Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 86

Thread: The Official 2013 - 2014 College Football Thread

  1. #26
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,418
    Okay everyone, here it is -- the first pre-season poll that actually means anything, courtesy of USA Today.

    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf.../?sf15615474=1

    As expected, Alabama and Ohio State debut ranked one and two. I'm going to go waaaaaay out on a limb here and predict Ohio State will win it all. Well, we all know how 'accurate' my predictions have been in the past and I realize a lot of this is wishful thinking on my part, but I'm just really tired of the whole SEC-dominance deal, so I'm hoping for a huge upset.

    Pleased to see my Nebraska Huskers coming out in the top twenty at eight. Yeah, yeah. I know. Typical deal: they'll climb into the top ten with a handful of easy early wins, but then fall after getting clobbered a couple of times. We'll see. Fact is, with a few exceptions, they've got a pretty soft schedule this year and I'm gonna go waaaaay out on a limb again and predict them going wire-to-wire!!! And yes, again, we know just how inaccurate my predictions have been in the past. But again, we'll see.

    What really makes my day is that it's actually less than a month to kick-off!!!

    GO BIG RED!

  2. #27
    King Hiss vs Serpentor ksensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    1,531
    As for my outrageously early title predictions...

    I just can't make myself predict a team from the SEC, although clearly they're the conference most likely to produce a title team. So I'll put Oklahoma in the title game. They don't have a conference title game to worry about, and they only have 3 ranked opponents: at Notre Dame (over-rated), Texas (on a neutral field) and at OK State. Bob Stoops is about due for another title run any way.

    For the 2nd spot, I'll take Oregon or Stanford - whichever wins the Pac-12. I have no idea which team that will be, but that's who I'll take Oregon has to play Stanford on the road, but Stanford has to play 5 ranked teams (4 in 4 straight weeks, 2 on the road) while Oregon only has to play 3. So I'd lean toward Oregon, except that they have a brand new coach. So I don't know. But I'm picking the Pac-12 champ to play in the title game.

    And my prediction for the very final, last time ever controversy over the selection of the two teams playing for the national title is: should the undefeated Big-12 champ go to the national title game over a one-loss SEC champ, despite not playing in a conference title game. I'll also settle for 4 conference champs finishing with one loss. Anything to drive home how awful and ridiculous the BCS process has been over the years.
    Last edited by ksensor; August 22, 2013 at 04:11pm.

  3. #28
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Okay everyone, here it is -- the first pre-season poll that actually means anything, courtesy of USA Today.

    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf.../?sf15615474=1

    As expected, Alabama and Ohio State debut ranked one and two. I'm going to go waaaaaay out on a limb here and predict Ohio State will win it all. Well, we all know how 'accurate' my predictions have been in the past and I realize a lot of this is wishful thinking on my part, but I'm just really tired of the whole SEC-dominance deal, so I'm hoping for a huge upset.

    Pleased to see my Nebraska Huskers coming out in the top twenty at eighteen. Yeah, yeah. I know. Typical deal: they'll climb into the top ten with a handful of easy early wins, but then fall after getting clobbered a couple of times. We'll see. Fact is, with a few exceptions, they've got a pretty soft schedule this year and I'm gonna go waaaaay out on a limb again and predict them going wire-to-wire!!! And yes, again, we know just how inaccurate my predictions have been in the past. But again, we'll see.

    What really makes my day is that it's actually less than a month to kick-off!!!

    GO BIG RED!
    EDIT: Not sure if it was a typo or wishful thinking, but Nebraska came out at eighteen; not eight. I've corrected it.

  4. #29
    King Hiss vs Serpentor ksensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    1,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    EDIT: Not sure if it was a typo or wishful thinking, but Nebraska came out at eighteen; not eight. I've corrected it.
    Sometimes the mind sees what it would like to

  5. #30
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,418
    Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    Sometimes the mind sees what it would like to
    If that was the case for me, then Alabama would have to be ranked #2.

  6. #31
    Vintage Vintage Vintage Vlcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Tornado Alley
    Posts
    2,349
    30min until game time. Gooooo Biiiiiig Reeeeeeed! GO BIG RED!!! I'm a little worried about the WY QB. He has no int's in his last ~174 attempts. WY is 2-0 on the road being under dogs of 21.5 pts or more.
    But I'm expecting lots of points put up by our offense with Martinez,Abdullah & Bell. GBR!!

  7. #32
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    8,042
    Nebraska looked ok. The defense is still struggling, although they got two pics. The offense looked pretty good until Martinez threw that pic late in the game that let Wyoming back into it. At least, they won. Iowa and Iowa State went down.

  8. #33
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,418
    I thought I was going to have to be med-evac airlifted out of Buffalo Wild Wings last night! I can't take another season of this fourth quarter insanity. SOMEONE STOP THE MADNESS!!!

    Well it ends up in the 'W' column, so I guess that's good. Three touchdowns by Martinez and, despite the pic, his arm looks good. But the D really needs to put it together.

    We'll see. Stay tuned.

    Of course the game of the night was Clemson. Great game with two great programs and fabulous fans. Imo, college football at its best.

    On another note, poo Boisenbery. So sad. I guess no one's going to be touting them to the high heavens this [/I]year[I]. Bye-bye-o!

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Nebraska looked ok. The defense is still struggling, although they got two pics. The offense looked pretty good until Martinez threw that pic late in the game that let Wyoming back into it. At least, they won. Iowa and Iowa State went down.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 1, 2013 at 12:18pm.

  9. #34
    Vintage Vintage Vintage Vlcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Tornado Alley
    Posts
    2,349
    The Nebraska D was awful. When a pocket passer has 80+ yards on the ground against you. And he can basically tear up our secondary at will we are in loads of trouble. Granted this was the first game for my Huskers. Our offense looked good especially the running game. Lots of options to choose and we can always have fresh legs back there & not rely on T Magic to bail us out with his legs. But the D has work to do and we need to be physical. Too soft last night. Anyway as a home grown corn eater in the heart of Lincoln. GO BIG RED!!!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Nebraska looked ok. The defense is still struggling, although they got two pics. The offense looked pretty good until Martinez threw that pic late in the game that let Wyoming back into it. At least, they won. Iowa and Iowa State went down.
    I watched the Iowa game on the Big 10 network and they threw that game away....literally.

  10. #35
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,418
    I couldn't agree with you more, Vican. Ya just can't let an unranked team score 34 points against you. I remember in the glory days of the 90s when Kim and I would go to games in Lincoln that by halftime it was Huskers 30 or 40 and the opposing team zip. Those days are long gone. But you can bet Bo will do a war dance on the Blackshirts this week. We'll see. It's early in the season.

    On the positive side, Martinez looked good, although my heart stopped when he took a hit in the third quarter and grabbed his stomach. Also positive is the fact that it seems like Michigan State will move into the top 25 on Monday, so that gives us another ranked team to play.

    Again, I'm calling OSU wall-to-wall and winning the national championship. Yeah, I know it's wishful thinking. Also pulling BIG TIME for Mark's ISU because they're a Heartland team and he puts up with my incessant yammering about the Huskers. Behind Nebraska, they're the team I pull for most. Well, since Kim's cousin is Notre Dame Heisman Award-winner Johnny Lujack, I guess I have to be a bit of a Domer.

    Gawd, I'm just SOOOOOOOO happy college football season is here again!!!

    Go big Red!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Vlcan View Post
    The Nebraska D was awful. When a pocket passer has 80+ yards on the ground against you. And he can basically tear up our secondary at will we are in loads of trouble. Granted this was the first game for my Huskers. Our offense looked good especially the running game. Lots of options to choose and we can always have fresh legs back there & not rely on T Magic to bail us out with his legs. But the D has work to do and we need to be physical. Too soft last night. Anyway as a home grown corn eater in the heart of Lincoln. GO BIG RED!!!

    - - - Updated - - -



    I watched the Iowa game on the Big 10 network and they threw that game away....literally.

  11. #36
    Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
    Posts
    8,563
    Heisman Hopeful, Teddy Bridgewater (QB for my local Louisville Cards) is a beast!! He played only 2 1/2 quarters and ended up with 355 passing yards and 5 touchdowns.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

    WE can do this together because.....

    EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

  12. #37
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    8,042
    I think Nebraska will get 8 to 9 wins, but they need to play better than Saturday to get there. I think the defense will have struggles throughout the season. It will be up to the offense to dominate and not turn the ball over. I'll probably be going to a game this season.

  13. #38
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Also pulling BIG TIME for Mark's ISU because they're a Heartland team and he puts up with my incessant yammering about the Huskers. Behind Nebraska, they're the team I pull for most.
    Its going to be a LONG year for us, we lost a lot of our defense and it showed against Northern Iowa. 6-6 would be an achievement but what can you do.

    At least we are not the Iowa Hawkeyes, who have no excuse for why they continue to throw games away and stink

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vlcan View Post
    I watched the Iowa game on the Big 10 network and they threw that game away....literally.
    If you watched them last year its not surprising, its just more of the same imho
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  14. #39
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I think Nebraska will get 8 to 9 wins, but they need to play better than Saturday to get there. I think the defense will have struggles throughout the season. It will be up to the offense to dominate and not turn the ball over. I'll probably be going to a game this season.

    I'll respectfully suggest not to judge the entire season by the first game. It was good to get shaken up early, yet still eke out a win. Nebraska will improve as time goes on. Bo simply will not tolerate the D that showed up -- or failed to show up -- on Saturday. I think we'll see major improves in the next two games. You look at that defensive line compared to four or five years ago when they looked like high school players, and you realize these are some big boys. With the right improvements they can start wearing down their opponents' offensive lines like they did in years gone by. I believe the potential is there.

    Maybe I'm delusional, but with an offense that can put big points up on the board and a hopefully improving D, I'm looking for a ten win season -- maybe eleven.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 2, 2013 at 10:46am.

  15. #40
    Widget funksk8er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    28
    Rough start last week, but a win is a win. I hope it wakes up our young defense that you have to play 4 quarters to win in this league. Our D line looked rough. I just want to come out of the gate tomorrow and make a statement. GBR!

  16. #41
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,418
    Sounds like you're talking about Nebraska.

    We've got a pathetic game this weekend, but the Saturday after against ranked UCLA is our first real test.

    Quote Originally Posted by funksk8er View Post
    Rough start last week, but a win is a win. I hope it wakes up our young defense that you have to play 4 quarters to win in this league. Our D line looked rough. I just want to come out of the gate tomorrow and make a statement. GBR!

  17. #42
    Widget funksk8er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    28
    Haha. Yes I am talking about Nebraska. I'm with you. I can't judge our D until I see how they fair against UCLA.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Sounds like you're talking about Nebraska.

    We've got a pathetic game this weekend, but the Saturday after against ranked UCLA is our first real test.

  18. #43
    Vintage Vintage Vintage Vlcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Tornado Alley
    Posts
    2,349
    It needs to be a cake walk. Our offense needs to score easily 45 points against S. Miss. And yes our D needs to play much better....a shutout would be nice. And I would like to see a little more passion on D. I don't want to see hands on the hips and for Pete sake it would be nice if some of our D players were in position. I'm looking at you Santos. When Monday rolls around I want the talk around here in Lincoln to be about how much better we looked in all aspects of the game. If S. Less tunovers & penalties. If S. Miss puts up points it will be another week about how bad our D is and how Bo continues to say it'll be handled. Let's get it done. GBR!!!

  19. #44
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,418
    Amen, brother! And then on to UCLA and climbing up the rankings.

    As for tonight, Kim and I are off to Buffalo Wild Wings in an hour. Let the Guinness flow. Fear the corn! GO BIG RED!!!


    Oh and funksk8er, I saw your location is Kansas, so I thought you might be a Wildcat.


    Quote Originally Posted by Vlcan View Post
    It needs to be a cake walk. Our offense needs to score easily 45 points against S. Miss. And yes our D needs to play much better....a shutout would be nice. And I would like to see a little more passion on D. I don't want to see hands on the hips and for Pete sake it would be nice if some of our D players were in position. I'm looking at you Santos. When Monday rolls around I want the talk around here in Lincoln to be about how much better we looked in all aspects of the game. If S. Less tunovers & penalties. If S. Miss puts up points it will be another week about how bad our D is and how Bo continues to say it'll be handled. Let's get it done. GBR!!!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 7, 2013 at 04:41pm.

  20. #45
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    8,042
    The Huskers are looking much better (so far), halftime 35-6.

  21. #46
    Always Hungry.... Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Snake Mountain
    Posts
    3,467
    Braxton Miller got hurt hope it's not serious....

  22. #47
    Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
    Posts
    8,563
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Heisman Hopeful, Teddy Bridgewater (QB for my local Louisville Cards) is a beast!! He played only 2 1/2 quarters and ended up with 355 passing yards and 5 touchdowns.
    Teddy had 397 yards and 4 touchdowns today. Looking great so far.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

    WE can do this together because.....

    EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

  23. #48
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,418
    Well, you got almost everything you wanted. I was happy to see it, but of course it was against an awfully weak team. Next week -- UCLA -- is the true first test. Holding my breath.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vlcan View Post
    It needs to be a cake walk. Our offense needs to score easily 45 points against S. Miss. And yes our D needs to play much better....a shutout would be nice. And I would like to see a little more passion on D. I don't want to see hands on the hips and for Pete sake it would be nice if some of our D players were in position. I'm looking at you Santos. When Monday rolls around I want the talk around here in Lincoln to be about how much better we looked in all aspects of the game. If S. Less tunovers & penalties. If S. Miss puts up points it will be another week about how bad our D is and how Bo continues to say it'll be handled. Let's get it done. GBR!!!
    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Well, you got almost everything you wanted. I was happy to see it, but of course it was against an awfully weak team. Next week -- UCLA -- is the true first test. Holding my breath.
    EDIT: Of course the incredibly anti-Nebraska biased AP Poll -- written by sports writers that have never taken a snap in their lives, gut like film critics that are wanna-be directors, like to pathetically beat their chests -- have dropped Nebraska one place in the rankings after their win. The Coaches' Poll, comprised of people actually in the trenches of college football, appropriately have Nebraska rising to #15. We'll see what the sad slugs at AP are forced to say after the Cornhuskers open a can of you-know-what on UCLA in California next week.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Well, you got almost everything you wanted. I was happy to see it, but of course it was against an awfully weak team. Next week -- UCLA -- is the true first test. Holding my breath.
    EDIT: Of course the incredibly anti-Nebraska, shamefully biased AP Poll -- written by so-called sports writers that have never taken a snap in their lives, but like film critics that are wanna-be directors and like to pathetically beat their chests -- have dropped Nebraska one place in the rankings after their win. I don't even get angry anymore. Instead I laugh at the likes of these know-nothings that think they know something. They ought to make Lee Corso their president. Better, they ought to take a snap lining up against our corn-fed, beef-eatin' defensive line.

    Naturally, the Coaches' Poll, comprised of people actually in the trenches of college football, appropriately have Nebraska rising to #15. We'll see what the sad slugs at AP have to say after the Cornhuskers open a can of you-know-what on UCLA in California next week.

  24. #49
    King Hiss vs Serpentor ksensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    1,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    If that was the case for me, then Alabama would have to be ranked #2.
    Hahahahaha

  25. #50
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,418
    Nebraska plays at 11 A.M. on Saturday, which really ticks me off. If it was up to me I'd have all college football games played on Saturday nights so we can watch them in sports bars whilst scarfing wings and quaffing Guinness to wash 'em down.

    Does anyone else find daytime college football infinitely less satisfying than the night time version, or am I alone in this?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •