Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Official 2013 - 2014 College Football Thread

I like night games, because I usually have stuff I need to get done during the day.

Master of New Adventures!
    Incredibly, the Huskers are favored by four over UCLA. That scares me.

That said, Alabama vs. Texas A&M. Wow, what a game THAT'S gonna be!

EDIT: My error in saying Alabama vs. "Texas". Should have been vs. "Texas A&M". I made the correction, and thanks for the gentle and subtle heads-up, MOTU Maniac.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 12, 2013 at 12:29pm.

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Incredibly, the Huskers are favored by four over UCLA. That scares me.

That said, Alabama vs. Texas. Wow, what a game THAT'S gonna be!
    Yeah, I am looking forward to the Alabama vs Texas A&M game. Can't decide on a winner as it seems to be a toss-up, but should be fun to watch.
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; September 12, 2013 at 10:45am.
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

Incredible ticket prices for the Alabama/A&M game. STOP THE MADNESS!!!

http://college-football.si.com/2013/...?sct=cf_t2_a13

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Nebraska plays at 11 A.M. on Saturday, which really ticks me off. If it was up to me I'd have all college football games played on Saturday nights so we can watch them in sports bars whilst scarfing wings and quaffing Guinness to wash 'em down.

Does anyone else find daytime college football infinitely less satisfying than the night time version, or am I alone in this?

Makes no difference to me, as long as I can watch the game I want to watch. I can scarf wings and chug Octoberfest anytime, be it 11am or 11pm

Go Gamecocks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Yeah, I am looking forward to the Alabama vs Texas A&M game. Can't decide on a winner as it seems to be a toss-up, but should be fun to watch.

I would love to see A & M beat bama again. They beat bama in their own house last year, so home field advantage will help this time too.
    But the tide is going to be fired up and looking for revenge!

Well I should be happy going into halftime with a 21/10 lead, but that last UCLA touchdown was a total gift from Nebraska. How you play a zone defense to give then fifteen and twenty yard plays is beyond my understanding. You KNOW they have a strong offense and they're going to take advantage of a zone defense. And they did. Boneheaded, imo.

EDIT: In a word, pathetic. I had a feeling it was a huge momentum shift the moment they changed to a zone defense near the end of the first half and gave up that touchdown. I've rarely seen a meltdown equal to Nebraska's sad performance today. Gotta give UCLA credit. They're a great program.

Oh well, my season's over.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 14, 2013 at 03:19pm.

Heroic Warrior

2013 East/West Game

Meet the players for the 2013 East/West Game. Apparently seniors only.

While we wait for Arizona State's defense to get up off the football and let Wisconsin run their final play, here's the season's first...

List of Remaining Undefeated Teams

AAC

Houston
    Louisville
    UCF

ACC
    Florida State
    Maryland
    Clemson
    North Carolina State
    Georgia Tech
    Miami (FL)

Big 12
    Oklahoma
    Texas Tech
    Oklahoma State
    Baylor

Big Ten
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Minnesota
    Northwestern
    Ohio State

Independent
    Navy

MAC
    Northern Illinois

MWC
    Fresno State

PAC-12
    Oregon
    Stanford
    Washington
    Arizona
    Arizona State
    Colorado
    UCLA

SEC
    Missouri
    Auburn
    Ole Miss
    Alabama
    Arkansas
    LSU

Sun Belt
    Texas State

35 teams total:
    AAC - 3
    ACC - 6
    Big 12 - 4
    Big Ten - 5
    Independent - 1
    MAC - 1
    MWC - 1
    PAC-12 - 7
    SEC - 6
    Sun Belt - 1

--Update 9/30/13--
    We went from 35 to 20 undefeated teams in two weeks, but most conferences have at least one team that looks like a contender to go undefeated...

List of Remaining Undefeated Teams - Sept. 30th

AAC

Houston
    Louisville

ACC
    Florida State
    Maryland
    Clemson
    Miami (FL)

Big 12
    Oklahoma
    Texas Tech
    Baylor

Big Ten
    Michigan
    Northwestern
    Ohio State

MAC
    Northern Illinois

MWC
    Fresno State

PAC-12
    Oregon
    Stanford
    Washington
    UCLA

SEC
    Missouri
    Alabama

20 teams total:
    AAC - 2
    ACC - 4
    Big 12 - 3
    Big Ten - 3
    MAC - 1
    MWC - 1
    PAC-12 - 4
    SEC - 2

The Iowa Hawkeyes have looked a lot better lately.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    They're jelling and gaining confidence.

No huddle is helping. Increased number of plays by 20 a game has helped.

are they ready for the better teams in the B1G? That is the million dollar question. Before I would have said aaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww heck no. now I say well it won't be THAT bad.

Minnesota is coming off of an easy schedule. They played to conservative.

We have Floyd that's the important part.

So did Nebraska on Saturday. They had a Bye week!

I went to the Iowa State vs. Texas game last night. It was some of the worst officiating I've seen in a game. ISU shouldn't have let Texas score with a hail mary before the half and should have been able to convert a third down late in the game to ice Texas with a TD instead of a FG, but they still would have won the game with better refereeing. It is games like that which make me glad that Nebraska got out of the conference.

They're ba-aaaaaaaaaaack...

Heroic Warrior
    If I recall right in last season's thread Mr. Olesker posted a video about a young boy with cancer running a play during practice.

Yesterday I caught that he's in remission and was the marshall of parade. A homecoming parade?

You're correct. He was the marshal of the homecoming game yesterday and what a joy that he is in remission.

Young Jack Hoffman was befriended by Nebraska football great Rex Burkhead and brought on to the field earlier this year to run a touchdown. Over the years the Cornhuskers have run a lot of great plays, but in my book this was surely their finest one.

Again, for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...AC974E3E2B5081

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    If I recall right in last season's thread Mr. Olesker posted a video about a young boy with cancer running a play during practice.

Yesterday I caught that he's in remission and was the marshall of parade. A homecoming parade?

In response to their teams being shut out of lucrative bowl game opportunities, the 5 "lesser" FBS conferences (AAC, C-USA, MAC, Mountain West and Sun Belt) have teamed up to launch 4 new bowl games. The selection process for the bowls will be unique in that the 5 conferences will work together with the hosts to determine which teams will play in the games, rather than the standard "4th place team from conference X vs 3rd place team from conference Y".

The Miami Bowl will be anchored by an AAC team, with an opponent coming from one of the other 4 conferences. The game will be played in the Miami Marlins' stadium.
    The Boca Raton Bowl will have teams from C-USA, MAC and AAC. The game will be held at Florida Atlantic football stadium.
    The Bahamas Bowl will rotate teams from all 5 conferences.
    In addition, teams from the MAC and Sun Belt will face off in the Camellia Bowl in Montgomery, Alabama starting in 2014.

- - - Updated 10/07 - - -

[B]
    Only 17 teams remain!This week we dropped from 17 to 14 undefeated teams. Here's the list, plus the remaining undefeated vs undefeated match-ups.

Remaining Undefeated Teams & Their Remaining Undefeated Opponents

AAC - Louisville hosts Houston on Nov 16
    Houston
    Louisville

ACC - Clemson hosts Florida State on Oct. 19, Florida State hosts Miami on Nov. 2
    Florida State
    Clemson
    Miami (FL)

Big 12 - Texas Tech hosts Baylor on Nov 16
    Texas Tech
    Baylor

Big Ten
    Ohio State

MAC
    Northern Illinois

MWC
    Fresno State

PAC-12 - Oregon hosts UCLA on Oct 26
    Oregon
    UCLA

SEC
    Missouri
    Alabama

The most undefeated teams we could finish the regular season with is 10.
    At the end of the conference title games, the most undefeated teams we could have is 8.

If I had to pick, I would say Northern Illinois and Fresno State are far and away the most likely to go undefeated, just based on the quality of their remaining opponents.

- - - Updated 10/21 - - -

Hey, remember when Missouri was going to regret joining the SEC, because they were never going to win against that level of competition? Good times, good times.

Hey, remember when Miami joined the ACC in 2004, and fans were drooling over the possibility of arch-rivals Miami and Florida State squaring off in the ACC title game? And remember how that never actually ended up happening, not even once? Well, it might for the first time this season, if the standings co-operate after one of them takes a loss on Nov 2nd.

12 Remaining Undefeated Teams & Their Remaining Undefeated Opponents

AAC - Louisville hosts Houston on Nov 16
    Houston
    Louisville

ACC - Florida State hosts Miami on Nov. 2
    Florida State
    Miami (FL)

Big 12 - Texas Tech hosts Baylor on Nov 16
    Texas Tech
    Baylor

Big Ten

Ohio State

MAC
    Northern Illinois

MWC
    Fresno State

PAC-12
    Oregon

SEC
    Missouri
    Alabama

- - - Updated 10/28 - - -

8 Remaining Undefeated Teams

ACC - Florida State hosts Miami on Nov. 2
    Florida State
    Miami (FL)

Big 12
    Baylor

Big Ten
    Ohio State

MAC
    Northern Illinois

MWC
    Fresno State

PAC-12
    Oregon

SEC
    Alabama

My streak of uninterrupted posts stands at FIVE!

Miami fell last week, so now no conference has more than one undefeated team. But that means we can now focus on those 7 teams' remaining schedules...

7 Remaining Undefeated Teams & their remaining opponents

Florida State
    at Wake Forest
    vs Syracuse
    vs Idaho
    at Florida
    Conference title game

Baylor
    vs #10 Oklahoma
    vs #25 Texas Tech
    at #14 Oklahoma State
    at TCU
    vs Texas

Ohio State
    at Illinois
    vs Indiana
    at Michigan
    Conference title game

Northern Illinois
    vs Ball State
    at Toledo
    vs W. Michigan
    Conference title game

Fresno State
    at Wyoming
    vs New Mexico
    at San Jose State
    Conference title game

Oregon
    vs Utah
    at Arizona
    vs Oregon State
    Conference title game

Alabama
    vs #13 LSU
    at Mississippi State
    vs Chattanooga
    at #9 Auburn
    Conference title game

Hardest remaining schedules (not counting possible conference title match-ups)
    1) Baylor - 3 ranked opponents
    2) Alabama - 2 ranked opponents
    3) Oregon - Arizona & Oregon State are 7-4 in the PAC-12, Utah is 1-4 in conference
    4-tie) Ohio State - Indiana & Illinois are 1-7 in the Big10, Michigan is 6-2 (2-2)
    4-tie) Florida State - Wake & Cuse are 4-6 in the ACC, Idaho is 1-8, Florida is 4-4
    6) Fresno State - 2 road games
    7) Northern Illinois - 1 road game
    Last edited by ksensor; November 6, 2013 at 01:59pm.

Pretty amazing Hail Mary ending to the Nebraska game last week.

While many will call a Hail Mary pure luck, it's really more than that. Go out and try to throw a football sixty yards and you'll get what I mean. Added to that, the offensive line has to step in a major way since the D knows what's coming and is going to try to pressure the QB. Not only does the QB have to launch a huge pass, but it needs to be fairly accurate, right into a group in the end zone. Finally, someone needs to have the presence of mind to not get completely caught up in that group of potential receivers and defenders so if its deflected he can make the catch. All of that came together in a perfect storm for Nebraska, creating a memory that will live forever in Nebraska football and for the 95,000 fans fortunate enough to be in attendance at Memorial. Too bad it wasn't against Alabama.

On the downside, today we play Michigan in a game that has no upside since Michigan isn't ranked and is also fully capable a kicking Big Red's butt. The only hope for squeezing back into the rankings, I guess, is a victory against Michigan State next week, but even that doesn't mean we'll be playing for the conference title. All in all a mixed season -- not a terrible record and we're bowl eligible. But, as usual, not satisfying for Huskers fans. On balance, it's important to remain a fan even during dark times. As the Country song says, "Every storm runs out of rain."

EDIT: VICTORY IN THE BIG HOUSE!!! Michigan goes down, ending a 19-game at-home wining streak! Maybe it's because so many Huskers of old were accustomed to being in 'the big house', playing Saturday games on work release! Youch!

Anyway, my guys sure showed up today. And after dropping that punt, you can bet Westerkamp's the happiest Husker in Nebraska. After his Hail Mary catch last week, he nearly went from hero to bum. Now if we can just handle Michigan State next week -- one can always hope -- we might just crawl back into the top 25.

Now I'm off to see the Alabama game with Kim. I'm expecting fireworks...both during the game and later in our evening. She's always a happy camper where her Huskers win.

GO BIG RED!!!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 9, 2013 at 06:57pm.

And then there were six...

6 Remaining Undefeated Teams & their remaining opponents

Florida State
    vs Syracuse
    vs Idaho
    at Florida
    Conference title game

Baylor
    vs Texas Tech
    at #10 Oklahoma State
    at TCU
    vs #24 Texas

Ohio State
    at Illinois
    vs Indiana
    at Michigan
    Conference title game

Northern Illinois
    vs Ball State
    at Toledo
    vs W. Michigan
    Conference title game

Fresno State
    vs New Mexico
    at San Jose State
    Conference title game

Alabama
    at Mississippi State
    vs Chattanooga
    at #9 Auburn
    Conference title game

Nebraska has looked better in recent weeks. The haily mary finish a week ago was awesome and this week was a cool finish as well. I don't think they'd fair well against Ohio State or Wisconsin in a championship game if they manage to get by Michigan State and the remainder of the schedule.

Have you never heard of 'fantasy football'?

Nebraska has looked better in recent weeks. The haily mary finish a week ago was awesome and this week was a cool finish as well. I don't think they'd fair well against Ohio State or Wisconsin in a championship game if they manage to get by Michigan State and the remainder of the schedule.

I'm hoping at least 5 teams finish undefeated, just to make the BCS look even worse in it's final moments. Especially if one of the undefeated teams that doesn't gets left out of the title game is Ohio State. They have a very large, very *ahem* vocal fanbase, that won't think it's funny to be ignored after going 25-0 in 2 years.

I can't wait to hear how "fair" the system is to small schools when an undefeated Northern Illinois misses out on going to a second straight BCS bowl, but 1-loss Central Florida goes to the Sugar Bowl because UCF is in the AAC - which is still a BCS conference for some reason. Good times.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    I'm hoping at least 5 teams finish undefeated, just to make the BCS look even worse in it's final moments. Especially if one of the undefeated teams that doesn't gets left out of the title game is Ohio State. They have a very large, very *ahem* vocal fanbase, that won't think it's funny to be ignored after going 25-0 in 2 years.

I can't wait to hear how "fair" the system is to small schools when an undefeated Northern Illinois misses out on going to a second straight BCS bowl, but 1-loss Central Florida goes to the Sugar Bowl because UCF is in the AAC - which is still a BCS conference for some reason. Good times.
    I hope several teams go undefeated just to prove that a playoff system is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    I hope several teams go undefeated just to prove that a playoff system is needed.
    Exactly. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the playoffs next year. Even with just 4 teams, it's still so much better.

If we had a 4-team playoff this season (that started today), I'd guess the committee would pick Baylor over Stanford (since they're so close in the BCS ranking and Baylor's undefeated).
    So our 1st round match-ups would be:

#1 Alabama (9-0) vs #4 Baylor (8-0)
    #2 Florida State (9-0) vs #3 Ohio State (9-0)

I would watch the hell out of those games, as well as the championship game.

Kim and I saw the Ohio State/Michigan State game at Buffalo Wild Wings last night with some friends that are rabid OSU fans. I tried to warn them that OSU is highly overrated, that despite a long winning streak, OSU played few powerhouses in two years, partly because they weren't bowl eligible last year and partly because of a weak schedule this year.

Our friends wouldn't listen...until the half.

It was almost like an out-of-body experience to watch a game Kim and I have no skin in. After a season in which my Huskers totally sucked, this was kind of liberating.

Anyway, this has definitely been one of the most weird seasons I've ever been through. Still a lot of football to be played and I think it'll be interesting.