 characters + Akuma (this order)

Then you build:

SF 4:
    Wave 1: Sakura, Rose, Dan, Gen, Seth
    Wave 2: Abel, C Viper, El Fuerte, Rufus, Gouken

SSF4:
    wave 1: Adon, Cody, Guy, Juri
    wave 2: Hakan, Dudley, Makoto, Ibuki (variant "oiled"/glossy Hakan)

SSF4 Arcade Edition: Yun, Yang, Evil Ryu, Oni

Ultra SF4: Hugo, Poison, Rolento, Elena, *5th character*

Alpha is a double edged sword. I love Mika, Nash, and Karin, but then you get into Alpha custumes (not to mention DLC costumes). It's a slippery slope from there. SF3 may be easier...

SF3:
    Wave 1: Alex, Gill, Twelve, Q, Sean
    Wave 2: Necro, Oro, Remy, Urien

If there get through each iteration as I laid it down, I won't have to sell the line because it would feel "complete".

Oooh Lala! Another toyline to collect!