Thread: Warm Bodies

Heroic Warrior

Warm Bodies

I saw it recently and was surprised that it was good

Has anyone esle seen it yet?

Oh yeah, WAY better than I was expecting. Very much worthwhile, and with some great little contributions to the overall zombie movie genre.

I was recently reading a great big book full of zombie short stories, and there's one thing I learned from it was that there are many different but still very interesting interpretations of the zombie genre. I've heard some of the criticisms some have made about this movie, but if you watch it as just another interesting and different take on the genre with some style choices made to help with the story it wants to tell, it comes across much better.

But very, very funny. Corddry was HILARIOUS.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Nope, and if I am lucky, I never will. I am already sick of zombies as it is, but now they are just making Twilight with zombies.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

This takes place in the zombie apocalypse. A plague broke out and turned humans into zombies. One military leader built a giant wall to separate what's left of the human race into a quarantined area.

The movie takes a different approach to the whole genre. It's from the point of view of the zombies, one unique zombie in particular who still has some shred of humanity left. After he meets a human he likes, his humanity slowly starts to creep back and it's a catalyst for change between zombies and humans. There are also two types of zombies. The regular ones who have a shred of humanity left, but are dying and the skeletal looking ones who are dead and just animals who want to feed on the human race.

Despite looking like another Twilight, the movie is surprisingly good and funny. It's sort of a zombie Wall-E meets Romeo and Juliette. It's a fresh and unique take on the genre and I recommend it.

Heroic Warrior
    It is defenitly not "twilight with zombies" like I thought it would be. It is funny, with good dialog, and that zombie is more alive then Kristen Stewart will ever be.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    I don't know. I haven't seen it, and I'm not all that crazy about zombie movies to begin with, but it looks like an interesting new take. I'm not as invested with zombies as I am with vampires and werewolves, so the differences probably would not bother me like the ones in Twilight. On the other hand, not that interested in zombies so not sure if I would be that interested in a love story involving one.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

Your expectations are so low based on that post, you'd like it. It's more of a satire with some romance.

im going to see this either before the bacon eating contest or after the beard / mustache competition....
    Last edited by H.A.L.9000; February 7, 2013 at 04:11pm.
    Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
    But...there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,
    but not as brightly lit... a darkside.

I saw it last night. Very enjoyable film. It was definitely a different take on the zombie genre.
    Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.--Optimus Prime ROTF

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Nope, and if I am lucky, I never will. I am already sick of zombies as it is, but now they are just making Twilight with zombies.
    I kinda share your cynicism with 'Warm Bodies'. Don't get me wrong, I at least give it some credit for being self aware that it's riding on 'Twilight's coat tails, and tried to poke fun of it's ridiculousness in A zombie motif, but it's still symptomatic of what 'Twilight' has done to cinema in general. 'Twilight' started a trend that's the equivalent of unironically putting Jason Vorheese in A cereal commercial. (Or putting working class teamsters in A Macy's commercial with Justin Beiber.) Sure, it sounds ridiculous, and only works as A comedy sketch, but NOT in real practice, and the fact that ridiculous ideas that don't work at all are being done has made me more jaded, and cynical than I need to be! Sure, I don't mean to judge people's tastes, but some tastes bother me.
    Last edited by mbaker; February 9, 2013 at 10:08am.

It's not Twilight of zombies. Even cranky Roger Ebert gave this a good review.

Just going by the ads, I think that Emma Thompson/Jeremy Irons movie Beautiful Creatures has much more a Twilight wannabe vibe (meets Covenant meets True Blood), than Warm Bodies.

As for this being a comedy, I am sure they'll draw more laughs out of this premise than My Boyfriend's Back did twenty years ago, but in a post-Zombieland and post-Shaun of the Dead world, even spoofing the zombie sub-genre is getting tired. I like the word of mouth at least, but Hollywood needs a new monster (again).
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

At least that movie looks like a comedy in the traditional sense.

Heroic Warrior
    Anyone who calls Warm Bodies a twilight wanabe obviously hasn't seen it.

Warm Bodies is a comedy on purpose while Twilight is a comedy on accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    Warm Bodies is a comedy on purpose while Twilight is a comedy on accident.
    And the sad part is that the gossip rags, and the rabid fangirls think 'Twilight' is suppose to be an epic drama on purpose, and that normal people who see it as an accidental comedy are to be thrown into the gulag for daring to mock this so called 'epic'.
    Last edited by mbaker; February 14, 2013 at 04:12am.