Thread: The Official 2013 - 2014 College Football Thread

Hybrid View

Master of New Adventures!

The Official 2013 - 2014 College Football Thread

Okay, so the Stupor Bowl is over and who won? The Peacocks? The Raccoons? The Hedgehogs?

Who cares? These guys couldn't even keep the lights on for the whole game!

So let's get back to what's really important -- college football! And what better time to have our annal kick off (get it?) than on National Signing Day?

For this Nebraska fan, only one guy matters: Johnny Stanton. To see the long version of why, check out this article. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...or-cornhuskers

The short story is we've only got one more year of Taylor Martinez and depening on one's point of view that's either a good thing or a badthing. One thing there's no argument about is that getting a 6'2", 225 lbs. quarterback with HS stats that'll wow just about anyone and who's ready to step into Martinez' shoes is a pretty good thing.

Another thing that's for sure is that this is going to be one heckuva interesting season. Can Notre Dame put together another seson like they had last year...especially when so many of their wins could have gone either way? Is Penn State going to fight their way back? And just who is this Urban Meyer guy and why am I supposed to be worried about him?

Seriously, I think it's going to be a great season, filled with drama, intrigue and hopefully no more players having texting hook-ups with girlfriends who turn out to be guy-fans : http://www.eurweb.com/2013/02/mantis...love-with-him/

Let the madness begin!!!

OSU is bringing in another elite class thanks to Urban Meyer and co. The future looks bright for the Buckeyes if most of these guys meet expectations on the field. I think they will dominate the Big Ten again just like when Tressel was here.

Obviously I was joking.

"Dominate the Big 10"? These guys are going to dominate all of college football! Imo, Urban Meyer is arguably -- and for my money we can lose the word "arguably" -- the greatest coach and recruiter (look what happened today) in the history of college football. That's coming, by the way, from a guy who thinks Tom Osborne walked on water.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 6, 2013 at 04:40pm.

Meyer still needs one more championship to catch up to Saban and Osborne and Saban probably isn't done yet. That being said, I'm glad there will be a 4 team playoff in the future because it makes it more likely that an OSU-Alabama matchup could happen in that format. It would be great to see.

Well now that you mentioned the 'P' word, I'll officially go on record with my opinion that while a four-team playoff is a start, it's a long way from the true playoff season that I believe college football fans want and deserve.

I know I've put forth this opinion before but I am still emphatically in favor of the winnning teams in each conference all gaining admittance to the playoff season and I think tha would be a big part of the excitement. Yes, I understand there are some conferences that are weak compared to others, but you can never tell what will happen during a playoff season. As I've said in the past, I'm not a big college basketball fan, but I enjoy March Madness for that same reason -- there's always a chance a Cinderella team can go all the way and shock the nation. And if a team's won their conference then why shouldn't they have that shot?

I also understand the resistance because of the current bowl structure. But honestly, wouldn't we prefer there to be a complete shake-up in which we could see undefeated or one-loss teams playing against each other rather than some lame 7 and 6 teams squaring off in the Famous Idaho Potato Ho-hum Bowl? The lead-up would be so exciting with survivors playing against each other in the top bowls. Better for the teams, better for the fans and, ultimately, better for the bowls themselves because even low level bowls would have distinguished winning teams playing each other. In the end, imo, we've have a true national championship game...and, of course, it wouldn't hurt to extend our pathetically short college football season by a month.

Really, why is it that very other sport -- hockey, baseball (pro and college), basketball -- all have an entire exciting playoff season and we've got nothing except pitiful match-ups in moronically named so-called bowls and a long wait until the final one-day event?

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Meyer still needs one more championship to catch up to Saban and Osborne and Saban probably isn't done yet. That being said, I'm glad there will be a 4 team playoff in the future because it makes it more likely that an OSU-Alabama matchup could happen in that format. It would be great to see.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 6, 2013 at 05:48pm.

Heroic Warrior Wundar_Grayskull's Avatar
    I really don't follow college football to much. I am more of a wreslting fan, so on that note, Steve Borden, Jr. The son of the wrestler Sting has signed on with the UK Wild Cats. All I got to say is "It's Show Time Folks!" Get ready for Sting Jr.